What's new

Do you ever tell potential buyers no thanks?

I was selling my 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins for $3000. Mechanically in good shape and had all the service records. The rear wheel wells and rear cab corners were rotting out. The A/C needed to be serviced.
My add stated everything that I knew was wrong with it and that lowballs or "What's your lowest price?" would instantly be met by a 10x price increase.

First dipshit that shows up looks it over and says "I'll take it." I'm like well fuck, that was easy.........not so fast. This genius counts out $1000 and tries to hand it over. I quickly tell him the price is now $30000 with the stupid tax. Dude goes on a rant about me wasting his time and it's not worth the grand he's offering.

I proceed to lock up the truck and head into the garage just as another person shows up and all he wants is the drive train. Hands me $3g and begins to load the truck on his flatbed. Dipshit starts yelling at both of us for scamming him. Second buyer calls the cops because dipshit threatened to "Kick his ass." 20yr old 120lb soaking wet. :lmao:

It was a great day. Sold the truck AND got to watch a male Karen get arrested.

I have my Tow Rig (F350 DRW) for sale.

All I get is messages saying "Bottom Dollar?"

That that is it, sometimes that add a "What's" in front of it.

For the first few days I tried to explain that shopping for the cheapest diesel they could find was going to cost them much more than buying a more expensive one but gave that approach up.

Isn't it a 6.0? you're going to deal with nothing but bottom feeders :laughing:

With so many douches not deleting their ads after the item was sold, this is usually how I start the communication. It gets tiring going into thinking up the downsides of a deal and deliberating on reasonable price and then get "sold it last week". So deleting your sale ad is that difficult?

I get the deleting of the sale ads as frustrating. When I see that message, I think you've put zero effort into the sale. So i do the same and delete the convo.

Yea, the whole "Is this item still available?" is the default message. I sometimes misclick that if I'm looking at something.

regularly and it sucks

I have no clue how y'all do that. hence why i delete since its 99% of the time an accident.

For the first few days I tried to explain that shopping for the cheapest diesel they could find was going to cost them much more than buying a more expensive one but gave that approach up.

My answer for those is to quote them the listing price :)

I've gotten to the point that I almost would rather give shit away to friends or people that I know will use what I am getting rid of than deal with Facefuck, or Craigs... especially if the value is less than 500 its almost not worth the damn trouble... I've definitely told people that were trying to buy stuff from me 'this aint for you' last time this happened I was selling a 67 C10 and dude wanted to fly in pick it up and drive it to upstate NY from Va in the middle of winter with manual brakes, steering, and coker bias ply tires.... told him this truck might be black but it doesnt need to be your hearse... :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Last edited:
I Put in the ad that I won’t talk price until they have looked at the vehicle and have cash in front of me. Assholes still try but I either ignore them or tell them to fuck off. I had one guy Text me an offer Of $300 for a civic del sol without looking at it. I said sure, meet me in the Walmart parking lot in an hour. He texted me that he was in the Walmart parking lot, what now? I told him to go inside and buy a bike with his $300 then blocked his number.

A very new member on pirate contacted me regarding a Jeep TJ rolling frame and tub that I had for sale. The price was $500, non negotiable.
It included a dana 30 with 4.88 an e locker, 4” lift and a rear 35 4.88 locked with chromoly shafts.

Told the kid that the price was non negotiable. When he arrives, it’s sitting by the door of my shop outside. He can look it over and if he wants it, call me, I’ll walk out, collect the cash and load it on my trailer with the forklift.

He arrives. I can see him looking it over from my kitchen window. Calls 20 minutes in and says his dad said it’s only worth $200. Said cool, I’ll scrap it.
calls back 10 minutes later and says $300 is the best he can do. Told him no and that he doesn’t obviously need it and I’m pulling the ad and scrapping it.

He leaves.

Another long time member messages me that night and wants the body. I told him it’s free to him.

I yank the body and cut the frame in half and loaded it into my scrap trailer.

Kid text 2 days later and says his dad was wrong and they’ll come get it for $500. I sent a laughing emoji with a picture of it cut in half and thrown into my trailer. He instantly called me and told me that I was an asshole and wasted his time:laughing:

A very new member on pirate contacted me regarding a Jeep TJ rolling frame and tub that I had for sale. The price was $500, non negotiable.
It included a dana 30 with 4.88 an e locker, 4” lift and a rear 35 4.88 locked with chromoly shafts.

Told the kid that the price was non negotiable. When he arrives, it’s sitting by the door of my shop outside. He can look it over and if he wants it, call me, I’ll walk out, collect the cash and load it on my trailer with the forklift.

He arrives. I can see him looking it over from my kitchen window. Calls 20 minutes in and says his dad said it’s only worth $200. Said cool, I’ll scrap it.
calls back 10 minutes later and says $300 is the best he can do. Told him no and that he doesn’t obviously need it and I’m pulling the ad and scrapping it.

He leaves.

Another long time member messages me that night and wants the body. I told him it’s free to him.

Kid text 2 days later and says his dad was wrong and they’ll come get it for $500. I sent a laughing emoji with a picture of it cut in half and thrown into my trailer. He instantly called me and told me that I was an asshole and wasted his time:laughing:

:lmao:

If the buyer has the money I want I am not going to turn it away unless they don't realize what they are getting into. If you're selling on CL or FB or the like, you're going to have to dig through a bunch of shit if you want to sell your item faster. That means you're going to have to respond to a bunch of short/dumb questions whether you like it or not. As a buyer I'm not going to write out detailed questions or try to negotiate without knowing the item is still even available because most people dont make it sold or remove it. I only mark items sold and do not delete anything so that all the information is still there in case something happens. Some of yall must not like money..

If the buyer has the money I want I am not going to turn it away unless they don't realize what they are getting into. If you're selling on CL or FB or the like, you're going to have to dig through a bunch of shit if you want to sell your item faster. That means you're going to have to respond to a bunch of short/dumb questions whether you like it or not. As a buyer I'm not going to write out detailed questions or try to negotiate without knowing the item is still even available because most people dont make it sold or remove it. I only mark items sold and do not delete anything so that all the information is still there in case something happens. Some of yall must not like money..

Exactly. The default button "is it still available" never works. When shopping, I'll always ask a couple few questions in the first message to show I'm rather serious; seem to get a quick reply that way.

Funny how people expect a perfect vehicle at near scrap prices. Sure those deals are out there, but you can't be offended when it's got some issues.

I get asked about used parts all the time. I don't sell used parts. Why not you have a bunch of them? Well, the reason I don't is because anyone asking for a used part is really saying they want a part that works like new, acts like new, lasts like new and they want it for 1/2 price or less. If I have a used part I can let go, I'll give it to you and if you or it dies because you used it, don't call me.

When I'm selling something any time people ask if it's available or ask questions that give me the impression they aren't a serious buyer I just ask when they would like to come take a look at the item. 90% of the lookyloo time wasters fuck off.

I tell potential clients "no thanks" occasionally. I require 30-50% deposit on some work if it requires a lot of overhead or risk. It's amazing how many only want trust to run in one direction. Some get the hint immediately and say I'm not the one for them. Others who won't pay a deposit have to be told to fuck off.

I had a guy who wanted to buy one of my POS XJs. Lifted, long arms, 33s that didn't have amazing tread, but really it was solid mechanically but it sure as hell drove like a lifted Jeep. He was super into it and stoked. He then went on to tell me how he wanted it as a winter driver for his wife, who was from the south (the fuckhole big city where it doesn't snow), and she's pregnant and was going to have the kid soon, and he wanted her to have something that would be "good on the highway in the snow" and it would be perfect with the bigger tires and the lift.

I told him I would not sell it to him, and that he should get her a newer half ton 4WD pickup or FWD car with modern safety features and good tires. He sounded crushed. :laughing:

I had a guy who wanted to buy one of my POS XJs. Lifted, long arms, 33s that didn't have amazing tread, but really it was solid mechanically but it sure as hell drove like a lifted Jeep. He was super into it and stoked. He then went on to tell me how he wanted it as a winter driver for his wife, who was from the south (the fuckhole big city where it doesn't snow), and she's pregnant and was going to have the kid soon, and he wanted her to have something that would be "good on the highway in the snow" and it would be perfect with the bigger tires and the lift.

I told him I would not sell it to him, and that he should get her a newer half ton 4WD pickup or FWD car with modern safety features and good tires. He sounded crushed. :laughing:

I bet he was hoping the wife would hate it and let him drive it instead :laughing:

Isn't it a 6.0? you're going to deal with nothing but bottom feeders 🤣

When I sold my 6.0l I priced it at my bottom dollar due to all of the known issues and noted that the price was firm in the ad. First guy to actually look at the truck bought it. I probably could have squeezed a bit more out of it but it wasn't worth the braincells it would have cost me :homer:

Back when I was looking around for a new jeep project, I found one that checked all the boxes except it had a 3 speed auto with no overdrive and the price was a bit on the high side. I messaged the dude and asked him about cruising speeds, and mentioned I was looking for something that could get up to speed on a highway every now and then. A couple of messages back and forth later with this guy reminding me that it was an "off-road vehicle" and the top speed slowly decreased from 50 to 45 to "cruising speed is best at 35 mph". I figured I'd be swapping in a new tranny with overdrive, so I offered him a little under asking price. He took offense and told me his jeep wasn't for me because it as built to do "extreme offroad rock crawling". I think he was butthurt that he wasn't going to get asking price on something he had put lots of work into(it's a crawler, they're not going to go up in value dude). I hunted around and found something with an LS and 700r4 for half the price down in southern California, showed up with cash and drove the thing 7 hours home on the freeway at 70 mph with zero issues. I kept seeing that dude's jeep listed for almost a year after we had that conversation.

Oh, and I did lots of "extreme offroad rock crawling" before I hacked this thing in half and started my stretch.

When I bought my Toyota it had some worn out 35" Boggers on it, and I had a good set of 35" BFG's, so I took everything to the local Discount Tire. As I'm sitting there reading an old Car and Driver, this kid comes up to me and asks if the Toyota is mine, and if he can buy the Boggers. I said, "They hold air, but that's about it. I wouldn't drive them on the street", and ask him what his offer is and he says $20 each, and I say OK and we shake hands. The Boggers come off and I can see the kid and his dad are talking and the old man is pointing to the recycle dumpster, and figure he's telling the kid they'll just take them out for free. Then the kid comes up and says his dad won't let him do the deal, and I say OK, but we shook on it, remember. So I walk out to the shop because the truck is ready and I see the Boggers are laying on the floor and I stab each one of them in the sidewall with a Buck knife, wave at the kid and his dad, get in the truck and drive away.

Good job Dad, you taught your kid to break his word, and nobody got what they wanted.

I am currently selling a truck. I have stopped responding or told several people to go to hell.

If you send me your first message a offer for 1-2 grand less, or ask what is your bottom dollar price goes up.

He leaves.

I’ve told people I was going to do that with smaller items they tried to lowball me on. Told them it wasn’t worth the effort to sell it to them, and I would rather cut it up and throw it away.

I’ve told people I was going to do that with smaller items they tried to lowball me on. Told them it wasn’t worth the effort to sell it to them, and I would rather cut it up and throw it away.

yup, i have a "not worth the time" bottom dollar and below that it's going in the trash or goodwill box.

I was selling a somewhat rusty 01 Chevy 250l0hd ccsb with a manual trans. A member of a local forum (and probably PBB) told me his elderly father needed something to haul gravel and asked me to drive it an hour so he (not the actual buyer) could look at it. I told him if he was pretty sure he wanted it, I would do it but the price was the price. He had a meltdown via pm and accused me of being pushy and giving him the hard sell. I had a friend send the truck to the auction and got my price.

Fuck that dude.

Yep, many times.

The last time was a 1997 Sidekick. Nice little lifted rig, straight body, all one color, running and driving great, but it did have a handful of items that needed work. Was only asking $1500.00 for it.

I listed out all the issues and adjusted the price accordingly and was swamped with people trying to talk the price down citing all the problems that I listed. I would laugh and tell them that the price already reflected the issues, they would continue to argue and I would tell them it wasn't the right rig for them.

I met up with one kid, let him drive it around, he loved it, then proceeded to try to get me to drop the price due to the problems I listed, acting like I was trying to hide the problems. Every time I would tell him it wasn't the right rig for him he would try to start backpedaling and then start on the price all over again.

While this was happening, another guy shows up and was quietly checking the rig out, after listening to the negotiations for awhile he stepped up, asked me if I would sell it to him for full price right now on the spot. I dropped the price $100 just too spite the kid, the guy paid me, we shook hands and I looked back at the kid and told him he better leave, it was sold. :lmao:

Priceless moment.

Bumped into the buyer a year or two later, he still had it and thanked me again for the awesome deal.

I do it all the time. Especially since most of the shit I sell is already listed at low ball price and I feel entitled to choose the buyer.

Im going through this now.

I have a 04 Ford Escape for sale. I am asking $1600. It runs/drives and the AC even works. Just an A to B solid 4wd.

Some guy texts me about it, saying he will be at my house at 4:30 last Sun. 4:30 comes and I get a text saying he was leaving and was running late. He is a 20 min drive from my house.

5, 5:30, 6pm come and go, and I had a BBQ to get to in town, so I leave. At 6:30 I get a text saying "Im here" I drive it back accross town and he looks at it and offers $1500. I explain all the work I put in it, (was a flip)and want $1600. He hims and haws, and again offers $1500. At this point, I just want him gone. Im in it a total of $800, I bought it off a friend super cheap, but it needed some work. So I tell the guy fine, thinking "just pay me and go away."

He then says, he can have the money wed, as he can only pull $500 a day off his card, blah blah blah. Fuck! Who makes a haggle on price with no money in hand! Shame on me for assuming I guess. He swears he will be back wed.

Wed comes and goes, now its Fri. He texts and asks if he can buy it Sat. In the afternoon. I tell him I have plans, before 10am is all I am available. He hims and haws again and asks something to the effect of me driving it to his house, and he would give me a ride home at noon ."nope" I reply, as I have neither the time or desire. Finally he says he will be there at 10. Of course he ghosts me until 9pm. Then he texts me and asks if I am available Sun. I say after 4:15pm (I work Sun/Wed)he says he will be there....low and behold....ghosts me.

Today, at my morning break he texts and says he has Tues off, am I available? At this point, fuck him. I ignore it. I get more texts with just question marks. All I reply is 4:15, to which he gives a thumbs up emoji.

Im not holding my breath. Shame on me for agreeing to a price without saying "cash now".

live and learn.

Blocking him at 4:16pm tomorrow.

Last edited:
I do it all the time. Especially since most of the shit I sell is already listed at low ball price and I feel entitled to choose the buyer.

I feel a lot of people don't get this attitude. I don't have to sell it, and you don't have to buy it.

I get told no on a daily basis, why people get so butthurt over not being able to buy something puzzles me.

Just respond with, its listed.

Andrew you're way nicer than I am. It would have been a 10x price increase every time he didn't show/showed up without cash and 5x increase every time he complained.
He would have been gone day one.

I still have a sub and amp from a previous car that I was selling. Paid about $1200 for the combo. No box wiring etc. Was asking $300 since they were a few years old but still worked well. In the ad I explained that they're currently hooked up in my garage and can be seen working.
First 4 replies were if they could hook it up in their car to test it. I took the ad down and now have a rocking sub for my home theatre.

......he just texted and asked If I could do any earlier.....:shaking:

I've about given up on selling most shit on the public market. Every time I sell something that's not a specialty item I have to wade through so many retards it's not worth the headache. I bought a dead Civic off a customer to flip a couple years ago. Slapped a head gasket in it and cleaned it up, posted it on marketplace for $2,000 and I thought my phone was gonna melt down with all the 1000-1200 offers and the rate at which I was just blocking retards. Had a handful that wanted to know "Why'd you do all that work just to sell it"... like it fuckin' matters.

Then I get a guy says he's interested and just drops a phone number. Wouldn't you know, the guy that didn't ask a single question about it till he was face to face with me brought cash and went home with a nice little commuter for less than my asking.

Top Back Refresh