What's new

2022 Ram 3500 drw, HO Diesel....What to expect?

It was something along the lines of needing more pressure/flow with the other updates for 19. Somewhere in 20, they updated from asymmetric lobes to symmetrical lobes within the CP4. For 21, a CP3 variant was brought back.

When the CP4 died on my 19 last summer, the newer version was the replacement. Now there is a recall that’s awaiting parts supply. Sounds like an adapter ring and the CP3 variant.
How many miles were on your '19 when it died? Any warnings? I have 33k on my '20 and its VIN is in the list of 222k trucks that are on the list of needing the pump. I got the letter in the mail yesterday actually, and it just said it "could" happen and that there is no fix yet, even though the internet makes it sound like they're doing what you said and putting the '21 up pumps in them.

How many miles were on your '19 when it died? Any warnings? I have 33k on my '20 and its VIN is in the list of 222k trucks that are on the list of needing the pump. I got the letter in the mail yesterday actually, and it just said it "could" happen and that there is no fix yet, even though the internet makes it sound like they're doing what you said and putting the '21 up pumps in them.

23k, northbound out of Vegas, felt a bump and “Exhaust Service Required” came up on the dash, losing power and coasted as much as possible. Wouldn’t restart, just cranked.

Was the last trip of moving, so trailer hooked up and full of shop stuff. Buddy was able to come get the trailer, took 2 tows to get to a dealer.

All warranty and had it back in under a week. New injection pump, lines, filters, and lift pump and cleaned out the tank.

23k, northbound out of Vegas, felt a bump and “Exhaust Service Required” came up on the dash, losing power and coasted as much as possible. Wouldn’t restart, just cranked.

Was the last trip of moving, so trailer hooked up and full of shop stuff. Buddy was able to come get the trailer, took 2 tows to get to a dealer.

All warranty and had it back in under a week. New injection pump, lines, filters, and lift pump and cleaned out the tank.

Thanks for the response, and in detail. I guess I'll just keep it in the back of my mind that I'll know its a chance thing until some sort of fix comes to fruition. Don't want to reset on the equity in this one, and I kinda like the stupid thing.

How long do these things take to warm up first thing in the morning? It never really gets below freezing where I live.
My 12v Cummins take about 30 minutes of driving before I’ll get any reasonable heat on a 10* morning if I didn’t plug it in, or about half of that if I plugged it in. Take about just as long if I high idle it @ ~1500rpm. I plug it in daily as my commute one way is about 25 minutes. What annoys me the most that it’ll literally lose all of heat if I let it to idle (I set its idle to ~1,000rpm) with the blower motor on max in no time. I’ll have heat almost immediately if I’m towing a car, however.

FWIW

My 2020 3500 Mega was remote started at 5:50 this morning, and I was in it leaving my driveway at 6a on the dot, the engine temp was 143 degrees which I thought was still kinda cold; then I noticed it was 11 degrees F this AM. If I had given it another 3 to 5 min I'd have seen the 160 or so.
However, the truck never got above 183 deg engine temp on the hour drive in; normally it runs 189 to 192. It was 17F when I parked it.

Did you have it plugged in? Mine never gets that warm just from remote starting unless it is.

Duane

Did you have it plugged in? Mine never gets that warm just from remote starting unless it is.

Duane
Nope, not plugged in. Just did it again this morning to validate and though it was 17 degrees and not 11, it was still up to 150 degrees when I got in it after exactly 10 minutes of idle. It ran up to high idle almost immediately after cold start vs sometimes it low idles for like 2 minutes before running up.

Nope, not plugged in. Just did it again this morning to validate and though it was 17 degrees and not 11, it was still up to 150 degrees when I got in it after exactly 10 minutes of idle. It ran up to high idle almost immediately after cold start vs sometimes it low idles for like 2 minutes before running up.

That's impressive. I don't check the data center regularly, but my 15's temp gauge doesn't begin to move and the heat isn't warm until I've driven it, and 10 miles at 45mph average isn't enough. I'll try to remember to check the data center this weekend and see what the temp is.

Duane

I've come to the conclusion that the temp gauge in my '15 is worthless. It's nowhere near linear. If I want to know the temp, I pull up the digital display on the data center. Mine heats up a lot better than my '97 12 valve truck did, but it still takes a while. I think the Duramaxes & Powerstrokes heat up quicker.

Pete

I've come to the conclusion that the temp gauge in my '15 is worthless. It's nowhere near linear. If I want to know the temp, I pull up the digital display on the data center. Mine heats up a lot better than my '97 12 valve truck did, but it still takes a while. I think the Duramaxes & Powerstrokes heat up quicker.

Pete

Somebody once described the temp gauge in new vehicles as a "customer satisfaction gauge". With the computer dealing with everything, especially when it gets hot, it kinda makes sense. It wont let you ignore what a gauge says.

On a side not.

My truck is still in D status. Hasn't changed since I ordered it on 28 Dec. I got a VIN number about three days after ordering.

The wait continues.

Somebody once described the temp gauge in new vehicles as a "customer satisfaction gauge". With the computer dealing with everything, especially when it gets hot, it kinda makes sense. It wont let you ignore what a gauge says.

On a side not.

My truck is still in D status. Hasn't changed since I ordered it on 28 Dec. I got a VIN number about three days after ordering.

The wait continues.
A ford tech friend of mine described their gauges as nothing more than advanced idiot lights. Said thats all consumers these days need or can handle, I can't disagree

A ford tech friend of mine described their gauges as nothing more than advanced idiot lights. Said thats all consumers these days need or can handle, I can't disagree
With Forscan you can enable the digital numbers over the top of the gauges but I think Coolant temp is the only one that is useful, Turbo and Oil pressure don't have the option. Oil pressure is a literal pressure switch, not even sensor at all.

There is digital engine Oil temp and trans temps available in another screen that are sort of handy for pulling long grades.
But they aren't available for the constant gauge cluster positions.

I have high hopes for the '22 F150 gauge cluster to make it into the SuperDuty, it;s fully digital and might allow for more customization.

My 12v Cummins take about 30 minutes of driving before I’ll get any reasonable heat on a 10* morning if I didn’t plug it in, or about half of that if I plugged it in. Take about just as long if I high idle it @ ~1500rpm. I plug it in daily as my commute one way is about 25 minutes. What annoys me the most that it’ll literally lose all of heat if I let it to idle (I set its idle to ~1,000rpm) with the blower motor on max in no time. I’ll have heat almost immediately if I’m towing a car, however.

FWIW

Did you try covering the radiator?

Did you try covering the radiator?
Doesn’t matter.

For reference; It’ll run hardly any higher than ~160* (roughly via factory gauge) despite pulling 2 Jeeps at over 20,000lbs gcw in 100*F ambient with A/C blasting.

I went through 2 or 3 genuine Cummins thermostats, no change.

Not a HO or Dually but I am amazed they are still selling this truck with a warmed over gas engine transmission.
My dad has decided he wants a diesel, thinks this truck with 2016 technology is a good deal @ MSRP

1647987185481.jpeg

Not a HO or Dually but I am amazed they are still selling this truck with a warmed over gas engine transmission.
My dad has decided he wants a diesel, thinks this truck with 2016 technology is a good deal @ MSRP

1647987185481.jpeg
Uh, no thanks.

He doesn't want a Ford, you sure he's your dad?

I tried to set him up with my Ford contact the new car manager...
Dad said he went up to Ford today and priced a Lariat for $71k so the Ram might be off the table.
Yup, my Lariat 7.3 priced out around there. Local small town dealer is even a little under MSRP. Just not sure if or when it’s showing up.

I think he's talking about a diesel though.

I really, really, really want a new 7.3 Superduty but I don't actually need one. :frown:
Ahhh, zooming in and then coming back later threw me off. Guess if I dropped Ultimate, LEDs, and Surround Camera, it would offset the diesel cost. But I’m not touching a CP4 again.

1647987185481.jpeg
That's almost like my 18, the 48RE is good transmission for stock HP. Other than the DEF problems everything with DEF suffers from, it's a solid platform.

In 18 I paid $45k my tradesman with every option available. All the Bighorns they had around had leather seats which I don't like.

That's almost like my 18, the 48RE is good transmission for stock HP. Other than the DEF problems everything with DEF suffers from, it's a solid platform.

In 18 I paid $45k my tradesman with every option available. All the Bighorns they had around had leather seats which I don't like.
To me it's a tough sell for a $9500 engine option that is down on power and a literal light duty truck transmission from 2007?

Compare a 68rfe to a 6r140 or even a 10r140 and Allison 1000, they are not the same...

Like slowpoke says if it didn't have the Cummins they couldn't give them away.

If the "badass" trans comes with the "badass" engine in the other two/3 brands the "badass" engine in the Ram needs to be on par to earn the same price of entry.

$45k in '18 for a new diesel is a good price though and like you say a solid platform.

$45k in '18 for a new diesel is a good price though and like you say a solid platform.
^ Yes that really is! I paid $42k OTD in 2007 for an SLT Mega Cab 2500 that went 215k before needing any engine or transmission attention.

The HO Cummins and Aisin 6 was an $11,795 add on in '20 for my 3500 SRW; I just looked at the window sticker that I have floating around in my office desk.

^ Yes that really is! I paid $42k OTD in 2007 for an SLT Mega Cab 2500 that went 215k before needing any engine or transmission attention.

The HO Cummins and Aisin 6 was an $11,795 add on in '20 for my 3500 SRW; I just looked at the window sticker that I have floating around in my office desk.
Interesting on the Cummins pricing.
The 6.7 PowerStroke add on is $10,495 but no additional charge for the 10 speed transmission.

I have a 2022 ram 3500 drw. Other than lazy throttle (need to get a pedal commander) it's been awesome. Mine has the 50 gal tank which is pretty sweet other than when I need to fill it up. I had a 2014 megacab 2500 for a few years and never had any Trans problems with it, traded it in with like 160k miles. I also don't drive like an idiot and didn't tune it.

Truck has been built, waiting on a train ride to Port Allen,Tx.

Got the window sticker.........ouch.......I'm not paying the window sticker price, just a little over the dealer invoice. I went in and ordered it, so the dealer didn't have to do anything.

Top Back Refresh