What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

I'm not a boomer.....

But I also remember the 90.s .I was divorced with a kid....I worked avg of 70 hrs a week...one full time and one almost full time...and did some construction helping a buddy when he had a larger job....I was able to buy a small 2bd townhouse...

It can be done today also...but yeah your going o
To work 2 jobs if you want it..

Boomer here. I guess I had it made. First home was a mobile home at 8% interest with a stay at home wife. Next was our first house at 11.5% interest. That was a good rate at that time. I worked as much overtime as I could. Also worked 2 jobs. At one time I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for 17 straight weeks. Bought beater cars, flipped some, worked on them outside in the rain. Never bought a new car till I was 44 years old. Never took a cruise or lavish vacations. Our vacations were always camping trips.

I haven't done the math to compare wages to inflation but I damn well know that I didn't have it easy, nor did I just fall into good luck. I busted my ass and made sacrifice choices to become debt free.

On some level, sure, it’s all about choice.

But on the other hand useful idiot opionions like yours serve no purpose but to provide cover for the people who actively do things that make our society worse off. It is measureably harder to get by at a given standard of living than it was in decades past to the point where you can’t blame it all on Starbucks and Netflix and other lifestyle scope creep.

Share the measurements.

Because every generation has said the exact same thing. So learn the class why now is different.

Inflation is everywhere.

College has long been a joke

still lots of houses for sale out there, and i see more and more every week
Yup. What's out there isn't selling, and more are adding to the inventory as people can no longer afford their place with the recent property tax increases. Meanwhile, realtors are everywhere saying "date the rate, marry the price" trying to get some inventory moved and food on the table. Meanwhile, my neighbor had 3 showings in the past 6 months and one offer contingent upon the sale of their other place (it didn't sell). My other neighbor hasn't put his house on the market yet because of the lack of sales happening. My sister is trying to sell her house, no bites. Meanwhile, i was looking at listings locally and marveling that I have never seen so many homes on the market in this town at the same time.

I also noticed toys are on the market and sitting. All 5 repos I spoke of earlier in the thread are still sitting in front of the CU. Dealer lots are filling up and inventory has become stagnant. Trucks, too. There is a leftover new 2022 Ram Badlander something or other on the local dealer lot advertising over $20k off sticker... but I won't pay $70k for that, either.

We are on the precipice of economic disaster.

we are in the middle of a flux period. It is not a "new norm", not yet.
I will agree with this much.
Inflation drives costs up immediately and it takes time for salaries to match. They will.
That's a fancy way of saying people get robbed of their purchasing power and/or surplus to allocate towards things that will pay them back in the future for however long it takes for things to run their course.

Every one of you that says those old guys had it easy, cost of living was lower, etc is simply lying to yourself to maybe justify something happening in your life at the moment.

And every one of those old men and their simps (you) saying things weren't easier needs to look at the inflation adjusted cost of housing, transportation, education and healthcare over time.

You have peddled this exact falsehood so many times ignorance is no longer a defense. You are a liar.

Instead of crying about the current status of your earnings/spendings, recognize that you will make larger steps at some point in the future
Once again, just a fancy way of saying that people will have to waste productive years of their lives treading water.

and not get so discouraged about the small steps at the moment. Hell, if you are young&single, consider getting another (or first) degree or learn another trade. You are already poor, right? Then being a poor student isnt really a change. Or grab a second job and stack that away for the future. Start that company you have been dreaming about, using these times to get all the paperwork and planning done.
Why don't you pull your head out of your ass and think a few steps out as to how these would go. Education -> debt. Start a company? With what? Anything that has low capital and low time investment (i.e. no bullshit licenses) to start up at is going to be highly competitive because of immigrints and you'll wind up making that kind of money and living like them.

Cue Arse to suggest communistic ideas about only those with family money did better in the depression. Not true. Hard work, careful planning, and a bit of luck go a long way.
You're such a weasel with the english language you'd make a career politican blush.

Tell me, how many of those people who did well during the depression had little to nothing at the opening stages of it? And of those people who started with nothing how many of them managed to end with something? Are those good odds? Of course little is up to chance, one can always work smarter and harder, but the steeper the path to accumulating wealth is the less wealth a person of any given level of smarts and effort will accumulate on average.

You are using mental gymnastics and deceitful language to dance around the fact that the bulk of a generation was robbed of a decade with which to accumulate wealth.

Share the measurements.

Because every generation has said the exact same thing. So learn the class why now is different.
You can pick this stuff apart calculating things in terms cost vs average income or read the studies and methodology if you want. I'm not gonna spoon feed you. The TL;DR is that housing costs are constantly up and education is both up and required in more and more fields. The sources are pretty generally in agreement with disputes being about the exact numbers.

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 9.50.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 9.51.24 AM.png

The TL;DR is that housing costs are constantly up and education is both up and required in more and more fields. The sources are pretty generally in agreement with disputes being about the exact numbers.
Only, its not.:homer:

now i have to admit over the past 30 years i worked a bunch of overtime, more than 1000 hours of it a year. yes it sucked but we made the best of it. lots of wheeling camping and lake vacations. my father loaded up my mom and five kids and left Connecticut to Texarkana Tx so he would not have to work two jobs. he sold a house with good equity an rolled, that was 1969. he was a guard at a federal prison. once all the kids were in school my mom took a secretary job.

now i have to admit over the past 30 years i worked a bunch of overtime, more than 1000 hours of it a year. yes it sucked but we made the best of it. lots of wheeling camping and lake vacations. my father loaded up my mom and five kids and left Connecticut to Texarkana Tx so he would not have to work two jobs. he sold a house with good equity an rolled, that was 1969. he was a guard at a federal prison. once all the kids were in school my mom took a secretary job.
Yeah, I think it's important to note that a guy can do it by basically working 2 jobs

Also hoeflation plays into it too, we're kinda scraping the barrel on women that are worth partnering on a life with, Contemporary thought is a guy has to give 5x his time or money to get a wife that's 1/5th of the wife his grandpa got. I 100% give my grandmother the credit she's due for the "life my grandfather built"

That's a rare breed these days

I get what you're saying, and agree... but also... my house went from $245k to $450k in 3 years. Three. Years. I did nothing to it.

Imaginary 25 year old me in 2023 with the same job as 25yr old me in Y2K... its just not the same. I could make it work, but my life would be 180 degrees different and it would suuuuuuuuck.
This is me. Making almost the same as three years ago, used to be able to afford a house, single salary now Im screwed. In a 50 mile radius where I live......two houses for sale.

That's a fancy way of saying people get robbed of their purchasing power and/or surplus to allocate towards things that will pay them back in the future for however long it takes for things to run their course.
Are you suggesting that the same relationship regarding inflation and income is somehow different now than it was in the past? It has always worked this way. If you are looking for fairness, it doesnt exist like most hope.

And every one of those old men and their simps (you) saying things weren't easier needs to look at the inflation adjusted cost of housing, transportation, education and healthcare over time.

You have peddled this exact falsehood so many times ignorance is no longer a defense. You are a liar.
Not a liar. You are overlooking the fact that much of the cost you are facing exists because life standards have risen. You are expected to pay more to get what you think is equivalent, but is actually more.

You presented a house cost graphic that was adjusted for inflation. That is a start. But compare the typical house size, finishes and accessories from the 1960s to today. Houses today are 2 to 3 times bigger, have AC and a bunch of other appliances, multiple TVs, etc. You are looking at apples/oranges. If you price out a typical 1960s bungalo without AC, spartan kitchen, no garage, etc, you find it to cost a more reasonable amount. Do you WANT to live that way? Most dont, so then justify spending the extra cause "gotta have AC" or "gotta have that extra bedroom". I grew up in a 2 bedroom house with one bathroom and no garage. My sister and I shared the converted attic. It was hot in the summer, but I thought it was fine. I dont say that to be the "uphill both ways in the snow" guy. The point is the house my kids grew up in was twice as big and much more comfortable. But it cost me more.

Do the same inflation adjustment on pickups. Is the 1970s F150 the same value as a 2023 F150? Different size, different accessory, different capability and different projected lifespan. Part of that is now cheaper due to manufacturing technology and market expectation (ie every truck gets AC, etc, cant find barebones pickup anymore), but much of that is just being able to purchase MORE in a vehicle. The vehicle industry is focused on getting you to think you HAVE to have it, and arranges the offerings to encourage (even force) you to buy more than you need. The option is the shitbox life and a box of tools, which many have done for many years. I have never owned a new car, it makes no financial sense. I do appreciate all those dumbasses that just have to have the newness, as it keeps vehicle options available in the used market for me.

Once again, just a fancy way of saying that people will have to waste productive years of their lives treading water.
Nirvana doesnt exist.

Why don't you pull your head out of your ass and think a few steps out as to how these would go. Education -> debt. Start a company? With what? Anything that has low capital and low time investment (i.e. no bullshit licenses) to start up at is going to be highly competitive because of immigrints and you'll wind up making that kind of money and living like them.
That suggests to me you have never started a company and really have not much idea how to do it. Maybe you did and just forget what it took. Many, if not most, small companies are started with nothing but and idea and effort.

I weathered a crap economy in grad school. I accumulated a little debt, but I worked a job at the same time to offset what I could. It set me back a couple years on a career, but long run was more than worth it. Many others have done the same with similar results.

It is called investing during a time when the current returns are slim.

Tell me, how many of those people who did well during the depression had little to nothing at the opening stages of it? And of those people who started with nothing how many of them managed to end with something? Are those good odds? Of course little is up to chance, one can always work smarter and harder, but the steeper the path to accumulating wealth is the less wealth a person of any given level of smarts and effort will accumulate on average.
Many? No. I said some. My grandfather was one who left home with nothing and managed to buy a house and a car (who had those during that time) during the depression. Other family members, some did OK, some lost it all and endured poverty until Japan attached Pearl kicking off the war economy. The point being, things were MUCH worse then, and people were still able to figure things out, or if nothing else, weather through and start again later.

You are using mental gymnastics and deceitful language to dance around the fact that the bulk of a generation was robbed of a decade with which to accumulate wealth.
Do you actually think that this is the ONLY generation to have faced this kind of situation? Go park the poor me/poor us attitude. All of the reasons for the situation we currently face is due to factors outside the influence of each of us individually. Collectively as a people, over time, not one generation, but certainly outside of the influence of any one person. A person's trek toward financial security has to be crafted outside of relying on what worked for your dad or granddad. Everyone is facing the same decade of lost investment and I suggest, contrary to the money man guidance, that the loss is greater for those near the end of life than those starting out. Sure compounding interest is best accessed by investing sooner than later, but youth has the option to adjust course if necessary.

Keep in mind we are talking about retirement. Something that has really only existed since postwar periods. Crying about life being unfair that you cant afford the luxuries we take for granted and an opportunity to be a wart on society for your later years is childish. You may need to work to a later age than you "think" you should have to. Oh well. Life.

This is me. Making almost the same as three years ago, used to be able to afford a house, single salary now Im screwed. In a 50 mile radius where I live......two houses for sale.

Are you willing to move?

I always pictured myself living in the neighborhood I grew up in, but it went from "rural area with 2 bedroom starter homes on the outskirts of town, past the nice houses on a dirt road" to "acre mini ranches off the paved road between the nice older houses and the 5k premium tract homes on the golf course nestled up against the scenic mountains. There's a 950k house across the street from the house my folks bought new for 28k in 1978 and did a 30k addition in 1987. I'm pretty much priced out, partly by rising home costs, and trends in that 10 mile radius

Are you suggesting that the same relationship regarding inflation and income is somehow different now than it was in the past? It has always worked this way. If you are looking for fairness, it doesnt exist like most hope.
I don't seek fairness. I seek the absense of tone deaf opinions from fuckwads who played the game on easy mode and then left future generations holding the bag.

You presented a house cost graphic that was adjusted for inflation. That is a start. But compare the typical house size, finishes and accessories from the 1960s to today. Houses today are 2 to 3 times bigger, have AC and a bunch of other appliances, multiple TVs, etc.
Those TVs and shit cost peanuts

You are looking at apples/oranges. If you price out a typical 1960s bungalo without AC, spartan kitchen, no garage, etc, you find it to cost a more reasonable amount. Do you WANT to live that way? Most dont, so then justify spending the extra cause "gotta have AC" or "gotta have that extra bedroom". I grew up in a 2 bedroom house with one bathroom and no garage. My sister and I shared the converted attic. It was hot in the summer, but I thought it was fine.
You have the chicken and egg reversed. Economic dumbassery has made home buying a more exclusive club. Likewise homes cater to that more eclusive crowd (bigger houses, A/C, etc, etc)

Do the same inflation adjustment on pickups. Is the 1970s F150 the same value as a 2023 F150? Different size, different accessory, different capability and different projected lifespan. Part of that is now cheaper due to manufacturing technology and market expectation (ie every truck gets AC, etc, cant find barebones pickup anymore), but much of that is just being able to purchase MORE in a vehicle. The vehicle industry is focused on getting you to think you HAVE to have it, and arranges the offerings to encourage (even force) you to buy more than you need. The option is the shitbox life and a box of tools, which many have done for many years. I have never owned a new car, it makes no financial sense. I do appreciate all those dumbasses that just have to have the newness, as it keeps vehicle options available in the used market for me.
I think vehicles, themselves are mostly a lateral move because they last longer so that 50k F150 is gonna go through many more owners before it becomes a cheap shitbox but it'll probably still be just as good (in terms of dollars per results) of a cheap shitbox for the final guy but it'll be 20yo when he gets it vs 5 if the year were 1984.

But the cost of fielding the vehicle in terms of insurance, bullshit taxes and to a lesser extent fuel, are up and the first two of those are a direct result of the actions of the boomers. That's why I said transportation vs just new or used vehicle price.

That suggests to me you have never started a company and really have not much idea how to do it. Maybe you did and just forget what it took. Many, if not most, small companies are started with nothing but and idea and effort.

But you're going to have a hell of a time getting over the initial hump if the economic winds are blowing against you especially if you were not already well positioned to do so.

I weathered a crap economy in grad school. I accumulated a little debt, but I worked a job at the same time to offset what I could. It set me back a couple years on a career, but long run was more than worth it. Many others have done the same with similar results.

It is called investing during a time when the current returns are slim.

Many? No. I said some. My grandfather was one who left home with nothing and managed to buy a house and a car (who had those during that time) during the depression. Other family members, some did OK, some lost it all and endured poverty until Japan attached Pearl kicking off the war economy. The point being, things were MUCH worse then, and people were still able to figure things out, or if nothing else, weather through and start again later.
I'm not denying life will go on. What I want is the parties responsible for the current shitshow to be a little repentant rather than doubling down.

Do you actually think that this is the ONLY generation to have faced this kind of situation? Go park the poor me/poor us attitude.
Nope. Being born in 1900-1910ish was no picnic.

What I want is that people who were born in 1940-1970 and played the game on easy mode to shut their mouths. The only people who had it bad were the ones who became adults right into stagflation and the tradesman who were just barely too far into their careers to pull out at the time 08 hit. Those people are more or less a rounding error compared to the number of people affected when the globalists ran shit into the ground in 1929 or when they did it again in 2020.

Everyone is facing the same decade of lost investment and I suggest, contrary to the money man guidance, that the loss is greater for those near the end of life than those starting out.
I have no sympathy. They got us here.

Keep in mind we are talking about retirement. Something that has really only existed since postwar periods. Crying about life being unfair that you cant afford the luxuries we take for granted and an opportunity to be a wart on society for your later years is childish. You may need to work to a later age than you "think" you should have to. Oh well. Life.
Who's talking about retirement? We're talking about home buying.

I don't seek fairness. I seek the absense of tone deaf opinions from fuckwads who played the game on easy mode and then left future generations holding the bag.
Why? Would you rather just listen to people who have no answers continue to rabble on about the current situation? Or would it be more constructive to hear from people who weathered through similar situations to find out what they did that could be re-applied now?

I doubt financial reparations from "boomers" are going to be likely.

Those TVs and shit cost peanuts

You have the chicken and egg reversed. Economic dumbassery has made home buying a more exclusive club. Likewise homes cater to that more eclusive crowd (bigger houses, A/C, etc, etc)

I think vehicles, themselves are mostly a lateral move because they last longer so that 50k F150 is gonna go through many more owners before it becomes a cheap shitbox but it'll probably still be just as good (in terms of dollars per results) of a cheap shitbox for the final guy but it'll be 20yo when he gets it vs 5 if the year were 1984.

But the cost of fielding the vehicle in terms of insurance, bullshit taxes and to a lesser extent fuel, are up and the first two of those are a direct result of the actions of the boomers. That's why I said transportation vs just new or used vehicle price.
Your choices on spending are yours alone. The choices are different based on the actions of previous generations, but that has always been the fact. You go on and on like ALL boomers are evil masterminds, standing in the shadows, rubbing thier hands and just gloating over the hardships they purposely placed on future generations.
But you're going to have a hell of a time getting over the initial hump if the economic winds are blowing against you especially if you were not already well positioned to do so.
That "hump" happens to everyone, regardless at what point in life they are at. My father was completely wiped out by a similar inflationary period where both he and my mom lost thier jobs. Out of work for most of a year, he burned through the retirement funds he had scraped together trying to stay afloat. Having to start all over at the age of 50 is a pretty big "hump" to overcome.

My dad was career Air Force, we moved alot when I was young, which forced him to be purchasing houses when ordered to relocate, rather than when the market was favorable. One of those was purchased during Jimmy Carter's inflationary peak. There have been easier times to buy a house, but there have also been much worse. Current market pressures are not unique.

I'm not denying life will go on. What I want is the parties responsible for the current shitshow to be a little repentant rather than doubling down.

I think you are conflating boomers as a generation with shitbag politicians of that time. We have shitbag politicians now doing serious damage to generations yet to be born. Should you and your generation be taking responsibility for that?

What I want is that people who were born in 1940-1970 and played the game on easy mode to shut their mouths. The only people who had it bad were the ones who became adults right into stagflation and the tradesman who were just barely too far into their careers to pull out at the time 08 hit. Those people are more or less a rounding error compared to the number of people affected when the globalists ran shit into the ground in 1929 or when they did it again in 2020.
Historically, there have been good periods where people have flourished and tougher times when they have not. Luck, as to when you were born, plays a fair amount toward the quality of your life. The post war period was substantially good, if you lived in the US. The rest of the first world was pretty much wrecked and relied on the US manufacturing for a couple decades to rebuild. Luck. We benefitted greatly from that. Think of the hump to overcome that europeans faced.

So boomers had it pretty good. It wasnt all good, but they generally had it pretty good. Until the 70s anyway. But that was a pretty big hump that they faced as many boomers were just getting off the ground. But maybe it is better to just overlook that kink in the logic cause it tarnishes the idea that boomers experienced sunshine and honey with no effort and just lounged around fuckin the later generations.

Blaming boomers isnt helping anyone reach the position of affording the trappings that boomers are so hated for.

Who's talking about retirement? We're talking about home buying.
Point taken. I wandered off track with that one.

Im not gonna bother debating guys like clodhoppers boomer word diarrhea in length because im at work. But the number of you guys that seem to think a 90 hour week or two jobs is a thing to strive for or an acceptable standard of living is ridiculous. Especially as my home and car are not some super luxury items. Its a 2 bed 1 bath in the sticks and a 15 year old mercury. And i have an extremely good job for the area. But still i come closer and closer to not being able to make it every day. To think things are anything other than to an unacceptable state at this point is ridiculous and frankly pathetic. Two jobs or work 1000 hours of overtime a year is fine? No wonder half y'all want to paste the roof with your brains.

Im not gonna bother debating guys like clodhoppers boomer word diarrhea in length because im at work. But the number of you guys that seem to think a 90 hour week or two jobs is a thing to strive for or an acceptable standard of living is ridiculous. Especially as my home and car are not some super luxury items. Its a 2 bed 1 bath in the sticks and a 15 year old mercury. And i have an extremely good job for the area. But still i come closer and closer to not being able to make it every day. To think things are anything other than to an unacceptable state at this point is ridiculous and frankly pathetic. Two jobs or work 1000 hours of overtime a year is fine? No wonder half y'all want to paste the roof with your brains.
Move to Europe. Work fewer hours. Own less.

See? Not all wordy. :flipoff2:

Move to Europe. Work fewer hours. Own less.

See? Not all wordy. :flipoff2:
Or instead stop paying into things for your saggy ass ill never get to collect but cant opt out of. Like medicare and social security. Why am i paying for your AIDs pills gramps? I assume you have it since you seem to so fondly remember being ass fucked by the carter administration :flipoff2:. Use all that awesome money you worked 90 hours a week for.:flipoff2: Maybe make more money if the company would raise our wages instead of paying the ceo a "muh boomer entitlement" bonus. No seriously thats why he gets it. Because hes "entitled" to it. Thats why we hate your generation.

Last edited:
i fucking earned everything i have, i wasn't given out down payment assistance like a lot of the younger folks on here. to encourage them to buy a house' hell i never paid enough interest to over come the standard deduction. i earned the extra money so that i could hopefully retire early and enjoy life. i have a bunch i work with that only work 40, but they are still working at 60 plus.

Hiusing prices are way up but so are salaries compared to when a lot of boomers bought thie homes. My parents bought the house I grew up in, in 1977. 1800sf split level with a view up on a hill in unincorporated king county for 77k. They made a combined 65k/year and had a 17% interest rate. Now people can have a 2 family income 200k ish and buy a 300k starter home. Yes my parents was a starter home. It was out in the boonies back then. Call the cops city and county would fight over who had to respond type deal. As the city developed and the neighborhood got incorporated price skyrocketed. Even back then they could have barely afforded to live in the big city. But 30 years later the house had nicely appreciated and they did wel when they sold it. If you have a good combined income you could also rent something small for 2k a month out of the big arwas. Save your pennies and capitalize when either the market finally dumps or interest rates drop back down to the 5% range. Everyone want their dream keeping up with the jones lifestyle on natural ice budget and then whine when they cant find it. Hell our current house was in a undiscovered area for the most part. It got discovered and we coukd sell it for 3-4x what we paid for it in 2016 even in this market but its not close to a big city. Its about location and timing

Or instead stop paying into things for your saggy ass ill never get to collect but cant opt out of. Like medicare and social security. Why am i paying for your AIDs pills gramps? I assume you have it since you seem to so fondly remember being ass fucked by the carter administration :flipoff2:. Use all that awesome money you worked 90 hours a week for.:flipoff2: Maybe make more money if the company would raise our wages instead of paying the ceo a "muh boomer entitlement" bonus. No seriously thats why he gets it. Because hes "entitled" to it. Thats why we hate your generation.
Nice try. Not a boomer. And I dont expect SS to be available when I reach that age either. But I am still paying it too. You can hate on teh boomers but SS was before the silent generation. The greatest generation spawned that fun.

Agree mostly. The fact that dudes are in here arguing that inflation and the economy aren’t “that bad” is pretty hilarious. It could always be worse but what a comparison to just three years ago.

Agree mostly. The fact that dudes are in here arguing that inflation and the economy aren’t “that bad” is pretty hilarious. It could always be worse but what a comparison to just three years ago.
three or 4 years ago was one of the best times ever to buy a house, ever low rates. good prices, no wars, life was good.

Bullshit.

It might be highly competitive, but if you are honest, trustworthy, and do solid work then people will flock to you. Set yourself apart from the flock.

Stop making excuses for yourself. If you spent half the time busting your ass as you do whining and bitching about "muh boomerz" maybe you wouldn't be sucking hind tit.

I'll give you credit for irony... must be tough being a victim like you are...

i fucking earned everything i have, i wasn't given out down payment assistance like a lot of the younger folks on here. to encourage them to buy a house' hell i never paid enough interest to over come the standard deduction. i earned the extra money so that i could hopefully retire early and enjoy life. i have a bunch i work with that only work 40, but they are still working at 60 plus.
Same here. I owe no one an apology. I did what I had to do to support my family. Imagine the crying here if they had to pay the interest rates we paid. :lmao:
I didn't want to work overtime - I did it because my dad (a depression era child) taught me that to get ahead, I needed to put my head down, work hard and make something of myself.

RE social security, I will never see anywhere close to what I have paid into it. But I paid handsomely so I have no regrets collecting it.

Top Back Refresh