What's new

2022 Ram 3500 drw, HO Diesel....What to expect?

Truck has been built, waiting on a train ride to Port Allen,Tx.

Got the window sticker.........ouch.......I'm not paying the window sticker price, just a little over the dealer invoice. I went in and ordered it, so the dealer didn't have to do anything.
Lets see the sticker

Capture.JPG

Some of those options I'd consider very reasonable, price wise. The 4.10s and Aisin should be standard, pimp combo.

I dont think I've seen the ram box on a dually either. Interesting it was a delete.

Some of those options I'd consider very reasonable, price wise. The 4.10s and Aisin should be standard, pimp combo.

I dont think I've seen the ram box on a dually either. Interesting it was a delete.

Selecting DRW automatically deletes the ram box, it wasn't a choice by me.

Now that the truck has been built, I was able to punch in the VIN on the Ram sight and get the towing and payload capacity that will be listed on the door.

Payload-towing.JPG
My 2005 Ram 3500 quad cap dually 3.73 gears 4 speed Slush Box 4X4

Payload 4800 LB Max Towing 13,500 :lmao::lmao: I think, if the half ton truck is built right it can tow over 13,000 now:homer:

My 2005 Ram 3500 quad cap dually 3.73 gears 4 speed Slush Box 4X4

Payload 4800 LB Max Towing 13,500 :lmao::lmao: I think, if the half ton truck is built right it can tow over 13,000 now:homer:

Can work in your favor if you're skirting the law.

My '07 mega cab drw 4x4 is 10.5k GVWR. That '22 spec'd the same is 14k. That's an extra 3500lbs I can sneak under 26k to stay legal.

Basically any new truck with a 14k trailer is class A....

Can work in your favor if you're skirting the law.

My '07 mega cab drw 4x4 is 10.5k GVWR. That '22 spec'd the same is 14k. That's an extra 3500lbs I can sneak under 26k to stay legal.

Basically any new truck with a 14k trailer is class A....
My dually and my bumper pull toy hauler is Class A...

Now that the truck has been built, I was able to punch in the VIN on the Ram sight and get the towing and payload capacity that will be listed on the door.

Payload-towing.JPG

So they're saying you can hook a 33k lb trailer behind that?

My new work truck is a 2019 F550 grossing 38k lbs all the time and I can't imagine adding even more wieght and dropping to smaller tires and brakes :laughing:

New trucks are crazy.

My new work truck is a 2019 F550 grossing 38k lbs all the time and I can't imagine adding even more wieght and dropping to smaller tires and brakes :laughing:

New trucks are crazy.

It get better when you get rid of extra doors, 4x4 and all the bells and whistles.

Capture.JPG

was thinking of a new truck
read this thread and still at the conclusion there is nothing new that I want

I'll dump 1500.00 back into the ol Gen 2 and freshen her up

Good luck to the OP, but eff that is more than the cost of my first house :eek:

Ya, these new truck are stupid when it comes to price. I know supply and demand but, fuck me it was a hard pill to swallow.

Then I realized, I probably have the same amount of cash tied up in my Jeep and it's a non-running unfinished pile right now. At least the new truck will look nice.:flipoff2:

This will be my last truck. The truck it's replacing I kept for 21 years, I plan to do the same with this one.

Couple days before I ordered it, I paid off my house, so I'll actually have less less money going out a month.

That's how I justified it to myself anyway. Still stings.

New trucks are crazy.

But you can't buy that house for that now....

But you can't buy that house for that now....
you are correct
but my $10,000 300k mile truck still gets my shit to where I need it, at the steed limit and still gets better mileage that the new wiz bang techno trucks of now days

I'll stick with my cassette player and crank windows :laughing:

and my first house was $42,000 in case you were wondering (on a lake)

hope OP likes this thing, tech has come a long way in the last few years that is for sure :beer:

Can someone school me on DEF? I know nothing about it and I guess I should.

Can different brands be mixed?

Is all DEF created equal?

yes/no/maybe?:flipoff2:

I have "standardized" on a brand because it's "well rated" and available.

But I couldn't tell you if it's at all the same as what Ford puts in when they do an oil change (they almost always top it off).

If you accidentally add the def to your fuel tank don't even think about starting your truck until you have drained that nonsense, you won't make it out of your driveway.

It is 32.5% UREA and Distilled water.
It can be mixed, it can go "bad" it can be damaged from high temps.
It WILL wreck fuel systems, hydraulic systems etc. if put in the wrong hole.
IMO it is all created equal, if it passes concentration tests it is GOOD.

I asked these questions when I bought my truck 5 years ago. Was answered Yes and Yes at that time. I've not had any ill effects on the few times I've switched providers.

FWIW I've bought my DEF at Wally World, as it's convenient and cheap. But occasionally I'll buy elsewhere. I typically wait until the DEF light is on, then put a full 5 gallons in, then wait until the DEF light is back on again. Repeat.

When running empty, I'll go about 2500 to 2700 miles on a full tank. When towing heavy, it'll drop to a 1000 to 1200 miles for a tank of DEF. Since most of my driving is varied (some tow, some empty) I'll get somewhere in the middle.

I've been in deep freeze a few times, and haven't experienced the 'frozen DEF' that my owner's manual describes.

Our local fleet fueling sites sell it at the pump. They advertise it as the Blu DEF but I don't know if it is or not. I watch guys get 100 gal at a time so my 4 to 5 at most doesn't make me worry.

I got the official recall letter saying that my dealer is getting parts for the CP4 to CP3 swap and to call for an appointment. I called and they said that some dealers are getting parts and based on my SN, they'll call me in September or so. They've done about 10 so far and thats just been on trucks that have thrown codes or lights or been in for other major issues.

Why do the rams use more def when towing? I saw a half ass YouTube review on a 2020 Ford vs 2021 ram towing a 53' wedge and they said the ram used like 4x's as much def as the Ford.

I've put almost 3k miles on my work truck grossing 38k lbs and hitting 6% grades every day. I have not put def in it. Last I looked it was over half full. I'm thinking it may go 5k miles before I refill.

I thought that towing heavy put more heat in the DPF and kept it cleaner, vs putting around empty. But I could be wrong. I've only seen it say it's cleaning exhaust twice.

It is 32.5% UREA and Distilled water.
It can be mixed, it can go "bad" it can be damaged from high temps.
It WILL wreck fuel systems, hydraulic systems etc. if put in the wrong hole.
IMO it is all created equal, if it passes concentration tests it is GOOD.

Is there a way to tell in the DEF has gone bad or been damaged by heat? Does this stuff have an expiration date?

Our local fleet fueling sites sell it at the pump. They advertise it as the Blu DEF but I don't know if it is or not. I watch guys get 100 gal at a time so my 4 to 5 at most doesn't make me worry.

I got the official recall letter saying that my dealer is getting parts for the CP4 to CP3 swap and to call for an appointment. I called and they said that some dealers are getting parts and based on my SN, they'll call me in September or so. They've done about 10 so far and thats just been on trucks that have thrown codes or lights or been in for other major issues.

I have a '22 I'm waiting on to show up, so I should miss out on that headache. I have read that there's some sensor for the exhaust that they're having supply issues with and mine may not come with that sensor installed. I guess they delete it in the tune and when they get sensors, I'll have to bring it in for the sensor and a updated tune.

Why do the rams use more def when towing? I saw a half ass YouTube review on a 2020 Ford vs 2021 ram towing a 53' wedge and they said the ram used like 4x's as much def as the Ford.

I've put almost 3k miles on my work truck grossing 38k lbs and hitting 6% grades every day. I have not put def in it. Last I looked it was over half full. I'm thinking it may go 5k miles before I refill.

I thought that towing heavy put more heat in the DPF and kept it cleaner, vs putting around empty. But I could be wrong. I've only seen it say it's cleaning exhaust twice.
DEF has nothing to do with the DPF or particulate emissions.
It is only for NOX reduction.
Not sure on the usage issue, many factors way above my paygrade.

Is there a way to tell in the DEF has gone bad or been damaged by heat? Does this stuff have an expiration date?

I have a '22 I'm waiting on to show up, so I should miss out on that headache. I have read that there's some sensor for the exhaust that they're having supply issues with and mine may not come with that sensor installed. I guess they delete it in the tune and when they get sensors, I'll have to bring it in for the sensor and a updated tune.
You test it just like antifreeze or battery acid, specific gravity.
We use some refractometers and digital testers but any specific gravity tester will do.

Top Back Refresh