What's new

Anyone running Starlink internet yet?

Didn't I read in the conversation here that Starlink does not work with other brand Mesh Routers?

I haven't followed that close, perhaps it is due to having to buy that adapter to get an ethernet port out of their router?

you are using it with starlink?
Yes, the starlink router that comes with the kit has an ethernet plug on the back. I used that to power the Deco system. Yes there is a starlink wifi network and the new Deco network but doesnt bother anything. Was a cheap and effective way to get strong wifi on my 1 acre

Yes, the starlink router that comes with the kit has an ethernet plug on the back. I used that to power the Deco system. Yes there is a starlink wifi network and the new Deco network but doesnt bother anything. Was a cheap and effective way to get strong wifi on my 1 acre
Do you have the OG round Starlink dish? The newer rectangular one comes with a router that requires an adaptor.
Ethernet_3_1100x620.png

Link

They just launched 53 more satellites today, with 2 more launches coming up in the next week. So hopefully you folks on the wait list will be getting the email soon.

When I log onto the Starlink site it says my area is full and I'm shit out of luck until sometime in '23. I hope more satellites means I may not to have to wait for another year or more.

Do you have the OG round Starlink dish? The newer rectangular one comes with a router that requires an adaptor.
Ethernet_3_1100x620.png

Link
I received the round dish. You run the disc cable into the power adapter and then their cable from adapter to their router. There is a rubber plug in the back of the router that hides a standard ethernet plug

I received the round dish. You run the disc cable into the power adapter and then their cable from adapter to their router. There is a rubber plug in the back of the router that hides a standard ethernet plug
Square dish needs the adapter.

I’m running an Asus router with a bunch of ASUS Lyra mesh nodes on mine. But I’ve got the OG round dishy So I didn’t need an adapter and don’t use the Starlink router at all

I keep checking my junk email to make sure it didn’t get sent there.

Nothing yet.

All you people are making me jealous.
Been on the list since Feb 21’

Website says mid 22’.

I was asking because Crispy has the newer on that requires an adaptor and was asking for advice. Didn't want to confuse him since he already said he was a mesh wi-fi novice.

^^ This, I even provided a link. It’s $25 bucks. Starlink mesh routers are still in Beta and not listed on their site yet. You can then go to Amazon, BB, or wherever and buy your set up. Just Google mesh Wi-Fi or mesh network to get some info. Someone earlier posted their brand suggestion. This is just one example. Mesh.
I have no ex with TP link, just posting the first one that showed up on a search.

Yes I ordered the adapter, I wasn't following this thread super close and thought the adapter was for the old Starlink.

I'll order a mesh setup next, am installing the Blink cameras all over my property so the mesh will help with that.

This showed up today. Just slapped it together and threw it on the ground near the house. Made me nervous because it took about 45 minutes to register and start tracking.

Preliminary speed results are confusing. The app tests 3 things - phone to router, router to internet and phone to internet. Router to internet and phone to router are both in the 100mbps range but phone to router hangs around 10-12 or less. Need to do some more experimenting and really can't fully set up until they ship the adapter, which will hopefully be within the next few days.

1652231566870.png

This showed up today. Just slapped it together and threw it on the ground near the house. Made me nervous because it took about 45 minutes to register and start tracking.

Preliminary speed results are confusing. The app tests 3 things - phone to router, router to internet and phone to internet. Router to internet and phone to router are both in the 100mbps range but phone to router hangs around 10-12 or less. Need to do some more experimenting and really can't fully set up until they ship the adapter, which will hopefully be within the next few days.

Did you try running speedtest.net?

I haven't made it to wife's office yet to install but she tossed the dishy on the ground right next to the bldg and reported 20 down, 1 up speedtest results. (i'm sure there's bldg interference and don't have a ton of faith in her ability to use the app/ follow setup instructions.)

Another point worth mentioning is it usually takes a while for dishy to acclimate and download the latest firmware. You will typically see better results the following day after it’s had time to settle in a bit so to speak.

Still getting mixed results this morning, but getting better. Also got an e-mail that my LAN adapter has shipped. Should be here Monday so I think that will fix a lot when I can get my own network gear and APs in the mix. The bottleneck is most likely my phone and/or their AP.

1652271919305.png
1652271940359.png

1652271952659.png
1652271964894.png

1652271974210.png

One of the issues may be that I'm using a service address that's about 20 miles away from my actual location. From what I'm reading, the dish will effectively geolock to the cell at your service address and try to point to the satellites serving that cell, which will kill speed and increase latency.

I just enabled "portability" in my account and rebooted and it did seem like the dish re-angled to point at satellites more overhead and the speeds seemed to improve. I only have a day left until my billing cycle starts and then I'll have to pay an extra $25/mo for portability. I'll probably shut it off and see how it acts for a week or two and go from there.

Anyone have recommendations for a cable pass-through product for an exterior wall? Starlink sells one for $24, but I don't really like the look of it and you're mostly paying for the drill bits and fish line that it comes with.
1652272865090.png

I'd like to get something that will do a few cables - the starlink cable and a couple CAT5 cables for my APs and nanastations.

Open the box and dishy has a big ol hole right in the back of it. 😣

GAWDAMNIT. Now I have to figure out how to return/replace this thing.:mad3:
IMG_20220514_091631_760.jpg
IMG_20220514_091621_022.jpg

Still getting mixed results this morning, but getting better. Also got an e-mail that my LAN adapter has shipped. Should be here Monday so I think that will fix a lot when I can get my own network gear and APs in the mix. The bottleneck is most likely my phone and/or their AP.

One of the issues may be that I'm using a service address that's about 20 miles away from my actual location. From what I'm reading, the dish will effectively geolock to the cell at your service address and try to point to the satellites serving that cell, which will kill speed and increase latency.

I just enabled "portability" in my account and rebooted and it did seem like the dish re-angled to point at satellites more overhead and the speeds seemed to improve. I only have a day left until my billing cycle starts and then I'll have to pay an extra $25/mo for portability. I'll probably shut it off and see how it acts for a week or two and go from there.

When you signed up for it did you use a Google address like they state? Using a phone, drop a pin on your location and you get a weird +YKXX number. Thats what you use for rural.

I am a few months in to our service now and could not be happier. Once I figured out that the littlest bit of obstruction can cause a major problem (we had a small red piece in the obstruction viewer due to a pine tree top), we moved it into wide open and have had excellent service. Hardly any drops other than big ones that I believe is them doing some network changes, sat orientation, etc. We game on Warzone, Apex Legends, etc absolutely no problem while watching Netflix and some people may be on phones at same time.

Open the box and dishy has a big ol hole right in the back of it. 😣

GAWDAMNIT. Now I have to figure out how to return/replace this thing.:mad3:

Thursday:

Thank you for reaching out to Starlink regarding your issue with your kit! Sorry for the issue with shipment, we went ahead and issued a return shipping label to your email on file so that we could receive the damaged one back. We also created a order for a new Starlink kit (ORD-4291344-98790-55) to be sent out to you for no charge. At this time we have gone ahead and issued a one month service credit taking effect for next month's invoice since your current invoice has already generated. You will receive an email as soon as your order is shipped.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out. Our Team is always here to assist you.

-Starlink Support

Today:

Scheduled delivery date
Monday, 05/23/2022 by end of day

:smokin:

I just got mine on Saturday. Hooked it up on Sunday afternoon and now have internet that is at least 6 times faster than what I had. I'll be getting rid of Sky Mobile (which was really inconsistent between 0mbps - 5mbps, but "unlimited") and one of the two Verizon hotspots (~10mbps but limited to 250gb/month combined for both hot spots). I'll keep one Verizon hotspot as a backup but drop it to 50gb/month. I ran all of the household electronics (TV's, kids' devices) off of the Sky Mobile and I had one hotspot (150gb/month) for my work computer, and my wife had the other (100gb/month) for hers. I used, on average, about 120gb / month; lowest was ~80, a couple of months I had used up the 150 and was on Sky Mobile for the last couple of days.

Between Sky Mobile and the two hotspots, my internet was over $300/month; now it will be much lower and way, way faster.

I just got mine on Saturday. Hooked it up on Sunday afternoon and now have internet that is at least 6 times faster than what I had. I'll be getting rid of Sky Mobile (which was really inconsistent between 0mbps - 5mbps, but "unlimited") and one of the two Verizon hotspots (~10mbps but limited to 250gb/month combined for both hot spots). I'll keep one Verizon hotspot as a backup but drop it to 50gb/month. I ran all of the household electronics (TV's, kids' devices) off of the Sky Mobile and I had one hotspot (150gb/month) for my work computer, and my wife had the other (100gb/month) for hers. I used, on average, about 120gb / month; lowest was ~80, a couple of months I had used up the 150 and was on Sky Mobile for the last couple of days.

Between Sky Mobile and the two hotspots, my internet was over $300/month; now it will be much lower and way, way faster.

I'm going the opposite way. I'm not as impressed with starlink as I want to be. I'm going to stick with my LTE setup and add a bit of hardware to get past their video throttling.

Other than the video, I'm seeing better speeds on 4g.

But for people that don't have a terrestrial option, I can totally see starlink kicking ass.

Top Back Refresh