What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

I did read most of the thread but might of missed it. We've been having interweb issues with cable. How is starlink with weather like snow and clouds. Got over a foot of snow last night.
Mine goes down in heavy downpours/snow, and sleet. No issues with cloud cover and I have a 100% clear view of the sky according to the app.

1677075667104.png

Just got this notification. Sucks for me, but I'm sure some of you out there are getting a discount?

$120/mo for 1TB of the best internet I've ever had still seems a bargain. I get why some get cranky with the price changes, but at least they are proactive about it.
Better than some legacy companies that just cancel your service contract, or wait too long and have to institute 50% price increases IMO.

1677075667104.png

Just got this notification. Sucks for me, but I'm sure some of you out there are getting a discount?

$120/mo for 1TB of the best internet I've ever had still seems a bargain. I get why some get cranky with the price changes, but at least they are proactive about it.
Better than some legacy companies that just cancel your service contract, or wait too long and have to institute 50% price increases IMO.
Yeah I got the new discounted rate on mine apparently.

:mad3: pisses me off but the 10-50mbps speed is 10x better than any other service we've found so far so I guess I'll just keep bending over and taking it.

Mine went up.

I think they screwed up by offering the RV service. Anybody that has been waiting for their area to get better coverage just bought the RV version and oversaturated an already saturated area.

My Brother did, he was waiting for a year and got the RV setup in a week. I can't blame them; we don't have any other decent options.

Maybe it will push the people with other options to get off starlink, Im not sure how many of those people actually exist though.

:mad3: pisses me off but the 10-50mbps speed is 10x better than any other service we've found so far so I guess I'll just keep bending over and taking it.
same here. its the only viable option so we just take it dry.

I got the email as well and it’s going up for us. It’s still my only option, so we’re just going to have to eat the price increase. We have shit cell signal so not even that is available.

I got the discounted rate. Doesn’t matter either way. Cable company wouldn’t come across the road and up the driveway. Address is unserviceable at this time.

I'm wondering how it's done. Those satellites have to have a shelf life. They use some energy to do their work. They must be a solid fucking battery bank. I wonder if it's even useful to use solar recharging.

I need this for a boat. I'll likely never be able to afford it. Waiting for the open source hack. 😂

I'm wondering how it's done. Those satellites have to have a shelf life. They use some energy to do their work. They must be a solid fucking battery bank. I wonder if it's even useful to use solar recharging.

I need this for a boat. I'll likely never be able to afford it. Waiting for the open source hack. 😂
5 years - Starlink satellites: Everything you need to know about the controversial internet megaconstellation
But when you launch a few dozen at a time it won't be hard to keep up

According to this reddit thread they have roughly a 3kw solar array -

I don't think they went to crazy designing these since they needed to be able to mass produce them. Some satellites, especially those that we send out too far from the sun for solar use a form of nuclear battery where the difference in heat between a nuclear fuel source and space generates power - Radioisotope thermoelectric generator - Wikipedia - its some pretty neat stuff.

I heard an astrophysicist lady talking about things and apparently nobody is happy about the starlink constellation making ground based observation of the sky near impossible.

I heard an astrophysicist lady talking about things and apparently nobody is happy about the starlink constellation making ground based observation of the sky near impossible.
They should be happy that Elon's end goal is to populate Mars then. They can go stand on the ground there. :laughing:

He needs to hurry up and launch some more so my speeds will go up. :flipoff2:

Thats a totally bogus accusation. Starlink is only visible during dawn or dusk and any astrophotography is done by taking many pictures and stacking them together. Any pics with a starlink flare can be removed.

Astrophysicists would have the worlds lights extinguished at 7pm every night if they had their way.

Thats a totally bogus accusation. Starlink is only visible during dawn or dusk and any astrophotography is done by taking many pictures and stacking them together. Any pics with a starlink flare can be removed.

Astrophysicists would have the worlds lights extinguished at 7pm every night if they had their way.
that did indeed seem to be her wish.

that all of society could just shut itself off, but make sure to leave the technology for them to look at the skies.

Well, after scrapping starlink last year, and about 4 months after I was able to get T-mobile 5g, I saw a bucket truck out in my front yard working on the poles. Went and talked to them and learned they're stringing up fiber for one of the major cable companies. Should have 400mb+ fiber avaialbler within a month. :smokin:

Well, after scrapping starlink last year, and about 4 months after I was able to get T-mobile 5g, I saw a bucket truck out in my front yard working on the poles. Went and talked to them and learned they're stringing up fiber for one of the major cable companies. Should have 400mb+ fiber avaialbler within a month. :smokin:
Funny how the govt has been funneling tax money to telcos to build out networks for decades, and when there is finally an actual competitor, they finally start expanding.

I am very lucky to live rural and have hardline internet, Starlink has been a game changer for a lot of people locally. This area’s allotment is full but so many are using the RV loophole its so saturated that the speeds have gone to crap.

Was nice to go to the camp and a buddy of mine brought his since theres zero cell coverage in that area

Funny how the govt has been funneling tax money to telcos to build out networks for decades, and when there is finally an actual competitor, they finally start expanding.

Ours has been doing rural development for 15 years at least. It's also a co-op and not Comcast or Spectrum.

I have cable, with a 1gbps connection (regularly measure 750+). I'm over 100 miles from a Wal-Mart, so middle of nowhere. We have 2 fiber lines now instead of 1, as in 2006 a farmer dug into the 1 fiber line servicing town (needed to bury a cow between the markers of course) and turned everyone off for 3 days.
No internet, no outside land line calls, no outside cell calls, no cable TV.... It was an interesting 3 days.

They decided to make it redundant finally, and have only got faster and better with all the rural development.

Ours has been doing rural development for 15 years at least. It's also a co-op and not Comcast or Spectrum.

I have cable, with a 1gbps connection (regularly measure 750+). I'm over 100 miles from a Wal-Mart, so middle of nowhere. We have 2 fiber lines now instead of 1, as in 2006 a farmer dug into the 1 fiber line servicing town (needed to bury a cow between the markers of course) and turned everyone off for 3 days.
No internet, no outside land line calls, no outside cell calls, no cable TV.... It was an interesting 3 days.

They decided to make it redundant finally, and have only got faster and better with all the rural development.
Ours sure haven't. All they do is up the speeds for people that already have it to compete with the other company that also ups their speeds. My house is roughly 4 miles from town and 22 years ago DSL was going to be out there in 6 months. There is still no cable or telco If anything, its gotten worse. I used to have cell coverage but now I can't even make a call in my yard.

Home cell finally opened up today as "available" so I moved my service address to the house. Hopefully that will radically increase speeds. Been doing fine with 10-50mbps but if i could get over 100 I can probably start working from home again, at least part time. :smokin:

Last edited:
Home cell finally opened up today as "available" so I moved my service address to the house. Hopefully that will radically increase speeds. Been doing fine with 10-50mbs but if i could get over 100 I can probably start working from home again, at least part time. :smokin:
Good to hear Sceep. I know you have been waiting, what almost a couple years now?

When we first got Starlink my speeds were almost always 125 plus. Now with the market getting saturated (or at least that is what Starlink said when they increased our rate to $120 per month) speeds are slower, and I hardly ever see those 175 - 200 numbers.

But even at 50 - 75 it is 100x better than what we had before. Folks coming off cable might not be impressed, but I have to thank that Elon bloke.

Good to hear Sceep. I know you have been waiting, what almost a couple years now?

When we first got Starlink my speeds were almost always 125 plus. Now with the market getting saturated (or at least that is what Starlink said when they increased our rate to $120 per month) speeds are slower, and I hardly ever see those 175 - 200 numbers.

But even at 50 - 75 it is 100x better than what we had before. Folks coming off cable might not be impressed, but I have to thank that Elon bloke.
Yeah, about 19 months IIRC. 100 would be KILLER. Wish these fuggers that have actual other options would use them.

Mine finally shipped out a few days ago. Very much looking forward to having internet that's actually viable for downloading stuff and gaming for the first time since I left for college in 2015. Fuck you microwave internet bullshit :homer:

I’m still seeing at least 100mbs every time I run a speed test on my Starlink. Good thing since it’s my only option.
The farther north the better speeds you can get generally. More sats in view due to how the orbits are laid out. Mine seems to be getting faster as he launches more sats. I can see 100 pretty often now. It was closer to 30 when i first got it but that's still 10x faster than my only other option.

I am getting 71 download and 38 up right this moment, using the starlink test in their app on my phone. My youngest is streaming netflix right now, wife is streaming music in another room, and one of my step sons is visiting and currently in the bathroom, so I am assuming he is on his phone.

just canceled mine today. apparently the local terrestrial internet decided that they were going to install fibre in the neighbourhood and just got it hooked up last week. seems to be working well so far.

Top Back Refresh