What's new

bought a house from 1910

When are you pouring the other parts? It’s going to get cold soon.

When are you pouring the other parts? It’s going to get cold soon.
probably next year, kinda like how the half of the basement floor that's in there was placed at the end of last year

freeze/thaw cycles are probably fucking me and it's all cracking apart or whatever but... eh, ain't nothing I can do about that other than dumping a bunch of heat in there or paying people to do it for me

Might yet do the bottom half of the stairs this year, but might not, gotta finish up the screw conveyor to get materials loaded down there now, since I kinda blocked off the easy skid steer access.

not on the house, really

stuff kinda grinds to a halt once the ground freezes
put some work toward the lower half of the stair forms during this indian summer that we got, and hung some more temp lighting
but for the most part, ain't really shit done after the second slab pour ITT

not really, been depressive about the... disutility of building shit to last

got the screw conveyor almost done, just gotta decide on what's gonna power it, I'm thinking snow blower
lower half of stair forms are 80% done
wall over by the garage door is sorta collapsing, gotta figure out what I want to do to keep the water away from it, shore it up and dig it out. Probably gonna be building another little shedlet thing on there to keep it enclosed while taking out the wood wall and installing concrete

I’m looking at homes in my area. A fixer upper here is a trashed 1990’s mobile home for way too much money. This place wasn’t even really established when your little place was first built

I’m looking at homes in my area. A fixer upper here is a trashed 1990’s mobile home for way too much money. This place wasn’t even really established when your little place was first built
still cowboys and indians at that point, really

digging out the broken remains of the concrete that was under my dairy barn
there's about thirty separate pours, some of them as thin as an inch, some as thick as 5, some have aggregate where others they decided that sand was cheaper than stone so it's actually mortar

anyways, underneath that there's 2' of "fieldstone and manure" that I been scooping out with a non-toothed bucket
very traction limited there, so when it finally quit digging I decided to hand load the bucket with stone
worked fine
went back to digging a couple more feet forward and lost all my traction again, hand load the bucket again but forget to back it out onto solid ground beforehand

yup, high centered with a bucket full of stone
fuck
finally dump it to push myself back 4', then load it all back up again

maybe tomorrow it'll be a little drier
gonna rain for the next four days after that, so I really gotta get it figured out before then lol
thinking about digging all the black shit out and replacing it with a mixture of washed sand and all the broken concrete and field stone I got piled up
maybe 4" of 3/4 stone atop the sand and large rock, maybe not, I dunno really

oops wrong thread
well it's tomorrow now
got about 3/4 of what I wanted to get done done
oh well

skiddy steer was fuel starving again because the lift pump is retarded
scavenged a clacky pump off something else and welded three more teeth on my little toothy bucket
pumpy clay was only about 2' down, so I dug to that depth, as I dug it out I'd toss what rock I could easily hand pick behind the face of the cut so it'd get mashed into the clay and the skiddy steer would not get mashed down into the clay, tossing buckets of washed sand on the rocks to fill in the gaps as it gets smashed down

popped the bead off the one tire that is on a slightly bent wheel, dunno what it is about these tires but the beads have no give at all so it doesn't seal good ever
hilift bead breaker'd it apart enough to clean the mud outta the bead and gave it the petroleum grease to try and soften the rubber

gonna rain for a few days so here's to hoping that not much of the manure gets washed into the sand, doing the dig-out and backfill in three 10' wide swaths to make re-using the stone a lot easier, only got 3/4 of the way through the first swath today so there's a little ditch across the cut
worst case I guess I can scrape off the layer of mud/sand/stone

thinking about making a tined rock bucket outta semifloat axleshafts, got 9 junk ones saved up, looking like I want 13 of them to get 4" between the tines
maybe 4" is too close together and it'll plug up with clay and dirt? dunno, figuring it's about as wide as I'd want to catch the size rocks I want to separate out

Dairy barn? Didn’t remember that in this story. Turning dairy barn into shop? What’s wrong with the cement that necessitates removing it all? Total shit floor? Pun intended.

Dairy barn? Didn’t remember that in this story. Turning dairy barn into shop? What’s wrong with the cement that necessitates removing it all? Total shit floor? Pun intended.
barn fell down cause a tree rubbed a hole in the roof a decade ago
spent way too much time trying to save shit wood from it, huge regrets

anyways, the concrete rubble that was the floor was very much not a floor
hell, it had ground wasps living under it in one area a couple years ago

Barn's still standing according to the tax office, since I saved the lean-to that was off its back
gonna leverage that into a fully depreciated shed of some sort, 30x34
ain't decided on what sorta construction I'm gonna do, probably end up being conventionally framed for the most part, might do trusses on 4' centers though

Barn's still standing according to the tax office, since I saved the lean-to that was off its back
gonna leverage that into a fully depreciated shed of some sort, 30x34
ain't decided on what sorta construction I'm gonna do, probably end up being conventionally framed for the most part, might do trusses on 4' centers though
What???!!! No monolithic concrete arch buried earth shop????!!!:flipoff2: Are you sick or something :lmao::flipoff2:

What???!!! No monolithic concrete arch buried earth shop????!!!:flipoff2: Are you sick or something :lmao::flipoff2:
Hell, I'm getting really disillusioned on even finishing out my house like that.
I just dunno man, I knew it was retarded going in at a surface level, but now I fully understand the retardation several levels deep.

Like learning about politics, it turned out that I knew the answers from the start but digging into the "how could anyone support the state in any way" just about kills you.

Shame it's straight and not a spade. The little machines need all the help they can get and once you put teeth on you're forgoing any delusions of doing "fine" clean up work with it.

But that's still an amazing deal for what it is.

nononono what I'm talking about making is one of them buckets where the floor and back of it are made outta plate on edge with spaces between so the dirt falls through and leaves the rocks in the bucket

my tooth bucket has five sections of CV axle shaft welded to it for teeth, they've been working good enough for me, though that bucket's only just as wide as the quick attach

now that's kinda something that might work in a root rake ripper plow sorta way (but weak, because I know someone'll point it out)

I kinda want to build the open floor bucket anyways though, feels like it'd be better for rattling the contents to get clay/dirt/mud knocked off the rocks

At my old job we had a couple different spaces of grapple and rock buckets and it seems like it would be nice to have a couple different ones depending on what you are trying to sift or save or if it is particularly moist a tighter spacing doesn’t let anything through. Perfect world you would have like a four, 5 1/2 and seven or so

At my old job we had a couple different spaces of grapple and rock buckets and it seems like it would be nice to have a couple different ones depending on what you are trying to sift or save or if it is particularly moist a tighter spacing doesn’t let anything through. Perfect world you would have like a four, 5 1/2 and seven or so
That could be achieved with a clever design. Make every second tine removable, or two of every three. The permanent tines would obviously have to be heavier because they're the backbone, but then the removable ones can be made lighter...

The removable ones could be axle shafts that fit through holes.

That could be achieved with a clever design. Make every second tine removable, or two of every three. The permanent tines would obviously have to be heavier because they're the backbone, but then the removable ones can be made lighter...

The removable ones could be axle shafts that fit through holes.
now I'm thinking that I oughta make it outta 1/2x2.5 or thereabouts at 6" OC
then have some 3/8x2 I got laying around welded together into a drop-in grate to halve that spacing

drop in grate goes in from underneath, front of the bars hangs on the cutting edge, piece of flatbar bridging all the bars a couple inches back from that underneath, and another bar bridging all of them with bolt holes in it to bolt to the underside of the rear of the bucket

now I'm thinking that I oughta make it outta 1/2x2.5 or thereabouts at 6" OC
then have some 3/8x2 I got laying around welded together into a drop-in grate to halve that spacing

drop in grate goes in from underneath, front of the bars hangs on the cutting edge, piece of flatbar bridging all the bars a couple inches back from that underneath, and another bar bridging all of them with bolt holes in it to bolt to the underside of the rear of the bucket
Yes, always good practice when designing.

Make everything adjustable and when possible symmetrical. Make things so you don't need to get it right the first time because you can always adjust/correct later.

I also always tell my guys to build stuff so it's easy to work on. Think about how you're gonna take it apart after it's been at the bottom of the ocean for a few years. Consider fasteners as consumables----->don't put bolts where the grinder can't reach, etc.

Yes, always good practice when designing.

Make everything adjustable and when possible symmetrical. Make things so you don't need to get it right the first time because you can always adjust/correct later.

I also always tell my guys to build stuff so it's easy to work on. Think about how you're gonna take it apart after it's been at the bottom of the ocean for a few years. Consider fasteners as consumables----->don't put bolts where the grinder can't reach, etc.
and never use weld nuts or threads in stuff when you can have a through hole so that the cut bolt remains can just be punched out

Top Back Refresh