What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 6.08.16 PM.png

Took me thirty minutes to get to the nearest neighbors to loot and pillage then it came back on.

I just checked the Starlink app and it showed we had about a 45 minute outage ending at 1850 MST. I was on the road and just got home so I hadn’t noticed.

Question for you guys…

Used the app to find a dish location that works. I was unable to find a spot that was totally unobstructed, always had a bit of red on the map.

Does it need to be totally clear or is there some wiggle room?

Question for you guys…

Used the app to find a dish location that works. I was unable to find a spot that was totally unobstructed, always had a bit of red on the map.

Does it need to be totally clear or is there some wiggle room?
You're more likely to have outages if there are obstructions. Only a little red? You'll probably be fine and may lose a few minutes here and there or never notice it at all. Assuming nothing's changed - you can always try it out and send it back for a full refund if it doesn't work out.

Mine has a tiny bit of red along the edges. As long as it’s not a lot in the middle it should be fine.

the app showed more obstruction than the dish does After I got it.

Agree.

Some red still gave us really good service but lost service 6 - 15 mins a day. When I moved it to the permanent location I still had a smidge of red due to nearby ridge lines. Lost service dropped to less than 30 secs a day. This was a couple years ago.

Now even that smidge of red has gone. I am assuming due to increased satellites in the net

Shit i think i probably have a good 1/8-1/4 red to my South. No problems. I've never even seen my dishy move other than startup and the few times I've stowed it. It points north, and only north.

Ordered the ROAM setup (same shit it seams).
Planning on boondocking this summer in Taylor Park CO.

I will have questions I bet.

Ordered the ROAM setup (same shit it seams).
Planning on boondocking this summer in Taylor Park CO.

I will have questions I bet.
I have the roam setup and it’s mounted permanent on our roof. It’s very simple. Mount, plug in and turn it on. It tilts around by itself and works. The only issue we’ve had so far is our bedroom tv has a Roku box and it doesn’t “get along” with the Starlink good. We are probably going to get another tv with all the stuff built in.

I have the roam setup and it’s mounted permanent on our roof. It’s very simple. Mount, plug in and turn it on. It tilts around by itself and works. The only issue we’ve had so far is our bedroom tv has a Roku box and it doesn’t “get along” with the Starlink good. We are probably going to get another tv with all the stuff built in.
I'm not sure what I am going to do yet on mounting. I like the idea of a "socket" on the roof too allow it to be up there and keep the base for shady location flexibility.

How does phone calls work over it? Wifi calling I guess?

I'm not sure what I am going to do yet on mounting. I like the idea of a "socket" on the roof too allow it to be up there and keep the base for shady location flexibility.

It seems to be ok, I have zero cell coverage and I can make calls.

Mine is mounted to a dish network pole using the starlink pole adaptor. It can be taken off really easy and put back on the stand that it comes with. I'd buy another cable if you plan on moving it so you don't have to remove the cable from the house.

I use Zoom everyday for work (some days it's nothing but Zoom meetings). If it can handle video conferencing with better audio, it can certainly handle phone calls.

The only issue I've had with using Zoom is that occasionally it'll disconnect for a few seconds and then come right back; I'm assuming it's switching satellites.

My wife is the phone receptionist/scheduler for the vet clinic she manages and Mondays are insane on call volume, easily 100+ calls.
She doesn't plan on being strapped to the phone but with the benefits of her situation she likes to help out as much as possible in that area.

As of right now I think we will have 3 Starlinks in our group, so we will have some redundancy.

i recommend samsung because they have a shit ton of free internet channels. :beer:

There are 3 in my family who use it for phones, it's the only way we have to make/receive phone calls. No issues.

I've been on the list for two years now. Just got moved out to the property, so I went ahead and signed up for best effort. Supposedly they'll upgrade to full residential once it becomes available.

So far it's been between 5 and 90mbps, generally around 30-40. Couple blips for a few seconds at a time, nothing major. Streamed a movie last night off Amazon Prime without a hiccup.

Annnnnnnd they just sent me an email saying they upgraded me to full residential. Seriously, just minutes ago. I was on best effort for all of 5 days.

Should have signed up for best effort months ago when it was first offered.

We just went under contract on a rural property with max 25mbps broadband speeds so we got on the beta list. Supposed to be available here mid to late this year. If the 25mbps works for us I'll probably how out but in case it doesn't I want a spot on the bus.

Got my email today. Two years later than promised but hopefully it's worth it.

Just got my order confirmation. 2-4 weeks to ship though? Fucking shit. I've only been on the waiting list for two and a half years.

Top Back Refresh