What's new

6.7 Super Duty Maintenence/Mods

You’re arguing with yourself here…. He doesn’t own one of these trucks, never will, but knows all of the nuances about them from “mahsistersthirdbabydaddycousin.”

Pretty normal for me :laughing:

I totally understand his point of view. I'd feel the exact same way if I didn't have lot of first and 2nd hand experience with possibly 100s of 6.7s since they came out. I've heard of 2 omfg happens all the time cp4 failures 2nd hand. One was Mr woodman doing 110 mph in a hotrodded truck, the other was a covid qc Porta potty truck driven by a mouth breather.

Just like the 6.0 psd, they can fail, but the internet blows in out of proportion x10 or more.

I was only trying to clarify his point that "a dcr kit and a spare dcr pump is still a fraction of a cp4 failure" when in reality its not. The parts are the same and labor may not not even be that far off if you actually have to pay to replace the 1st dcr.

Either way, I don't think there is any more to be had of this subject. So I won't keep beating the dead horse.

Still curious about more dpk info. Specifically the s&s kit.

Just like the 6.0 psd, they can fail, but the internet blows in out of proportion x10 or more.
That is 100% truth.

Was on FB and asked about what is the best CP4 currently. Tons of guys jumped on the DCR bandwagon.

So I asked, how is it working for you? How many miles you have on it?

Then of course they had to admit they were not even available for purchase yet.

But they watched the video and were convinced it is the best thing ever.

Can't trust anything you see, can't trust anything you read. Can't trust anything.

The CP4 is the Achilles Heel. They'll be a point where when it goes bad, it'll total the truck. I just dealt with one in a titan cummins.

VP44 got a bad rap because a $100 lift pump failed. Now I'd rather do a VP44 than touch a CP4 truck.

6.0PSD are still hot garbage. For everyone one still on the road, x10 have easily shit the bed and rendered the truck for salvage.

Hook 30k lbs behind a vp44, pull it around the mountains every day and let me know how long the truck lasts :homer:

You guys can all hyperfixate on one part of a truck, but in reality these 6.7 psd trucks are very impressive over all. I guess I'll gamble at a 98%+ chance that I won't have an issue as long as I don't dump Def or water into the tank, but I'm wild like that.:flipoff2:

BTW, I don't think the parts to repair a failed cp4 are actually $10k, that's if a dealer does the work.

Quick Google says $3-4k depending on year.

I don't think that's too far off your DCR kit with an extra pump.
Tiha Is doing a contamination kit as we speak, though oddly he doesn't have contamination nor did the kit seem to resolve the problem.

At the end of the day the truth is of you have rust im the fuel system you got bad fuel, didn't drain water, or both.

That's not really a CP4 issue but a operator error or inadequate water separator installed on the truck.

Since switching the '17+ trucks to the much larger water separator filter assembly has the CP4 failure rate changed?

Tiha Is doing a contamination kit as we speak, though oddly he doesn't have contamination nor did the kit seem to resolve the problem.
Yep, motorcraft kit was less than $5k.

and I have been working on it for like 4 months. LOL But I am in no hurry.

But normal for me, I apparently have other problems that only looked like a contamination kit would fix. Or I got dead new parts.

Somedays $10k would seem cheap compared to all the testing and re testing I have done so far.

At the end of the day the truth is of you have rust im the fuel system you got bad fuel, didn't drain water, or both.

That's not really a CP4 issue but a operator error or inadequate water separator installed on the truck.

Since switching the '17+ trucks to the much larger water separator filter assembly has the CP4 failure rate changed?

Just to be fair, the thing that sucks about the cp4 is that most other pumps can handle dumb shit without issue. If I pay $100k for a truck, it should have enough gadgets and filtration to handle common things like water in diesel. Fucker should drain its self.

Also, the big rub is ford denying warranties on a lot of them.

I was wondering this as well. My ‘19 has two filters and I change both every 10k (they’re not cheap) and avoid shady fuel stations at all costs (I do the same with my equipment).

Just to be fair, the thing that sucks about the cp4 is that most other pumps can handle dumb shit without issue. If I pay $100k for a truck, it should have enough gadgets and filtration to handle common things like water in diesel. Fucker should drain its self.

Also, the big rub is ford denying warranties on a lot of them.
I do agree with all these points, we don't experience those types of failures on the various brands of injection pumps we run even with copious amounts of water in the fuel, which makes me really wonder about the filtration piece.

I do agree with all these points, we don't experience those types of failures on the various brands of injection pumps we run even with copious amounts of water in the fuel, which makes me really wonder about the filtration piece.
Yes, this was to true source of the injector issues on the early duramax engines; shitty filtration = rusted/ pitted injectors.

I've always wondered why pickups seem to have such a hard time with bad fuel when equipment gets fuel transferred from old tank to old tank, filled in dusty dirty environments, ect with very very few issues.

I've always wondered why pickups seem to have such a hard time with bad fuel when equipment gets fuel transferred from old tank to old tank, filled in dusty dirty environments, ect with very very few issues.
DJ has lost a couple fuel systems in Bobcat equipment. I’m super cautious because i’m not earning money every day with mine and they can sit for weeks between run time.

Is there any difference between dyed and non-dyed besides the color?

This has been my maintenance log and warranty log since I’ve owned my 21, not much issue. PO beat it hard so I think I had some trans issues from that. I will probably do the DCR for peace of mind. I didn’t rack enough miles personally on my 15 to experience much, but as soon as I sold it the DEF pump went out I think.

Maintenance

• 23,000 cabin filter
  • 24,600 new passenger battery
  • 25,259 oil change and fuel filter change 3/5/2022
  • 30,280 rotate tires 5/26/2022
  • 32,018 oil change 6/15/2022
  • 36,533 fuel filter change 8/6/2022
  • 39,850 driver battery, trans fluid bypass valve, trans coolant bypass valve, trans fluid flush 9/18/2022
  • 42,291 oil change and tire rotation 10/16/22
  • 51,571 oil change, tire rotation, fuel filter change 2/24/23
  • 60,267 brake pads/rotors front/rear, oil change, tire rotation 6/4/23
  • 67,828 Carli + front pads/rotors warranty 8/13/23
  • 68,072 oil change, fuel filter change 8/14/23
  • 68,250 tire rotation 8/15/2023

Not supposed to be

A lot of companies are just going to all clear and claiming "what goes in the equipment" :laughing: As a write off anyway.

It's way more convenient for many reasons.
We have to prove documentation that backs up equipment fuel. There’s a company form that needs to be submitted when fuel is transferred from a bed tank to equipment that shows the assets # and gallons.

So I texted my buddy who bought a 15 or 16 new. He's the type to get a poverty package, put mud tires on it, use it as a real truck for work, firewood, ect and fix it himself if he can. He said he has 265k miles on it with only one Def issue. Pretty sure he was running red fuel from work for a while also :laughing:

Also surprised at mileage for a dually. My buddy said like 11-12 trailer or not. My brother in law drove it back from nor cal and said he was hauling ass. Lie outer said 16.7, I reset it and drove 35 miles at about 65 and it said 19.9 mpg.

Anyone have anything to say about oil? Seems like a big debate on other forums. Ford says 10w30 or 5w40 but lots of guys just running 15w40, which I'm leaning towards since it will be used for hauling.

I’ve run all 3 and haven’t blown up yet :flipoff2:

I’ve been doing the 5 and 15w-40 more recently because I put “bio” diesel in sometimes and Ford recommends it. I only use motorcraft filters and oil, but am considering some Hot Shot Secrets products. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Got a p050e (cold start exhaust temp low) code today. It was chilly last night where we were.  maybe 40* but not exactly cold.

Google says it could be a number of things.

Had a buddy clear it with his scanner, but it still shows a permanent code?

Got a p050e (cold start exhaust temp low) code today. It was chilly last night where we were.  maybe 40* but not exactly cold.

Google says it could be a number of things.

Had a buddy clear it with his scanner, but it still shows a permanent code?
12v swap, for sure! :flippy:

6.0PSD are still hot garbage. For everyone one still on the road, x10 have easily shit the bed and rendered the truck for salvage.
I used think the same.

The farm i contract for has an 07 6.0, completely stock with an egr delete. No tune. Stock headbolts. 205k miles.
Has been driven on as little as 5 working injectors. Has been driven and worked with one up-pipe completely separated from the exhaust manifold. Has been brake torqued in line at taco bell with a 250 gallon transfer tank full of diesel in the bed. I have personally seen the temperature gague pegged at least 5 times.
Is driven with reckless abandon by window lickers.
15 to 20k oil change intervals if its lucky.
They are trying to kill the truck because no one likes driving it because "hurr durr, its a 6.0" and it smells like mouse piss and the ac doesn't work and will never work again.

It still keeps going. Still pulling around bean heads, corn heads, and full anhydrous wagons pulled in doubles.

The tuner/brodozer crowd could fuck up anything.

I used think the same.

The farm i contract for has an 07 6.0, completely stock with an egr delete. No tune. Stock headbolts. 205k miles.
Has been driven on as little as 5 working injectors. Has been driven and worked with one up-pipe completely separated from the exhaust manifold. Has been brake torqued in line at taco bell with a 250 gallon transfer tank full of diesel in the bed. I have personally seen the temperature gague pegged at least 5 times.
Is driven with reckless abandon by window lickers.
15 to 20k oil change intervals if its lucky.
They are trying to kill the truck because no one likes driving it because "hurr durr, its a 6.0" and it smells like mouse piss and the ac doesn't work and will never work again.

It still keeps going. Still pulling around bean heads, corn heads, and full anhydrous wagons pulled in doubles.

The tuner/brodozer crowd could fuck up anything.
i personally dis like the tuners, i want the factory power and want to work with in this range. now i would not mind the egr delete and what that entails. just not the tune. amazing what that truck is taking. wow lol

i personally dis like the tuners, i want the factory power and want to work with in this range. now i would not mind the egr delete and what that entails. just not the tune. amazing what that truck is taking. wow lol
I am not a tuner fan. Reading about engine failures it seems the going theory is that these engines do not like to have the timing messed with.

Had some basic tunes came with my delete programing. I hated them, the street manners were horrible so I stuck with stock fueling.

But after doing an injector and pump change the truck does not run as hard as it did. So if this is the way it was always supposed to run I can certainly see why people would want one.

This has been my maintenance log and warranty log since I’ve owned my 21, not much issue. PO beat it hard so I think I had some trans issues from that. I will probably do the DCR for peace of mind. I didn’t rack enough miles personally on my 15 to experience much, but as soon as I sold it the DEF pump went out I think.

Maintenance

• 23,000 cabin filter
  • 24,600 new passenger battery
  • 25,259 oil change and fuel filter change 3/5/2022
  • 30,280 rotate tires 5/26/2022
  • 32,018 oil change 6/15/2022
  • 36,533 fuel filter change 8/6/2022
  • 39,850 driver battery, trans fluid bypass valve, trans coolant bypass valve, trans fluid flush 9/18/2022
  • 42,291 oil change and tire rotation 10/16/22
  • 51,571 oil change, tire rotation, fuel filter change 2/24/23
  • 60,267 brake pads/rotors front/rear, oil change, tire rotation 6/4/23
  • 67,828 Carli + front pads/rotors warranty 8/13/23
  • 68,072 oil change, fuel filter change 8/14/23
  • 68,250 tire rotation 8/15/2023
Seat heater died around 70k, I use it pretty much any time the truck is on so probably burned it out

I think the pinion is weeping in the rear

I have the fuel pump knock

Phone call quality seem to be pretty shit by various accounts I get when talking to people

Going to try and get all this handled under warranty before it runs out at 100k, should hit 75 in a couple weeks. I’ll also just pay the dealer to do a coolant drain and fill on both systems when it’s there so I don’t need to deal with the mess.
Thinking about switching from Motorcraft to Hot Shot Secrets motor oil

Other than that, truck hasn’t given me issues. Hoping that at this mileage, if it was going to have serious problems they would have manifested already. Planning on having my company pay it off in the next 3-4 years right around when I hit 200k miles and then it’ll retire from a “work truck” to my backup tow rig and I’ll need to buy something new for “work truck”.

Isn't bumper to bumper only like 30k miles?

My exhaust temp code apparently fixed itself. But the mechanic found a Def quality and Def level sensor code. Then I read a throttle position sensor code :homer:

He said in his experience when these newer diesels hit 180k, they start shifting out all the sensors. Mine has 173k :homer::laughing: Luckily he's very reasonable on his rates. I may just have him change the sensors and install the dpk.

Top Back Refresh