What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

just canceled mine today. apparently the local terrestrial internet decided that they were going to install fibre in the neighbourhood and just got it hooked up last week. seems to be working well so far.
Rural or city? There's fiber getting buried in my neck-o-the-woods, but the shit is about 2.5x as much as my Starlink to get the same service. Is Canuck telecom subisidized like everything else up there?

In one of the sailboat forums we've been discussing Starlink. One of the boats has the RV setup as many others have as well. I think that they have the international RV package. I believe that is $199 per month. Anyway, they are 3000 nautical miles offshore and it's still working.😎

just canceled mine today. apparently the local terrestrial internet decided that they were going to install fibre in the neighbourhood and just got it hooked up last week. seems to be working well so far.

That's what's happening here too. I think the state or the fed handed out some covid bucks for "rural internet" improvements or something. They strung up the support wires a couple weeks ago but I haven't seen any activity for them actually hanging the fiber.

I'm skeptical at what they'll try to charge to run the ~500' of service fiber from the road to my house though.

From what the guys hanging the wire told me, it's probably only going to be ~400Mbps. I'd be better off spending money on a 4x4 mimo and little tower to improve my Tmobile signal. And then rend a trencher so I can hardwire my house instead of using the wireless link I have now. That's my biggest speed killer.

This is what I'm seeing right now in the shop right next to the modem. When I run a test in the house, through the M5 Locos I get no more than 10Mbps.
1679750986229.png

Rural or city? There's fiber getting buried in my neck-o-the-woods, but the shit is about 2.5x as much as my Starlink to get the same service. Is Canuck telecom subisidized like everything else up there?
Rural.

starlink = $160/month

fibre 1g plan = $95/month for 24 months, then $130 i think.

we paid nothing to get it into the house. up here, the service provider is responsible basically up to the demarc/modem. You deal with everything past that.

Just got my Starlink working. It’s way faster. Now I can surf while watching tv. (My tv comes from the net)

We all need to make Musk richer.

broadband expansion was pushed through when Obama was in office. Given to the states, takes awhile to get it all in. I'll probably try Starlink for my cabin.

I'm waiting on my equipment. I have fucking AT&T right and Starlink is my only option. I'd rather do business with Musk that a Liberal woke company plus my internet speed would be 10x faster.

broadband expansion was pushed through when Obama was in office. Given to the states, takes awhile to get it all in. I'll probably try Starlink for my cabin.
Yes and no. There was the net neutrality deal from obummer, but now the federal grant money is from the trump and obiden regimes. And there's fuck tons of it. Printing money like it's toilet paper.
I work for a small rural utility, my fiber build budget is over 20mil this year, all of it for fiber expansion. We charge under $100/mo for most fiber plans. Most people don't need more than 100mbps which is $60/mo I believe.

Interesting article. Seems starlink may not be the end all be all.

Yes and no. There was the net neutrality deal from obummer, but now the federal grant money is from the trump and obiden regimes. And there's fuck tons of it. Printing money like it's toilet paper.
I work for a small rural utility, my fiber build budget is over 20mil this year, all of it for fiber expansion. We charge under $100/mo for most fiber plans. Most people don't need more than 100mbps which is $60/mo I believe.

Interesting article. Seems starlink may not be the end all be all.
This reads like a whiney bitch.
“ I have to install it myself”
“sometimes I can’t use video or have trouble with online docs”

We have fiber at work. It’s less reliable than my Starlink. We have all the problems the author described and there’s no remedy (according to the provider).
I will admit it isn’t quite as good as a year ago, but only that outages are slightly higher duration (a minute or two vs seconds) but they are infrequent.

We have fiber at work. It’s less reliable than my Starlink. We have all the problems the author described and there’s no remedy (according to the provider).
I will admit it isn’t quite as good as a year ago, but only that outages are slightly higher duration (a minute or two vs seconds) but they are infrequent.

Yea, “install myself” is one plug in the wall, two plugs in the router and one plug in the dish. Oh and snap the dish in the base.

Not my article, and I don't even agree with it. Simply sharing as you don't see much negative about starlink, warranted or not.
If you have an unreliable fiber service, you have a really shitty provider. Fiber is by far the most reliable medium to transfer data.

Mine went up.

I think they screwed up by offering the RV service. Anybody that has been waiting for their area to get better coverage just bought the RV version and oversaturated an already saturated area.

My Brother did, he was waiting for a year and got the RV setup in a week. I can't blame them; we don't have any other decent options.

Maybe it will push the people with other options to get off starlink, Im not sure how many of those people actually exist though.
My area is not rural in the classic sense, but it is low density with a minimum 1 acre lot per home, with lots on 2.5 or 5 acres with riding arenas, etc., no street lights, no fire hydrants, no sewer, well water, etc, just the way we like it. Anyway with such low density, it doesn't make financial sense to bring in cable or fiber or whatnot, so there are a couple WISP's that operate out here, and for $80 month I get 50 down and 20 up which is fine for streaming and only gets wonky in downpour rain, regular or light rain has no effect. A little 5 or 6" dish on the roof and a small wall wart near my router to power it and we can run all the TV's, phones, computers, printers, music servers, no problem.

I would think they could do the same for an RV park. I get it, on the road or remote, Sir Elon's method makes more sense, but do RV parks generally offer WiFi, or are you on your own? And if you have 250 RV's in a single park and they all get on SL, does that drag it down? Is it that the satellites only can provide x amount of bandwidth per square mile or whatever?

This dude apparently doesn't realize that SL is barely rolled out, or how any of it actually works. The full rollout is a longer term thing.

Not my article, and I don't even agree with it. Simply sharing as you don't see much negative about starlink, warranted or not.
If you have an unreliable fiber service, you have a really shitty provider. Fiber is by far the most reliable medium to transfer data.
I agree that in principle fiber is more reliable, but in practice it’s not in rural areas.
The cable itself isn’t the problem, the hubs and spokes of the system is. (ETA:hubs is a good analogy, spokes isn’t. Dunno the correct terminology:homer:). I don’t blame them as the hardware cost is higher than an urban core and you are serving less customers, but in my experience they over promise and under deliver.
Now, we are 70 air miles from the major population centers. If you are “rural” but 15 minutes outside a major population center you probably have a different experience as it’s easier to maintain and service the area.

Last edited:
I agree that in principle fiber is more reliable, but in practice it’s not in rural areas.
The cable itself isn’t the problem, the hubs and spokes of the system is. (ETA:hubs is a good analogy, spokes isn’t. Dunno the correct terminology:homer:). I don’t blame them as the hardware cost is higher than an urban core and you are serving less customers, but in my experience they over promise and under deliver.
Now, we are 70 air miles from the major population centers. If you are “rural” but 15 minutes outside a major population center you probably have a different experience as it’s easier to maintain and service the area.
I think it really depends on the company and the geography for redundant routes. We're several hundred miles from Salt Lake City, the nearest major hub.
The big difference in a good company, like I work for is we have 4 redundant routes out of our valley, and we have links directly to SLC, Denver, Boise, and Seattle. It goes back to not putting all your eggs in one basket. Also, we build every node on a redundant ring, not every company does that.
Working here is a stark difference in that we've had zero catastrophic outages since I've been here. My last job, we lost the entire state cellular network multiple times during my time there.
It's all in the network design and redundancy.

Ok, something weird has happened. We went to use the tv and it said there was no internet. My wife went on her phone and turned it on somehow. Now it works fine. Why was it off in the first place? Once you get it hooked up and working, isn’t it always on? It doesn’t require the “set up” phone, does it?

Ok, something weird has happened. We went to use the tv and it said there was no internet. My wife went on her phone and turned it on somehow. Now it works fine. Why was it off in the first place? Once you get it hooked up and working, isn’t it always on? It doesn’t require the “set up” phone, does it?
Did you just hook it up? I had to run the setup twice as it was hunting between satellites.

What did your wife actually do? Did it get stowed? Need a hard reset?

I’ve been running for about 8mo now. I’ve had to do a hard power cycle on the router <5 times.

I’m running the starlink into a UniFi DM with a failover port to a long range antenna grabbing my neighbors Comcast signal from 1/2mi away (Comcast won’t run me a line…that’s a thread in itself) and no failover has lasted for more than 10m(total time starlink was down) in that same period

This just a couple of minutes ago. Still loving it
WTF are you guys doing that you need so fast a connection that you can say "only 400mbps" like that?
Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 11.04.44 AM.png
I teach from home but ideally that home would be on my sailboat in a semi retirement condition in the Caribbean. I wish that I knew how to throttle down my internet to see where my dual high res video stream actually fails

I teach from home but ideally that home would be on my sailboat in a semi retirement condition in the Caribbean. I wish that I knew how to throttle down my internet to see where my dual high res video stream actually fails
Depending what router you are running your starlink into... if it supports bandwidth control/mangement you can give certain devices only so much to find where your cliff is

Got mine on friday. Better than any internet service we've ever had at the house by a factor of 10x the speed. Setup was so easy my grandma could have done it. I'm sold.

Downloaded a bunch of games and tried out DMZ with a buddy. I don't game much but having the option to do so instead of just plain not being able to is cool.

Last edited:
Depending what router you are running your starlink into... if it supports bandwidth control/mangement you can give certain devices only so much to find where your cliff is
Understood. I'm on fiber now, and would have to figure out how to do that to find out what I actually need.

Understood. I'm on fiber now, and would have to figure out how to do that to find out what I actually need.

My wife, is on ms teams all day, working on a very large, high traffic vpn, with no work or files saved on her work laptop (security reasons) , and in team meetings pretty much all day, working off our starlink, with no issues for over a year now.

Rural.

starlink = $160/month

fibre 1g plan = $95/month for 24 months, then $130 i think.

we paid nothing to get it into the house. up here, the service provider is responsible basically up to the demarc/modem. You deal with everything past that.

You got lucky. Doesn't seem like we will ever get it here. Very few houses and all very far apart on our road.

My dad got fibre at his place which is about 30 minutes from me last spring. Part of telus and the covid push for proper internet for rural areas. But he is on a lake and they are mostly 1 acre lots, so a lot more density.

You got lucky. Doesn't seem like we will ever get it here. Very few houses and all very far apart on our road.

My dad got fibre at his place which is about 30 minutes from me last spring. Part of telus and the covid push for proper internet for rural areas. But he is on a lake and they are mostly 1 acre lots, so a lot more density.
Im in joe rich are, just to the east of kelowna. They had no plans for us on their 5 year plan and there was a cost of a few mil or something to get them to bring it in. Then they just showed up and started running fibre. No complaints from me!

just hang in and one day they will show up unannounced. Will be a glorious day.

Top Back Refresh