What's new

2022 F250 7.3l metal in filter.

Thanks for the info. Really not wanting an engine rebuild by a goon at the dealer so let’s hope crate engines are available.

Yeah they weren't happy about the rebuild but the ambulance couldn't be out of service that long.
They've currently got three new chassis ordered for box remounts.
They all have the 7.3 and despite the issues they are dumping all their diesels in the fleet.

Sad that I need. A backup vehicle for a truck that costs $1100/month.
Agreed on sad. Having to use old junk as a backup for new junk sounds like zero fun. :barf:

Yeah they weren't happy about the rebuild but the ambulance couldn't be out of service that long.
They've currently got three new chassis ordered for box remounts.
They all have the 7.3 and despite the issues they are dumping all their diesels in the fleet.
Pick your poison. Newer diesels with emissions issues or gas engines with known oiling issues :confused:

Agreed on sad. Having to use old junk as a backup for new junk sounds like zero fun. :barf:

Pick your poison. Newer diesels with emissions issues or gas engines with known oiling issues :confused:
I regret not grabbing a 6.2l truck.

Damn, so much for big dumb cubic inch low tech reliable, maybe one of these decades they'll figure it out.

Thanks for the info. Really not wanting an engine rebuild by a goon at the dealer so let’s hope crate engines are available.
My friends that went at 50k got a crate short block at the dealer. They got it pretty quick but it took a lot of back and forth for them to diagnose the problem correctly and actually take action

A friend of a friend I talked to who is a service advisor for ford said they would cut the filter at his dealership, do an oil analysis and as long as I had records for the service it’s a done deal.

He said he had ford engineers just reject warranty on one that came in with a fram filter on it and no dealer services.

I know fram filters are junk, but if an engine has known issues this seemed pretty crappy.

Awesome news man! I hope its covered under warranty.

He said he had ford engineers just reject warranty on one that came in with a fram filter on it and no dealer services.

I know fram filters are junk, but if an engine has known issues this seemed pretty crappy.

The lack of records imply that the owner more than likely didn't do any services. I had a coworker who never changed his oil in 15-20k miles. He drove it to the shop and they said he had a bad engine and his warranty didn't cover it. Turned out to be a bad ac compressor clutch that had locked on and the compressor was shot, but giving the tell tail rod knock signs of slow cranking and knocking louder with idle. Needless to say, he now keeps perfect oil changes. :laughing:

Covecrawler Any updates to this issue?
Yes, Dropped the truck off for an 8:30 appointment Friday May 10th for excessive noise and an oil change. Was informed they drove the truck and all noises are normal and comparable to a truck with similar mileage. I asked them to go ahead and change the oil, cut the filter open, and share the filter media with me, and they offered to drive it some more so they could listen for the tick I described.

They had the truck ready for pickup 5/16. seemed ridiculous that an oil change took 6 days.

They tossed the filter media, but assured me there was no metal present. Assured me the noise is normal, and reported that there are multiple TSBs for normal noise in 7.3s. They drove the truck 2 miles. This left me insanely frustrated.

I've since been talking to a friend of a friend who is a service writer for ford in PA. He said there are no TSBs on the 7.3L for noise, except for maybe the oil pump drive gear? I shared my pics of the filter media from 10,091 miles, he told me I'm being jerked around by my local dealer and there is no reason for them to not just warranty the engine or lie about what they found.

He offered to warranty it if I want to drive a few hours. He has 3 at his dealer waiting for long blocks now.

Yes, Dropped the truck off for an 8:30 appointment Friday May 10th for excessive noise and an oil change. Was informed they drove the truck and all noises are normal and comparable to a truck with similar mileage. I asked them to go ahead and change the oil, cut the filter open, and share the filter media with me, and they offered to drive it some more so they could listen for the tick I described.

They had the truck ready for pickup 5/16. seemed ridiculous that an oil change took 6 days.

They tossed the filter media, but assured me there was no metal present. Assured me the noise is normal, and reported that there are multiple TSBs for normal noise in 7.3s. They drove the truck 2 miles. This left me insanely frustrated.

I've since been talking to a friend of a friend who is a service writer for ford in PA. He said there are no TSBs on the 7.3L for noise, except for maybe the oil pump drive gear? I shared my pics of the filter media from 10,091 miles, he told me I'm being jerked around by my local dealer and there is no reason for them to not just warranty the engine or lie about what they found.

He offered to warranty it if I want to drive a few hours. He has 3 at his dealer waiting for long blocks now.
That blows all around!

I installed a magnetic drain plug today, and plan to cut some more filters.

If they jerk me around much more I'll pursue Lemon Law, I have till the end of July.
I would suggest that you start the process now. The Lemon Law lawyers out there will let you know what kind of case you have.

Good luck with however you continue... :beer:

\
I would suggest that you start the process now. The Lemon Law lawyers out there will let you know what kind of case you have.

Good luck with however you continue... :beer:
Do I need a lawyer to do it?

Probably I guess.

Anytime I've searched online for VA's Lemon Law I've gotten 10 ads for ambulance chasing lawyers, that's not really what I'm looking for. Any recommendations?

\

Do I need a lawyer to do it?

Probably I guess.

Anytime I've searched online for VA's Lemon Law I've gotten 10 ads for ambulance chasing lawyers, that's not really what I'm looking for. Any recommendations?
With anything involving you're legal rights, I always suggest a lawyer. They know the game and it makes it easier in the long run. Unfortunately I do not have any recommendations for a lawyer in Virginia, however, after a little searching, I would suggest starting here:

They have a link for contacting Virginia State Bar's Lawyer Referral Service, among other things that may be useful to you.

That's pretty crappy man. Do you have another ford dealership you could take it to? I would definitely take it somewhere else in the future...

?
1000013306.jpg

I also use Blackstone for sample reports. We send about 10 samples a month and comes back with detailed info. Good to have in your records if they give you crap. With the quantity and size of the flakes in your oil I can tell it's starting to eat itself. Modern engines shouldn't make particulate like that when breaking in. If it's magnetic it's probably cam/lifters or a high pressure pump. If it's aluminum it's probably the oil pump.
Get ready to deal with it.
Could save a few hundred $$ a month going with LubeWatch or SOS.

A friend of a friend I talked to who is a service advisor for ford said they would cut the filter at his dealership, do an oil analysis and as long as I had records for the service it’s a done deal.

Fram filters haven't been "junk" in many years.

I have a 2023-7.3. Changed the oil and cut the filter open around 2700 miles, it had more flakes then I would like to see. Don't drive the truck much. I'm going to start doing changes and samples every 1000 miles.

Probably normal material for new engine break in period. Sparkles don't show up very well on camera.
20240525_094457.jpg

20240525_094605.jpg
20240525_094355.jpg

Last edited:
Wowza. So ford figured out the issue it looks like.

Wonder when the fix will be available for 21-23?

I think it’s too late for mine.
I wonder what the updated program does or fixes? I also wonder why the 22 7.3 isn't included?

Top Back Refresh