What's new

Do you ever tell potential buyers no thanks?

Sold the 6.0 today.

Dude started with "bottom $" but I decided to put a tiny bit of effort into it as I think putting some savings in the bank would be better than a truck sitting not being used.

Anyway he came out, I sold it for $700 more than I paid year and half ago, so not bad deal.

I thought about just being a dick to his first message of "bottom $"

So I guess not being a dick helps to sell shit sometimes.

If they can't spend the 2 minutes for a couple messages, they aren't worth my time.

I'm generally picking up big things, so hauling in a goose and I'm not just coming a few blocks over. If you cant lift your skirt and trust me with your home address, then give me the neutral location to meet you. Last thing I need is to drive an hour or more for you to have left your phone in the car and not hear it ringing.

Seriously, not everyone buying on CL (or other ad system) is a complete dick. Figure out what you need answered to realize I am on the up, coming with cash and could care less what else you own or where you live. I will uphold my end of things. Save the games for the jerks with half answers.

I have sold many a car and other things on CL. Ad says "All info is in ad. Sold as-is, do your diligence. No refunds. Cash only. No haggling. First arriving with funds will leave with it." I have had little problem selling. Sure, I get the same lowballers, stupid questions and such. I don't have to respond to any of them. There is someone out there who understands what it is and feels the price is worth it. I know when they contact me as it usually goes like: "Is it still available? I can stop by [time] to take it off your hands." I respond: "Sure is, here is my address, see you then". I had a couple times had one get through and show up with half the money and too much hope. I just tell them thanks but no thanks, the ad was clear, have a great day and I go back inside.

I Put in the ad that I won’t talk price until they have looked at the vehicle and have cash in front of me. Assholes still try but I either ignore them or tell them to fuck off. I had one guy Text me an offer Of $300 for a civic del sol without looking at it. I said sure, meet me in the Walmart parking lot in an hour. He texted me that he was in the Walmart parking lot, what now? I told him to go inside and buy a bike with his $300 then blocked his number.

stay classy big guy

I'm generally picking up big things, so hauling in a goose and I'm not just coming a few blocks over. If you cant lift your skirt and trust me with your home address, then give me the neutral location to meet you. Last thing I need is to drive an hour or more for you to have left your phone in the car and not hear it ringing.

If you're going to go to the trouble of driving an hour and hooking up a trailer, we'll have already chatted for a couple minutes via messages. I always give my address before they leave their home, it's not like I wait until they're in the area. It's just if someone says "I'll come get it tomorrow at 5pm", then I say "cool, I'm near _______, text me at _______ tomorrow afternoon for exact address and to confirm.".

If on the other hand you say "Give me your address so I can come take a look" it's obviously someone who wants to put the "cash in hand", "I'm here", "haggle haggle" to work...fuck them. I will reply "I prefer to get everything sorted out in advance, sorry". If they won't agree to price before, I'm not wasting their time letting them low ball me in person and me refusing. I've only had one person ever show up and be disappointed because it wasn't what they expected and it was just a misunderstanding about some hydraulic lines between the fitting size and the hose size....I knocked quite a few bucks off because you could tell it was an honest mistaken on his part (my ad was clear) and he was nice about it all.

I hate selling shit. I have no patience for it. But I have a lot of 'toys' I don't get much use of anymore so the purge has started.

Last month I listed a 5th wheel camper and my HD Fatboy Lo on a Sunday afternoon. Monday evening I sold both, and both interactions went well.

Guy who bought the camper messaged me and said he was half hour away and asked if he could come over right away to look at it. He shows up and looks it over. For the sake of honesty I show him a couple small issues it has that he will need to address sooner than later. He seems like a nice guy so I offer him a beer (because I wanted a beer and it's rude not to offer...lol). We have a beer while he keeps looking it over. He tells me he's buying it to park at a permanent site at the lake which is a couple hours away, but he doesn't have a truck so he's going to have to ask a buddy to tow it out for him. Turns out his site is only about 20 minutes from my cottage and I'm going out the coming weekend so I offer to tow it out for him if it'll make the sale. OK he wants it so the negotiation begins and we come to an amicable agreement at $9800. The guy gives me a roll of brand new bills in the amount of $5000 as a downpayment. Hell! I like this guy even more now...lol. He came back a couple days later with the rest of the money, and on the weekend I tow it out and help him set it up.

Same night a guy comes to look at the Harley with his buddy. He drives up in a car and buddy rides up on a HD. Both are East Indian (picture Rajeesh from Big Bang Theory - but a little cooler). They're nice guys and we get along. He takes it for a short ride, and then the two of them look it over. Again, I'm honest with them about a couple minor known issues, blemishes, etc. I can tell the guy really wants it but he's struggling with an initial offer. I tell him worst that can happen is I say 'no'. So he finally give me a low ball and I say 'no'. "See that wasn't so bad right"...lol. I can sense he really wants it so I tell him the lowest I will go and he comes up with a higher offer, but he's still $500 short. So I politely tell him and his buddy "sorry but I've told you want I want and the bike will be for sale until I get that amount. They leave. Two hours later he calls me back and says OK. He wired me a downpayment and we completed the deal the next day.

So all in all, both experiences went better than I expected. Both times the first guys to come look at the items ended up buying.

This week I have my off-road camping trailer with rooftop tent for sale. Crickets. No interest here at all for this. I guess I'm in a small market for this kind of item - or my asking price is way too high 😂. I wish the Canada-US border would re-open because there's more guys in the US looking for these.

I still need to list my squarebody crew cab dually w/Dmax but I have a feeling that one will draw a bunch of tire kickers.

And then I might list my K5 w/LS and tons, but I'm enjoying driving it too much lately to part with it.

Exactly. I don't care if it is somewhere neutral, ...provided you show up. If it is your house, chances are you will be there at the agreed time. But whatever makes you happy. I get a few that won't give me an address until I am on the way... really? I am coming there anyway, what does it matter? Normally not a huge bump in the road until I am ready to leave/on the way and suddenly cannot get a response.

I don't expect anyone to hold things for me, if I cant get there before everyone else, my loss. Some people get all twisted up over who was "first in line" and such. "Well I was talking to another guy and I need to check with him before I could sell it to you".... you need some stranger's permission so he wont get butthurt? You know you aren't a business with a rep, right? So everyone gets strung out over a long time because some dude asked if it was available but never talked terms or anything.
Exactly. Was looking at a quick hitch for a tractor and the seller sat on it for someone for 2 weeks "because he was first in line" while I was offering $100 over asking (he was asking $250 for a $800 Kubota front quick hitch with PTO shafts)....

Half of yall are retarded! First with cash in hand wins the prize! Ive had plenty of the "be there friday" crowd. If someone else wants it Thursday- it's sold. Fuckem. If you want a guarantee- give me a non-refundable deposit we agree on. Ive done that for quite a few cars I want while going into my work set.
I will generally start with "I have cash in hand, can meet you after X when I get off of work, just give me an address and a time"
Selling, if someone says that they are leaving to come pick it up, I wont sell it out from under them, but otherwise, first come, first served.

Aaron Z

I guess we know who is the lowballing mooch on ibb. :flipoff2:

No. We are aware who the douche is that makes selling second hand cars a fuckall experience. You are the problem on the sellers side, we're discussing assholes and idiots on the buyers end.

A while back I was trying to sell a set of 15x12 steel wheels. Some dude asked if they would work on his Prius..

See, I'll sell to fucktards like that all day long. I'd have told the guy with 100% certainty that they'd fit his dumbfuck project.

I've sold people shit several times that had no way of hauling it home in whatever turd they showed up in.

I listed a '86 4Runner, young guy with his dad showed up. Truck was nothing special, but stock and clean, i was asking $3k or best, The kid was pumped, but dad had the money and was an Ass. starts of with no handshake, then crawls straight under it. this leaks, that leaks, whats wrong with it, why are you dumping it. just an ass.

meanwhile the kid is going crazy. Grouchy old man says it's not worth a grand but thats my offer. I didn't even look at the old man, I looked at the kid and said sorry, your not getting a truck today and shut the garage door.

The two of them sat out front for 30 mins, then walked back to the door and offered me $2800. I had to turn him down, And told him he was a jerk, I'm not here to rip you off, the ad did say OBO, he left mad.
and I sold it for $2500 to the next guy..
My loss.:rolleyes:

I listed my 95 BMW 525 on facebook marketplace for 2200. It was in great shape, ran great, lowered 1.5 inches, M3 Rims, decent tunes, tinted windows, etc, etc.

A kid (early 20s) asked me to meet him so he could take a look. He took it for a drive, told me how much he loved it, how he needed it, etc. He told me he had to check with his mom and make sure she was ok with him buying it.

He called me the next day and said his mom told him he could buy it and set up a meet time. He was 30 minutes late, showed up with NO money! Instead he offered to trade his late 80s, beat to shit civic. He got pretty heated when I told him no.

I've done it lots of times...

'98 F150, 300K on it. No rust mint interior and everything works. Body was typical for 300K not dented up but had rock chips and scratches, little piece of the grille busted out. Big plus is a new engine. I was asking 3500 firm.

Guy shows up, starts nit picking the fuck out of it so I told him I ain't the new truck dealer and he should probably go there and try his luck. He looks at me like I have 3 heads so I tell him to hit the fuckin' road I wouldn't sell it to you for 4000. He actually went to the end of the driveway and called the cops:laughing: Cops show up and after I talk to them they tell him to hit the fuckin' road or get new bracelets and a ride.:lmao:

Another time was a huge kitchen table, it was basically new and beautiful. I had so much trouble with that one I re wrote the ad stating that if it didn't go for asking in the next 72 hrs I would cut it up and burn it. Stay tuned for the you tube link. Every so often I would update the countdown.

With a few hours left I sell it for asking. The guy and his wife show up and he tells me he was keeping an eye on it to see if I would actually go through with it, I pointed out the chainsaw sitting beside the fire pit and said wanna see in person? Nope he handed over the $$$:laughing:

On the other side of this is my search for a ride on mower, few for sale and they go quick, new ones don't exist around here due to the beer flu.

I find one and tell the guy I can be there now cash in hand, he hems and haws yea tomorrow he says. The ad comes down and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I message him next day and crickets. 2 days later he re lists for 500 more than the first ad.:mad3:

See, I'll sell to fucktards like that all day long. I'd have told the guy with 100% certainty that they'd fit his dumbfuck project.

I've sold people shit several times that had no way of hauling it home in whatever turd they showed up in.

LoL that reminds me one time, sold a guy an elliptical...he showed up in a pickup truck but without anything to strap it down with, literally not anything. Sold him 3 crappy ratchet straps for what I paid for them to go along with the elliptical and he even thanked me for selling them to him.

I find one and tell the guy I can be there now cash in hand, he hems and haws yea tomorrow he says. The ad comes down and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I message him next day and crickets. 2 days later he re lists for 500 more than the first ad.:mad3:

There's a special place in hell for people that do that.

Been halfass looking for a replacement bed for my Dodge, have had this happen 5 or 6 times over the last couple years.

Found a decent one listed for $450, email the guy and said i had cash, and could be there that afternoon. Got an "Ok" and an address in reply. Show up with trailer and full asking price in cash, look it over quickly and decide it's worth it. Go to hand him the cash, said that's $450, can count it if you want. Tells me the price is $900, but he'll take $800...

Pull out the phone with his ad still posted and show him where it says "truck box - $450", with a fucking picture of it, with his house in the background, exactly where it is now. Denies that's his ad. Says it's a different ad, and I'm trying to scam him. Conveniently, his grasp of the english language starts to disappear around this time. 15 minutes of arguing and I say fuckit and leave. Get an email later that night saying he's reconsidered and will take $600.

I fucking hate people.

There's a special place in hell for people that do that.

Been halfass looking for a replacement bed for my Dodge, have had this happen 5 or 6 times over the last couple years.

Found a decent one listed for $450, email the guy and said i had cash, and could be there that afternoon. Got an "Ok" and an address in reply. Show up with trailer and full asking price in cash, look it over quickly and decide it's worth it. Go to hand him the cash, said that's $450, can count it if you want. Tells me the price is $900, but he'll take $800...

Pull out the phone with his ad still posted and show him where it says "truck box - $450", with a fucking picture of it, with his house in the background, exactly where it is now. Denies that's his ad. Says it's a different ad, and I'm trying to scam him. Conveniently, his grasp of the english language starts to disappear around this time. 15 minutes of arguing and I say fuckit and leave. Get an email later that night saying he's reconsidered and will take $600.

I fucking hate people.

Can't say I blame you on that one. Ppl suck.

Several yrs ago I posted my SS el camino for sale, 1968. First responder was a guy across the bridge who wanted it for his kid. Said his boy only wanted a 68, nothing else would be considered. I tell him my deal, that I had recently ripped a lower control arm, and that I'd need to replace it before he could even test drive it. He wants to come over and see it immediately anyway. I live at the end of a dead end canyon rd but, he drives on out. I explain my long history of it, and that I bought if from a very close friend etc. Everything is good so far. We make an appt to have him pick it up a week later or so.

I still hadn't gotten around to replacing the arm, no big as he and his kid (grown) wait at the ranch while I run into town and get one from a local gm-only salvage place. I press new bushings in it for him, install it, as he and the kid watch. Then with a huge smile on his face, he drives it around the horse corral a few times and the kid is happy as fuck. Walk into the house and while seated at the breakfast bar ready to sign the title, he stands and asks me a question that not only caught me off guard, but he took a fucked up tone with me when he said it. This is verbatim; "ok, cut the bullshit will it make it home across the bridge..."

A tiny bit of rage set up inside me, something that's rare for me. He had been so decent up til then, and I was my usual straightforward honest self. I said nothing right away, just looked at him like WTF. As the micro-moments seemed to take minutes, I replied in a genteel tone to say, you might as well leave, you're not buying a SuperSport today.

I was literally pissed off at him. Went to the trouble of replacing the control arm with new bushings I'd bought that week, was working 7-12s all month long, and this fuck tried my patience at the wrong fkg time. I almost didn't sell it to anyone after how I felt about that bitch moment he had.

Selling a set of Samurai axles.

Note the ad title..JUST AXLES.

I quit trying to sell shit.

Yes, I have a bunch of stuff for sale. Search my adds.

"i can't find anything"

Its out there, I just parted out a whole R6 (Im selling one fairing) Engine everything just look.

I hate people who try and negotiate with "But I have cash" lines.
No crap man, I was not going to get paid in compliments.

Or take a check or credit card... unless I know you.

After low balling me in a text or email, "I have cash and I can come this afternoon"

Me; "I only accept cheques"

I've never been presented with a trade for something I was selling, that I actually wanted.

My suggestion to folks offering a trade, that they sell whatever junk they're offering me, and then use the cash to buy what I'm selling, has yet to be followed through with.

I don't sell much, I hate people, so I just have a collection of junk, but it's my junk.

My most recent frustration was spending an entire day being jerked around by some jack ass in Joplin trying to sell his 4.0l WJ. It was a 250 mile drive, one way, but we made he best of it, went up and spent the weekend with my aunt & uncle who live about an hour from Joplin, and spent the day antiquing, while jack ass strung me along with text messages. I gave up and was half way home when he said he could finally get away to meet.

I detail as much as possible, then note I will ignore the question if the details are in the add.
Last thing I sold (clist) the guy only asked 1 question
When can I come see it?
That's a lock you may have a buyer.
Most idiots get a general answer and then run off on the net.
If you are in my driveway, you get 5 minutes or up to the lowball which ever comes first!
Then it's "make an offer" or leave.
But I have a high visibility spot.

Well I'm an idiot, I should have know ln better.

Selling a cucv chevy truck, it's a little rough, but seems pretty solid. I've only had it a few days, but I'd hop in and drive a few hours in it (at 45 mph :laughing:​​​​​​)

Been getting a ton of interest since they're getting hard to find. Guy today is asking very reasonable questions, says it looks like a great start for his project. I'm thinking OK perfect, guy knows it's 36 years old and may need a few things. He says he wants it, but can make it this weekend, can he put down a deposit.

He says he's in Santa rosa, (about 3.5 hours away) we have friends there who we are over due for a visit, and there is another guy interested in the truck who lives there. So I tell him I can deliver if he wants to pay a deposit.

He goes, OK, but can we talk price? :confused:

Mf'r you want to put a deposit down because you know it might sell this weekend, and you want me to deliver, but you want me to knock my price down? :laughing:

I tell him, if I deliver, I want full price.

​​​​​He says, OK we can settle on a price, I'll give you the deposit and I'll pick up next week.

So again, he's obviously so worried someone will buy it that he wants to put a deposit down, but again he wants me to drop my price?

Exact words: I guess I'm not understanding that you want me to hold it because there is so much interest, but you want me to come down on price?

I just told him first come first serve:rolleyes:​​​​​​​

I have my Tow Rig (F350 DRW) for sale.

All I get is messages saying "Bottom Dollar?"

That that is it, sometimes that add a "What's" in front of it.

For the first few days I tried to explain that shopping for the cheapest diesel they could find was going to cost them much more than buying a more expensive one but gave that approach up.
Anyone who asks about price before looking at said item is a moron, and get treated as such by me.

Who taught these people how to barter?

I've got a 4 runner I want to sell. Good condition. Only 10k on a rebuilt RE. Dual cases, locked up F&R. AC! Really good wheeler/driver. Only problem is its been rolled, body and VINS swapped. The donor was definitely not stolen it just sat with a blown motor for years so it had fines. Nobody would probably ever know, but you never know.

Anyone who asks about price before looking at said item is a moron, and get treated as such by me.

Who taught these people how to barter?

I've bought dozens of vehicles and discussed price before I think about grabbing the cash or finding my keys.

After I've talked with the owner, seen pics, got the high points; the conversation usually goes to the tune of "I'll offer $$$ based off of XYZ. If there's no other suprises I'll be there at your earliest convenience with cash and a trailer". Anything from $500 to $40k trucks. If they say no I go on with my life. I've had to talk people town farther if my margins were slim because they failed to tell me tires were 10 years old, ac doesnt work, etc. Only went home empty once and that's because the guy lied too much and it wasnt worth it.

I take in to account I'll always have to put $500+ to make the vehicle right for resale. If you're less than 1.5hrs I'll make the attempt to grab cash and haggle in person. I'm not driving across state lines to barter. I want to be loaded and gone in 20 minutes and the people are usually dumbfounded how easy I made it for them.

Top Back Refresh