What's new

2022 Ram 3500 drw, HO Diesel....What to expect?

gt1guy

Apparently a racist
Member Number
Loc
New Iberia, La.
Just ordered my new tow pig. 2022 Ram 3500 DRW, 4x4, Mega cab, HO Cummins, Limited. Got the VIN# yesterday, no build date yet.

Ol' Blue is being put out to pasture. '01 Chevy 2500HD ex cab, 8.1L, zf 6spd, 4.10.

Never had a dually or a diesel, or a Ram.

What should I expect?

Transmission problems :flipoff2:

God I hope not. When I was researching I read a lot of speculation about the Rams getting the Allison trans. But if that happens, it won't be in the '22's. The trucks are still getting the Aisin. I didn't read about any real problems with them.

You should expect to buy tires regularly

Is there a tire that lasts that folks have found?

the factory tires suck I had to load force them right out of the gate because of a slight vibration but once that was done no problems.
what hp/torque set up did you go with and transmission?
the Aisin is a monster of a transmission only bad thing if your going to add a tuner there is no transmission tuning for them the last I checked a year ago.
with it being a mega you can fold the seats down and put a regular twin mattress in there. Mine had the 12.1 big screen I loved that with android auto. the only thing I got annoyed with was the dead pedal because of the torque management bullshit I added a pedal commander to it and helped 100%

That seems like all duallys? My father in has had 2 F350 drw an 04 and 17, they both seem to eat tires. I have wondered if it's the tiny front tires on them vs their srw version?
i think the tire scrub in the rear on the duallys probably doesnt help either

I think you can expect to love having a dually.

Just ordered my new tow pig. 2022 Ram 3500 DRW, 4x4, Mega cab, HO Cummins, Limited. Got the VIN# yesterday, no build date yet.

Ol' Blue is being put out to pasture. '01 Chevy 2500HD ex cab, 8.1L, zf 6spd, 4.10.

Never had a dually or a diesel, or a Ram.

What should I expect?
Expect to sell to me. Let me buy you a couple beers to tell me how awesome your 2022 ram will be and I'll drive that chubby home

the factory tires suck I had to load force them right out of the gate because of a slight vibration but once that was done no problems.
what hp/torque set up did you go with and transmission?
the Aisin is a monster of a transmission only bad thing if your going to add a tuner there is no transmission tuning for them the last I checked a year ago.
with it being a mega you can fold the seats down and put a regular twin mattress in there. Mine had the 12.1 big screen I loved that with android auto. the only thing I got annoyed with was the dead pedal because of the torque management bullshit I added a pedal commander to it and helped 100%

I was giving him shit about transmission issues. The Asian tranny (:flipoff2:) they use seems pretty good. I have driven 1 a handful of time in a 4500 and talked to my buddy with the same truck. They don't have the shifting down imo. I had a ~15k trailer behind me and would be pulling a hill at ~2200 rpm, pulling great, and it would up shift and bog out :homer: then down shift again. My buddy said his is the same way, and he just uses manual mode. I couldn't figure out how to do that when I was driving. Like I said, this was only a handful of times driving the truck.

Will a twin really fit? Is there actually 6' 3" between the doors? If so that nice, my 97 and 2015 ford cabs are no where near that wide and even being 5'10" I have to sleep diagonal and it's not great.

i think the tire scrub in the rear on the duallys probably doesnt help either

Ya, 4 tires pushing 2. If I had a dually, I'd go 285/70r17s or 295/70r17 in the front and 255/80r17s in the back. You cant really rotate them front to back anyway and those sizes are almost identical height.

One thing I found interesting is that the standard Cummins has a 19:1 static compression ratio and the HO version has a 16:1 static compression ratio.
I assume the HO is running more boost to put out the higher power numbers. But wouldn't that leave you light on power when not under load?

One thing I found interesting is that the standard Cummins has a 19:1 static compression ratio and the HO version has a 16:1 static compression ratio.
I assume the HO is running more boost to put out the higher power numbers. But wouldn't that leave you light on power when not under load?

My buddy has been playing with his 6.7 Cummins. With the vgt turbo, they can make almost instant power. He has read about guy tuning them too aggressively and either blowing up parts or just blowing the tires off the line.

Stock they are only limited by the nannys. Like someone said, the throttle response on all new trucks sucks, plus tq management and the strive for only unicorn farts out the tailpipe is what makes them sometimes feel sluggish off the line.

That is interesting though, as I figured all the engines were the same and it was just the tuning that was different.

Edit: another interesting thing is that the standard version makes peak tq (850) at 1700 rpm and the ho makes it (1075) at 1325 rpm.

Also, I read something funny that all auto ads do. "the ho version of the Cummins has the biggest intercooler they have ever fitted to a pickup" well no fucking shit? I sure hope you aren't putting small shit on a truck with 50% more power than just a few years ago :laughing::homer:

Last edited:
The nanny shit I can eventually remove. What can be removed anyway. Where I live, inspections consist of checking the horn, lights, brake lights, turn signals and wipers. There's no emissions crap or plugging into the OBDII. I just don't want to have to swap a bunch of shit around to take it into the dealer for a while.

I'll wait till I've had the 5 new transmissions put in.:flipoff2:

Ya, 4 tires pushing 2. If I had a dually, I'd go 285/70r17s or 295/70r17 in the front and 255/80r17s in the back. You cant really rotate them front to back anyway and those sizes are almost identical height.

Why can't you rotate them front to back? I do it all the time, only people I know who don't are People with bling rims only on the outside. They still rotate them front to back they just leave the rear inside duals alone.

Why can't you rotate them front to back? I do it all the time, only people I know who don't are People with bling rims only on the outside. They still rotate them front to back they just leave the rear inside duals alone.

You're right. It's mostly from having alloy wheels. The few times I've seen them rotated they just look like shit. I guess if you don't care or have the time to clean them, it's fine. Also lame that stock trucks come with a steel inner rear and alloy outters.

I figured if I had one, I'd just rotate them side to side and maybe have the fronts flipped on the wheels once or twice.

I will say, years ago we had a company truck. 06 single cab 12' utility bed 2wd F350. Not loaded super heavy. 9-10k gross irrc, never towed. That truck rarely got them rotated maybe once or twice. But wore a set of 6 Michelin ltx or whatever street tires out dead flat to 70k miles.

Will a twin really fit? Is there actually 6' 3" between the doors? If so that nice, my 97 and 2015 ford cabs are no where near that wide and even being 5'10" I have to sleep diagonal and it's not great.

I'm 6ft and can barely fit between the doors, but I sleep in it at an angle to be more comfortable. A twin size air/foam mattress fits because it can contour to the doors and seats, but I don't think a true mattress would fit.

Duane

I'm 6ft and can barely fit between the doors, but I sleep in it at an angle to be more comfortable. A twin size air/foam mattress fits because it can contour to the doors and seats, but I don't think a true mattress would fit.

Duane
OK, I gotcha. I was going to be surprised if they were really that wide. I knew they looked bigger than the fords, but not a foot bigger :laughing:

I've an 18 Ram 3500 HO with the Aisin. Haven't had a problem. Trans shifts beautifully with a 4000 camper sitting in the bed, and pulling a 10k trailer behind. I've not got duals, and am mixed about it. I'd like it for the camper weight, but that's only a few weeks a year, and the added width of the duals a PITA the rest of the time.

I go thru a tank of DEF about every 6 or 7 tanks of fuel. Fuel economy is 12 mpg or so when towing heavy. Worst tank I've ever gotten is 10.something. Best is 20.something. Normal empty is around 17. The fuel economy computer lies, adding about 2mpg over what the actual math of gallons pumped / miles driven. Buddy of mine just got a 2022 and his fuel tank is twice my size. Mine's a crew cab / long bed (for the camper). Duals have a higher rear axle ratio, so your towing rating / fuel economy will vary.

OK, I gotcha. I was going to be surprised if they were really that wide. I knew they looked bigger than the fords, but not a foot bigger :laughing:
a pillow top twin will fit just compress it about 2-3 inches at the end or like stated before a foam one will work. there great for long distance and the wife likes it.

No complaints about how mine shifts, don't know if it helps that the exhaust brake is on all the time. I thought I would hate the automatic for towing but I actually like it.

A futon mattress fits perfect in my OG megacab. I then can fold it up behind the seat when not using it. I sleep diagonal as well, not a big deal.

I had a 2013 dually with the 4.10s and a 2018 srw with the 3.42s. Both HO/Aisin combos. The dually was better in every way. Towing a 5th wheel toy hauler across the 40 in the summer just outside of needles there are some decent grades. It's well over 100 out. My oil temp would run about 200-205 on the flats. I'd hit the grade, manually downshift to 4th, and cruise up at 70mph. By the time I hit the top my oil temp was down to 190. The HO cooling package was impressive.

Has anyone pulled the stock 32gal tank out and installed a 50gal from Titan or one of the other companies?

I've heard there was an option for a 50gal tank from the factory, but there was no choice for it when I was ordering.

Has anyone pulled the stock 32gal tank out and installed a 50gal from Titan or one of the other companies?

I've heard there was an option for a 50gal tank from the factory, but there was no choice for it when I was ordering.
Buddy of mine did this.

Then when his fuel injector / fuel pump had warranty issues the claim was denied. Cost him like 8k to fix.

And it wasn't the fault of the tank.

New 2022s and newer have an OEM factory option for a larger tank

Top Back Refresh