What's new

6.7 Super Duty Maintenence/Mods

have you drove a 2020 yet?

the horse power went up a noticeable amount. but our trucks have a 4.10 gear IIRC

To add to the thread. Looks like im deleting my truck next month. I work off the back bumper, vice hydraulic crimper working platform is all right by the exhaust and it regens every fucking time i use my PTO..which is my compressor and my crane
Well ive been busy but the tuner came in today and the pipe should be here tomorrow. Went with a tow tune only as the cab and chassis in my usage are guilty of heat issues and the cab and chassis has a smaller turbo.

muffler came with the kit as a cut and weld in but im gonna straight pipe it and run it for about a week or two and then decide if i want to put the muffler on.

its a commercial truck so i need to be wary of rolling across a scale sounding awesome

No mods to the dpf, 3.55 gears and 37" MTs. Mileage is 15-16 empty. Truck weighs #8750
better than mine

Stock,
5.86 gears or 5.29 cant remember its a dana 120
19.5s
mileage 7.3-8.1 mpg Empty? if you call it that. truck weighs 20,960#

Well ive been busy but the tuner came in today and the pipe should be here tomorrow. Went with a tow tune only as the cab and chassis in my usage are guilty of heat issues and the cab and chassis has a smaller turbo.

muffler came with the kit as a cut and weld in but im gonna straight pipe it and run it for about a week or two and then decide if i want to put the muffler on.

its a commercial truck so i need to be wary of rolling across a scale sounding awesome
I liked mine MUCH better with a muffler. I hated the turbo hissing without it.

I have a 2014 F250 lariat 4x4. 175k miles. trouble free cept the def system. Finally fixed the def problem and the EGR problem. Min Max tuner. With the resonator still in it, too loud for me. I need to find a muffler.

But I didn't like the shifting on upper power levels so I am running stock fueling. Not the best tuner but it did what I needed it to do.

18-18.5 mpg at best. Stock height, stock tires. Average 15 in the city. I did not see any mileage improvement from tuning.

So far it seems like they have a very well built engine. I suspect I will need a trans in the next year. No reason to change engine designs. Would love to clip the cap and weld an excursion on the back.

I liked mine MUCH better with a muffler. I hated the turbo hissing without it.
i installed it today. the kit i got the patch pipe is about 4 inches to short without the muffler. I did fire it up and listen to it, its cool right now..but about 1 hour into working off the bumper it would get old real fuckin quick.

Our fabricator is coming in early to patch the muffler in to close the gap.

300 miles since installed mixed driving. about 4 hours idling on the pto circuit.

I went up to 10.1 mpg. Used to be 7.3 mpg after being on the highway awhile.

Bumping this up. I just got a 13 f350 with 123k. It just had the fuel system replaced and gone through.

2016 f350 here, stock height, stock tire size, 80k miles.

Needed a rear pinion seal at about 75k miles. Replace the oil separator assembly about that same time with a motocraft part off Amazon. Driver lock actuator is not working anymore. All else seems good.

Attachments

• 20230618_124730.jpg
    20230618_124730.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 4
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Cclb Drw with 170k miles for a song. Only reason I'm doing it is because it's a buddy of Mines and I actually was with him when he bought it with 12k miles, so I know the trucks history. Been used for hauling heavy, but we'll maintained and lots of highway miles also.

It's going to be a work truck, so stock and reliable are key.

Only plans as of now are a disaster prevention kit. But also curious if just replacing the CP4 now would make sense?

Also undecided on keeping the emissions intact or not.

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Cclb Drw with 170k miles for a song. Only reason I'm doing it is because it's a buddy of Mines and I actually was with him when he bought it with 12k miles, so I know the trucks history. Been used for hauling heavy, but we'll maintained and lots of highway miles also.

It's going to be a work truck, so stock and reliable are key.

Only plans as of now are a disaster prevention kit. But also curious if just replacing the CP4 now would make sense?

Also undecided on keeping the emissions intact or not.
Personally the CP4 is a crap shoot. Get as much as you can out of it. It may last 10k it may last 700k.

but at first sign of trouble inspect for metal debris.

Change your fuel filters like you should. Gelling is common cause of failures. It creates a suction event on the CP4 allowing the piston to rotate.

Low pressure fuel gauge is not a terrible Idea. But I have never run one.

Personally the CP4 is a crap shoot. Get as much as you can out of it. It may last 10k it may last 700k.

but at first sign of trouble inspect for metal debris.

Change your fuel filters like you should. Gelling is common cause of failures. It creates a suction event on the CP4 allowing the piston to rotate.

Low pressure fuel gauge is not a terrible Idea. But I have never run one.

I read a few forums saying this also, there is a possibility that you spend the $2k or whatever on a new one and it goes out in 10k miles :homer:

I guess I'll just dive into disaster prevention kits and change the fuel filter as often as possible.

Ordered an s&s kit, hoping to put it on next week before we leave, are they pretty easy?

One thing my buddy said that made me a little nervous was that he had a code thrown and work done because of a plugged fuel filter ......:laughing:

What are the “disaster prevention” kits? It seems the general consensus on these trucks is; do your maintenance and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I’m looking at emissions work. Most pick up several mpg and those components are all $$$$$ when they fail or need replacement.

What are the “disaster prevention” kits? It seems the general consensus on these trucks is; do your maintenance and if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I’m looking at emissions work. Most pick up several mpg and those components are all $$$$$ when they fail or need replacement.

As I understand it basically puts a filter between the pump and the rest of the fuel system. IF the cp4 fails, it is supposed to stop shrapnel from contaminating the entire fuel system. For $400 vs $10k or whatever, I'll throw it on there.

If I bought a 6.7 this would be on order before I even brought the truck home.

I've been around dozens and dozens of 6.7 psd's and only recently saw one shit a cp4. It was a 21 or 22, so I feel like covid quality control may have been the issue.

I don't know what a dcr pump is, from what I've found its not a factory application. The last thing I want on a work truck/long range tow rig is custom shit. In my experience, even the "unreliable" stock parts are typically better than a custom part.

I've been around dozens and dozens of 6.7 psd's and only recently saw one shit a cp4. It was a 21 or 22, so I feel like covid quality control may have been the issue.

I don't know what a dcr pump is, from what I've found its not a factory application. The last thing I want on a work truck/long range tow rig is custom shit. In my experience, even the "unreliable" stock parts are typically better than a custom part.
While I dont own a 6.7 I know multiple friends who have had a failed cp4 pump and were stuck with a 10k repair and I know a few people personally who were left stranded on the side of the road far from home with a trailer and at the mercy of tow trucks, repair shops, etc. It seems like there are 2 camps of people, CP4 issues exist but its not as common as you think and others who know multiple people getting fucked by the CP4. It personally scares me.

I know failure can happen to any truck, any model, any motor but seeing a specific part fail on more then 1 person I know, I personally, wouldn't risk it, but I understand others have had better luck.

The DCR pump is a widely used pump across the world. It is a factory pump with OEM money and testing dumped into it. It wasnt a ground up build for an aftermarket pump that was tested for 6 months and then put it into the wild. According to S&S it has a great track record, even in areas in the world where fuel quality is trash. One of their testers had water in their fuel long enough that rust was starting to show in the pump and the pump was still working fine. I am sure the injectors weren't happy, but it removed the fear of the pump leaving you with a 10k repair or on the side of the road.

The failures have to be great enough for GM and Ram to ditch the CP4.

Edit: Added videos

What comes factory with a dcr pump?

Now that I think of it, I do know one guy who had one go out, but he had it hotrodded out and drove like a drunk teen in daddys truck.

They scare me too, but the fact this truck has been mostly problem free for 170k miles makes me trust it more than most.

Obviously I'm still weary enough of it to buy the dpk, so take that for what it is.

What comes factory with a dcr pump?

Now that I think of it, I do know one guy who had one go out, but he had it hotrodded out and drove like a drunk teen in daddys truck.

They scare me too, but the fact this truck has been mostly problem free for 170k miles makes me trust it more than most.

Obviously I'm still weary enough of it to buy the dpk, so take that for what it is.
I think the dpk is a great option.

The S&S guy stated in the video that it’s a factory pump made by stanadyne, used in oe applications since 2014 and over 700k of them in use. The oe applications are used in trucks larger than the 6.7 and the trucks are in Europe, India and China. I’ll do some research on what vehicles it came on, now I’m curious.

I think the dpk is a great option.

The S&S guy stated in the video that it’s a factory pump made by stanadyne, used in oe applications since 2014 and over 700k of them in use. The oe applications are used in trucks larger than the 6.7 and the trucks are in Europe, India and China. I’ll do some research on what vehicles it came on, now I’m curious.

What I'm getting at, is how hard is it to find in bfe? Googling DCR fuel pump mainly just pulls us the s&s kit.

I think I'd be more open to a cp3 conversion, but I can only find kits for the 6.7 cummins.

My thoughts are this. I'm out in bfe and something takes a shit. The more modified your truck, the more of a pain it is to get something fixed.

I really believe the cp4 is not unreliable at all, there are (googled it:laughing:) 40. MILLION in existence for gods sakes, it's just that when it goes, its a fucking wrecking ball.

What I'm getting at, is how hard is it to find in bfe? Googling DCR fuel pump mainly just pulls us the s&s kit.

I think I'd be more open to a cp3 conversion, but I can only find kits for the 6.7 cummins.

My thoughts are this. I'm out in bfe and something takes a shit. The more modified your truck, the more of a pain it is to get something fixed.

I really believe the cp4 is not unreliable at all, there are (googled it:laughing:) 40. MILLION in existence for gods sakes, it's just that when it goes, its a fucking wrecking ball.
The cp3 doesn’t fit in the valley of the ford 6.7 from what I’m told.

If you’re out in BFE and your cp4 fails you’re fucked, especially if you’re without a disaster prevention kit. Good luck tracking down injectors, lines, cp4, and all the other shit that’s required. If your cp4 fails with a prevention kit you’re still fucked. If a DCR fails you’re fucked. Your chances of getting a cp4 same day is probably not great if you’re truly in BFE. If you’re near a major city you could potentially have one same day. If you’re in BFE I’m sure you’re 1-2 days out. DCR is probably 1-2 days out if S&S overnights it and they have them. I’m sure they aren’t as readily available.

It is opinion that the cp4 is a POS given my experiences seen by people I know. Ford and GM have class action lawsuits going against them on the cp4. Ram willingly replaced every cp4 for a cp3 free of charge. GM and Ram wouldn’t have walked away from it if it was proven. Again, it’s my opinion and it won’t change.

To prevent further detailing the thread there is an option for maintenance/mods.
1) do nothing
2) get disaster prevention kit
3) dcr pump conversion

Just listing the options. Disclaimer to anyone interested: do your own research before deciding

The cp3 doesn’t fit in the valley of the ford 6.7 from what I’m told.

If you’re out in BFE and your cp4 fails you’re fucked, especially if you’re without a disaster prevention kit. Good luck tracking down injectors, lines, cp4, and all the other shit that’s required. If your cp4 fails with a prevention kit you’re still fucked. If a DCR fails you’re fucked. Your chances of getting a cp4 same day is probably not great if you’re truly in BFE. If you’re near a major city you could potentially have one same day. If you’re in BFE I’m sure you’re 1-2 days out. DCR is probably 1-2 days out if S&S overnights it and they have them. I’m sure they aren’t as readily available.

Im not talking about them.being 1 to 2 days out, im talking about getting the work done. Im not sure id want to have the sensitive fuel system open in parking lot in the desert and finding a shop that will work on a truck with an aftermark fuel pump could be far more difficult than a stock truck, was my point.

It is opinion that the cp4 is a POS given my experiences seen by people I know. Ford and GM have class action lawsuits going against them on the cp4. Ram willingly replaced every cp4 for a cp3 free of charge. GM and Ram wouldn’t have walked away from it if it was proven. Again, it’s my opinion and it won’t change.

All true, I just always find it wierd how unreliable everything is on the internet. I guess people only really talk about failure online.

To prevent further detailing the thread there is an option for maintenance/mods.
1) do nothing
2) get disaster prevention kit
3) dcr pump conversion

Just listing the options. Disclaimer to anyone interested: do your own research before deciding

I'll look into the dcr more, it's not really that much more than a replacement cp4 anyway.

Going through all of this right now, well for almost a year as I am just working on a spare truck.

The disaster kits. That is a 50/50 thing. None of them are guaranteed to save the fuel system. In all my reading I think I found one person that said, "Yes it saved me." and a whole lot of people that had problems. Low pressure. Or pissed off because they thought it would save them and did not.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because it is what I read online. So there's that.

DCR pump, hey yeah that sounds great. But honestly the only real world experience anyone has with it is NONE. I would wait a little longer before jumping on that bandwagon.

If you are looking at aftermarket modified pumps CPX has some great options. Then again they have not been around that long either.

OEM remans, you can get such a wide range of options and a wide range of prices. You can find good and bad reviews about all of them. It is a total crap shoot.

Injectors direct is one that I found had the worst reviews. They even offer used/tested injectors, Not even rebuilt. Yet you go on FB and the guys seem to think that is the greatest place ever.
Another is Pensacola diesel. Those guys have been around for a long time. They have some good and bad reviews. But FB guys seem to hate them. But to put it in perspective Pensacola diesel rebuilds and sells 10 times more injectors than most other dealers. So they should have more complaints.

Nobody is going to say anything until they have a problem. There are Brand new high end parts and the lowest cheapest budget parts being put in everyday and working just fine for a long time.

New or reman there is no guarantee you are getting a good part. Nor is it guaranteed that any of these disaster kits or modified pumps are any better than factory setup. It is just luck of the draw.

Leave it alone as long as you can.

Going through all of this right now, well for almost a year as I am just working on a spare truck.

The disaster kits. That is a 50/50 thing. None of them are guaranteed to save the fuel system. In all my reading I think I found one person that said, "Yes it saved me." and a whole lot of people that had problems. Low pressure. Or pissed off because they thought it would save them and did not.

Take all of this with a grain of salt because it is what I read online. So there's that.

DCR pump, hey yeah that sounds great. But honestly the only real world experience anyone has with it is NONE. I would wait a little longer before jumping on that bandwagon.

If you are looking at aftermarket modified pumps CPX has some great options. Then again they have not been around that long either.

OEM remans, you can get such a wide range of options and a wide range of prices. You can find good and bad reviews about all of them. It is a total crap shoot.

Injectors direct is one that I found had the worst reviews. They even offer used/tested injectors, Not even rebuilt. Yet you go on FB and the guys seem to think that is the greatest place ever.
Another is Pensacola diesel. Those guys have been around for a long time. They have some good and bad reviews. But FB guys seem to hate them. But to put it in perspective Pensacola diesel rebuilds and sells 10 times more injectors than most other dealers. So they should have more complaints.

Nobody is going to say anything until they have a problem. There are Brand new high end parts and the lowest cheapest budget parts being put in everyday and working just fine for a long time.

New or reman there is no guarantee you are getting a good part. Nor is it guaranteed that any of these disaster kits or modified pumps are any better than factory setup. It is just luck of the draw.

Leave it alone as long as you can.

I actually was just starting to read your thread. I may just return the dpk as I just feel like stock is reliable. Just try to be good about Changing the fuel filter.

Funny that everyone says to change the fuel filters every 15k miles. We have 6 or 7 6.7s at work and I don't think the crusty old guy in the shop has ever changed the fuel filter on any of them :laughing:

I could be wrong, but when you work at a place that they expect you to change your own oil, you'd think they'd mention the fuel filter too.

Top Back Refresh