What's new

Do you ever tell potential buyers no thanks?

Like mentioned "what's your bottom dollar" is just a stupid phrase. I guess it's the same people who list something for day $3500 and then then put, lowest I'll take is $2600 :laughing: why put that? Someome might have offered you $3200 or $3k. Same goes with selling, I'm not going to tell you the lowest price I'll take, because you might offer more. Is that such a crazy concept? :homer:

I don't do firm on anything because it's meaningless and people ignore it.

I figure out what I want, then generally price it 30-50% higher than that in an ad. I either get more than I wanted in the first place or I get talked down to what I was really looking for in the first place and the other person feels good about it because they think they talked me down.

On the other hand, if I'm buying I'll pretty much always offer 20-30% less asking price for the same reason unless it was already a good deal, though I'm always prepared to pay whatever the asking price was originally. If I didn't feel that price was good enough, I'm not wasting my time or theirs in the first place. Doesn't hurt to ask and most people expect it.

Yup...price at $120, even if I want $80, and say my bottom dollar is $100 if they ask.

Putting the lowest you'll go as the advertised price is crazy. Who does that :confused:
I do that sometimes, but its when I have something priced as "i want it gone".

Last thing I can remember was a used set of tires, comparable market had them worth $500-600. I wanted them gone that day, and didn't want to dick around with it. Priced at $200, and that was my bottom dollar. If offered $190, I would have tossed them in my old man's barn and let them dry rot.

If its something worthwhile that I'm not trying to toss with minimal hassle, I'll advertise 10-20% over what I'm willing to take.

Like mentioned "what's your bottom dollar" is just a stupid phrase. I guess it's the same people who list something for day $3500 and then then put, lowest I'll take is $2600 :laughing: why put that? Someome might have offered you $3200 or $3k. Same goes with selling, I'm not going to tell you the lowest price I'll take, because you might offer more. Is that such a crazy concept? :homer:

Ror. I saw that the other day and was like wtf?? You want x but will take y. Why the hell would I give you x??:lmao:

I do that sometimes, but its when I have something priced as "i want it gone".

Last thing I can remember was a used set of tires, comparable market had them worth $500-600. I wanted them gone that day, and didn't want to dick around with it. Priced at $200, and that was my bottom dollar. If offered $190, I would have tossed them in my old man's barn and let them dry rot.

If its something worthwhile that I'm not trying to toss with minimal hassle, I'll advertise 10-20% over what I'm willing to take.

Good point

There's a few 'Want it gone things' around here.

We've been chucking a few items that were really too good for throwing out, to free up space.
Mainly because my girls here are too timid to deal with strangers selling stuff.

We put stuff out on the nature strip (here that's the lawn between the sidewalk and road curbing), it gets taken pretty quick.
Aything left out there is deemed free to take.

I have come home from work just after my wife and daughter have put stuff out, that I brought back in because it was too good to give away.
Much to their disappointment.

I've often thought to advertise it real cheap instead, at least get a bit of money.
Might do it now

I dont recall if I have told a potential customer to blatantly bugger off, But I can think of at least one that I wish I would have.

It reared its head on the other 4x4 forum.

I have come home from work just after my wife and daughter have put stuff out, that I brought back in because it was too good to give away.
Much to their disappointment.

It is hard to admit that one is a hoarder, but it appears you took that first step :flipoff2:

​​​​​​We have Offer up, Give away, FB marketplace & letgo here to sell items. I prefer word of mouth to deal-

My general response to a "negotiation" that starts with the buyer asking "What's your bottom dollar?" is to give them a price higher than I listed the item for.

I don't mind haggling, and price figuring the buyer is going to ask for a discount, but at least give a rational reason you think I should knock 10% or 20% off my price. I figure if they start out that bad, there is no reason to even deal with them.

I've also just walked away from a sale when they start with the BS reasons something should be free or near free. I would rather get $10 at the scrap yard than give some idiot something free.

I had a guy show up buying an $80 xfer case. He looked at, claimed the chain was stretched beyond reason. I had checked against the manual and it was in spec but not new. I told the guy to make an offer and he said I should just give it to him because I misrepresented the $80 case so badly. Nope. Bye bye. End of deal. He tried negotiating all the way out of the garage. I just shut the door and went back to what I was doing.

I made an offer on a motorcycle once that was listed as $4000 OBO. I offered him full price and he said nah, Im gonna wait to see if I get a better offer. I had no idea that OBO could work that way.

I've run into that too. I occasionally see vehicles, usually weird stuff, from clearly weird people, listed as some kind of auction, "best offer received by July 34th, since I'm leaving the country for 6 months on the 35th. I don't observe the month of August for personal reasons."
I've heard that haggling is uniquely north American in the civilized world.

I've run into that too. I occasionally see vehicles, usually weird stuff, from clearly weird people, listed as some kind of auction, "best offer received by July 34th, since I'm leaving the country for 6 months on the 35th. I don't observe the month of August for personal reasons."
I've heard that haggling is uniquely north American in the civilized world.

If its a north american thing all the people who migrate here pick it up really fuckin fast!

I bought a 2.5t roller last night. Old man was cool as shit and knew his stuff. Told me all the little things wrong etc and was honest to the T. We were discussing it and he stopped and said 'let me see your hands' He told me if I had soft hands he was not going to sell it to me bc he didn't want a phone call at the first issue. I laughed.

I told him how much I had brought with me $1,200 and he politely declined, we went back and forth a bit and I told him I could come up with another $150 - GF had some cash on her, and I had my emergency $50 tucked in my wallet. He still was firm that his bottom $ was $1,400. I told him I would go see what I had in misc cash in my wallet and see how close I could get- which he agreed was fair. After about 10 more minutes of BS'ing I went to get the cash ready and he came up and told me not to worry about the misc cash $1,350 was good with him. We loaded up and spent almost an hour just talking about stuff. He showed me his cars and toys, I told him about my backhoe adventures.

All in all great transaction. It was nice to see there are still decent people out there to deal with on CL

i fawkin hate when the 1st response to an ad is "will you take $XXX for it?"

um no, you havnt even seen it, what basis are you giving me this offer?

I always go look at something in person before i make an offer

and if its something i want, i basically bring his asking price and try to work a deal down from there

but ive basically accepted his price by setting up the meet

im a terrible haggler btw:laughing:

Tramp, try and let this brew in your brain for a few moments before responding.

We are citizens or Citizens if you like as the words mean different things, of the US or "united States" while we have been called americans this is in error as the USA is a combination of the united States and america so follow this usa = united States of america following so far ?

So when someone says USA this means a part of america "of america"

Ok so Canada and Mexico are also countries of america or in actually north america so they are canada of america and mexico of america.

So in reality we are not americans as we dont live in america we only live in a part of north america same as mexicans and Canadians.

The nationality of people if the united states as follows no matter what wikipedia says.

Statute, by birth within U.S.
§ 1401), a person is a United States national and citizen if: the person is born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof. the person is born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe (see Indian CitizenshipAct of 1924)

We know, we're American. He, is a Canadian. :laughing:

I can tell you that tourist shit is cheaper at the airport in Mexico than the price you can haggle out of street vendors. You wanna haggle? Go to Mayheeco:flipoff2:

OK, so you're saying in Europe that if you post a car for sale, a guy just shows up and gives you your asking price?

A lot of north America isn't civilized either :flipoff2:

Thats what the aussies and Germans and brits worked with told me. I don't know, I have a whole bunch of Canada left to look at before I start looking at other countries.

A quick look at UK Craigslist and it looks like, well they don't really use Craigslist to sell cars :flipoff2:there was maybe a dozen or less on any given area. All were basically a few years old except 1 crv that did says "reasonable offers considered"

I also didn't see a bunch of "no low ballers" or "I know what it's worth"

Tramp, try and let this brew in your brain for a few moments before responding.

We are citizens or Citizens if you like as the words mean different things, of the US or "united States" while we have been called americans this is in error as the USA is a combination of the united States and america so follow this usa = united States of america following so far ?

So when someone says USA this means a part of america "of america"

Ok so Canada and Mexico are also countries of america or in actually north america so they are canada of america and mexico of america.

So in reality we are not americans as we dont live in america we only live in a part of north america same as mexicans and Canadians.

The nationality of people if the united states as follows no matter what wikipedia says.

Statute, by birth within U.S.
§ 1401), a person is a United States national and citizen if: the person is born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof. the person is born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe (see Indian CitizenshipAct of 1924)

Your understanding of the english language is flawed.

A quick look at UK Craigslist and it looks like, well they don't really use Craigslist to sell cars :flipoff2:there was maybe a dozen or less on any given area. All were basically a few years old except 1 crv that did says "reasonable offers considered"

I also didn't see a bunch of "no low ballers" or "I know what it's worth"

UK for sure and probly some other europeans are pretty weird with used cars

(my only knowledge is from top gear) :laughing:

modding your car there is putting on aftermarket rims and old junk is like 6years old

UK for sure and probly some other europeans are pretty weird with used cars

(my only knowledge is from top gear) :laughing:

modding your car there is putting on aftermarket rims and old junk is like 6years old

The average person also views their car a like we view a refrigerator, don't really give a fuck if it gets scratched, as long as it works.

Top Back Refresh