What's new

Do you ever tell potential buyers no thanks?

I bought a dead Civic off a customer to flip a couple years ago. Slapped a head gasket in it and cleaned it up, posted it on marketplace for $2,000 and I thought my phone was gonna melt down with all the 1000-1200 offers and the rate at which I was just blocking retards. Had a handful that wanted to know "Why'd you do all that work just to sell it"... like it fuckin' matters.

Never over indulge. Just say things like "all maintenance and repairs up to date"

I swear yall bring these headaches on yourselves.

Half of yall are retarded! First with cash in hand wins the prize! Ive had plenty of the "be there friday" crowd. If someone else wants it Thursday- it's sold. Fuckem. If you want a guarantee- give me a non-refundable deposit we agree on. Ive done that for quite a few cars I want while going into my work set.

When I listed my 99 Trans Am for sale, I had a guy ask me a bunch of legit specific questions being it was a 30th Anniversary edition. He drove all the way from either the Woodlands or Conroe down SW of Katy (Houston area, about 65mi drive). He shows up in a brand new 2013 F250 completely bro dozered out, looks it over, wants to drive it (uh fuck no) and sits around for another hour. He isnt interested in the stereo system, so he makes me a solid offer w/o it in the car and says he'll have the $ for me the next day if I wanna go ahead and pull the system out. I told him I'd wait and when he has the $, we can meet up at a shop amd Id have them remove it all. The next day comes, dude texts me a few times and that I can meet him at his buddys shop and have the stuff removed. Ok cool, whats the name of the shop and the address? Nothing. He completely ghosts me never to be heard from again.

Drove 120+mi at like 6pm at night, spends almost 2hrs at my house haggling a deal only to disappear. It was a little bit of a mind fuck for me lol.

​​​​​
​​
​​​​​

I've gotten pretty good at sorting out time wasters, and keep things pretty tight these days.

Buyers need to come to me, 99% of the time, there are a couple exceptions

Exceptions, i had a couple beater $1k cars at tax refund time, these people have no transportation, and I wanted these shit boxes out of my yard, so upon them promising 3 times they had cash in hand, I looped a couple errands in and delivered said shitbox

I don't really deal in $20 parts, not worth my time, definitely not worth driving 5 miles to meet somebody.

guy was driving 120 miles to buy a $2500 transmission, we'd talked, he asked the right questions, had the right job, I really wanted it sold, ok, I wavered and drove 20 miles in his direction, legit buyer

medical equipment, sold some of my grandfather's stuff after he passed, big walker, bed, etc, I expect to deliver, first one was to a high end neighborhood, went off without a hitch.

2nd one, the lady told me 3x she had the money and was ready, I get there and she didn't have the money, her daughter takes her money because mom will blow it, daughter isn't answering the phone, son lives next door, he's white trash on disability, I'm grinding my teeth here. $100 adjustable bed, delivered 20 miles (with other errands, but out of my way). I'm about to lose my cool when the son starts talking trading, I left with 2 sets of super duty wheels and tires, both alloy, both something I kinda need, I probably would have paid 250 if I came across them at a yard sale:laughing:
then the son is telling mom she owes him 200 now and she's whining. And my mood changed for the better:grinpimp:

I've sold a bunch of project cars, I list known problems, if I think it's going to attract kids, I'll put that this car needs a head gasket, if you don't know what a head gasket is, this isn't the car for you

On some stuff I'm firm, on some stuff I'm negotiable, just kinda depends.

If something isn't driveable, I assume I'm delivering it within 25 minutes of my home, that's pretty much in my ad, and in my negotiations. I get a deposit and we arrange a time. I used to wait around all day for a guy to borrow his brother in laws friends trailer, but somebody owed somebody $40 so they had to fix his drywall first, then take a tire to a shop to get fixed, then they show up with no chains, but they've got yellow rope. So these days I just assume I'm delivering, and it's done me well, but I get a cash deposit before i burn diesel

once I had an Indian drive from new Mexico to buy a beautiful low mileage 96 dodge diesel. I was going thru a divorce and hurting for cash, so extra trucks had to go. Dude beats me up on the price and I take a little less than I anticipated. Fuck. He pays me. Then I look at his beater dodge Durango, and I ask him how he's getting it back to New Mexico.
"I don't know"
"do you have a friend here or something? "
"I brought my girlfriend, but we had a fight so I kicked her out of the car" basically alluding that she was 100 miles away
So I bought his Durango for less than he wanted and listed it for sale the next morning, cheap

Mexican kid comes to look at it and loves it, but lowballs me anyways, tells me he doesn't have the last 200, I tell him his buddy probably has it, or he can go to the atm down the street and walk away.
I close the door, but stand right there and start counting. Before I get to 100 he's got it. I can't hide my smile :laughing:

And I came out further ahead than my target on the first truck

I've found that I can control a lot of outcomes, I can read buyers and sellers pretty well, have sold and shipped stuff sight unseen, have bought running donor vehicles, stuff I want, but not willing to drive 100 miles to look at, determine if it's good enough, and tow 100 miles home, I tell them I'll pay xxx in my driveway, hold up the cash in front of my house and take a pic. I figure if they are willing to drive it 100 miles it's a decent enough drive train

You make your own luck

Alright, Im done with this dude.

photo10365.jpg

I'd say: As I see it you wasted about 500.00 of my time. Car is 2K to you.

Good luck in your search for a 1500 hoopty.

I'm getting tired of dealing with idiots selling stuff, and have a growing pile of stuff to get rid of. I think everything under $40 is going in a garage sale. I'd rather get $5-10 and not have to take pictures or respond to message than spend 2 weeks dealing with idiots wasting my time to get $30. I also had some stuff listed cheap, then have people flake when they don't have the $10-20. If you dont have $20 spare stop looking at fawking classifieds. On the flip sometimes things work. Listed a kid carrier backpack one afternoon. 2 hours and 3 messages later it was gone. If everything would only work like that

Got some random axle u bolts I found and tossed up. Listed the size (ID, thread, length). Of course "what do they fit" "what did they come off of". Also not sure if anyone it in their area but you can't list a set of wheel/tires without some chevy (always a chevy) driver asking if they will fit. Even if the lug count doesnt even match up.

I've been known to video throwing crap away that someone was super lowball badgering me about. Entertainment has value

I learned the hard way 7-8 years ago to not fuck around with people, you either want it or you don't.

I used to bend over backwards to sell shit, like as if it this person in front of me didn't buy it I was stuck with it for ever. Then one day I was selling my 2001 F350, crew cab, 2wd w/ 310k miles. It ran, drove, pulled jeeps and the a/c worked, other than that it was a beat up old truck. I wanted $4500, first guy told me on the phone he wasn't a tire kicker and that he would do 4k even. I said lets meet the next day (that day was my oldest daughters b-day), he insisted that he wanted the truck that night. I said, ok, lets do it. He shows up 30 min before my daughters bday party. He looks the truck over, I took him for a test drive. We get back and he says unless he gets to drive it the best he would do is $3500, I let him drive it. Now my daughters bday starts and I'm still dealing with this ass hat. We get back from the 2nd test drive and he starts dicking me around... he is combing the engine over pointing out every little thing, keeps saying that's $xx to fix this and that. After an hour of dealing with this fuck head I finally told him he was keeping me from my daughters b-day party. He goes, well all I brought was $3800. I told him "ARE YOU SERIOUS", I told him I wasn't taking 3800, I told him he could see himself out as I went inside to my daughters b-day party. About 15 min later door bell rang, and he was like I scrounged up another $100 so I can do $3900. My wife was pissed, I told him that it was real dick move to do me that way and that I told him I didn't want to do this shit during my daughters bday party for this exact reason. I told him at this point it was the principal of the matter and it wasn't even about the money anymore and that I wasn't interested in selling him the truck anymore. He got super pissy and said "I drove 2 hours to buy this truck and now you wont sell it to me? Screw you", I told him to get off my property. Took another week to sell the truck.

After that experience, my attitude is fuck the buyer until we exchange money and shake hands. Were not friends, I don't owe them shit, they don't owe me shit! I wont hold anything anymore, and I certainly don't go out of my way to sell anything. Way less stressful, and typically the same results!

So, yes, I have told people that I am not interested in selling something to them. Typically people that ask repetitive questions, or people that low ball me before even looking at what is for sale in person.

Half of yall are retarded! First with cash in hand wins the prize! Ive had plenty of the "be there friday" crowd. If someone else wants it Thursday- it's sold. Fuckem. If you want a guarantee- give me a non-refundable deposit we agree on. Ive done that for quite a few cars I want while going into my work set.

I've done that quite a bit, when buying. I don't have a local bank, so it can take a few days for me to get cash for larger purchases. Usually what I'll do is offer them a $500 deposit (max I can withdraw from atm) and let them know my timeline when I can have the rest, which is usually within a week. I always let them know if I fail to follow through, it's their money at that point. Never had an issue doing that, and I've always followed through.

Was selling a minivan years ago, dirt cheap. Had a Mexican kid call for his dad, asking if they could buy it. I told them sure, for what I was asking for it. He wanted me to hold it for a week for them. I told them I had others coming out to look at it, and the only way I was holding it was for a $500 deposit. He got a little bent out of shape, and I told him where he could shove it

Sold my quad about a month ago. Listed for 4200 on a Sunday evening. Got tons of pms over night. Had plenty of people tell me it was priced too high. My response, "it's OK, you don't have to buy it" they would get pissy every time. Had one guy hassle me around trying to get me to take 3200... told him i was going to hold onto it. I ended up selling it for 4k within 12 hours of listing it. Every person that low balled or asked dumb ass questions was told i had sold it for 4k:lmao:

I am glad I am not the only one that has these problems.

Luckily I am about done selling crap and only have what I want to keep.

I hate people.

Flipping this exploder, I know it was in perfect shape. I fixed it up, my kids drove it a couple months. I list it. moving kind of slow which I expected because no third row seat. Finally this guy calls me, tells me he has cash in hand and he is going to buy something today.
same old story, shows up 2 hours late. It is dark now. Telling me about all this cash he has and how he is going to buy.
He and some kid take it for a drive.
They get back and start telling me the abs light comes on when turning left, engine light is flashing. All kinds of other crap. I already know this is BS. Then he offers me less than half of asking price. I laughed and said no, started walking away.
Then he comes back with, I only brought that much.
I was like, ok, you show up telling me you have cash in hand, but you brought less than half the asking price?
Told them to leave.
Of course I drove it after and there was nothing wrong with it.

But yeah selling stuff sucks.

When I buy I show up, pay, and load and go. Not wasting anyone's time. So rare to find someone who does the same.

I am glad I am not the only one that has these problems.

Luckily I am about done selling crap and only have what I want to keep.

I hate people.

Flipping this exploder, I know it was in perfect shape. I fixed it up, my kids drove it a couple months. I list it. moving kind of slow which I expected because no third row seat. Finally this guy calls me, tells me he has cash in hand and he is going to buy something today.
same old story, shows up 2 hours late. It is dark now. Telling me about all this cash he has and how he is going to buy.
He and some kid take it for a drive.
They get back and start telling me the abs light comes on when turning left, engine light is flashing. All kinds of other crap. I already know this is BS. Then he offers me less than half of asking price. I laughed and said no, started walking away.
Then he comes back with, I only brought that much.
I was like, ok, you show up telling me you have cash in hand, but you brought less than half the asking price?
Told them to leave.
Of course I drove it after and there was nothing wrong with it.

But yeah selling stuff sucks.

When I buy I show up, pay, and load and go. Not wasting anyone's time. So rare to find someone who does the same.

You let people test drive shit without you with them? your brave.

I was trying to sell 2 pairs of All Pro wheel spacers to a kid for like 120 bucks, never used. He wanted me to drive 45 mins to meet him and he'd give me like 100 bucks. Told him i wasnt going to make the drive and i want 120.

He then mentions that he can buy 3 pairs of wheel spacers on ebay for the price i had mine at. Told him to go buy those then. WTF........................ idiots.

You let people test drive shit without you with them? your brave.

Different part of the country I guess, but yeah, usually, at least if they are adult looking. It is part of the trust. I will often give them directions to the closest interstate so they can get it up to cruising speed.
but I have nothing to hide, hard for me to flip vehicles I try to make them too perfect. Far more than what people buying used $3k cars should expect.

Seems to work, they are rarely gone more than 5 minutes so I know they never got it up to highway speed. For me it is pretty rare if the first test driver doesn't buy it.

But like I said, I am glad I am done with that crap.

Some of y'all take too much shit from buyers.

I flip vehicles up here in Minnesota for a cool hobby that makes me money. I find a vehicle, haul it home, go through it to make it mechanically right, and then list it high on purpose. I put minimal effort into answering questions online... the ad is detailed, and the pics are detailed. If they are actually interested, they will come out and check it out in person.

I just sold a 1998 Ram 1500 360 auto 4x4 Club Cab with 224,000 miles for $6500 that was last week. I listed it on FB and CL at $6500, and waited. I was in no hurry, and I didn't pay attention to the obvious tire-kickers with no money. Tuesday morning, I get a message from someone asking when he could come see it and a couple questions about the 360 vs the 318s he's had in the past. He says he can come out, but it won't be until after 7, as he lives 90 minutes away. No problem for me. He shows with his wife and kid, looks it over, asks a couple questions, we all pile in for a test drive, and he says that this is the best looking truck he has seen online, and since dealers are asking $4000-4500 for the same truck that's rusted out, this one was worth it... and money ahead based upon the laundry list of items I repaired, replaced, or upgraded while I had it (all listed in the ad). He handed over full asking price, I handed over a signed title, deal done.

That truck came from California.

The next vehicle is a 2004 144 wb high-roof Sprinter I picked up and a non-runner in Mississippi. I'll get 5-figures for that one sometime this summer, whenever I finish everything (sorting a lighting issue, fixing the EGR, rebuilding the ABS pump and replacing the climate control module)... I'll be less than $3k into it when it hits the ads.

Anyway, I don't have to sell it, and they don't have to buy it. When an actual buyer comes along, they will make themselves known pretty quickly, and my attitude changes to make them feel welcome. No-nonsense, bring cash, do the deal. Anyone else can fuck right off.

I was trying to sell 2 pairs of All Pro wheel spacers to a kid for like 120 bucks, never used. He wanted me to drive 45 mins to meet him and he'd give me like 100 bucks. Told him i wasnt going to make the drive and i want 120.

He then mentions that he can buy 3 pairs of wheel spacers on ebay for the price i had mine at. Told him to go buy those then. WTF........................ idiots.

Yep, had a guy that wanted a door I had. I was selling it for $30. Cheap enough, then he wanted me to drive three hours. (1.5 down and 1.5 back) For that $30

Had to break it down for him.
180 miles round trip, 18 mpg at best. Fuel was $2.60. 10 gallons.
Cost me $26 to deliver a door I am selling for $30. I make $4, except I spend 3 hours of my life, so for that 3 hours of my life driving to meet him I am being paid $1.33 an hour.

No thanks. So I make $4 and I'm out a $30 door.

I will scrap it before I do that.

I sold a roller '74 cherokee a few years ago I had picked up for free. It was decent, some kid had spent time to paint it kinda nice and do the interior. It had a hack job lift but it was complete except engine. I post it for 500 but have to have it gone by Saturday night. I get nothing until Saturday morning some kid over about 3 hours away in Idaho says he wants it, he even agrees to 500 via text. He gets there that night looks at and offers 400. I tell him he already told me 500 so he haggles to 450. I say fine cause I got to have it gone. He turns to his buddy and asks if he has 50 buck. This retard drove across state lines to pick up a car and doesn't have enough money! His buddy says he only has 60, I said "hand it over". I was a bit pissed cause I ended up getting some sweet offers waiting for this guy. If I didn't have literally hours left to sell it he would have driven 6 hours that day with nothing to show for it.

I had another the other day where I bought something from a guy that obviously didn't need the money. I couple 10 dollar RC airplane parts that he just didn't want to throw away. I bought them then we talked for another 20ish minutes while he showed me his planes and shop. Fun experience, sometimes buying or selling crap for a hobby is a good way to meet like minded people.

If a buyer asks me "What's your bottom dollar?", I respond "What's your top dollar?".
I don't think I've ever told a potential buyer to fuck off, I like making money too much to piss people off. A simple "Sorry, I can't go that low" keeps things civil.

Same. I tend to buy much more than sell. So I am usually dealing with idiot sellers.

Ad says to text them, send a text: "is it available? if so, what is a good time to stop by? my name and number." Get a text back, "yep". Seriously? alright, another text, "when is a good time to meet up?". No response. Another text "Hello?". Nothing. let it sit a day or two, still see it up on CL. Text again, "Still interested. Is it still available? is there a good time to meet". Get back "Yep". Alright fooker, now you are just messing with me. I know you can see the text history. Keep yer crap.

Or the people who get all flaky about giving you an address... Do you want me to buy the damn thing or not? How else do I pick it up and pay you?

Or the people who get all flaky about giving you an address... Do you want me to buy the damn thing or not? How else do I pick it up and pay you?

Sometimes I don't want people coming to my house or business.

So I will meet them a few miles out.

Sometimes I don't want people coming to my house or business.

So I will meet them a few miles out.

Yeah, but a seller should have that aready planned out when they list the item - are they comfortable meeting at home, if not where can they get to. If it needs power/water/etc to test how they will do that. When you ask where to meet I expect an answer. It doesnt have to be your home address, but it can't be a response of "well i dont want you knowing my address..." Just have the place worked out and send that address.

Lots of people dont understand what shipping/meeting costs. I'm not going to travel to you for an item I am selling unless either it is a high dollar item and you are credible with your interest or I am already going to be in that area and its on my schedule. And if you want something shipped you need to know roughly what it costs to ship, both so you understand the price and dont get ripped off. I was "selling" some old trading cards that just fit in a LFRB ($16 something at the time) for $20. So I'm making a whopping $3, pretty much to cover going to the PO and tape. Had multiple people ask me to go through and see if I had XXXX card, fawk no, im not going through them, i'm giving them away. Then people wanting to negotiate down to $10, less than postage. Honestly if someone had offered just paying postage it would have been theirs.

Yeah, but a seller should have that aready planned out when they list the item - are they comfortable meeting at home, if not where can they get to. If it needs power/water/etc to test how they will do that. When you ask where to meet I expect an answer. It doesnt have to be your home address, but it can't be a response of "well i dont want you knowing my address..." Just have the place worked out and send that address.

Exactly. I don't care if it is somewhere neutral, ...provided you show up. If it is your house, chances are you will be there at the agreed time. But whatever makes you happy. I get a few that won't give me an address until I am on the way... really? I am coming there anyway, what does it matter? Normally not a huge bump in the road until I am ready to leave/on the way and suddenly cannot get a response.

I don't expect anyone to hold things for me, if I cant get there before everyone else, my loss. Some people get all twisted up over who was "first in line" and such. "Well I was talking to another guy and I need to check with him before I could sell it to you".... you need some stranger's permission so he wont get butthurt? You know you aren't a business with a rep, right? So everyone gets strung out over a long time because some dude asked if it was available but never talked terms or anything.

Sellers can be just as bad. I found a set of axles for a great price. Just a Dana 50/10.5 combo from a SDuty, so not super desirable, but I can use them. Guy can't off load them and drops the price. I offer up and tell him I can pay cash and pick them up over the weekend. He texts back that he'll sell for that price, but wants them gone that day. Sorry, I work long hours every day during the week and can[t make it til the weekend. He gets bent out of shape. As far as I know, he still has them.

Also not sure if anyone it in their area but you can't list a set of wheel/tires without some chevy (always a chevy) driver asking if they will fit. Even if the lug count doesnt even match up.

Pretty much every set of wheels I've sold, even when I list what they came off of/what they fit. Six lug F150 wheels (metric 6 lug) I posted a couple sets of spares I had a while back and about half the messages were "Will they fit a K5/K1500/Tahoe" even after listing the lug pattern and that they ONLY fit a 6 lug Ford/Lincoln

Exactly. I don't care if it is somewhere neutral, ...provided you show up. If it is your house, chances are you will be there at the agreed time. But whatever makes you happy. I get a few that won't give me an address until I am on the way... really? I am coming there anyway, what does it matter? Normally not a huge bump in the road until I am ready to leave/on the way and suddenly cannot get a response.

I don't expect anyone to hold things for me, if I cant get there before everyone else, my loss. Some people get all twisted up over who was "first in line" and such. "Well I was talking to another guy and I need to check with him before I could sell it to you".... you need some stranger's permission so he wont get butthurt? You know you aren't a business with a rep, right? So everyone gets strung out over a long time because some dude asked if it was available but never talked terms or anything.

I usually say "I live near such and such (something within a minute of my house), text me at 123-456-7890 when you're getting ready to go for my full address". This has cut way down on the no shows or late shows, but for the few sketchy people out there doesn't give them an address to where the item is available to be stolen from. It also means when they get lost or have trouble finding the place or are late, I will often get a text to help finish the deal. And all of that is after answering any non-stupid questions and agreeing to a price and time. I sort out all that shit before I'm giving out personal info or agreeing to meet them. If they can't spend the 2 minutes for a couple messages, they aren't worth my time.

A while back I was trying to sell a set of 15x12 steel wheels. Some dude asked if they would work on his Prius..

Screenshot_20200623-141428_Messenger.jpg

Same wheels.

Dude tried to get me to drive 4 hours one way to sell them, but then offered to have his "super nice" family members that live near me pick them up.

I still have the wheels.

Screenshot_20200623-142028_Messenger.jpg

Selling a set of Samurai axles.

Note the ad title..JUST AXLES.

I quit trying to sell shit.

photo10414.jpg

Top Back Refresh