What's new

Alone

previous seasons were last man or woman standing wins and I don't think they ever went to 100 days. this season is a100 day challenge which I don't recall they fully explained but it has become clear that there is no winner unless they make it 100 days. what happens at 100 days if there are more than 1 left, I don't know - do they keep going til there is only 1? do they share the prize?

Some people have never spent time in the woods alone, I’m speculating it wasn’t the lot fire starter that caused him to bail. 100 days alone would be tough for most people. To be honest I don’t know if I could do a week or two alone. I like hunting solo, but always have a camp to return to.

Now throw in a hot woman and :grinpimp:

I have done 10 says alone 2 times. For me at about 10 days I realize that if I am going to continue to be able to interact with people I should not be away from them for much longer than that. The hardest day is always coming back to the chaos that is society. Now that I live in the woods I barely camp at all. Ironic...

I did 6 days alone one time. The wife and kids went out of town. It was glorious. Lots of TV and pizza.

I do 4-7 days on the road at a time on the motorcycle once or twice a year. Fantastic reset button.

Well, I was wrong, the marine tapped out.

Only 4 left at not quite the halfway point. Will be interesting to see if anyone makes it. Maybe the dude who killed the musk ox?

Wait, a dude killed a musk ox? Neat. I didn't know they could hunt animals of that caliber. The seasons I watched, a deer showed up but they couldn't hunt it.

So uh, I cannot get down to 10. I want all 11 of these. I see the Jerky as... I had 3 bad hunting/fishing days in a row and need the energy to keep hunting/fishing. Bic lighter is good for 1000 lights or something. need paracord to use the tarps. Good sleep is vital to good days... I can justify all 11 items pretty good. Maybe let the canteen go and just boil water 2x a day, cool it and drink it all?
  1. Multitool
  2. Sleeping Bag
  3. Hammock
  4. Bic Disposable Lighter
  5. Hatchet
  6. 550 Paracord (60 feet)
  7. Cooking Pot with Lid (2-quart max)
  8. Canteen / Water Bottle
  9. Fishing Gear (300 “total yards” of fishing line with 25 assorted hooks)
  10. Sling Shot
  11. 5 pounds Beef Jerky

hammock and slingshot are dumb.
hammocks suck to sleep in, and are cold.
sling shot is largely a waste of time for hunting with.

And alone isn't riding a motorcycle through civilization, or sitting at home without the wife and kid.

Alone in the bush is totally different. After 4 or 5 days you really get into your own head, and start reliving every thing you've done. Replay breakups, fights with the wife, all the coulda shoulda woulda moments of your life.

Last edited:
I have done 10 says alone 2 times. For me at about 10 days I realize that if I am going to continue to be able to interact with people I should not be away from them for much longer than that. The hardest day is always coming back to the chaos that is society. Now that I live in the woods I barely camp at all. Ironic...

Interesting. Do you think it was healthy/good for you?

Interesting. Do you think it was healthy/good for you?

I won't speak on his behalf, but my experiences are that multiple days alone away from others I think is someone every person should do at least once a year.

Wait, a dude killed a musk ox? Neat. I didn't know they could hunt animals of that caliber. The seasons I watched, a deer showed up but they couldn't hunt it.

Yep, bad shot with an arrow at first. Then as the thing was slowly bleeding out he would run up to it, stab it and run away. Showed him having to stab it quite a few times before it gave up. Dude who killed it is set up to make the 100 days. His shelter and meat storage is legit. Hopefully he can keep his head straight.

hammock and slingshot are dumb.
hammocks suck to sleep in, and are cold.
sling shot is largely a waste of time for hunting with.

And alone isn't riding a motorcycle through civilization, or sitting at home without the wife and kid.

Alone in the bush is totally different. After 4 or 5 days you really get into your own head, and start reliving every thing you've done. Replay breakups, fights with the wife, all the coulda shoulda woulda moments of your life.

Agree on the hammock but I do like the off the ground part personally. Completely disagree on the sling shot. I am not that proficient any more but can still hit a 6” circle at about 20 yards well over 50% of the time. When I shot it often I was north of 90% and on a 2” circle. I love the fact they are quiet. I use mine to kill mice around the fire when I go camping, used to go :( , after everyone else had gone to bed. A lot quieter than a .22 or pellet gun. A good buddy hunts tree rats with them and rarely if ever misses. Its all about practice, a rifle is my personal choice for harvesting meat but if I put my rifle in the hands of someone who doest know how to use it they might as well hunt with a club.

they have to follow regulations, i'd imagine they are allowed 1 of each variety of big game up there. they'd probably be fined heavily if they took 2 moose.

somebody mentioned it is 100 days + last one standing to actually win, so I hope somebody makes it.

Agree on the hammock but I do like the off the ground part personally. Completely disagree on the sling shot. I am not that proficient any more but can still hit a 6” circle at about 20 yards well over 50% of the time. When I shot it often I was north of 90% and on a 2” circle. I love the fact they are quiet. I use mine to kill mice around the fire when I go camping, used to go :( , after everyone else had gone to bed. A lot quieter than a .22 or pellet gun. A good buddy hunts tree rats with them and rarely if ever misses. Its all about practice, a rifle is my personal choice for harvesting meat but if I put my rifle in the hands of someone who doest know how to use it they might as well hunt with a club.

oh yeah accuracy is no problem. But your average slingshot has no jam, it's barely enough to slow down a Ptarmigan or rabbit at 20'. I somehow doubt they are handing over a bad ass high zoot hunting grade slingshot.

oh yeah accuracy is no problem. But your average slingshot has no jam, it's barely enough to slow down a Ptarmigan or rabbit at 20'. I somehow doubt they are handing over a bad ass high zoot hunting grade slingshot.

Thats a fair point. Just as a tip have you tried attaching a bottle cap to a sling shot and then filling it with #12 shot? You can do a decent job picking off small game in the air if it's close. Basically a mini shotgun. But you need something other than super thin “surgical” band to get the velocity. I found a while ago some super heavy duty band material. It would hold up to me using it for a few years before letting go and shit got to the target a lot faster. Now I can’t find it cheap anymore. I knew I should have bought a 1000’ when I had the chance.

Last edited:
Thats a fair point. Just as a tip have you tried attaching a bottle cap to a sling shot and then filling it with #12 shot? You can do a decent job picking off small game in the air if it's close. Basically a mini shotgun. But you need something other than super thin “surgical” band to get the velocity. I found a while ago some super heavy duty band material. It would hold up to me using it for a few years before letting go and shit got to the target a lot faster. Now I can’t find it cheap anymore. I knew I should have bought a 1000’ when I had the chance.

Nah, I gave my slingshot away, bought a chiappa little badger instead. I found a website when I still had it, that had a bunch of high powered bands for sale.

watched this weeks show, Its always the kids that make them tap.
I think that one chick has no baggage she should be able to do it or the Ox dude

dude was 40 days in and didn't finish his shelter, that was a major fail.

I hope Amos wins. How can you not love a guy who played the rules and brought the biggest pair of “extra” underwear he could find so he could use it for other stuff? Genius.

I hope Amos wins. How can you not love a guy who played the rules and brought the biggest pair of “extra” underwear he could find so he could use it for other stuff? Genius.

i hope it is just fancy editing, but everytime they do the night shot of the burning hut, it sounds like he is the one say "oh no" or something. i really hope he doesn't burn down 🤣

the 4 that are left are all solid. the wife things it will be the dude with the ox and the chick who built a house on the cliff at first. whoever starves to death second between them

My list with my reasoning:

Knife - I need to cut stuff
Bow Saw or Pruning Saw - safer than an axe once I start to get fatigued
Sleeping Bag - got to sleep, can build bedding with ground litter
550 Paracord (60 feet) - I would look to use natural items for cordage with this as a backup.
Cooking Pot with Lid (2-quart max) - all food and water needs to be handled correctly
3.5 pounds small gauge wire - low energy consumption to get food
Gill Net (5′ x 30′) - low energy consumption to get food
Fishing Gear (300 “total yards” of fishing line with 25 assorted hooks) - I love to fish and this would be a great way to keep my mind busy
Ferro Rod/Flint and Bic Disposable Lighter - need easy fire, less energy and I have a backup

I have spent a month in the arctic camping a few times, but with others and about 20 lbs in food. Would build a smoker to preserve fish and meat.

While I have been hunting with a recurve for over 30 years, to much of a gamble that I would get something large (trapping with wire and gill net way easier). I would build a bow and arrows as a means to keep my mind busy.

Just watched the latest episode. I'm digging the show. The chick crying over catching 2 fish was a bit much, but if I was in that situation I'd probably do the same after catching some much needed food. Sneak preview of next week shows someones shelter on fire. Rolands? If so he may be done.

Just watched the latest episode. I'm digging the show. The chick crying over catching 2 fish was a bit much, but if I was in that situation I'd probably do the same after catching some much needed food. Sneak preview of next week shows someones shelter on fire. Rolands? If so he may be done.

Roland’s walls are rock. Guessing it’s Amos. Sucks no matter who it is.

Watched last night

Amos's idea of yelling makes me laugh, it like he is afraid to make wolves angry!
Since was a guy and Rolands wall were rock I am pretty sure it was his shelter going up.

Chick with the fish was unreal
Roland is something else carving the musk ox head for the fat, and then stating he didn't want to spook the heard for fear they would go to another contestants area and give them a chance to shoot one.
I think it is going to come down to fish chick or Roland

Watched last night

Amos's idea of yelling makes me laugh, it like he is afraid to make wolves angry!
Since was a guy and Rolands wall were rock I am pretty sure it was his shelter going up.

Chick with the fish was unreal
Roland is something else carving the musk ox head for the fat, and then stating he didn't want to spook the heard for fear they would go to another contestants area and give them a chance to shoot one.
I think it is going to come down to fish chick or Roland

I took it the other way with his interview comment, I think he was more concerned that he would spook the herd and they would be liable to trample the region for whoever was in the next area over.

letting them wander gives a much easier chance of the next person finding a lone wanderer.

it's only day 50 and there are only a couple more episodes left if they stick with the similar 10is episode format. I hope somebody makes it to day 100 at this point.

from past reading I was under the impression that bone marrow was very high fat but haven't caught a single mention of Roland cracking those bones open, or for that matter any of the rabbit eaters trying to get any marrow out of the rabbit bones. they shouldn't need to by this point though. That lake has great fatty fish and they can be caught. One thing that this show has reinforced for me over the years of watching it, is that humans get very unmotivated when the hunger is sated. they catch a rabbit or two, or a couple of fish and they head back to camp, get a full belly and start whittling some useless trinket. IMHO they should be using the energy from that meal to go out and get more food. When you have 3 to 4 weeks of food prepped and stored - then you can whittle yourself silly if you want.

I realize it could just be the editing of the show, and also there is the mental factor that their brains are not firing on all cylinders by this time, but it does seem to be a common theme.

from past reading I was under the impression that bone marrow was very high fat but haven't caught a single mention of Roland cracking those bones open, or for that matter any of the rabbit eaters trying to get any marrow out of the rabbit bones. they shouldn't need to by this point though. That lake has great fatty fish and they can be caught. One thing that this show has reinforced for me over the years of watching it, is that humans get very unmotivated when the hunger is sated. they catch a rabbit or two, or a couple of fish and they head back to camp, get a full belly and start whittling some useless trinket. IMHO they should be using the energy from that meal to go out and get more food. When you have 3 to 4 weeks of food prepped and stored - then you can whittle yourself silly if you want.

I realize it could just be the editing of the show, and also there is the mental factor that their brains are not firing on all cylinders by this time, but it does seem to be a common theme.

Same thing I say to my girlfriend when we watch. They need to hunt for food from sunrise to sunset. Stop sitting at camp making spoons. Even if it's sitting at the shore fishing, keep getting food.

Same thing I say to my girlfriend when we watch. They need to hunt for food from sunrise to sunset. Stop sitting at camp making spoons. Even if it's sitting at the shore fishing, keep getting food.

And not just actively, passive hunting as well. If I was in their situation I would try to be doing at least 2-3 things at once, ie: snaring game, fishing with net and shore lines, and scouting/hunting with a bow...

i think a bunch of it is editing, rabbits don't have bones that are thick enough to really get fatty marrow from like you get from a larger animal. yeah, everything should be boiled in the pot to get as much out of it as possible but there isn't much to a bone and leafy green stew

Top Back Refresh