What's new

1986 Chevrolet sm465 transmission with 10 spline adapter and figure 8 np205 transfer case done as long last

PAE

🚨 King of the Who ?🚨
Member Number
Loc
🚨
This SM 465 uses a custom shaft that let's me use a CUCV M1031 NP 205 transfer case of which I have a few spares, that basically means I can use the same transfer case on a T400 or the modified SM 465.

20230829_133003.jpg

SM465MainShaft.png

SM465-F.JPG.jpg

SM465-R.JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:
Patience dude,

These details will come to pass.

Ive already stated that the adapter is a 10 spline.

You can tell the us military all about a SM465 that has pto ports that they never used in any CUCV's.

The pto on a NP 205 is much more versatile than any pto on a sm465, has gears that vary the output speed, but you didnt consider that did ya ?

Thank god there arent pto outputs on 465s

All this time and money and 7 threads, and you dont even bolt the tcase up, show which adapter youre using, provide measurement or show the shafts side by side.....

Last edited:
Posted what I had available.

Throttle control is electronic, dont want electronic crap on my squares.

Beyond that I'm setting up a carrier bearing M1031 CUCV PTO so need the hookup from the NP205 as in its a more direct path (and more m1031 stock) from the PTO to the carrier bearing, hooking up the PTO from the sm465 would not work.

Other info was / is in past threads.

Last edited:
Does the future hold another separate thread about this Frankenstein shaft?

Why not keep it all in one thread?

Doesn't seem like anyone cares for this modification other than you.

Is this something you are trying to market and sale? If not we probably don't need another thread about this shaft you are extremely fond of.

Thanks for the tech.

Patience dude,

These details will come to pass.

You can tell the us military all about a SM465 that has pto ports that they never used in any CUCV's.

The pto on a NP 205 is much more versatile than any pto on a sm465, has gears that vary the output speed, but you didnt consider that did ya ?
Wait, werent you the one that was jumping up n down telling us this was a factory military combo in the first place?

Didnt you also tell/show us that the fig8 465/205 adapter was to thin to be milled out for the big brg?

And ultimately how much did you gain over the oe 10sp or oe long 32s factory setups?
Cause it wasnt more pto ports.

Well if everyone is hating I'll join in.

Bruh all that work and still no overdrive. I'll be passin ya in my 4L80 CUCV so I can get to my stop early and run my PTO gennie...

It's all cool stuff. Don't get me wrong. And looks like good work.

Just confused to why so many threads about this and always some veil over the info or tech.

Just curious to what the end game is. If it's tech, probably should just keep it all in one thread. Don't worry none of us have forgot that you had this shaft machined, we don't need a new thread every quarter.

Just curious to what the end game is.
the end game was to get a 465/205 so he had a pto output on the tcase...........

Now heres the dumb part.
He had a 10spl 205 and full setup, but thats not good enough cause my splines yo.

He had a fig8 32spl 205. But that dont fit.

this entire debackle is par for the coarse.
Take an easily acheivable solution and send it $3000 into left field.

the end game was to get a 465/205 so he had a pto output on the tcase...........

Now heres the dumb part.
He had a 10spl 205 and full setup, but thats not good enough cause my splines yo.

Don't forget about the bell housing and special w cross member.

Its in the first post.

Makes the T400 and SM465 universally compatible with the CUCV M1031 np205 transfer case.

Nothing more nothing less,

Nothing that newb said is factual has nothing to do with the PTO but does have to do with the fact that its not electronic at all.

The 10 spline adapter was a stand alone part that was nessassary to make the whole thing work and not all 10 spline adapters work as some are too thin, those are the ones that had core shift.

I never owned a 10 spline sm465 or a 10 spline np205 all cucv parts less the core sm465's.

Newb is just being a prick, dont know why he just doesnt understand why I do things the way I do and for some reason it seems to bug him.

Just curious to what the end game is.

Thats for the 1995 NV4500 I'm building.

Haven't purchased it yet as its about 1K shipped I'm guessing.

But it fits my needs nothing else would work with the way I have setup the transmission and or the way I want it setup.

No one seems to get my ideas but I'm not concerned about that so much I do things to suit myself not others [/END]

Don't forget about the bell housing and special w cross member.

Last edited:
But its not universaly compatable. It fits 1 and only 1 tcase it wont accept any other 205 now that is not that version. You could use a dodge23spl, 10 or 27s and just drop a 10er in there and gtg. Now the only thing it will work with is a big bore 32s case. So yesn if you happen to need another you need to buy one of the 2 most expensive cases or get to a machine and bore your small out.

You spent $1500 to solve a $200 problem. Nailed it.
Well if everyone is hating I'll join in.

Bruh all that work and still no overdrive. I'll be passin ya in my 4L80 CUCV so I can get to my stop early and run my PTO gennie...
Heres the solution to the emp proff though.......
My 4l80 was fmvb.

Im being a prick because you piss on a rope, then when you get called out for pissing on the rope, you say your not and continue to piss on the rope.

For all the shit i throw at you, you have managed to get 2 non existant things made. The input retainer and this shaft. Youve spent $5000 on 2 transmission but you have 2 things no one else does.

Cg didnt die, he just got shorter

A big bore 32 spline case is all thats required and I have more than I could ever require, I wouldn't throw a dodge case at it so not a problem there.

You seem to be bent (FMPOV) because I don't use your skewed logic I use my own logic, I use what works for me.

Last edited:

Now heres the dumb part.

Sounds like PAE has the time and the cash to make what he wants for himself and be content that way. Oh well.

Well whenever it's actually assembled PAE and in the truck....post up, in one of the threads you've already started. Not a new one:flipoff2:

When the EMP hits the last thing I'm worried about is my 4L80 shifting...

Fuck still not sure why you would spend so much time to salvage a CUCV generator setup and still end up with a 4 speed manual.

If you dont think of when the EMP hits then you will be on foot or horseback, enjoy that.

You dont need to understand WHY I do things the way I do.

When the EMP hits the last thing I'm worried about is my 4L80 shifting...

Fuck still not sure why you would spend so much time to salvage a CUCV generator setup and still end up with a 4 speed manual.

You mean like all the people before the industrial revolution? Seems like that's a better plan then building a non-overdrive CUCV. Maybe you should work on your riding skills instead 🐴

This all seems a bit too tin foil hat for me at this point. I'm out.

I own a horse that could tow your DD truck I would bet I have been riding longer than most here have been alive.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

My non electronic truck would run much better than your fried 4L80 pos dead truck.

You mean like all the people before the industrial revolution? Seems like that's a better plan then building a non-overdrive CUCV. Maybe you should work on your riding skills instead 🐴

This all seems a bit too tin foil hat for me at this point. I'm out.

I've never played with military squares. Only a shit ton of civilian. I want to see this 205 that can bolt to a t400 and figure 8 adapter. Or am I confused on what's going on here?

Reactions: PAE
Nope this description is spot on the 4x4 T400 (with its adapter) and the SM 465 with the shortened main shaft and the modified (for np205 from m1031 cucv) and the 10 spline sm465 / np205 adapter and its hot swappable.

Im using the factory Muncie PTO with the carrier bearing and shaft that the stock M1031 used to power a 12kw generator in the bed.

The trucks that these are going into have the SM 465 but I built it this way so if I wanted to could swap back in the T400 that originally came in this 1986 M1031 CUCV, the 1984 didn't use the correct cab mount crossmember to mount the carrier bearing setup.

More pics asap, its currently at the builders cabin up in Magalia (BurnDownTown north)

I've never played with military squares. Only a shit ton of civilian. I want to see this 205 that can bolt to a t400 and figure 8 adapter. Or am I confused on what's going on here?

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh