What's new

Big Dumb Loads

I'm asking if the tire will lock up with weight on it. I wanted an experienced answer, not a guess. Nobody gave one. I was happy that I got two answers about that much weight on a 7000 lb trailer. Of course, one says there will be damage and the other says no. I haven't made up my mind yet. In fact I probably won't untill it's on the trailer.

Depends on how good the brakes are.
I had about 6000# of tractor on a 12,000# trailer last month and was able to lock up the brakes when I was messing with the brake controller.

As for damage, it depends on how well built your trailer is.
We haven't seen any pictures of your trailer to be able to tell how well it's built.

Aaron Z
​​​

Should be fun to find the tire as it rolls into the swamp IF it locks up.
me?
just gunna glaze the shoes and turn into a turbo..:grinpimp:
video this endevour PLEASE:flipoff2:

Yes, you fucking dumbass, the tires will lock anytime you tap the brakes because you are feeding them the full 12v off of the brake lights. Seriously, they will lock right up if you look think about touching the brake pedal to slow down for a turn. How do you think trying to turn while braking is going to go? At least until you blow the fuse, then you will have no brakes at all, pushing the your ass right out into the other lane. Why do you think brake controllers are adjustable dumbass? A brake controller is like $40, and available at any auto parts store.

Go ahead and do it though. You’re Florida Man, so no matter what stupid fucking idea you try it will work out fine for you. The meth heads around here worry me far less than some of the stupid ideas that come out of your head.

I don’t give a shit about the trailer being overloaded, but your braking idea is stupid and you should have your license taken from you permanently and undergo castration for being stupid enough to even think about that.

So you adjust the controller based on your load. So wouldn't you think if your overloaded, it would need max power? There are allready company's that make blue tooth controllers that use the brake light power. So you apparently don't know shit about the fuse situation. When I hauled 6000 lbs., I could feel it push my truck with two disc and two big drums, but you're saying 9000 is not going to push two little drums on the trailer. Maybe you should think before you shoot your mouth off. I would prefer the trailer to drag my truck to a stop before even getting in to the truck brakes. I doubt that will happen though.

Get off your high horse. You remind me of all the guys that said flat towing was terrible dangerous. All I want was experinced answer and I get more doom and gloom than covid reporters. For everyones info, I've have flat towed the project multiple times now with absolutely zero problems.

WaterH What are you towing the 9k load with? Pics of trailer?

I do believe you will lock tires. I'm also betting your axles bottom out hard enough to wear the inside of your trailer tires.

Should be fun to find the tire as it rolls into the swamp IF it locks up.
me?
just gunna glaze the shoes and turn into a turbo..:grinpimp:
video this endevour PLEASE:flipoff2:

This is a more intelligent guess than I've been getting.

Reactions: Clb
God Damn you're fucking dumb. Brakes need a 10 or 8 gauge wire. Running the trailer brakes off the smaller brake light wire WILL blow the fuse. And NO the blue tooth doesn't use the brake light power to run the brakes. See that big plug in receiver that the Curtis unit uses, that's the blue tooth antenna and a relay to use the accessory (12V) power as the brake power. Which NEW FLASH ! Is a 8/10 gauge wire that can handle the current.

Even of the tires dont lockup you will burn through the brakes in no time
my 7k with 5k on it will lock 4 tires up with 5v from the controller

This is building up to be epic. Hopefully a bus load of nuns are not killed in the process but I'm just waiting to see this come across the "Florida man" headlines. :laughing:

My 10K locks up with 12K at 100%

Not fun.

WATERH

Why do you still question us on this?

God Damn you're fucking dumb. Brakes need a 10 or 8 gauge wire. Running the trailer brakes off the smaller brake light wire WILL blow the fuse. And NO the blue tooth doesn't use the brake light power to run the brakes. See that big plug in receiver that the Curtis unit uses, that's the blue tooth antenna and a relay to use the accessory (12V) power as the brake power. Which NEW FLASH ! Is a 8/10 gauge wire that can handle the current.

The wires that go out of the brakes are 16 ga. (Not ones I installed) If you go to the link I posted, they explain how the blue tooth uses the brake light power. Want to try again?

What link you dumb shit? The only link you posted is the amp draw on the magnets. I went back and looked and didn't see any link on a blue tooth control.

My 10K locks up with 12K at 100%

Not fun.

WATERH

Why do you still question us on this?

This is the experince info I wanted. Not sure about your last comment. It's only been two hours since you guys posted. Do you take everything from the net as gospel? Like I said, all that nonsense about flat towing was obviously by people that never flat towed shit.

So Just to recap; you’re planning several days in advance to load a 9k lb excavator on A 7k rated car trailer and tow it 100miles with brakes hotwired on your 35 yr old bronco tow rig???

So Just to recap; you’re planning several days in advance to load a 9k lb excavator on A 7k rated car trailer and tow it 100miles with brakes hotwired on your 35 yr old bronco tow rig???
VS renting a 18' 9,990# rated trailer for a day for $89 from Sunbelt: https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...e-trailer-10k/
Or a larger one for about the same price: https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...e-trailer-10k/

The tow off the side of the road will cost a lot more than that...

Aaron Z

Last edited:
I feel like if you need to start a thread about this you probably shouldn't be doing it. Personally I've spent my whole life hauling trailers and never even had brakes until recently. I wouldnt even think twice about running no brakes.... but I sure wouldnt run them hooked to full power.

Depending on the condition of your brakes they may very easily lock up with a full load or they may bairly work.

Drive slow, avoid major bumps aand dips, and you will probably even get back without bent axles.

1996 Bronco is rated to tow 4k I wouldn't have want to even tow that with the one I had and all the steering, suspension and brakes were new.

WaterH I'm thinking your plan is shit, and there's too high a chance you'll hurt an innocent person

stubborn is one thing, endangering innocent people is different, don't be that guy

WaterH I'm thinking your plan is shit, and there's too high a chance you'll hurt an innocent person

stubborn is one thing, endangering innocent people is different, don't be that guy

How slow would he have to drive before you'd quit with the "much innocent bystanders" nonsense?

It's not like there's long grades in Florida/. It's very possible to do what he wants safely. It just might be so fuckin slow that he decided he'd rather rent.

1996 Bronco is rated to tow 4k I wouldn't have want to even tow that with the one I had and all the steering, suspension and brakes were new.

I don't know about your Bronco, but I just googled it and their rated at 7000 lbs.

You snowflakes can calm down. I don't want you to add to the covid death count. I will probably rig a controller up. I may not even buy it. I found another one closer, but has quite a few more hours on it. If I can ask another question that won't make you have a heart attack, would you consider a machine with 4800 hours?

I don't know about your Bronco, but I just googled it and their rated at 7000 lbs.

You snowflakes can calm down. I don't want you to add to the covid death count. I will probably rig a controller up. I may not even buy it. I found another one closer, but has quite a few more hours on it. If I can ask another question that won't make you have a heart attack, would you consider a machine with 4800 hours?

A sub 10klb machine with 4800hrs that runs is either compleatly worn the fuck out and bairly hanging on, or 80+% worn the fuck out and will fall apart on you.

sure there are exceptions but ^^^ that's how I would see it.

I've ran 1000hr rentals that were beat to fuck and 2500hr machines that were still halfway decent. However I have never ran one over 3500 hrs that I thought to myself "hmm this is in pretty good shape"

This is the experince info I wanted. Not sure about your last comment. It's only been two hours since you guys posted. Do you take everything from the net as gospel? Like I said, all that nonsense about flat towing was obviously by people that never flat towed shit.

WaterTard: Hey guys, I want to do this stupid thing that will potentially cost me thousands and/or hurt me or other people.

IBB: Here's a hundred reasons, from our collective personal experience on why that's a bad idea.

WT: But I could literally save tens of dollars and I already made up my mind before I posted.

IBB: Stares in retard.

Another thought is any tool rental yard should have a 10k rated trailer with surge brakes for $50/day. Not ideal either but better then your plan.

What did you dig your massive amphibious floating/testing pond with?

How slow would he have to drive before you'd quit with the "much innocent bystanders" nonsense?

It's not like there's long grades in Florida/. It's very possible to do what he wants safely. It just might be so fuckin slow that he decided he'd rather rent.

photo33562.png

VS renting a 18' 9,990# rated trailer for a day for $89 from Sunbelt: https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...e-trailer-10k/

Or a larger one for about the same price: https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...e-trailer-10k/

The tow off the side of the road will cost a lot more than that...

Aaron Z

even in Florida man land, I think renting a 10k Equipment trailer to a guy driving a bronco without a brake controller is not likely to happen... edit : especially to a guy with no credit card nor checking account..

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh