What's new

All you fuckers living in rusty places

Damn, Arse you really tripping over the Ranger? Those things are rare here in PA.
Yea but, what doesn't in the salt belt? Every time there's comments about the north east its Tacomas don't last. Rangers don't last. S10 don't last. gmt400/800 don't last. F150 don't last. 2nd/3rd gen ram don't last. Nissan? Lol won't make it 6 years.

I've never heard anyone here from that region say "oh yea those are solid".

:laughing:

Growing up in the south west and my limited time in Central NY was quite a shock turning wrenches....

Fuck salt.

Lost a CV axle on my exes Mitzubishi Eclipse. No biggie right? Ordered a new one.

The unit bearing was rusted to the knuckle. Tried heating, tried oil tried a press...finally just torched it off. So, ordered a new unit bearing....ok...
Abs sensor, ya, that wasn't coming off either...sigh...ordered a new one of those.

All, In all a $65 axle costs over $300.

You all north easterners can have it.

Last edited:
raw.gif

I've been to Hazelton.
Prolly too young to visit Paragon? Ima goan with the looney hospital-
th-1081075408.jpg

We still have a fair number of white single cab 2wd fleet trucks which are usually 2.3 + 5spd or auto but it's not like I'm looking under the hood) on the road but they're outnumbered probably 2-1 by ex-cab trucks in various configurations that probably had nicer lives.

Regardless, why would anyone with two brain cells to rub together not just laugh away your opinion in light of the fact that you pride yourself on not having to deal with a cross section of the motoring public? You see more old man trucks because old men and women make up a disproportionate share of your customers and so everything you see skews like that.
Wtf are you talking about?
I don't think anybody except dumb-ass Toyota fanboys thinks that. Everyone's well aware that Rangers are not quite as nice, there's some not great engine/trans options and they have lived much harder lives. But they don't have the glaring fault of rusting out if you look at them funny so the overall value for money is far higher for everyone who doesn't live in the desert.
Rangers rust as bad as anything
Why wouldn't I be? It's a nice well rounded vehicle of it's era with no particularly crippling Achilles heel.

It's the 2001 Honda Accord of mini trucks.
Right down to the junk transmission and severe rust
You see more late 90s and early 00s Rangers than you do that generation of Tacoma. Maybe some of that has to do with sales numbers but I think a lot of it has to do with they're trucks you can't replace cheaply and unlike a Tacoma the whole thing isn't roached the time it comes time to do serious rust repair so people opt to do just that.

I'd say they're right up there with well kept Japanese commuter sedans, 3400/3800 GM cars one of the examples of ~25yo vehicles that's still around in large enough to notice numbers.

That's every leaf sprung pickup, SUV or van though. They all go through a set or two of hangers over their life. I wouldn't hold that against the Tacoma either.

Regardless, I don't really give a shit what you PA people say about rust. I've been to the big junkyard in Hazleton (harrys?) half a dozen times and every time everything has been as good or better than the local yards when it comes to rust. I think you people are all just complain disproportionately.
LOL

You see more late 90s and early 00s Rangers than you do that generation of Tacoma. Maybe some of that has to do with sales numbers but I think a lot of it has to do with they're trucks you can't replace cheaply and unlike a Tacoma the whole thing isn't roached the time it comes time to do serious rust repair so people opt to do just that.
Two factors on that, a late 90s ranger looks the same as a 2011 ranger so a lot of the ones you see in passing are newer than they look. The other factor is the artificial value put on late 90s tacomas by the frame recall. Toyota didn't realize the scope of the frame rust issues and they offered 1.5X kbb excellent value figuring they'd buy back a few hundred trucks. Instead they bought back every single one sold in the northeast, which to their credit they did follow through on instead of reducing their offer. Any owner of a 10 year old rusty truck jumped at the cash. So it wasn't an issue of not worth fixing, it was an offer you couldn't refuse.

So that left only the 01-04 Tacoma log that generation on the road. A 4 year window of that generation vs a 14 year window of ranger clones. Then add in the export market pressure setting the high price floor on rough shape tacomas and the rest of them dissapear to a place where they are worth fixing.

A rusted frame ranger has a $200 value and gets sent through the shredder. A rusted frame Tacoma has a $1500 value and gets shipped to Africa or south america to be repaired.

Yea but, what doesn't in the salt belt? Every time there's comments about the north east its Tacomas don't last. Rangers don't last. S10 don't last. gmt400/800 don't last. F150 don't last. 2nd/3rd gen ram don't last. Nissan? Lol won't make it 6 years.

I've never heard anyone here from that region say "oh yea those are solid".

:laughing:

The problem is every vehicle has it's fault regardless of rust belt or not. If it's a POS platform and it rusts it'll disappear even faster. Rust although it can be terminal is often just a reason to unload something that's a pile. Rust is a product of neglect to a point, it's not a new thing and there's ways to minimize it if you care enough. We see GMT trucks that are mint and we see GMT trucks that are horrible same with everything else.

Reactions: DMG
Prolly too young to visit Paragon? Ima goan with the looney hospital-
No shit. I'm not a fossil. :flipoff2:

Curious how old are you? This may explain a lot, I'm not a fossil but I was at PAP a lot back then. Harrys shreds rust buckets instead of putting them in the yard. Typically they strip high value parts before anything hits the yard.

Wtf are you talking about?
You constantly talk about being proud you don't have to deal with any customer you don't want to and that you don't want to deal in price sensitive customers. Your customer base is gonna skew old and white as a result. You only see grandpa trucks because Pablo takes his elsewhere.

Rangers rust as bad as anything
Except for the handful of vehicles that rust particularly badly, a category the Tacomas we're discussing fit into.
Right down to the junk transmission
I like how you understood and yet willfully ignored the comparison. If you just don't get the SOHC 4.0 or the A4LD it's a great, which is a category most sold fall into. Kind of like how an 00s Accord is great if you don't pair the V6 with the auto.

You gonna retire to Arizona soon? :flipoff2:
and severe rust
Right after you got done admitting that they rust the typical amount.:laughing:

There's some subdivision outside Phoenix that would love to have your type. :flipoff2:

A rusted frame ranger has a $200 value and gets sent through the shredder.
Because the aftermarket still makes stuff because it still deems it worth doing so. Other than big assemblies you're doing the same thing to GMT trucks. Not worth your time to pull specific shit when it's mostly all still available.

A rusted frame Tacoma has a $1500 value and gets shipped to Africa or south america to be repaired.
They didn't sell Toyotas in SA until fairly recently and they sell Hilux's there and in Africa. There's not that much demand there.

See even Steve knows you can easily tell rangers apart by age. :flipoff2:

You constantly talk about being proud you don't have to deal with any customer you don't want to and that you don't want to deal in price sensitive customers. Your customer base is gonna skew old and white as a result. You only see grandpa trucks because Pablo takes his elsewhere.

Except for the handful of vehicles that rust particularly badly, a category the Tacomas we're discussing fit into.

I like how you understood and yet willfully ignored the comparison. If you just don't get the SOHC 4.0 or the A4LD it's a great, which is a category most sold fall into. Kind of like how an 00s Accord is great if you don't pair the V6 with the auto.

You gonna retire to Arizona soon? :flipoff2:

Right after you got done admitting that they rust the typical amount.:laughing:

There's some subdivision outside Phoenix that would love to have your type. :flipoff2:

Because the aftermarket still makes stuff because it still deems it worth doing so. Other than big assemblies you're doing the same thing to GMT trucks. Not worth your time to pull specific shit when it's mostly all still available.

They didn't sell Toyotas in SA until fairly recently and they sell Hilux's there and in Africa. There's not that much demand there.

See even Steve knows you can easily tell rangers apart by age. :flipoff2:

Pablo just bought a new wrangler last year. :flipoff2: we are going wheeling next month. My Hispanic customers have a new Corolla wagon thing, a newish JL and a Chrysler minivan among them.

I get rid of annoying and cheap customers which is a pretty small percentage overall and if you think old white guys are not annoying or cheap, you have been sniffing glue. Most of my customers are younger and include all races. Some old guys too.

You need to get out more. Your big northeastern city life is really rotting your brain.

What you don't understand is the "junk" tacomas are not being parted out. They're being repaired and used whole.

Before the collapse of Venezuela there was a guy who bought every 80s & 90s toyota drivetrain, interior, and underhood part and shipped them down there. So clearly there was a market for the old stuff even then. Now it's a Dominican guy doing the same thing. He's dabbling in suzuki parts too, but anything toyota is the main focus.

The only guys buying ranger parts are trying to scab their own shitbox together, and they're at the level of scavenging brake pads & calipers. Even the market for good running 4.0 sohc is drying up because it's not worth the work of putting an engine in a rusted out heap. The last 3 ttb Rangers & a bronco2 were crushed complete because no one wanted anything.

Arse was telling a guy with a beautiful 71 high boy to steal scrap 1/4 tread tires from scrap bins at tire shop to tow with. Ranchtruck just described him to a T:lmao:

Curious how old are you?
Ima boomer but for some reason Arse had to call me a fossil. All is good. :laughing:
Lotsa rumors that Paragon was bought & would reopen. :yawns:
BTW, I haven't been to Harry's in about 20 yrs-

Ima boomer but for some reason Arse had to call me a fossil. All is good. :laughing:
Lotsa rumors that Paragon was bought & would reopen. :yawns:
BTW, I haven't been to Harry's in about 20 yrs-

I actually meant arse.

I was riding mountain bike in there a few years ago, plenty of people were sneaking in still. We'd ride out from Red Ridge up through PAP2, behind the church and in the back end by Eagle rock. Word is it's open for public use now just non motorized use.

Everything rust up here. Some worse than others.

The boxed frames are the problem. Early jeeps, toyotas, and Nissan ect had this problem. I'm "assuming" the inside of the already thin frame wasn't coated and degrades fast.

The stupid exterior spray on coating every car lot tried did nothing if only made it worse. The replaced frames will rust out in the same time if driven in the salt.

I believe the new tacomas don't have fully boxed frames for this reason. It's an open box c frame.

The rangers had C channel which lasted a touch longer.

Saw this one for sale the other day, mid 2000's F150. Every Toyota with a frame usually looks like this.

429557808_25068572456119875_4937459590647758797_n.jpg

nonono you don't understand
arse has more wisdom than the collective of the market he sees things that the rest of you npcs do not
you prove your ignorance by disagreeing with his pronouncements
someday you will pray to be as enlightened as king arse, he of the shiny tinfoil crown

nonono you don't understand
arse has more wisdom than the collective of the market he sees things that the rest of you npcs do not
you prove your ignorance by disagreeing with his pronouncements
someday you will pray to be as enlightened as king arse, he of the shiny tinfoil crown

Well if you tinker on cars after work and on the weekend you would know more than most shops too:flipoff2:

Saw this one for sale the other day, mid 2000's F150. Every Toyota with a frame usually looks like this.

429557808_25068572456119875_4937459590647758797_n.jpg
That's every jeep TJ and TJU( LJ) in my area too. Replacing a frame under friends LJ right now. I don't think it's the fact of boxed frames it's the fact people are too fucking lazy to flush they're frame out after winters. And those tacos and Jeeps have no drain holes on the areas where the salt builds up.

Ouch! Nice Bronco2's sell for 6-10k out here. Most were crushed for cash for clunkers so they are hard to find.
:flipoff: cash for clunkers!
Saw too many otherwise great vehicles get scrapped during that time. I'd say at least 50% of the ones I saw hit the junkyard were worth more than $4500 fair market value at that time, and with the used market getting flushed of those vehicles were worth double that within 2 years. All so the gimmiedats could use it as 'down payment' on a vehicle to prop up the automakers.
:mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:
I will never get over that shit.

Top Back Refresh