What's new

DRIVESHAFT TECH IN CHIT CHAT WANTS: 74'' 7K RPM

Clutch was most likely shot. Every one of my trucks has needed one, and I never knew it until I pulled something and had it get warmer than normal.
When I did the 6L swap 3 or 4 years ago I ditched the mech fan. again to gain 15 hp. supposedly. from youtubes. snagged a used rad and fan setup at the salvage yard. replaced both because in these trucks the early years had a smaller rad, think maybe 04ish they went to a wider rad. Iirc the rad got bigger when gm went electric fan. :laughing: maybe you're on to something.

some where in there i put in a 160 tstat. that didnt help. at the Sandhills race there is a parade around town friday before the race, last year it got hot. like 240/260 hot. had to run it down the highway 20 miles to get it back under melt temps.

So far the mishimoto rad and flexlite fan(along with a 180 stat) have kept it below 210. hovers at 200 ish.

flx-282.jpg
mio-mmrad-gmt-99_hc_xl.jpg

Flex-A-Lite Direct-Fit Dual Electric Fans 282​

Mishimoto Performance Radiators MMRAD-GMT-99​

When I did the 6L swap 3 or 4 years ago I ditched the mech fan. again to gain 15 hp. supposedly. from youtubes. snagged a used rad and fan setup at the salvage yard. replaced both because in these trucks the early years had a smaller rad, think maybe 04ish they went to a wider rad. Iirc the rad got bigger when gm went electric fan. :laughing: maybe you're on to something.

some where in there i put in a 160 tstat. that didnt help. at the Sandhills race there is a parade around town friday before the race, last year it got hot. like 240/260 hot. had to run it down the highway 20 miles to get it back under melt temps.

So far the mishimoto rad and flexlite fan(along with a 180 stat) have kept it below 210. hovers at 200 ish.

flx-282.jpg
mio-mmrad-gmt-99_hc_xl.jpg

Flex-A-Lite Direct-Fit Dual Electric Fans 282​

Mishimoto Performance Radiators MMRAD-GMT-99​

Based on what I have learned in the cooling fan TECH thread that fan is not that great...
28 amps, is under 400w....
But also at your speeds the fan is going to be more of a problem than a help I bet. I imagine the ability to exhaust air from the engine compartment is more of a problem than the amount of air you can intake through the grill.
Might try to raise the rear of the hood as something to try.

1718909238938.png

But also at your speeds the fan is going to be more of a problem than a help I bet. I imagine the ability to exhaust air from the engine compartment is more of a problem than the amount of air you can intake through the grill.
Might try to raise the rear of the hood as something to try.
We've talked about hood vents or raising the back.

I don't want to be that guy buuuut...... Mishimoto makes garbage and you will regret buying that at some point.

Based on what I have learned in the cooling fan TECH thread that fan is not that great...

If i wouldve asked 4 years ago would all you guys have told me not to build out this truck? save my money and buy a car already set up to go? :lmao:

I cant do anything right.....:laughing:

itll all be fine, until its not. then i'll fix it. but not without coming here first. :laughing:

Drive shaft is ordered. itll be 3.5'' steel 2 piece with a solid cast pillow block.

now......tell me how wrong thats going to be, I cant hardly wait......:lmao:

All that rotating weight is going to slow you down so now you are back to needing more HP to go the same speed. It's a vicious cycle......

:flipoff2::lmao:

They don't have to stay cool on the street. They get plenty of air. They design everything around moving air through the coolers on it's own, not relying on the fans. Also guessing they get a hell of a lot more cooling capacity than the standard street car.:laughing:
what are you talking about?

Most of the street cars that the GT4’s are based on make more horsepower on the street than we are allowed under balance of performance. You can take the stock 575 hp AMG and with a tune and exhaust you can run 750hp. At no point do they ever address the cooling systems.
Some of the race cars run with blanked off panels per homologation so actually less cooling spec than OEM showroom.

Take a visit to Wisconsin when SRO visit and watch actual race cars driven at barely faster than walking pace from Road America to be displayed in the local town. And done at Spa and done at LeMans for tech. Cannot recall us ever having cooling issues during these promotions

And not a mechanical fan anywhere to be seen.

what are you talking about?

Most of the street cars that the GT4’s are based on make more horsepower on the street than we are allowed under balance of performance. You can take the stock 575 hp AMG and with a tune and exhaust you can run 750hp. At no point do they ever address the cooling systems.
Some of the race cars run with blanked off panels per homologation so actually less cooling spec than OEM showroom.

Take a visit to Wisconsin when SRO visit and watch actual race cars driven at barely faster than walking pace from Road America to be displayed in the local town. And done at Spa and done at LeMans for tech. Cannot recall us ever having cooling issues during these promotions

And not a mechanical fan anywhere to be seen.

You're telling me they use the exact same radiators as stock, don't add any aero ducting to get air in and out of the radiators, and then race them with less power than stock? Man, I can't believe the stock cooling system works fine with less horsepower... :laughing:

Every gt car I've seen in person has been nothing even close to stock on the cooling system except the locations. But keep telling yourself that a 1 or 2hp electric fan can move as much air as a 20hp mechanical... :lmao:

Drive shaft is ordered. itll be 3.5'' steel 2 piece with a solid cast pillow block.

now......tell me how wrong thats going to be, I cant hardly wait......:lmao:

Should have ordered carbon, and built a full driveshaft tube to protect it... :flipoff2:

. But keep telling yourself that a 1 or 2hp electric fan can move as much air as a 20hp mechanical... :lmao:
I don't care one iota about the draw or the air flow - that is the designers problem to solve, I only care that the damn thing does not overheat in July at Watkins Glen or August in Road America.

Please enlighten me as to any GT cars that have run mechanical fans in the past decade, I sure cannot think of a single one. So either those designers are actually pretty smart, or you are leading the way here mate, and going to show the entire endurance racing world how they should be doing it.

I sure do not know of a single team that would sacrifice 20 hp of power instead of just 1 0r 2 when the cooling is exactly the same.
Come on man. :lmao:

Since the cars are originally ment to run high speeds at sustained power levels id almost bet the fans are not even part of the equation.

Ever seen the ducting that goes into the German cars? Even the cheap E90 3 series of mine had an impressive amount of ducting for brakes, cooling etc.

Current 5 series don't use a condenser in the cooling stack they use a tiny heat exchanger to put the heat into the coolant.

I don't care one iota about the draw or the air flow - that is the designers problem to solve, I only care that the damn thing does not overheat in July at Watkins Glen or August in Road America.

Please enlighten me as to any GT cars that have run mechanical fans in the past decade, I sure cannot think of a single one. So either those designers are actually pretty smart, or you are leading the way here mate, and going to show the entire endurance racing world how they should be doing it.

I sure do not know of a single team that would sacrifice 20 hp of power instead of just 1 0r 2 when the cooling is exactly the same.
Come on man. :lmao:

I'm here saying that a mechanical would work better and be cheap for a truck. You're the one trying to fit it into a race car. :lmao:

You're so far off in the weeds you're not seeing what I'm pointing at.

lets keep this diverging, shall we?

just snagged this turd. its a '14 2wd with the v6, 125k miles. motor is locked up. thinking we'll keep it around and make it our new shop truck, since the race car really isnt pulling shop truck duties anymore. so my plan.........is to plunk a 454/th400 combo i have in the shed into it. :laughing: pull the heads and have them checked/worked, toss a cam in it, maybe some flat tops and rings(que up the ring gap debacle again @486) and have a weird "un-LS'd" truck. :stirthepot: it needs the mexi lift kit removed and new shoes too.

20240621_130322.jpg

just snagged this turd. its a '14 2wd with the v6, 125k miles. motor is locked up. thinking we'll keep it around and make it our new shop truck, since the race car really isnt pulling shop truck duties anymore. so my plan.........is to plunk a 454/th400 combo i have in the shed into it. :laughing: pull the heads and have them checked/worked, toss a cam in it, maybe some flat tops and rings(que up the ring gap debacle again @486) and have a weird "un-LS'd" truck. :stirthepot: it needs the mexi lift kit removed and new shoes too.

20240621_130322.jpg

I'd be very tempted to make that the new race truck and turn the old one back into a shop truck. Throw a 5.3 in there with a big ass single turbo and let it eat. :smokin:

Or that 454 with a blow through carb and a procharger....

20240621_130322.jpg

Hell yeah that sounds like a good time

my wife would kill me......:lmao:
Make it her race truck?

She can have a blast in the 89mph (?) class

My wife running the Mini at Sandhills resulted in more business for me (couple of Pikes Peak deals) than any I ever scored myself. The two girls almost tech speeded out on the way north but got away with a warning because the other was driving south

And of course all the dirty old men were keen to chat up the two women. Was interesting to watch as I was navigating in my mates Porsche.

Sandhills is a gem of a race.

Top Back Refresh