What's new

E4OD transmission swap

VSS Pigtail:

Dorman 645-213 Vehicle Speed Sensor Pigtail Amazon.com

Bronco Graveyard lists all the different length speedo cables, and they have the speed sensor and the pigtail as well if you want to get all your parts in one place.

e4odsolenoidcharts.jpg

neat picture

Description: On gasoline engines, the profile ignition pickup sensor sends a signal to the powertrain control module indicating the engine rpm and the crankshaft position.
Symptoms: Engine will stall or miss.
Diagnostic Trouble Codes: 211, P0340, P0341, P0344.

this is the one that I need to add for RPM/tach signal to the PCM. answers many questions i'd had.

wire diagram has the following from ignition system to PCM:
Position 4, Ignition Diagnostic Module
Position 16, Ignition Ground
Position 36, Spark Output Signal
Position 56, Profile Ignition Pickup

and according to the diagnostic trouble code link, the Profile Ignition Pickup is the only signal that matters for the transmission shifting, the rest just deal with ignition timing.

maybe see what happens without it, maybe tie in the green wire/tach output to that spot, haven't thought about it enough yet.

EDIT:

WillyB
user_offline.gif

Post Fiend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PIP is the output signal of the Hall-Effect device in your distributor. The controller uses if to determine which cylinder is firing, engine RPM and to time when the next spark should happen. (It sets the advance for the next cylinder.) When that time comes, the controller will output the SPOUT pulse, which the ignition module uses to trigger the coil.

The ignition module returns an IDM signal (Ignition Diagnostic Monitor) that the controller compares to the SPOUT, and, if different, concludes that there is a problem with the ignition module. The IDM is tied to the same pin as the coil and tachometer are.

If the ignition module does not receive a SPOUT command, it will fire the coil on the next PIP pulse. Since the distributor is set for a 10 degree advance, the timing will be set at a constant 10 degrees.

alright, that clears that up. it wants the signal from the distributor and not the tach output. for the 78 with duraspark 2, purple wire to dist is + and orange is - for the hall effect sensor, so I'd wager sending the Orange wire to PCM slot 56 would be most correct

Last edited:
GTFOH. The E4OD was around 83?
not a chance, 1989 according to all the Ford stuff that I can find :laughing:

I think the guy that uploaded the document to SuperMotors also owns an '83 and was just adding this to his files and folders. Kind of like doing a search for the "resources" or "media" tabs here.

If the supermotors site implodes, it'll be worse for the DIY automotive internet than photobucket collapsing :laughing:

not a chance, 1989 according to all the Ford stuff that I can find :laughing:

I think the guy that uploaded the document to SuperMotors also owns an '83 and was just adding this to his files and folders. Kind of like doing a search for the "resources" or "media" tabs here.

If the supermotors site implodes, it'll be worse for the DIY automotive internet than photobucket collapsing :laughing:
That’s what my “common” knowledge of ford says. 89 first actual year. But every once in a while I learn something new or some obscure model with experimental stuff in an earlier year. Thought you had one for a second and there’s other stuff in that picture that I was sure wasn’t in an 83 model. Looking closer, the pic is a brick nose anyway

C-6 automatic transmission control system locater, shift arm and vacuum tube. (For full manual valve body, omit vacuum tube)
Having the kick down connected helps too, though I've found I greatly prefer low line pressure to high if it's gotta be disconnected

Top Back Refresh