What's new

Future of KOH 4400 chassis/car development?

Bigger transaxle doesn't make up for the poor unsprung weight ratio in the front/the lack of straight line stability from heavy rear weight bias. There have been a couple 1 cars with front engine/rear transaxle, but they weren't well funded enough to make a real effort. There is an AWD 1 car being built. I doubt it will be as effective as a AWD TT for the same reasons.
Absolutely. The dynamics of a Class1 will never be as good as those from a TT.

I'm just saying that a weak gearbox isn't really why Class1s are slower.

I've got a question on this topic, how are F/R weight biases across all different classes across the spectrum?

I know U4 started super front heavy like all regular front engine vehicles, but have been pushing that weight further back with mid engine combos and spares hanging far off the back. Is the range like 45F/55R on vehicles like UFOs, Campbells, Horschels etc? How about Millers and Bombers?

From what I've gathered prerunners like to end up around 40/60 ish ballpark

Are trophy trucks in that same range? Have they started shifting weight back toward the front with the advent of 4wd?

Also how about class 1s, are they like 20/80 or something crazy like that?

Companies could build a bigger/better transaxle.

The TTs are way past TH400s and it didn't stop them from developing new stuff to keep pushing the envelope.
It's been a while since I have looked into it, but I think the issue was packaging bigger ring and pinion gears. Weaker ring and pinion means less power and smaller tires. Portals might be the thing that gets class 1s competitive again.

It's been a while since I have looked into it, but I think the issue was packaging bigger ring and pinion gears. Weaker ring and pinion means less power and smaller tires. Portals might be the thing that gets class 1s competitive again.
Bunch of Class1s running 39s these days. They still slower than TTs.

TTs will never look that good though...

1709006443573.jpeg

From the article you linked:

"The major addition to this car was a hydraulically operated rear steering rack, which Moog electro-valves able to alter the steering angle of the rear wheels by two degree in either direction.

In an attempt to minimise any safety implications the hydraulics were designed to go into a preset ‘fail safe’ position in the event of failure, pointing the wheels straight.

ADVERT | BECOME A RACEFANS SUPPORTER AND GO AD-FREE

The system was also designed to be turned off and on at will, allowing the driver to run the car with a conventional front wheel steer set up if he preferred.

Patrese disliked the sensation of four-wheel-steering
And in the event that was exactly what drivers Schumacher and Riccardo Patrese did prefer, finding the four wheel steer set up added nothing to the car in terms of lap time. But it did, as far as Patrese was concerned, produce an unusual handling sensation."

It was tried and was of no use so even if it wasn't banned it wouldn't be used today.

Bunch of Class1s running 39s these days. They still slower than TTs.

TTs will never look that good though...

1709006443573.jpeg
Huh. Guess I need to do some reading on current state of the art for Class 1. Is trailing arm still the norm or has A-arm and multilink stuff like some of the 4400s and SxSs started to show up?

Class 1s and their dune going cousins will always look better.

The trophy truck vs class 1 debate is somewhat tainted by SCORE requiring class 1s to use traditionally weaker transaxles instead of allowing a transmission and ifs diff.

That and SCORE making class 1s start behind the TTs slow them down when they get caught in the slower TT traffic.

**That's the way it used to be, is it still like that? Haven't followed that much for a few years.

Bigger transaxle doesn't make up for the poor unsprung weight ratio in the front/the lack of straight line stability from heavy rear weight bias. There have been a couple 1 cars with front engine/rear transaxle, but they weren't well funded enough to make a real effort. There is an AWD 1 car being built. I doubt it will be as effective as a AWD TT for the same reasons.

so by the same logic, a utv falls into the same category

My engine isn't hanging out the back of my car.....

20240216_195855.jpg

Those are the as raced #'s from last season
It also doesn’t have any of the endurance stuff on it. Big fuel tank, winch, spare, jack, tools, coms etc. My guess is you’d be headed towards 2400 pounds with that thing to put a passenger seat in it and beadlocks with bigger off-road tires

It was tried and was of no use so even if it wasn't banned it wouldn't be used today.
JMO, but the sample size is a little small to make such a determination, especially since driver familiarity and preference would factor in so heavily to any such analysis.

Pellegrino dropped a KOH recap video yesterday. Not direct tech per se, but always nice to watch how unique builds moves on the race course

Also can someone clarify for me - is the Lambroghini a new iteration of the Unicorn, or is that a separate chassis that they moved past?

Pellegrino dropped a KOH recap video yesterday. Not direct tech per se, but always nice to watch how unique builds moves on the race course

Also can someone clarify for me - is the Lambroghini a new iteration of the Unicorn, or is that a separate chassis that they moved past?

I also enjoy watching all the different recap videos form the various racers.

If I recall correctly, Jordan's is the same base as the Lasernut car just with their (Pellegrino's) own twist on how to address various issues over the years of racing.

Rumor has it Justin Hall is planning on or building an Ifs car. He has more real world racing and competitive crawling experience then 95%+ of the field but is on a working mans budget. It will be interesting to see whay he comes up with.
E0F11CCF-2002-42C9-ADBF-4BF811A37896.jpeg

I also enjoy watching all the different recap videos form the various racers.

If I recall correctly, Jordan's is the same base as the Lasernut car just with their (Pellegrino's) own twist on how to address various issues over the years of racing.

lots of differences between jordans and codys car. they both have portals, both FIS beyond, and both are 5gal bucket with 39.87gals of crap shoved in them.

lots of differences between jordans and codys car. they both have portals, both FIS beyond, and both are 5gal bucket with 39.87gals of crap shoved in them.
Gotcha. I knew they were both from Triton with various differences, but thought the overall platform was from a similar base (more similarities than differences).

I was under the impression the Lambroghini was a completly new car, different from the last FIS car they had, but I really have no idea. I think Josh Frey had designed the Lambroghini whereas the old car was a Triton. Could be that Josh just did updates to the old car also.

Gotcha. I knew they were both from Triton with various differences, but thought the overall platform was from a similar base (more similarities than differences).

codys was designed by igor when he was still a partner at armada. quinn of 74weld wanted to get in on the action and was working with igor while he was still at armada to build two cars with some updates. chassis were armada designed, then igor left and started triton, triton build the chassis and then quinn decided to sell out. jordan bought a roller and finished it out himself. last i heard quinn was still trying to get rid of the sister chassis.

codys rear was an a-arm style rear, jordans resembles more a utv style rear.

igor is designing all of loren stuff, tommy dykstras new car, and kevin stearns car.

I was under the impression the Lambroghini was a completly new car, different from the last FIS car they had, but I really have no idea. I think Josh Frey had designed the Lambroghini whereas the old car was a Triton. Could be that Josh just did updates to the old car also.

the lambroghini is the triton car with a lot of rework.

this one was pretty good, watched it this am.

codys was designed by igor when he was still a partner at armada. quinn of 74weld wanted to get in on the action and was working with igor while he was still at armada to build two cars with some updates. chassis were armada designed, then igor left and started triton, triton build the chassis and then quinn decided to sell out. jordan bought a roller and finished it out himself. last i heard quinn was still trying to get rid of the sister chassis.

codys rear was an a-arm style rear, jordans resembles more a utv style rear.

igor is designing all of loren stuff, tommy dykstras new car, and kevin stearns car.
👍 thanks for the clarification/additional info.

Is that the thing with the articulating fenders to allow more uptravel than the body visually seems to allow? Super interesting stuff all around. I wonder how wide the WMS is with that 30" travel

The details on this thing are horrendous.
It looks cool but you can definitely tell that dude builds road going cars and has no offroad experience.

Top Back Refresh