What's new

Honkylips crawler hauler project

Honky Lips

Welcome to the shit show.
Member Number
Loc
Omaha, Ne “ish”
Picked up this super clean 1998 Hallmark it has 20 foot of enclosed space and 20 foot of trailer deck with a 5 foot dovetail.

Day one after getting a Home was taking everything out of the inside I didn’t want and modifying it. There was a long bench countertop thing that just took up all the room in the trailer so I took it out, modified it, shorten the feet and use it as a platform for the jack bed and fridge. Hung a 32 inch TV and got rid of the shower curtain bathroom door and installed the track sliding door.

I found the pull out couch and the jack bed on Facebook. a guys wife replaced them with recliners in their camper so for $150 I got seating and beds for the kids.

The next thing to do is uncobbling all the shitty wiring, with 12 V ceiling lights, and 110 V lights as well as the fridge being 110 I decided to install a 2 breaker panel would be easiest. Since I’m gonna have a solar panel charging a deep cycle battery I decided to use a rigid pack out box for the battery box and it will also hold the 110 to 12 V converter. That way I can run all the roof lights off shore power or generator. Then use the battery for an arb cooler while traveling. I might get a 12 V 110 inverter to run the fridge while traveling but I don’t know how much power it will draw.
5E98E6FE-3565-45D8-8630-CA8C0DB69F7E.jpeg
19C1158B-81A7-4F6E-AAB6-0D4E34EF22B3.jpeg
9594A514-B877-491E-A643-6A4E555D00DF.jpeg
D61DB3CE-D41F-46B4-801B-F14CB78DF2EE.jpeg
0917DFD0-C3A9-457A-8DB5-91A72DCA88CE.jpeg
663C739A-641C-475E-900D-F83D45B024FA.jpeg
2C0FCF39-EABA-4B37-8B1D-7C4A0FB8A8A6.jpeg

It’s not gonna be a 125k sundowner but it’s going to be a pretty solid unit. Always looking for advice as well. Don’t know how much work I want to put into cleaning things up as I don’t know if I really can but if anyone has any ideas on that, I’m all ears.

Get some cards and board games

Although I admit we used a tablet to watch a movie a few nights recently, but that was like day 13 and 14 on a 2 week trip

That's fucking cool. I really like that trailer.

Can you grab some shots of how the frame is set up? Torsion axles I assume? Also curious what the back wall looks like from the outside.

I'm toying with the idea of extending my enclosed goose, and am now kicking myself for not thinking of just making it a flat deck behind the box. That's really cool.

Nice setup! What’s the interior height of the enclosed section?

Got any pictures of the open back section?

It’s about 7 foot interior height. And yes, torsion axles.

DCBF98B9-5AED-40E5-B6E0-358299F72E59.jpeg
5AA3AD37-22C3-4D66-8D36-419DA29F2C4F.jpeg
5A6C7C57-C515-4CBC-8880-215E0E7F4B1B.jpeg
Very cool and I really like that setup. Was going to mention utilizing the upper parts of the walls for storage of things like popup canopy tents, camping chairs, etc.

Fuck me, I love that. Patrick, this is the way, but with a deck above the open section. Honky Lips you should build a deck above the open trailer section so you can drink beers up top and heckle the plebians down below you, lol.

This seems so attainable to me. I want to do this to mine.

Fuck me, I love that. Patrick, this is the way, but with a deck above the open section. Honky Lips you should build a deck above the open trailer section so you can drink beers up top and heckle the plebians down below you, lol.

This seems so attainable to me. I want to do this to mine.
Yeah I like this setup.

As for yours, it’s just a sawzall or torch away from being attainable, complete with deck option :lmao:

Honky Lips any idea what the trailer weighs empty? What’s the trailer rated for?
no idea empty. i do want to scale it though. 13,500 gvwr is on the tag. but it pulls super easy and stable. i'm getting aluminum diamond plate cut this week to use as filler panels to keep the tool boxes and generator covered and hidden. using 1/4 turn fasteners to hold them down. it'll just look like part of the flatbed to the thieves. hopefully anyways.

as for the deck, i mean it has crossed my mind.

no idea empty. i do want to scale it though. 13,500 gvwr is on the tag. but it pulls super easy and stable. i'm getting aluminum diamond plate cut this week to use as filler panels to keep the tool boxes and generator covered and hidden. using 1/4 turn fasteners to hold them down. it'll just look like part of the flatbed to the thieves. hopefully anyways.

as for the deck, i mean it has crossed my mind.
I’m always intrigued by weights so that’s why I asked.

The diamond plate idea sounds great especially for theft deterrent and to finish out the deck area.

Is this a trailer that Hallmark made at one time or was this converted at some point in it's life?

It is all hallmark, trailer chassis and camper section. But you can tell it started as a flatbed trailer. With how excellent everything fits I’m wondering if hallmark upfitted it.

Black tanks installed. That fucking sucked. All day affair test fitting and adjusting to get the toilet, shower, sink and vent all hooked up. Soo many times up and down all day. But it’s done. Well except welding the crossmember mount on but that won’t take but a minute.

Tomorrows goals are to hook up the 110v bulkhead plug so i have an outlet in the outside of the camper. Had to move the toilet to work with the new black tank so patching the floor needs to get done, and wire up the tank level sensor panel that includes the water pump switch on it. Fancy stuff.

BC3CEAA0-9EF0-4192-87E5-4380789FF267.jpeg

It is all hallmark, trailer chassis and camper section. But you can tell it started as a flatbed trailer. With how excellent everything fits I’m wondering if hallmark upfitted it.

Black tanks installed. That fucking sucked. All day affair test fitting and adjusting to get the toilet, shower, sink and vent all hooked up. Soo many times up and down all day. But it’s done. Well except welding the crossmember mount on but that won’t take but a minute.

Tomorrows goals are to hook up the 110v bulkhead plug so i have an outlet in the outside of the camper. Had to move the toilet to work with the new black tank so patching the floor needs to get done, and wire up the tank level sensor panel that includes the water pump switch on it. Fancy stuff.

BC3CEAA0-9EF0-4192-87E5-4380789FF267.jpeg
Fighting with a black tank is no fun but at least it’s in there now. Did it not already have one? Does it have a gray tank?

Top Back Refresh