What's new
Okay, I finally figured out a trackbar bracket. It isn't pretty but it should be plenty sturdy.

IMG_4780.jpg

IMG_4779.jpg

After spending all damn day making this chunky thing, I now believe a plasma table is worth it. I used my SWAG bandsaw table, bench grinder, and my Milwaukee cold cut saw to make this and it was still just a lot of work and clean up.

I had designed one in CAD a couple of weeks ago, mocked everything up and realized my design was off in several ways which led me down the path of just building it with 2x2x.250 square tube and .250 plate so I could build it as I go.

I need to pull the steering box and driver's coil bucket to finish welding up the sides of the trackbar bracket.

One problem I've chosen to deal with later: the trackbar will hit the diff at some point when stuffing the axle, so I'll need to find someone who can bend 1.75x.250 tube :homer:. There was no room to move the trackbar bracket further forward by my much on the frame side, and on the axle side it's already offset.

My next tasks: install the calipers, make brake lines, bleed the brakes, and turn this thing around.

Got some work-travel and whatnot but this was a big mind-hurdle for me and hopefully I can keep the momentum going.

If I had a way to easily get 1-3/4x0.250 tube, i'd bend it for you :rasta:

since you have all the good plate working stuff, where can you add more bracing? with as far out of the frame as your mount is, i'd be concerned about it trying to tear away the relatively small mounting pad at the frame. Going forward or under or back or anywhere to add some brace in another direction might be worthwhile.

or it might be a waste of metal, i dunno. Keep an eye on it though

Got the brake hoses bolted up, bled the brakes, tightened all the radius arm/drag-link/track bar bolts, removed the front driveshaft (won't work with the current exhaust routing), and drove it around the cul-de-sac to turn it around in the driveway.

I have to order some u-bolts and center pins but I can now get started on installing the shackle flip and then the Sterling 10.5 in the rear.

Going to be a little delay due to work I have to do on the Bronco and a weekend in Vegas but super motivated to get this thing on the road.

Some boring pictures:

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4880.jpg

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

is the exhaust/driveshaft just a temporary issue or is it all going to have to get redone after the flip/reverse/suspension is all done?

is the exhaust/driveshaft just a temporary issue or is it all going to have to get redone after the flip/reverse/suspension is all done?
I could be ghetto and just fix the offending driver’s side but I actually have stock manifolds to replace the low hanging headers that are on the truck now. I hate em, I’ve bashed them on rocks before doing easy trails, also someone welded them at the collectors.

The current exhaust is loud with a couple of flowmasters that sound like someone gutted them. I also have to pass smog so stock manifolds (with the heat riser tube) 2:1 with a magnaflow muffler is the plan once this thing is on the road.

Nice, I considered a similar route but thought I would try and extend it outboard.

If I need to give it more support I’m thinking of coming off the front of the trackbar mount with some tube and tying it into the frame rail forward of the steering box where I have that reinforcement plate.

Nice, I considered a similar route but thought I would try and extend it outboard.

If I need to give it more support I’m thinking of coming off the front of the trackbar mount with some tube and tying it into the frame rail forward of the steering box where I have that reinforcement plate.

That would work great too, being way outboard of the usual box/pitman being in the way, for something like that.

Got the rear axle in this past week. Trimmed the bent up dust-shields but I'm going to have to take it apart and completely remove them.. just wanted to get the axle under the truck and out of the way. Also, needed to get some money back from the 1/2 ton axles, tires/wheels, etc to keep funding this project! The stock leaf spring perches worked perfectly. I have replacement weld-on perches if I need to go that route but I'm hoping to get away with wedges on the leaf-packs (looks like I might need a little more downward angle but will figure that out later).

Next up:
  • rear brake lines/hoses
  • shorten rear drive shaft (will have to have exhaust re-done before I address front drive shaft)
  • measure for, buy, and install shocks
  • weld on shock mounts to the rear (front coil buckets were designed to work with stock lower shock mount on axle)
  • Tesla/iBooster electric brake booster install (just purchased this, should be here in the next week or so)

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4944.jpg
    IMG_4944.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4943.jpg
    IMG_4943.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4934.jpg
    IMG_4934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4935.jpg
    IMG_4935.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
What wheels are you running?

I was catching up on this thread and noticed you needed some .25 wall tube bent. When I needed to bend my panhard bar I bought one of the notorious pipe benders from Harbor Freight, bent my single 1.5 tube, packaged the bender back up, and returned it. It worked in a pinch on the heavy wall tubing as long as there is no severe bend angles. I have since upgraded to bender that can do up to 2'' solid bar lol.

Truck is looking great man

What wheels are you running?

I was catching up on this thread and noticed you needed some .25 wall tube bent. When I needed to bend my panhard bar I bought one of the notorious pipe benders from Harbor Freight, bent my single 1.5 tube, packaged the bender back up, and returned it. It worked in a pinch on the heavy wall tubing as long as there is no severe bend angles. I have since upgraded to bender that can do up to 2'' solid bar lol.

Truck is looking great man
I’m running this wheel:

Since I’ll drive this thing on the road a lot I tried to find the lightest weight wheel/tire that could still handle wheeling for now. When Im ready to build this all on my smog exempt frame and use a modern drivetrain I’ll go “all out” with beadlocks and 4-link etc.. but my skillset needs to be up to the task as well.

I think I’ll do the same with the Harbor Freight bender, great idea.

Thanks

Last edited:
With the 2.5" lift coil how much is the springs compressed length? From coil bucket to coil bucket.

Top Back Refresh