What's new

2022 F250 7.3l metal in filter.

Are you going by the oil change indicator? Any idea if it’s burning oil between changes?

Haven’t looked much into the 7.3s, but I thought they weren’t a AFM or DFM engine. Is that correct?

VVT is the only fancy gizmo inside I’m aware of.

Both oil changes were at 5k miles.

I’ve heard, but not confirmed the interval the dash recommends is 7500-8000.

Last edited:
The gas engine trucks have a 3/36k bumper to bumper and 5/60k engine warranty. There has been some chatter about the lifters failing, but that seems to be confined to trucks with tons of idle hours, and is rare on trucks driven normally. Facebook and youtube has the typical "these engines are junk" guys, but I would wager that it's a very small percentage that actually fail.

As for the tick, it seems to come with the territory, both of my 6.2 trucks and now my 23 7.3 have the tick. The dealer has always claimed it's normal, I dunno, I get rid of my trucks before they get out of warranty, because I don't want to spend 10k replacing an engine. So far I've had no issues, but for my situation, I prefer to just get a new truck every 3 years

The gas engine trucks have a 3/36k bumper to bumper and 5/60k engine warranty. There has been some chatter about the lifters failing, but that seems to be confined to trucks with tons of idle hours, and is rare on trucks driven normally. Facebook and youtube has the typical "these engines are junk" guys, but I would wager that it's a very small percentage that actually fail.

As for the tick, it seems to come with the territory, both of my 6.2 trucks and now my 23 7.3 have the tick. The dealer has always claimed it's normal, I dunno, I get rid of my trucks before they get out of warranty, because I don't want to spend 10k replacing an engine. So far I've had no issues, but for my situation, I prefer to just get a new truck every 3 years
Tick would not concern me, without the metal in the filter.

I cannot afford a new truck every 3-5 years. I can’t afford down time either. The point of a new truck was to avoid the down time dodge transmissions were causing.

Just to update. I drove the truck more yesterday and really paid close attention. Turned off the radio. There’s definitely a tick starting. It’s faint, no tick at idle outside the truck. But louder the higher the rpm’s go.

Sounds like it’s probably ferrous metal from the camshaft.

Did a sample on my Duramax at 100K
and a 4runner at 300K

Tick would not concern me, without the metal in the filter.

I cannot afford a new truck every 3-5 years. I can’t afford down time either. The point of a new truck was to avoid the down time dodge transmissions were causing.
Unfortunately, that seems to be where we are with all newer trucks, they sure as hell are not made to run 200k miles anymore without spending serious coin out of warranty. My 2022 and 2023 are pretty shitty compared even to what my 2019 was. I wish I could buy a brand new 2004 right now....

Unfortunately, that seems to be where we are with all newer trucks, they sure as hell are not made to run 200k miles anymore without spending serious coin out of warranty. My 2022 and 2023 are pretty shitty compared even to what my 2019 was. I wish I could buy a brand new 2004 right now....
On the 200k comment, I recall listening to a podcast with a Ford Engineer discussing the baby Power Stroke diesel. He said it was designed as a 150k mile engine. After that 150k mile mark, it would require some big ticket items to be fixed. So they have designed it to be obsolete.

I also use Blackstone for sample reports. We send about 10 samples a month and comes back with detailed info. Good to have in your records if they give you crap. With the quantity and size of the flakes in your oil I can tell it's starting to eat itself. Modern engines shouldn't make particulate like that when breaking in. If it's magnetic it's probably cam/lifters or a high pressure pump. If it's aluminum it's probably the oil pump.
Get ready to deal with it.

B
I also use Blackstone for sample reports. We send about 10 samples a month and comes back with detailed info. Good to have in your records if they give you crap. With the quantity and size of the flakes in your oil I can tell it's starting to eat itself. Modern engines shouldn't make particulate like that when breaking in. If it's magnetic it's probably cam/lifters or a high pressure pump. If it's aluminum it's probably the oil pump.
Get ready to deal with it.
Bought an 89 Chevy R3500 for a temp work truck while she gets fixed. If I like it enough I’ll dump the ford and go back to driving junk.

Isn't it like a 20w oil?

If you think oil viscosity is a problem then run thicker oil, as long you are using a viscosity for the ambient temp range you operate in I don't see a problem.
My point. After looking up various sites on oil thinning vs temperature, At Las Vegas summer temperatures, I felt the 20w oil was getting a bit thin and 30w was the better option. So far so good.

Sounds like your issue is lifters being that there is metal in the oil.

But since were talking about mystery ticks, my 6.2 ticked like crazy and I traced it down to the actuator for the variable intake runner length valve deal. It sounded like total valvetrain destruction and then once I unplugged that solenoid it went silent. Not sure if the 7.3's have the same failure prone nonsense.

Replacement program. 89’ R3500. 2009 LY6, 6L90e, transfercase just in case it needs to have a SD60 put under the front at some point.

Attachments

• F1EC3FFE-67C5-4E6F-9A61-2281C9FE9F4A.jpeg
    F1EC3FFE-67C5-4E6F-9A61-2281C9FE9F4A.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 40
  • 3F2D3756-E9AE-4818-98A8-24E326159DF8.jpeg
    3F2D3756-E9AE-4818-98A8-24E326159DF8.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 4ED8E22E-08A4-4F49-9F0A-A541A534362B.jpeg
    4ED8E22E-08A4-4F49-9F0A-A541A534362B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
B

Bought an 89 Chevy R3500 for a temp work truck while she gets fixed. If I like it enough I’ll dump the ford and go back to driving junk.
Have you started the dealer process?
Inquiring minds want to know how this will go, there are several on this site now with this engine that could use your input if they have a failure.

You are able to change your own oil. Just keep receipts and records.
I'm sure you meant it by "records" but date is required if you read the manual. Just says need to record date and mileage when service was done.

I know of three 7.3's that have been replaced or rebuilt.
The first was a 2020 tremor and he had a hassle getting it done at 60k miles.
Another is a 21 that's a plow/lawn truck. They swapped that without too much hassle.
My brother takes care of the ambulance fleet at the f.d. and they just had one rebuilt by the dealer because a motor was a ten week wait. That truck is a 450 and it has 40k miles on it.
My brothers personal truck is a 22 with 15k and no issues yet.

78065.jpeg

78063.jpeg

I don't think know if the problem has been solved or if Ford is just swapping motors.
I delt with a oil consumption issue on a 2018 5.0 in my wife's f150.
They changed the dipstick and said "we'll monitor things". It had a 100k warranty and I just poured oil in it regularly and traded it in right before the warranty was up.

I know of three 7.3's that have been replaced or rebuilt.
The first was a 2020 tremor and he had a hassle getting it done at 60k miles.
Another is a 21 that's a plow/lawn truck. They swapped that without too much hassle.
My brother takes care of the ambulance fleet at the f.d. and they just had one rebuilt by the dealer because a motor was a ten week wait. That truck is a 450 and it has 40k miles on it.
My brothers personal truck is a 22 with 15k and no issues yet.

78065.jpeg

78063.jpeg

I don't think know if the problem has been solved or if Ford is just swapping motors.
I delt with a oil consumption issue on a 2018 5.0 in my wife's f150.
They changed the dipstick and said "we'll monitor things". It had a 100k warranty and I just poured oil in it regularly and traded it in right before the warranty was up.
Thanks for the info. Really not wanting an engine rebuild by a goon at the dealer so let’s hope crate engines are available.

Top Back Refresh