What's new

How hard is inflation going to hit, or has hit?

I keep getting tempted to shit-can my internet and just go all in on the cellular data. Need to look at what my actual usage is though. Girlfriend gets a bunch of free streaming shit because she has some super platinum gold credit card that comes with that so we burn through the 1080p say nothing of my hour of 1080p streaming between when I get home and she gets home. :laughing:

Oil prices.
Why are they so artificially low? Somebody has gotta be producing at or below cost, by the charts the US is still the largest producer by far... I was just recently told "it's the russians" which we all know what that means.

Are we currently printing money to flood the oil and gas market?

Oil prices.
Why are they so artificially low? Somebody has gotta be producing at or below cost, by the charts the US is still the largest producer by far... I was just recently told "it's the russians" which we all know what that means.

People are driving less, warm winter so far, so less fuel oil and propane/natural gas being burned.
All leads to less demand which combined with US producers pumping more (we hit a record week in the first week of Oct 2023 per: US oil production hits all-time high, conflicting with efforts to cut heat-trapping pollution ) means a glut of oil and (eventually) lower prices.

Aaron Z

People are driving less, warm winter so far, so less fuel oil and propane/natural gas being burned.
All leads to less demand which combined with US producers pumping more (we hit a record week in the first week of Oct 2023 per: US oil production hits all-time high, conflicting with efforts to cut heat-trapping pollution ) means a glut of oil and (eventually) lower prices.

Aaron Z
In addition, truckload shipping demand is down about 30% YoY, and more than 50% from 2 years ago. That's a lot less diesel being burned.

I keep getting tempted to shit-can my internet and just go all in on the cellular data. Need to look at what my actual usage is though. Girlfriend gets a bunch of free streaming shit because she has some super platinum gold credit card that comes with that so we burn through the 1080p say nothing of my hour of 1080p streaming between when I get home and she gets home. :laughing:
I ditched mine, did not see a point in paying $60 or so a month for something I seldom used (OTR 3/4 weeks at a time).

Don't miss it at all, I make do with my cell phone/data plan.

Oil prices.

Because corn subsidies for ethanol. We are paying ALOT for fuel we just don’t see it reflected at the pump.

In addition, truckload shipping demand is down about 30% YoY, and more than 50% from 2 years ago. That's a lot less diesel being burned.
boy do I wish that was reflected at the pump... IMHO, Diesel is artificially high

Oil prices.

Election year. What else do you need to know?

What is interesting is that accounting for inflation, gas is cheaper now than when I started driving in the 90s.

What is interesting is that accounting for inflation, gas is cheaper now than when I started driving in the 90s.

i would disagree. i dont know when you started driving, but during the 90s, id regularly pay $0.75 a gallon for gas, even into the late 90s.

0.75 in 1998 is $1.43 today.

no one is paying $1.43 for gas today. so i dont know where your numbers came from.

Now if you want to use the "high" in the 90s and say its $1.40, then ok..... thats $2.66 now.

According to the videos on Instagram, you just need to buy 10 properties, and then rent them out for 10k a month. 100k a month in profit, with nearly zero effort. I don't know why anybody works a 40hr week. Suckers.
DCD37E1C-0DE5-47B7-A1A8-B9125B6633A1.jpeg

i would disagree. i dont know when you started driving, but during the 90s, id regularly pay $0.75 a gallon for gas, even into the late 90s.

0.75 in 1998 is $1.43 today.

no one is paying $1.43 for gas today. so i dont know where your numbers came from.

Now if you want to use the "high" in the 90s and say its $1.40, then ok..... thats $2.66 now.

In CT in the late 90s gas was in the low $1.XX range.

Remember, inflation calculators use the official inflation figures that no one here believes. I remember how traumatic it was to put $20 in the tank of my '78 Cherokee back then :laughing:

that's what I mean, there isn't enough money in the world to make that up in subsidies

the market manipulation has to be on the regulatory/production side
either cost of production went way down (some new development in fracking or whatever?) or maybe someone's paying the oil companies to produce at a loss or some similar shit.

It can't simply be subsidy with how large of a portion the energy market is of the world GDP

They using the inflation markers that ignore staples like food and fuel, still?
Why would they use that in the cpi calculations. They get better numbers when they use luxury items like tv’s and cell phones for these numbers:lmao::flipoff2:

I've been checking FB marketplace more often recently and it looks to me that there are far more toys for sale, for substantially lower prices. Am I wrong?
Not wrong… I can’t even sell a nv241 rock-trac for a TJ and I’m not even asking eBay pricing

that's what I mean, there isn't enough money in the world to make that up in subsidies

the market manipulation has to be on the regulatory/production side
either cost of production went way down (some new development in fracking or whatever?) or maybe someone's paying the oil companies to produce at a loss or some similar shit.

It can't simply be subsidy with how large of a portion the energy market is of the world GDP
I think the oil market is unique in the “mark up”. They have been marking up the price for such a ridicules amount for so many decades, they can afford to keep prices steady. At least they could before. Now I think they are actually getting close to normal profit levels.

Nope, that's deflation that
I've been checking FB marketplace more often recently and it looks to me that there are far more toys for sale, for substantially lower prices. Am I wrong?

Nope, that's deflation that people swear will never happen. It happens in big ticket items first, typically financed, autos and housing, then wages, then people buy less produced goods, so retailers get overstocked and clearance stuff out, more deflation, then order less new stuff, manufacturers cut back on production and for a while everybody sells less goods at the old high price while they see which way things go. You might not see "the price drop" at the grocery store, but many more sales one after the next to keep the stock moving

You also could also see biflation, where your wages and home value go to shit, but gas is $5, your electric bill is 400 and 1200mo in groceries, typically caused by inflation coupled with high unemployment, see "misery index" or "Japan's lost decade" which is 2 decades now

Nope, that's deflation that

Nope, that's deflation that people swear will never happen. It happens in big ticket items first, typically financed, autos and housing, then wages, then people buy less produced goods, so retailers get overstocked and clearance stuff out, more deflation, then order less new stuff, manufacturers cut back on production and for a while everybody sells less goods at the old high price while they see which way things go. You might not see "the price drop" at the grocery store, but many more sales one after the next to keep the stock moving

You also could also see biflation, where your wages and home value go to shit, but gas is $5, your electric bill is 400 and 1200mo in groceries, typically caused by inflation coupled with high unemployment, see "misery index" or "Japan's lost decade" which is 2 decades now

My theory is that as the price of necessities is still extremely high, the price of non-necessities is coming down, as people no longer have the money for these. So inflation is creating deflation elsewhere.

Was there a dumping of toys before the 2008 meltdown?

Top Back Refresh