What's new

1973 Travelall 1010 - Slammed Family Cruiser Build.

OK boys. Wife is flying out of town tonight. I have a new HF spray gun, paint and plastic. Hold me accountable for this!!!

Goal is prep tonight , hang plastic, blow out garage, clean floors, stack shit out of the way, first wipe/scrub down since its been so long. Maybe hit roof tomorrow, but that seems optimistic. Ill get the heat up to 75 tonight either way.

OK boys. Wife is flying out of town tonight. I have a new HF spray gun, paint and plastic. Hold me accountable for this!!!

Goal is prep tonight , hang plastic, blow out garage, clean floors, stack shit out of the way, first wipe/scrub down since its been so long. Maybe hit roof tomorrow, but that seems optimistic. Ill get the heat up to 75 tonight either way.

Fuck yeah, looking forward to how turns out man.

Also, hope you are not trying to use a pellet stove to heat it up. :flipoff2::laughing:

Fuck yeah, looking forward to how turns out man.

Also, hope you are not trying to use a pellet stove to heat it up. :flipoff2::laughing:
It works freaking great! But no... Not with paint fumes 😂 I put one of those cheap mini splits in last year.

I can walk down both sides of the truck. Floor has a first sweep done. And I built some cribbing to put planks on to reach the roof.

20221212_192536.jpg

Thaw the mini with a garden hose, do whatever you need to to pre heat that bitch, camp stove, camp fire, diesel fuel in a drum, whatever, keep forward progress:smokin:

Does she run? Start it and let it warm up.

Or drag it out and pull your other truck in

Thaw the mini with a garden hose, do whatever you need to to pre heat that bitch, camp stove, camp fire, diesel fuel in a drum, whatever, keep forward progress:smokin:

Does she run? Start it and let it warm up.

Or drag it out and pull your other truck in
Have not started it lately.... No exhaust at all yet, And I think I am out of gas....:lmao:

I will fire up the pellet stove this afternoon if the mini didn't thaw. IDK why they don't have an automatic de ice cycle. I think I remember the button they told me to hit last time.... I guess that's what you get for being a cheap unit. I think it was hit the Eco button 10x to start a defrost cycle....

Have not started it lately.... No exhaust at all yet, And I think I am out of gas....:lmao:

I will fire up the pellet stove this afternoon if the mini didn't thaw. IDK why they don't have an automatic de ice cycle. I think I remember the button they told me to hit last time.... I guess that's what you get for being a cheap unit. I think it was hit the Eco button 10x to start a defrost cycle....

I'm not judging, I spent last night at my gfs to come home to find this :laughing:
20221213_053931.jpg
:laughing:

It wasn't even cold last night, 40f, but raining

Last winter was my first with them, it showed "dfst" a couple times in the low 30s" but never iced up. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come

I'm not judging, I spent last night at my gfs to come home to find this :laughing:
20221213_053931.jpg
:laughing:

It wasn't even cold last night, 40f, but raining

Last winter was my first with them, it showed "dfst" a couple times in the low 30s" but never iced up. Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come
Yep..... Looks familiar :mad3:

Most of the masking hung. A couple more pieces once cat is evicted.

Truck is all masked. Probably going to leave the stove on low all night.

Paint is all out. Need stir sticks and mixing cups.

Thinking 1\2 Oz black and 2oz pearl in 1quart clear for the lace. Thoughts?

20221213_193151.jpg

20221213_193140.jpg

20221213_170015.jpg

Site glitch back to Tuesday? Did this big bitch get any paint?

lol it never happened. You just had to do some more sanding and push it off to this weekend. Wink wink :lmao::flipoff2:
:flipoff2::flipoff2:not this weekend.... I have a lot more sanding still. Every time it dries I see more shit. Plus the door frames are a royal BITCH.

Repost off another forum....

Well I got. Home I about 3 hours later than planned.... Gonna have to shoot late this evening.

How hot is too hot for the panels..... pellet stove did good.

1671052993_20221214_131959_mmthumb.jpg

I turned the stove off. It's too hot to work.

But it's masked. Has a second going thru with wax and grease.

Planks set up both sides!

1671056746_20221214_135536_mmthumb.jpg

Well fuck me running. I couldn't get the gun dialed in. Thought maybe it was just something in the airline when I started (I literally just broke the stupid plastic filter....) Its everywhere. Should have stopped while I was ahead..... Guess I am back to sanding. Ugh. Im depressed now.

52563622647_01496919db_h.jpg

52564360924_689898f501_h.jpg

Only thing I could come up with was lacquer thinner to clean up the seam sealer? But that was months ago.

The only smooth spot....

52564537270_34902b9682_h.jpg

Rough and fish eyes....

52564082716_4ed443e438_h.jpg

Guess I wont be doing another coat tonight or clear tomorrow....

Spoke at length with SPI tech. Berry is awesome, again.

He looked at the pictures, its hard to diagnose over pictures and the phone, but here is his best ideas. First, likely contamination. I wiped the roof, the contaminants were wicked up into the solution, which ran down the sides and dried there before I could wipe it back off. I did wipe the sides down too, but possibly big deposits in those areas were hard to re-lift after it dried.

Laquer thinner, it was months ago, but similar idea, he said since it flashes even faster than wax a grease it deposits contaminants even more in a similar manner. But it should be well flashed off and the not the root issue.

We talked air lines and filters, I did not drain my tank (petcock i think is stuck, and VERY hard to access. I do have a water trap (T with 6" pipe and ball vlave) just after the flex coming out of the compressor. I did open that, not real water. Then it goes thru my "cooler"
(big coller coil thing) and into another water trap. Then rises ~4' into a typical water oil separator/regulator (admiditally a cheap one). Then my 1/2" hose to the gun. I did try adding my dessicant filter right at the gun after the first issues showed up. No change. Tried a different gun, no change.

So the reg/filter may not catch tiny particles. I did not use a little round filter at the gun, but Berry said they are pretty useless anyway. Perhaps part of the issue. I will try to drain the tank.

Berry wiht SPI suggests wet sanding wiht 800 or 600 at most to knock it all back to smooth. Then shooting another coat over it. I also would not have had nearly enough paint to do two coats. I used 1.5 qts sprayable, and did not even have enough to do the windshiled frame around the bottom. I also think I was putting it on too thin.... The one good spot is on the back window frame, where its tight to the garage door, I think I was much closer to the panel and put a lot more on. That 3"x18" strip is glossy and smooth!

I need to get this thing done. I was on a roll, feeling excited. Last night sucked. A lot. I scheduled today off to shoot clear and do the lace :( I still feel a bit crappy. But that wont help anything. My wife comes home (part of why I could get things done is no one complains about long hours in the garage) tomrrow.... I will try to keep making progress. I ordered 2 more quarts of white, one more grey just in case. and SPI's wax and grease remover. Just in case again. More $$, and now go wet sand for berkeleying hours. Of course the door frames are all rounded and curvey.

Need to stop and buy paper on the way home. And a new DA.....

Update:

Lets ruin some paint.

52566666652_5ec2318e32_b.jpg

Half way. This sander is grumpy.

52567653938_d1b9d8a53e_b.jpg

Mostly done

52567653818_ef975c151e_b.jpg

Sander needed help..... Plugged the dust holes.

52567653868_ba5c8c2704_b.jpg

Apparently this "sealed" bearing wasn't very sealed. It was packed to the point of being jammed up and not moving. Tried without seals..... Got a lot of grey water coming out.... I don't want to contaminate this more, so seals went back on.

52566666607_b13a8661ac_b.jpg

Roof sanded and given a quick wipe off.

52567130236_4bcb0ab09d_b.jpg

I'm in the sanding phase :lmao:

That was color coat, then 6 clears over it, two with tint/pearl over lace. Did not get to clear.....
What little I know about painting vehicles;
One sands the primer paint, the final paint, and the finishing coat(s).

I didn't know which phase you were in.:homer:

What little I know about painting vehicles;
One sands the primer paint, the final paint, and the finishing coat(s).

I didn't know which phase you were in.:homer:
One sands primer, sometimes paint, and buffs clear. and fuck I thought I was done sanding.

Top Back Refresh