What's new

Honkylips crawler hauler project

one update i did was to install a exhaust extension on the generator. which is basically a 1" flex hose and clamp to the existing exhaust pipe. the CO detector on the generator would kill it occasionally even with the diamond tread cover taken off. After routing the exhaust out to the outside of the trailer decking now it can run with the diamond tread cover on. added a CO alarm in the camper just in case as well. ran wire to run the chinese diesel heater off of the 12v battery so i dont have to run the generator for heat.
Cool small updates to make sure you don’t wake up dead from too much CO. :eek:

one update i did was to install a exhaust extension on the generator. which is basically a 1" flex hose and clamp to the existing exhaust pipe. the CO detector on the generator would kill it occasionally even with the diamond tread cover taken off. After routing the exhaust out to the outside of the trailer decking now it can run with the diamond tread cover on. added a CO alarm in the camper just in case as well. ran wire to run the chinese diesel heater off of the 12v battery so i dont have to run the generator for heat.

I always wondered if running a generator exhaust into a car muffler would quiet it down. Or maybe one of those whisper exhaust kits for hunting 4wheelers?

What kind of car muffler do most folks use? Seems like most of the noise comes out of the engine case for my setup, but i'm sure a muffler would help some.

What kind of car muffler do most folks use? Seems like most of the noise comes out of the engine case for my setup, but i'm sure a muffler would help some.
You would have to build a baffled sound proof box to get it truly quiet but, a big honkin muffler would help. Mounting it on isolators of some sort would stop it from transferring vibrations to the trailer. Even if subtle, they are there. If the look wouldn't bother you, covering the exterior with PT's fancy sound deadening material would help some. Nothing will beat a decoupled box though.

Something like this. Could even run 2 if you wanted. One inch flex hose to connect. Like mentioned above, you could build a plywood box with 2 inch Styrofoam insulation on the inside of it, that you could set over the generator. give it some air app for some cooling and that would help a little more

Something like this. Could even run 2 if you wanted. One inch flex hose to connect. Like mentioned above, you could build a plywood box with 2 inch Styrofoam insulation on the inside of it, that you could set over the generator. give it some air app for some cooling and that would help a little more
Don't use styrofoam, it's too rigid, use rock wool and cover it with fabric. Thump a piece of styrofoam with your finger, it acts like a speaker cone!

The uber high end stuff is foam with a layer of lead bonded to it!

IMG_9405.jpeg
IMG_9313.jpeg
IMG_9312.jpeg
Well how's about an update after the KOH trip?
overall it was a great success. The only issue was the passenger rear tire inner tread got eaten up so im taking it to an rv/semi aligner to have the axle checked out and adjusted or replaced. but other than that. 3 grown men and a dog living in it for a week it served us pretty well. hot showers, toilet, sink all were nice to have.

takeaways-
the diesel heater can run 5 nights keeping the temp at 70 degrees on a single tank of fuel. which is about 1.5 gallons
towed easy, with the axles so far back you gotta take turns wiiiiiiide

Top Back Refresh