What's new

bought a house from 1910

[486]

smells things
Member Number
Loc
pine city MN
the construction techniques are interesting, almost like they built it with 5' cielings then lifted it up
all those s-bent studs are secured with a grand total of two 20 penny nails and the 1/4" plywood interior sheathing (covered in wallpaper of course)
There was a title transfer in the wall cavity from 1957 for a '27 ford, so it seems as though the shitshow has actually passed the test of time, rofl

ignore the rainbow ladder, came with the barn (that fell down)

photo17635.jpg

photo17636.jpg

photo17644.jpg

Reactions: DMG
Hey, neat, the pics worked.
anyways, typical old farmhouse, been added onto so many times nobody knows what's what. Neighbor's wife's dad or maybe uncle owned the place in the 70s, got some info from them on a few of the various shitty renovations
in some places the floor joists are circular sawn 2x10s, black with age (mold?) on 3' centers
In one room they took and enclosed the porch, then took out the load bearing exterior wall. Great, except that what was the bottom chord of the trusses just ended 3' out from the exterior wall. They'd tacked on a layer of 1/4" plywood and that shit with a zillion brad nails was the tension member holding the whole fuckin' roof up. Got a video of that, but for whatever reason it plays flipped 90 deg and I can't figure out how to fix that one

Whoa... It looks like you have some "knob & tube" electrical stuff going on. I am sure your going to rip that shit out. :smokin:

First pic.... box next to door.

actually none of that, neighbor says electric came through the area in the '50s
it is however all wired with two conductor asphalt insulated shit though, oh and there are no less than 7 fuse boxes on the property. I have no fucking clue, some even have the garage sale grease pencil prices on them still

Almost got running water now, just had to run some 10/2 UF about 150' through the air from the pole over to a grain silo where the well is. I'm running 220 through it and using the bare ground conductor in the UF as neutral to run 110v shit, then just using the well casing as a ground rod for the pump house. Oh, reminds me I did some ghetto-ICF shit for the pump house. Poured the slab, made the interior out of 2" EPS foam, then made the exterior outta the same shit with 4" air gap between, then braced it up and put concrete and rebar between the sheets of foam. Worked great so far, even poured the roof, all with a pile of gravel a pile of sand and bags of cement.

Septic is a fuckin' mound so I'll no doubt need to fuck with the poop pump.

Jesus that's old

I can't even imagine all the ghosts you're going to have in that place :flipoff2:

Yes but its still standing right... I am looking at a house from early 1700's Mind blowing. The last one I lost out on was from 1787, think was rock solid, literally, 18" thick ROCK walls.

That's not knob and tube, it will be on ceramic insulators and run in different joists. Actually as long as you dont short it it's pretty bullet proof, pulled out out of multiple properties 100 years old that haven't burned down. Imo biggest electric problems are caused by people taking shortcuts or not knowing what the hell they are doing.

Good luck with RIP out I'll see if I can dig up some pics from last flip, was built in 1912 complete but that turned out pretty well.

I live in an old farmhouse from 1910 too :flipoff2: the main beams (horizontal & vertical) are rough hewn trees, basement foundation is stacked rocks. In the 50's the roof was raised & now Ima renting an apt upstairs a while... No ghosts.

There's an old furnace left over & nonworking fireplace(closed off)...

If the house has good bones, worth fixing but only knowledge first hand will prevent headaches/money loss-

Jesus that's old

I can't even imagine all the ghosts you're going to have in that place :flipoff2:
heh, looking at google maps there's a mattress out back, by the time I bought the place someone'd burnt it.
The thermostat was set for 85 degrees.
The boiler's flue was routed through flexible dryer vent that went downhill over to the chimney, same with the water heater.
Fairly sure the old lady died of CO poisoning from those three things combined.

Course I've already given them ghosts a nice show, beatin' off and such.
It's kind of neat, I can walk around my front yard naked and the nearest neighbor is far enough away that they can't even see me willy.
Yes but its still standing right... I am looking at a house from early 1700's Mind blowing. The last one I lost out on was from 1787, think was rock solid, literally, 18" thick ROCK walls.

yeah, that wouldn't still be standing if this team of builders did it. Well, they still a team if they're spread out over 10 decades?

this thing is set on clay dirt, with 1' of concrete "footing" that was poured after the siding was on the house. No rebar save for a few pieces of leaf spring that I've found so far. All sloped inwards so that the (dugout) basement had 3' of water in it.

I live in an old farmhouse from 1910 too :flipoff2: the main beams (horizontal & vertical) are rough hewn trees, basement foundation is stacked rocks. In the 50's the roof was raised & now Ima renting an apt upstairs a while... No ghosts.

There's an old furnace left over & nonworking fireplace(closed off)...

If the house has good bones, worth fixing but only knowledge first hand will prevent headaches/money loss-

I'm more or less just stabilizing it and putting beams and poles in to hold the roof up. it'll be a real nice shed
All the insulation had to come out because of squirrels, and the shingles failed long enough ago that I pushed a couple exterior walls over by hand after building new ones a couple feet inboard. Got pole barn steel on the roof now.

It's old anaconda wiring/ mish mash of other older asbestos wrapped shit... tear it out and rewire it all if your gutting the place. Have fun dicking with the framing cluster fawk of that era. :flipoff2: Been there done that.

Ah right, here's the ladder I used to put the last couple sheets on the roof:

20200510_124706.jpeg

It's old anaconda wiring/ mish mash of other older asbestos wrapped shit... tear it out and rewire it all if your gutting the place. Have fun dicking with the framing cluster fawk of that era. :flipoff2: Been there done that.

yeah it's wierd they go from the fuse box to each box in line, it'll go like ceiling box, down to an outlet box, up into the ceiling, over a bit, then down to the next outlet box... Clearly done without opening up any of the walls. Been burning a lot of asphalt off of old wire. You get it hot enough and then bang it around to knock off the fiberglass. I don't think it is asbestos.

Jesus I just paid more than double that for 25 ac with only electric. That's a great deal.

[486 said:
;n94678] Got a video of that, but for whatever reason it plays flipped 90 deg and I can't figure out how to fix that one

Post the video somewhere, I or someone with expertise will figure out how to right it.

[486 said:
;n94776]

Course I've already given them ghosts a nice show, beatin' off and such.
It's kind of neat, I can walk around my front yard naked and the nearest neighbor is far enough away that they can't even see me willy.

I guess that's one benefit of having a small Willy with zero lot line housing :flipoff2:

And :lmao: ya I bet you scared off the ghosts

[486 said:
;n94800]

40ac
on an asphalt county road
300' driveway
well
electric
septic
barn (well, not any more)
house shaped object
$75K
I don't think I can lose money on this deal without being astoundingly stupid

well damn, that's a pretty solid setup

[486 said:
;n94776]...All sloped inwards so that the (dugout) basement had 3' of water in it.

The only time the basement ever flooded was when Hurricane Irene came by & that was nearly 2'. Local volunteer FD pumped it out-

My house was built in 1870. Found this photo of it sometime in the 1920s or 30s. (Center bottom)

The factory to the left is long gone, and there is a barn behind and to the right of the house now (~1800sqft)

Thats the Delaware river in the background.

Own the property to the left of the house that extends out of frame, its a 3/4 acre lot, as the property extends down the hill behind the house.

If we bought our neighbors house on the right, we would own almost the whole side of the street. After his house is a park, and then the Vets hall.

A TON of trees grew in on the slope behind the house, typical North East forest stuff and In the winter, when the trees lose their leaves, we can watch downtown, its quite an elevated street. We look down at the row of white homes in the background.

Bought as a fixer upper for the price of the lot essentially. Solid house, just needed some love.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200222_072453.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	94961 Click image for larger version  Name:	20180503_150451.jpg Views:	0 Size:	733.0 KB ID:	94962

That’s a new house. My place in Ohio was built in 1870:laughing:

god this forum software fucking sucks
how do I make this text editor display plaintext?

anyways, looks like youtube flopped it upright. How convenient

one man show, so I laminated that beam in place and put a wall under it
stacked rock foundation was still under there

[486 said:
;n94670]ignore the rainbow ladder, came with the barn (that fell down)

Suuuuuuure it did...

Looks pretty standard for an old farm house. Have fun and don't snap your neck from shaking your head at all the odd cobbled together shit you find!

Folk's place was built in either 1899 or 1901. There's documentation on both dates. How's the plumbing? Dad redid the upstairs bathroom, and there was a mix of copper, lead, and brass piping. :laughing:

And no joke on the place being haunted. I lived with my folks for about six months until I found a house to buy. There were times Dad woke up and yelled through the basement door to stop the screams. You'd lay down in bed at night, and the corner of the bed would sink down as if someone was sitting there. Screw that noise.

Top Back Refresh