What's new

All you fuckers living in rusty places

20190501_184008.jpg
49 yo truck
Sometime I swear you people can do without houses down there.
My 30 year old trail rig
20220921_163545.jpg
We’ll wear holes through diff cover or center section dumping oil before rust will do any serious damage to rest of it.

Do you rock crawl bro? :flipoff2:

My 98 XJ in 2016 before I start building it into a toy Jeep

and end up DD it for like 2 years, more reliable than my “DD” :shaking:

New floor pans have rust holes already. :homer:

1707601202096.jpeg

1707601219750.jpeg

1707601295833.jpeg

Last edited:
I drove one in similar shape out west and used the body to replace the rollover smashed one on his truck. The frames out there stay mint but body parts are huge money.

Thats the real difference. You can sell near every bolt on a trashed toyota. Only folks that would want a trashed ranger, probly have aerostar parts in their front yard:lmao:
Its a good reason to build an offroad ranger vs a jeep or toyota.
you're going to hurt a lot of feelers with that statement :laughing:
It's one of few remaining small pickups that aren't on the classic radar.

Tacomas, toyotas, 4runners will be in classic car auctions soon

Thats the real difference. You can sell near every bolt on a trashed toyota.
You know how there's a certain plow guy who has a propensity to run his mouth forgetting that everyone in the room has the experience to call bullshit on his bullshit? Well that's what your dumb left coast ass just did. :laughing:

You can sell every bolt on a Toyota for the same reason that junkyards can't keep "100k and it ran when we got it" quality Nissan CVT or Hyundai/Kia 4-banger on the shelf but are tripping over all the Prius CVTs and Honda 4-bangers that nobody needs because they don't blow up.

There are just so few of those trucks left that every part is worth gold to some piece of shit person who'd trying to keep theirs still on the road.

I've bought Lesbaru parts from fucking Latvia. Are you really so stupid as to think I don't understand this dynamic?

Truth hurts
Your life path is more or less predicated on the fact that stupidity hurts far too little. Both for you and your customers.

You're like the driveshaft equivalent of a meathead beat cop. You're just half a step ahead of Deepak the clutch dumping steering wheel holder. It's pretty indicative of where you stand in the world that, much like the meathead cop, the only people who give you a lick of respect are the dumb old boomers who've been indoctrinated with small business worship.

Most of the Rangers I pick up with the loader forks do that too. The only difference is no one wants them before they're fed to the shredder where as the export guys are fighting over the junk Toyotas to ship overseas.
There's 10x as many Rangers still on the road. No need to pick them over because so much shit is still in production. Nobody is picking them clean for the same reason no dismantler is stupid enough to pull and shelve GMT800 headlights.

Tacomas, toyotas, 4runners will be in classic car auctions soon
History repeats itself. Look at what all the worthless boomers who we should have pushed off a cliff wound up driving prices up on.

It wasn't the reliable, practical everyday cars of their generation. It was the high strung status symbol garbage and impractical toys. Heck, they neglected that stuff to the point that when a base model wagon or a compact car of the era turns up it's an event worth mentioning whereas nobody cares about a restored camaro or tri-five with all the options.

You're gonna see the same thing happen all over again. Whatever vehicles have an outside reputation for greatness are going to be the popular shit.

Its a good reason to build an offroad ranger vs a jeep or toyota.
That's what people said about Chevelles when they were hacking them up to put a tree-fiddy in.

What fawking planet are you on? I see first gen and up toyota's running around every day. Been a good while since I even saw a ranger older than 2000
Live in the rust belt. Toyota's never really caught on too much til this new gen of hipster Tacoma's (Ontario, Canada)

Could be they rot out too fast. Still seeing it with the tundras.

What fawking planet are you on? I see first gen and up toyota's running around every day. Been a good while since I even saw a ranger older than 2000
There are still quite a few around here. Probably tied with the gmt400, maybe a little less. I assume most are 5 speed... I can't picture anyone spending $2k to rebuild an A4LD for a $1500 truck.

* I'm pricing things in 2019 money

There are still quite a few around here. Probably tied with the gmt400, maybe a little less. I assume most are 5 speed... I can't picture anyone spending $2k to rebuild an A4LD for a $1500 truck.

Theres a handful of shops who still run a couple 05ish? 2wd rangers for run around rigs. But for the most part, ya just dont see them around.

Reactions: DMG
Live in the rust belt. Toyota's never really caught on too much til this new gen of hipster Tacoma's (Ontario, Canada)

Could be they rot out too fast. Still seeing it with the tundras.
At least in New England they were everywhere back in the day (like 2005-2015 They easily had parity with the Ranger during that time period. Now you never see the older ones but there's a decent number of Rangers still around.

The first generation of Colorado were oddly unpopular despite the outgoing S10 being pretty popular. :confused:

The Ranger stuck around way harder than any of the half ton trucks of the era, probably because there is no good replacement.

And FWIW the 1st gen Tundra and the '97-04 F150 probably stuck around just as equally (though both are mostly off the roads here at this point) so it's not just a Toyota hate thing. The Tacomas simply rust out too much relative to their value for people to patch them up and keep going whereas there seems to be a pretty healthy market for Ranger rear frame sections which indicated people are finding them worthwhile to fix.

Pick literally any planet other than PNW hipsterville.

Seems like they're all extended cab shortbed autos, at least around me. Fair number of manuals, but not as big as you'd think.

The only rangers I really see are the old man 2wd 4 cylinder 5 speed trucks that didn’t go out in winter or the 4.0/5 speed 4wds that are built as a mild wheeler by someone with a welder to patch up the frame. These people think they have a domestic tacoma.

Damn, Arse you really tripping over the Ranger? Those things are rare here in PA. Frames turn into brown paper mache. We still watch lifting them cause the shackles and mounts rot off the frame and the axle tries to fall out.

The only rangers I really see are the old man 2wd 4 cylinder 5 speed trucks that didn’t go out in winter or the 4.0/5 speed 4wds that are built as a mild wheeler by someone with a welder to patch up the frame.
We still have a fair number of white single cab 2wd fleet trucks which are usually 2.3 + 5spd or auto but it's not like I'm looking under the hood) on the road but they're outnumbered probably 2-1 by ex-cab trucks in various configurations that probably had nicer lives.

Regardless, why would anyone with two brain cells to rub together not just laugh away your opinion in light of the fact that you pride yourself on not having to deal with a cross section of the motoring public? You see more old man trucks because old men and women make up a disproportionate share of your customers and so everything you see skews like that.

These people think they have a domestic tacoma.
I don't think anybody except dumb-ass Toyota fanboys thinks that. Everyone's well aware that Rangers are not quite as nice, there's some not great engine/trans options and they have lived much harder lives. But they don't have the glaring fault of rusting out if you look at them funny so the overall value for money is far higher for everyone who doesn't live in the desert.

Damn, Arse you really tripping over the Ranger?
Why wouldn't I be? It's a nice well rounded vehicle of it's era with no particularly crippling Achilles heel.

It's the 2001 Honda Accord of mini trucks.

Those things are rare here in PA. Frames turn into brown paper mache.
You see more late 90s and early 00s Rangers than you do that generation of Tacoma. Maybe some of that has to do with sales numbers but I think a lot of it has to do with they're trucks you can't replace cheaply and unlike a Tacoma the whole thing isn't roached the time it comes time to do serious rust repair so people opt to do just that.

I'd say they're right up there with well kept Japanese commuter sedans, 3400/3800 GM cars one of the examples of ~25yo vehicles that's still around in large enough to notice numbers.

We still watch lifting them cause the shackles and mounts rot off the frame and the axle tries to fall out.
That's every leaf sprung pickup, SUV or van though. They all go through a set or two of hangers over their life. I wouldn't hold that against the Tacoma either.

Regardless, I don't really give a shit what you PA people say about rust. I've been to the big junkyard in Hazleton (harrys?) half a dozen times and every time everything has been as good or better than the local yards when it comes to rust. I think you people are all just complain disproportionately.

Top Back Refresh