What's new

Alone

I've said the same since the first episode of the original survivor. If you don't know at least 10 ways to make fire with no tools you don't belong there.

Watched the first one last night, he admited that he has never been very good at making fire by friction. I still don't understand why something as important as your ferial rod you don't wear around neck or at least have a florescent orange lanyard

So uh, I cannot get down to 10. I want all 11 of these. I see the Jerky as... I had 3 bad hunting/fishing days in a row and need the energy to keep hunting/fishing. Bic lighter is good for 1000 lights or something. need paracord to use the tarps. Good sleep is vital to good days... I can justify all 11 items pretty good. Maybe let the canteen go and just boil water 2x a day, cool it and drink it all?
  1. Multitool
  2. Sleeping Bag
  3. Hammock
  4. Bic Disposable Lighter
  5. Hatchet
  6. 550 Paracord (60 feet)
  7. Cooking Pot with Lid (2-quart max)
  8. Canteen / Water Bottle
  9. Fishing Gear (300 “total yards” of fishing line with 25 assorted hooks)
  10. Sling Shot
  11. 5 pounds Beef Jerky

Some of you seem to be confused about this show. This isn't an "I got lost in the woods and have to survive using a sharpie, pocket lint, and a pocket knife" type show. It's a "we're going to send a bunch of you out to fairly equal locations with similar gear and see who can last the longest" show. They've never claimed otherwise.

They are responsible for the contestants. They can't just send them out to die. In addition to medical checks they also have to constantly replace the batteries and memory cards for the cameras,

I have no problems with the medical checks because they're not helping the contestants out. Just checking them, only questioning health, and leaving. Not like other shows where a medical person can intervene and then you get to stay and "survive" even though you'd be dead in real life.

If that's the case, I would win this show hands down. The only problem would be the meds and producers showing up all the time, pestering me. Once every two days? Fuck that, quit bothering me! :flipoff2:

No seriously I don't see 'alone' as an obstacle. You can't bring some books?

I could literally sit out there for 100 days, reciting books and passages I've memorized, reciting speeches, pacing around and talking to myself... no problem.

So uh, I cannot get down to 10. I want all 11 of these. I see the Jerky as... I had 3 bad hunting/fishing days in a row and need the energy to keep hunting/fishing. Bic lighter is good for 1000 lights or something. need paracord to use the tarps. Good sleep is vital to good days... I can justify all 11 items pretty good. Maybe let the canteen go and just boil water 2x a day, cool it and drink it all?
  1. Multitool
  2. Sleeping Bag
  3. Hammock
  5. Hatchet
  10. Sling Shot
  11. 5 pounds Beef Jerky

Hammock equipped with an underquilt? If not, forget that. I spent four days in 75º weather motocamping with a hammock. Froze my ASS off. I understand the physics behind it, but still. 70º+ out and I was shivering all night. Weirdest thing. Following trip I was in a tent and it was 40º. Perfectly comfortable.

Hammock equipped with an underquilt? If not, forget that. I spent four days in 75º weather motocamping with a hammock. Froze my ASS off. I understand the physics behind it, but still. 70º+ out and I was shivering all night. Weirdest thing. Following trip I was in a tent and it was 40º. Perfectly comfortable.

Note the sleeping bag. I was considering that. Thinking, Hammock tightly tucked under the tarp for wind/rain protection.

Note the sleeping bag. I was considering that. Thinking, Hammock tightly tucked under the tarp for wind/rain protection.

The sleeping bag would have to be slung under the hammock on the outside. I was in a 20 degree bag and still froze. But that was inside.

1. Multitool
  2. Sleeping Bag
  3. Hammock
  5. Hatchet
  10. Sling Shot
  11. 5 pounds Beef Jerky

60 ft of 550lb cord is overdone in strength and too short in length. drop that one off and be at 10. pretty simple to make much lighter weight cordage from natural materials.

most people strip out their cord anyways to get 5x the length

This show is awesome. Checked it out on Netflix (only one season, though) thanks to this thread.

If that's the case, I would win this show hands down. The only problem would be the meds and producers showing up all the time, pestering me. Once every two days? Fuck that, quit bothering me! :flipoff2:

No seriously I don't see 'alone' as an obstacle. You can't bring some books?

I could literally sit out there for 100 days, reciting books and passages I've memorized, reciting speeches, pacing around and talking to myself... no problem.

I don’t believe you. Prove it

I am in the middle of season 2. The black dude was pathetic. He gave up instantly then tried cutting a slice of a log to make it look like he tried. Guess he missed having a party cup in his hand.

Then there was the crab thing. The guy with glasses whining and moaning about not catching anything (not really trying) then suddenly decides to fish for crab. They show him with a fishing rod made from a stick then it cuts off and BAM BAM BAM he catches 6 crabs just like that without showing anything.

That one dude had a friggin castle built with all this primitive tech shit to make life easy and he taps out. Da fuck?

I'm still watching it, pretty good season so far. I was a little surprised by some of them and their choice of shelter. I would have put a pretty high priority on having solid shelter to withstand what is known to be coming...

Anybody still watching?
Down to 6

I'm still watching it, pretty good season so far. I was a little surprised by some of them and their choice of shelter. I would have put a pretty high priority on having solid shelter to withstand what is known to be coming...

Still watching. Really surprised they showed the guy stabbing the muskox to death. Horrible hunt. Every damn season someone loses their flint and steal and lights their shelter on fire. Every damn season. I would think shelter would be the first thing you build while you have the energy to do it, not wait a month when you're starving :homer:

Water buffalo dude has it made if he can keep the meat safe., he has a plan will see if it works. Da bears should be hibernating already.
Think they would think the shelter out a bit better, shit just gets dryer and more flammable as time goes on.
season seems to be moving slow, not sure ut editing.

Chick that ran into the moose early and had no bow is a dipshit, learned early on you dont take a piss without the gun.

No one cried killing a rabbit yet.

Water buffalo dude has it made if he can keep the meat safe., he has a plan will see if it works. Da bears should be hibernating already.
Think they would think the shelter out a bit better, shit just gets dryer and more flammable as time goes on.
season seems to be moving slow, not sure ut editing.

Chick that ran into the moose early and had no bow is a dipshit, learned early on you dont take a piss without the gun.

No one cried killing a rabbit yet.

I actually like the way the editing has been done so far. How they would backtrack in each episode to show the contestants that weren’t shown in the previous episode. That way you’re not missing huge chunks of each contestant’s time. I’m assuming the timeline will speed up as contestants start tapping out.

Finally caught up. The guy with the muskox seems to show the most abilty to think and plan. He definitely has the sturdess shelter, and rather than trying to kill himself climbing trees to hide his food he built a tight cache on the ground, plus he seems to be a bit more serious about the whole thing.

I'm liking the season so far and I agree musk ox killer is def in the running to win. He just seems to have and use bush sense more than the others, although he sure burned up the calories building that food cache. The ones that def won't make it are the ones that get so excited whenever they get a rabbit or a fish. Jesus Christ it's not like you have to take the kids to soccer, or fix the wheel bearing on your rig - it's getting food. At this point it is almost the only thing you need to do, and when you get some.......Go.Get.Some.More. getting a fish or rabbit should not be an exciting part of your day, it should be a routine part of your day.

Still watching it. I’m curious how many times the Musk ox guy actually shot it. At one point he said he ran out of arrows.

If I was basing who won on the background they film in front of when they’re describing the season, it would be the marine. Dude has a nice gun collection.

Still watching it. I’m curious how many times the Musk ox guy actually shot it. At one point he said he ran out of arrows.

If I was basing who won on the background they film in front of when they’re describing the season, it would be the marine. Dude has a nice gun collection.

except I'm pretty sure he's the guy whose shelter was going up in flames at the end of the last episode.....along with all his supplies.

except I'm pretty sure he's the guy whose shelter was going up in flames at the end of the last episode.....along with all his supplies.

Thought he put it out, but I probably wasn’t paying that close of attention at the end. Either way, he has a nice gun collection. :flipoff2:

If any of the other video is to judge by I believe he only carrying 2, when he was going back out to retreave the carcass he had one on the string and one in his off hand.

Was his the one on fire or the guy whose whole shelter nothing but brush, even if it did the basic walls would still be up.

Last edited:
alright, finally figured out how to watch this season :rasta: for some reason I can't get the history channel app on my TV, so getting some use out of the new computer monitor. Still on the first couple episodes, but this wholly seems to be the absolute best batch of people they've had overall. I personally don't like the 100 day mark thing, though I guess it is 100 days + outlast everybody else to ultimately win. it is a massive shift in the psychology of the game and I think the unknowing was one of the best aspects of it previously, although I guess there has always been some rough end timeline so that 3 people aren't there for years :laughing:

the south African dude is entertaining and I hope Amos at least gets really damn far. him and the dude from AK have about the best 'life story' to be well adapted, considering he claims to have mostly learned his survival shit avoiding death during large scale civil conflict. Different location for sure, but there might not be a better way to get perspective and resolve, especially going into it with a more defined timeline

I actually like the way the editing has been done so far. How they would backtrack in each episode to show the contestants that weren’t shown in the previous episode. That way you’re not missing huge chunks of each contestant’s time. I’m assuming the timeline will speed up as contestants start tapping out.

I still prefer the more chonological order of the first season, though it certainly didn't give as much equal time to the earlier tapout folks. I don't understand the last ~10 minute recaps :confused: is it something that due to the 'rona they didn't want to get everybody together for their final episode/review? it provides a weird break in the flow

I still prefer the more chonological order of the first season, though it certainly didn't give as much equal time to the earlier tapout folks. I don't understand the last ~10 minute recaps :confused: is it something that due to the 'rona they didn't want to get everybody together for their final episode/review? it provides a weird break in the flow

Agree completely, it's an awkward and in my opinion useless part of the show.

Good season, they're roughly 5hrs north of me on the north side of slave lake and that area frequently gets to -40/50. Should make the show more interesting for sure

So how long does it go on for? Is 100 days the minimum to win? Do you just hang out till they come get you?

Top Back Refresh