What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

Looks like the last couple launches opened up a ton of availability in the Western US/Canada/MX. Might check if you've been waiting. I know my FB and Next-door feeds have blown up with locals receiving their dishys this week.

Still waiting for my hex to turn available so I can change my address. :laughing:

1662651265744.png

Anyone else's speeds going to shit. I'm in CO and this is what I'm seeing now a days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221016-201705_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-201705_Speedtest.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 14
Anyone else's speeds going to shit. I'm in CO and this is what I'm seeing now a days.
I tried Starlink last month, ended up returning for refund...

The download speeds were good but the upload speeds actually sucked compared to my cellular router.
At first I saw downloads up to 212 Mb/s but after 10 days in it was more like your speeds above.

For the $110 price per month I was not impressed, my cellular router costs me $45/ month and will stream movies the same.

I tried Starlink last month, ended up returning for refund...

The download speeds were good but the upload speeds actually sucked compared to my cellular router.
At first I saw downloads up to 212 Mb/s but after 10 days in it was more like your speeds above.

For the $110 price per month I was not impressed, my cellular router costs me $45/ month and will stream movies the same.
That’s pretty common knowledge. Upload is not going to be great.

Wish mine were that good.
I'm receiving around 4mbps normally. Granted, my service address is a couple miles from my dishy location but its still pretty shitty.
It's also better than the microwave we had previously which is our only other option other than tethering the cell phones.

This is what will kill it for me. It's just another satellite internet company.
I'll have to be close to a city to get high speed internet. Checked my home fiber speed last night and it was 260 Mbps.

Yeah, as it gets more and more popular the speeds are going to go to hell or they're going to have to have the whole damn globe covered up in satellites.

I've never seen mine below about 25/10 Beats the hell out of the 3/1 I sometimes got on the wisp I was using. I've seen it as high at 150 down.

well... theres only like 2500 sats deployed out of a planned 12,000 so far...
Hopefully their plan for launching is better than their plan for rolling out service here. It was supposed to be nearly two years ago. When I got the notification a couple of months ago that it was still another year out I finally just said fuck it.

I have been on the list for well over a year and I have two buddies down the road that have it. I was supposed to have it this fall and just got a letter a couple weeks ago that says they will give me a dish but I will be D prioritized and if demand gets heavy I will be throttled and the customers already on will still be full service. By the way this is for the same price as everybody else is paying

I have been on the list for well over a year and I have two buddies down the road that have it. I was supposed to have it this fall and just got a letter a couple weeks ago that says they will give me a dish but I will be D prioritized and if demand gets heavy I will be throttled and the customers already on will still be full service. By the way this is for the same price as everybody else is paying
classic ISP overselling.

at least they're being honest about you getting fucked on the speeds. most ISPs would just sign you up and then bullshit you why the speed wasn't as advertised.

frontier I'm looking at you.

Bummer to see the problems, looks like there are still some growing pains to work out. I don't have much to say as far as personal opinion goes, but like all space stuff I try to keep up to date on what's going on. I don't know if it's still the case, but at the end of last year/beginning of this year I saw notes that the production rate of user terminals was hampered by the global chip shortage. I don't know if that's still the case, but it at least explains some of why the backlog of waiting customers hasn't been cleared as fast as everyone has hoped

SpaceX: Chip shortage is impacting “our ability to fulfill” Starlink orders

Their Starlink launch cadence so far this year has been excellent, with something like 29 batches up so far in 2022. This year has been their highest launch frequency by far, and they plan to dramatically increase that next year as well. The wiki link below shows the date and time of the launches to-date, along with their version. They've been launching V1.5 sats since last year, and I believe all of those have laser interlinking

List of Starlink launches - Wikipedia

It sucks to see them oversubscribe areas, not a huge fan of that unless the oversubscribed service is still better than the only other local options. Good to see they're upfront about it as noted though. I hope they don't oversaturate to the point where some of these low numbers you guys are posting become the norm, because all of their expected advertised speeds are supposed to be north of 50mbps down, and over 100 down for most users. It'll still never be a replacement for terrestrial cable/fiber, but that's been their business plan from the start.

While things are going well on the launch side of things, I hope the user experiences start improving from cases like you guys are sharing here :beer:

(sent from my cable connection :lmao:)

And some of the promised tech hansnt been implemented yet, like the linking of the satellites to each other.
an Elon Musk company promising wild technological innovation in an insane time frame and then failing to deliver?

no way.

Don't get me wrong. I like what the companies have accomplished, but every single product from a Musk company has been wildly optimistic about what was actually attainable in the given time frame.
Lots of people still waiting on a car that drives itself even though they paid for it.
dumbasses.

Test results are all over the place, just ran another and got 90/1.5. Even when it's on the low end it's still better than the dsl we used to have, and that's the only other option where we live. Although less that half the cost. In winter we frequely lose our power and with that dsl as they ride on the same poles so I guess for now, and unless it gets worse I'll continue to pay for the so so service.

It's moving forward, and its at least not just a rehash of the same thing. I've worked in IT long enough to see companies make every attempt to utilize every scrap of cabling that is already in the ground instead of just doing it right. It's going to come down to fiber for 70-80% of the population and sat or terrestial fixed for the remaining. What he is doing is no different or worse than any other ISP starting up.

There are 3 starlink antennas sitting in the room with me right now, testing for some client or another. Tempting to borrow one

I see this or a competitior being one of the keys to my 10-15 year plan to get to the hills. Having stable, decent internet will allow me to do consulting work on my terms when I need to make some money while still living a disconnected lifestyle the rest of the time

an Elon Musk company promising wild technological innovation in an insane time frame and then failing to deliver?

no way.

Don't get me wrong. I like what the companies have accomplished, but every single product from a Musk company has been wildly optimistic about what was actually attainable in the given time frame.
Lots of people still waiting on a car that drives itself even though they paid for it.
dumbasses.

No doubt, I don't disagree. However if everything comes together, it's a bfd. I'm not usually the optimistic one, but in this case I am..

What killed it for me was the poor upload speeds, but I just had to try it. Wasted $50~ to try the tech.

Decided to move my cellular router to top of a tree, had a tree climber mount weather proof NEMA box with the POE 4/5G cellular router.

Speeds as good or close to Starlink...

Screenshot_20221018-180246~2.png

classic ISP overselling.

at least they're being honest about you getting fucked on the speeds. most ISPs would just sign you up and then bullshit you why the speed wasn't as advertised.

frontier I'm looking at you.
They screwed up by letting everyone order the RV service regardless of location.

I think they were planning on chunking hundreds of sats per launch out of starship by now.

Top Back Refresh