What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

It's not that he wants that outcome out of Starlink guys, he just wishes a disruptor like Elon would take on terrestrial cable as well.

While I definitely see the desire for him to take on terrestrial cable as well, it's way too infrastructure heavy to implement in a field he doesn't have the means to handle currently. Unless he just buys in to the current infrastructure like every other ISP, but then he's stuck playing by their rules and not vertically integrated like all of his other companies.

The really crazy thing about Starlink when you think about it from an infrastructure standpoint - He has a manufacturing facility pumping out satellites, a rocket launch facility managing the implementation, and a customer service team. That's it. Compare that to the personnel and logistics required for terrestrial cable, and the vast difference in overhead between business models is insane.

im in the process of installing the rv version on the offshore tuna boat. tests sofar seem very possitive. about a 400 foot hotspot around the boat. guess we will see how it takes 60 knot winds and 45 foot seas soon.

i will be sooo glad to tell global star to fuck off if this works

I can affirm that 260 MB down over starlink is a hell of a lot better than 3.7 MB down over the microwave I used to use.
I allegedly have 200Mb, but can't even watch TV and check email at the same time. TV stops playing.

I allegedly have 200Mb, but can't even watch TV and check email at the same time. TV stops playing.
Somethings off then, either the 200 is incorrect, or you've got an issue with your home (meaning on your side of the Starlink router) network.

I'm getting around 100-120 here, I'm DL software packages, checking e-mail, on Zoom calls for work all while the kids are in the other room streaming TV @ 4K and playing on their tablets and my wife is in her office checking e-mail and doing other online work.

You're confusing the entire point of it. It is not and was never meant to compete with markets that have cable or fiber available to them.
Y'all are retarded. I never said it was.

My entire point is that lately he's taking on new industries and shaking up the status quo. I'd like to see him to the same thing with hardline internet service.

It's not that he wants that outcome out of Starlink guys, he just wishes a disruptor like Elon would take on terrestrial cable as well.

While I definitely see the desire for him to take on terrestrial cable as well, it's way too infrastructure heavy to implement in a field he doesn't have the means to handle currently. Unless he just buys in to the current infrastructure like every other ISP, but then he's stuck playing by their rules and not vertically integrated like all of his other companies.

The really crazy thing about Starlink when you think about it from an infrastructure standpoint - He has a manufacturing facility pumping out satellites, a rocket launch facility managing the implementation, and a customer service team. That's it. Compare that to the personnel and logistics required for terrestrial cable, and the vast difference in overhead between business models is insane.
Yeah I don't see him actually doing it, definitely wishful thinking. On the other hand, never thought he'd seriously purchase Twitter either. It's not like he doesn't have the means to buy his way into a takeover of any of the major ISPs.

You sure it ain't the router? 260MB is direct to the router via a cat cable. From far away over wifi I get about 100 MB. Next to the router tops out around 160MB. I don't think their router has the best WIFI radio in the world. Maybe use a different one or a repeater?

Also my wife's laptop is a POS and drops WIFI because the Realtek Windows WIFI radio driver is crap on a stick. It drops streaming video, especially Discovery+. Everything else will be working fine and that thing will just crap right out and reset the radio connection. I replaced the WIFI chip inside with another "better" new one from Lenovo, but it is still crap and still made by RealTek. Every other machine I have works fine with the stock StarLink router.

You sure it ain't the router? 260MB is direct to the router via a cat cable. From far away over wifi I get about 100 MB. Next to the router tops out around 160MB. I don't think their router has the best WIFI radio in the world. Maybe use a different one or a repeater?

Also my wife's laptop is a POS and drops WIFI because the Realtek Windows WIFI radio driver is crap on a stick. It drops streaming video, especially Discovery+. Everything else will be working fine and that thing will just crap right out and reset the radio connection. I replaced the WIFI chip inside with another "better" new one from Lenovo, but it is still crap and still made by RealTek. Every other machine I have works fine with the stock StarLink router.
It's the router/modem from GCI.

Get the WiFi card with the Intel chip. Realtek sucks

so it seems like since he launched the marine version a couple weeks ago, my rv setup doesnt work on the boat anymore. guess ill see if its worth doing starlink compared to fleet1.
but since anything with the word marine in it costs 10 times more, im not sure what the pricing is compared to fleet 1 and if its unlimited data or pay per use as seems to be the standard in marine internet. unless u got 10+ k to throw at a monthly unlimited plan.
ill do some more digging on pricing.

Still not sure why my brother in Mississippi can't get it. My guess is there is a wait for ground hardware.
They only sell service if they have capacity in the area. The closer to the equator the farther apart the sats are. As they add sats they add capacity. He can get the RV service but its more expensive and is deprioritized. If he has no other options it might be worth looking into.
so it seems like since he launched the marine version a couple weeks ago, my rv setup doesnt work on the boat anymore. guess ill see if its worth doing starlink compared to fleet1.
but since anything with the word marine in it costs 10 times more, im not sure what the pricing is compared to fleet 1 and if its unlimited data or pay per use as seems to be the standard in marine internet. unless u got 10+ k to throw at a monthly unlimited plan.
ill do some more digging on pricing.
I think its 5k for hardware and 5k per month for the marine version.

im assuming thats usd so yeah bassicly the same pricing as everyone else is offering. little much for our operation, especially since the price of fuel is fucking retarded this year too and the fish buying cartel is up to their price fixing ways as well. first 3 boats got 4.50 a lbs then all the companies dropped it by a buck immediately for the rest of us

Still not sure why my brother in Mississippi can't get it. My guess is there is a wait for ground hardware.
Hmm you made me curious so I just checked out their availability map, yeah the whole easy coast looks pretty saturated currently. I haven't seen the details to know what the cause is though between limited hardware and connection saturation

Starlink

Light blue is available, dark blue is waitlist

Starlink Map - 8-1-22.png

last week at the black hat conference a hacked user terminal was demonstrated.

they glitched the CPU and it ran unsigned code.
here's the black hat presentation for those inclined to read the technical details.
I'm certainly no software expert, but I read through the powerpoint and it seems to me that means for "normal" consumers this hack is a non-issue? It appears to be something that can only be done with hardware, and Starlink was receptive to the idea their shit can be vulnerable (which would indicate that they aren't ignoring problems and want to fix them). Did I take the proper lesson from this, or as a Starlink user do I have reason to be concerned?

I'm certainly no software expert, but I read through the powerpoint and it seems to me that means for "normal" consumers this hack is a non-issue? It appears to be something that can only be done with hardware, and Starlink was receptive to the idea their shit can be vulnerable (which would indicate that they aren't ignoring problems and want to fix them). Did I take the proper lesson from this, or as a Starlink user do I have reason to be concerned?
If you see someone on your roof with a laptop, lots of cables and a soldering iron you should be worried.

This is nothing more than a local access to the core of the unit. "Hack" does not mean bad, hacking can be anything down to reprogramming something to work better. Its used for any time you gain access to some part of a system the manufacturer does want you to.

This was nothing more than a "Where there's a way, there's a will". Sure they could have uncovered some massive vulnerability or a way to get more. There were old carrier provided modems that could be hacked or reflashed to allow faster bandwidth than what you were sold. In this case all they did was get in and look around

by all accounts starlink was responsive to the vulnerability and made it more difficult to perform.

it was just an educational experiment, but someone could probably use the same vector to do bad things if they really tried. It potentially allows someone to use the starlink equipment to send malicious shit to the satellite, gain access to the "local" network of the satellites or attack other user terminals on the network.

nothing's perfect and this is why bug bounties exist.

I just posted this in the Starship thread but think it's worthy of posting here as well too (copy and paste of my other response):

Well holy shit. Starlink V2s (big units, designed to be launched on Starship) are going to become cell towers using T-mobiles frequencies with an additional set of hardware on the satellites. Your average nothing-special phone will be able to connect straight through them with no other fancy receivers. T-mobile plans to offer it on their most popular plans for free (but it will be an add on for the cheapest plans), and plan/hope to start rolling out at least texting and email etc next year. While these will never be super high bandwidth connections, they completely eliminate dead spots. They also plan to offer it to other carriers for roaming data as needed, and want to work with international companies for global coverage.

This will be an absolute game changer for emergencies. Whether you're a back country explorer, or a natural disaster wiped out the local cell infrastructure, anyone who has a phone will still be connected

----------------------------

It was announced live just a few minutes ago by Elon and the CEO of T Mobile, down in Starbase

How "bad" is the latency on it? How big of an impact is rain and snow?

I just wrapped up a contract for business fiber and was hoping to find something a bit cheaper but reliable/responsive. I'm not too worried on overall speed.

How "bad" is the latency on it? How big of an impact is rain and snow?

I just wrapped up a contract for business fiber and was hoping to find something a bit cheaper but reliable/responsive. I'm not too worried on overall speed.
I don't have a number on the latency, but it is damn near not noticeable under normal conditions. ETA, I just checked and currently it’s 53ms. I have found in heavy rain and snow mine will have issues connecting.

Last edited:
My internet is around 20mbps. And the latency test came back at 257ms.
No idea if that's good or bad. Costs me about $120/month.

Question for those on Starlink and have noticed: How often does your IP Address change?

The reason I ask is I am on "roaming" at the moment (I have it set up at my office, when it supposed to be installed where my house is being built about 30 miles away) and my IP Address changes daily. It normally wouldn't even be an issue, but I work from home and have to update Azure whitelists for anywhere between 3 and 12 Azure resources (depending on what I am doing that day) every time the IP address changes.

We hope to moveing within a couple years and the area we are moving to has crap internet. My wife works from home so we need a solution. There is a waiting list for the area we are moving to but I can buy a r.v. version for our current location. Will it keep working if we move it? Being an r.v. version you would think it would work wherever you take it, is that true? We could get on the list but then I can't use it here while we wait.

I just posted this in the Starship thread but think it's worthy of posting here as well too (copy and paste of my other response):

Well holy shit. Starlink V2s (big units, designed to be launched on Starship) are going to become cell towers using T-mobiles frequencies with an additional set of hardware on the satellites. Your average nothing-special phone will be able to connect straight through them with no other fancy receivers. T-mobile plans to offer it on their most popular plans for free (but it will be an add on for the cheapest plans), and plan/hope to start rolling out at least texting and email etc next year. While these will never be super high bandwidth connections, they completely eliminate dead spots. They also plan to offer it to other carriers for roaming data as needed, and want to work with international companies for global coverage.

This will be an absolute game changer for emergencies. Whether you're a back country explorer, or a natural disaster wiped out the local cell infrastructure, anyone who has a phone will still be connected

It was announced live just a few minutes ago by Elon and the CEO of T Mobile, down in Starbase

I have been telling everyone that this was going to be the next step. Satellite phone capability but at a regular phone price point. This will be great for lots of people.

Question for those on Starlink and have noticed: How often does your IP Address change?

The reason I ask is I am on "roaming" at the moment (I have it set up at my office, when it supposed to be installed where my house is being built about 30 miles away) and my IP Address changes daily. It normally wouldn't even be an issue, but I work from home and have to update Azure whitelists for anywhere between 3 and 12 Azure resources (depending on what I am doing that day) every time the IP address changes.
shouldn't you be going through a VPN to make this a non-issue?

shouldn't you be going through a VPN to make this a non-issue?
ZScalar. Not sure of the details, but it works different than any VPN I've used in the past.

I do software development; that networking voodoo is something I've never learned more than I had to, to do my job or setup my home network.

Holy shit, this is yet another game changer.

I'm considering changing my 8 lines away from AT&T to tmobile.

Top Back Refresh