What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

Why is Dish still in business anyway? How many 75+ year old boomers are there that still watch cable networks instead of streaming?

We got ours via Fed Ex yesterday.

Did not read this thread yet though:laughing:

Why is Dish still in business anyway? How many 75+ year old boomers are there that still watch cable networks instead of streaming?
Because until Starlink, about 70% of the land area in the US had zero options beside Dish. This will kill dish if they don't adapt.

I got mine a couple weeks ago. Its a game changer.

I can affirm that 260 MB down over starlink is a hell of a lot better than 3.7 MB down over the microwave I used to use.

Because until Starlink, about 70% of the land area in the US had zero options beside Dish. This will kill dish if they don't adapt.

I got mine a couple weeks ago. Its a game changer.
If they don't adapt, or hamstring the competition to survive. Gotta love when their business survival model is less interested in supporting the unserved/underserved customers, and trying to make sure other services can't either.

Check out the highlights here from SpaceX's response linked above. They're on the offensive and fully calling out Dish's BS:

And for comparison along with clarity that SpaceX isn't trying to "hog" these useable ranges but trying to operate in parallel with other useful services in the big picture of getting more service to more customers - this BS from Dish came only a week or two after SpaceX and OneWeb approached the FCC after private discussions saying they've reached an understanding to operate their systems without conflicting with each other. Now THAT is the way this stuff should happen.

Let's put our thinking cap on here for a second and ponder the question of why people may still have TV service... Hint: we're discussing a service that promises to bring high speed internet to the huge amount of people that don't have access to any...

And also, we still have dtv. I find streaming tedious at times. The more services you have the worse it gets. It sure would be nice if they'd all come together to form one service I could pay a single bill for... Err, wait.

I watch probably 50/50 streaming/dtv.

Let's put our thinking cap on here for a second and ponder the question of why people may still have TV service... Hint: we're discussing a service that promises to bring high speed internet to the huge amount of people that don't have access to any...

And also, we still have dtv. I find streaming tedious at times. The more services you have the worse it gets. It sure would be nice if they'd all come together to form one service I could pay a single bill for... Err, wait.

I watch probably 50/50 streaming/dtv.
Same here.

We were excited to have streaming, now after having it for a few months we are not huge fans.

I watch TV for about 2 hours a night, on streaming I spend most of that time looking for something to watch and the rest of the time watching the first 10-15 mins of a horrible move that I turn off, rinse and repeat.

I watch TV for about 2 hours a night, on streaming I spend most of that time looking for something to watch and the rest of the time watching the first 10-15 mins of a horrible move that I turn off, rinse and repeat.
Same. I like to be able to turn something on for background noise with no other effort required.

Samsung tv has a shit ton of channels that are free if you program them in, anything from MAVTV to music vids and even a bob ross channel.

You can just run your antenna to a different input on your TV. If you have a "smart" TV, it would probably be the only thing plugged in as you can just put most streaming apps straight on the TV itself.

I have a "dumb" TV, so I grabbed one of those $40-$50 Roku sticks to turn it into a smart TV, and just run the streaming services from there. Roku also has live TV with a pretty standard TV guide so you guys that still want to just flip through channels absolutely can, even though you're still streaming.

I finally cancelled my actual cable TV service last year and have no regrets

Love to see Elon get into cable or fiber internet and give Comcast some actual competition. Satellite is cool for remote areas, but it generally sucks dick as far as a real internet connection goes.

Love to see Elon get into cable or fiber internet and give Comcast some actual competition. Satellite is cool for remote areas, but it generally sucks dick as far as a real internet connection goes.

While it would be cool, not sure you're gunna see that. Their stated purpose has never been to bring competition to areas with fiber etc, just bring the rest of the world up to speed. Even once the full constellation is in service, Starlink won't be able to support the full population density of metro areas.

But it should be fast/reliable enough for gaming, and downloading anything that most consumers want, with worldwide coverage (even the arctic and antarctic once they put their shell of polar Starlinks into orbit)

ive seen 150mbps and my ping is between 20 and 80 usually around 50.

During peak usage times its usually around 25mbps

I haven't had time to game on it yet but I hear it works fine. No reason it shouldn't.

ive seen 150mbps and my ping is between 20 and 80 usually around 50.

During peak usage times its usually around 25mbps

I haven't had time to game on it yet but I hear it works fine. No reason it shouldn't.
Solid, but nowhere near gigabit+ speeds you can get on cable and fiber. Playing games isn't a problem, but I definitely don't want to go back to 100 mbps speeds when games are regularly several hundred gigs with massive regular updates.

Bigger issue is competition though. Comcast has a complete monopoly in large parts of the country and flat out fucking suck. Nevermind how much they spend on lobbyists to ensure FCC regulation favors them and kills competition. It's retarded that most major metro areas in this country only have one provide with shitty datacapped tier pricing.

tell me you haven't studied the starlink model, without telling me you haven't studied their model :flipoff2:

edit:

Solid, but nowhere near gigabit+ speeds you can get on cable and fiber. Playing games isn't a problem, but I definitely don't want to go back to 100 mbps speeds when games are regularly several hundred gigs with massive regular updates.

Bigger issue is competition though. Comcast has a complete monopoly in large parts of the country and flat out fucking suck. Nevermind how much they spend on lobbyists to ensure FCC regulation favors them and kills competition. It's retarded that most major metro areas in this country only have one provide with shitty datacapped tier pricing.

Most of the people who are using starlink don't have an option for cable or fiber. 25Mbps is plenty for their use case. Tech will only improve, and their speeds will only increase.

Starlink is designed for areas without conventional connectivity…as in rural areas, not the suburbs…

Probably all of them? I don't know any boomers that stream. I'm solid gen x, and still have DirecTV. Two TVs at my house, one at the new property, one at the deer lease, and one at my brother's place in OK. 4 locations, one bill.

tell me you haven't studied the starlink model, without telling me you haven't studied their model :flipoff2:

Most of the people who are using starlink don't have an option for cable or fiber. 25Mbps is plenty for their use case. Tech will only improve, and their speeds will only increase.
My point was never the comparison. I'm just saying I wish Musk would branch into fixed broadband while he's branching out into other parts of tech and taking on shitty corporate business practices.

edit:

for the 20ish years the internet has been around, I had dial up for about 10 of them super unreliable wisp service for 5 and a fairly stable wisp that was capped at 3mbps for the rest.

I’ll gladly take a 50X speed increase for roughly the same cost.

You're confusing the entire point of it. It is not and was never meant to compete with markets that have cable or fiber available to them.

Top Back Refresh