What's new

1962 Mercury ADHD build

Seriously? :lmao: I reread the original thread at the old place a while back, and I think it ends with discussion of a V10 swap, thats 3-4 years ago now I think. Thats wild that the 5.4 is still holding strong
yep still the same 5.4 and he does not want to do the v10 swap. last summer he put a tree through the rad (fist size hole) and ran it for over an hour to get off the trail. put a new rad in and still good to go. he also did a high speed 3 time barrel roll at maylong and the cage is all messed up now so is talking about either doing a new cage or starting a new build.

this last trip was 5 rigs
Welfare is stock 5.4 2v that will just not die
Durkota is a built up 360 that easy 500hp
TJ was stock 4.0 but deep gearing with atlas and black box combo
Bronco was done up 6.0ls
Then myself with the raw power of the stock 302 :lmao:
That's awesome, quite the variety

Guy i know DD's a 4.6 2v f150 that has almost 400k on it he beats it like rented mule. Its crazy how those modulars are either good or they aint.

That's awesome, quite the variety

Guy i know DD's a 4.6 2v f150 that has almost 400k on it he beats it like rented mule. Its crazy how those modulars are either good or they aint.
haha thats me too!! my 4.6 is over 400Km 7K lbs on tons and 37"s slow as fuck. lives with the pedal in the mat :lmao: aside from 2 blown out plugs she keeps coming back for more :grinpimp: when it finally blows up, its getting a 2v 5.4 and the same abuse :usa:

so this weekend was the first time ive said this truck needs deeper gears, only reason was the shit snow conditions that could not crawl. every other time out ive been happy with the gears but say i need more power every time i drive this. was going to do a 351 but after price of getting another motor, intake, flywheel, gaskets and misc parts to swap im thinking of staying 302. my motor runs great with no oil consumption ect so just thinking of tossing a cam in it even if flat tappet. doing a cam is still cheaper then the 351 plus no fab work of redoing the exhaust. should be able to hit just under 300hp with my current motor and over that later when do some nice heads. with the 4speed it needs more power in the 2000+ rpm range so looking at these two cam options.

For them stock choker heads I wouldn't go too big, youll give up too much for too little gain elsewhere, maybe that 1st one?
Def headers also

I'm not a 302 guy, I still think you should just swap in a junkyard 460 instead of sinking 302 $

For them stock choker heads I wouldn't go too big, youll give up too much for too little gain elsewhere, maybe that 1st one?
Def headers also

I'm not a 302 guy, I still think you should just swap in a junkyard 460 instead of sinking 302 $
already have headers and dual plane intake on current 302. yes the heads will be holding back the motor and want to do a nice set of aluminum but not in the budget right now but a cam is and will be even better once i do heads

not looking to do a 460 as been there and dont want the extra weight and cooling issues. plus that puts me back into the issues same as a 351 of needing intake, bellhousing, clutch, reseal kit new exhaust ect

yep still the same 5.4 and he does not want to do the v10 swap. last summer he put a tree through the rad (fist size hole) and ran it for over an hour to get off the trail. put a new rad in and still good to go. he also did a high speed 3 time barrel roll at maylong and the cage is all messed up now so is talking about either doing a new cage or starting a new build.

I can see the V10 swap maybe not being worth the work. I mean maybe if you found a whole donor truck and just swapped it over.

How cheap are 6.2 super duty's up there?

I think that engine and trans would be great in a crawler. Deep 1st gear and good power in what I assume to be a relatively light package.

That or his axles under a 5.0 F150, or even ecoboost :flipoff2:

As far as your power issues with this build. Just leave it alone and finish your buggy! :smokin:

already have headers and dual plane intake on current 302. yes the heads will be holding back the motor and want to do a nice set of aluminum but not in the budget right now but a cam is and will be even better once i do heads

not looking to do a 460 as been there and dont want the extra weight and cooling issues. plus that puts me back into the issues same as a 351 of needing intake, bellhousing, clutch, reseal kit new exhaust ect

Makes sense, If planning on heads later I say go with the larger of the two you posted. Your running efi so hopefully no weird tuning issues down low with lower vacuum signal

I can see the V10 swap maybe not being worth the work. I mean maybe if you found a whole donor truck and just swapped it over.

How cheap are 6.2 super duty's up there?

I think that engine and trans would be great in a crawler. Deep 1st gear and good power in what I assume to be a relatively light package.

That or his axles under a 5.0 F150, or even ecoboost :flipoff2:

As far as your power issues with this build. Just leave it alone and finish your buggy! :smokin:

he has a complete v10 parts truck. even then hes talking about just taking that truck and building Welfare 2.0 with it. would back half it and try and drop some weight then just swap his 5.4 and trans ect in to that chassis. or build a sport trac with his diffs

you keep that buggy talk out of here, sure thats the smart thing to do but im not smart. plus plans for buggy have changed so need more money now to finish it and redo half of what ive already done

you keep that buggy talk out of here, sure thats the smart thing to do but im not smart. plus plans for buggy have changed so need more money now to finish it and redo half of what ive already done
Oooof :homer:

An Explorer 302 with a cam would be the best bet. You can buy a roller cam and not have to do that twice.The explorer heads would also be an upgrade. A 347 stroker with aluminum heads would have good power and be reasonably light.

AL heads 1200
cam lifters chain springs 500
Misc. 300
$2000 for ~300-350 hp, 350 tq

347 kit 1200
AL heads 1200
block machining 500
cam lifters chain rockers rods 1000
Misc. 300
$4200 ish to get ~350-400hp, 400tq

An Explorer 302 with a cam would be the best bet. You can buy a roller cam and not have to do that twice.The explorer heads would also be an upgrade. A 347 stroker with aluminum heads would have good power and be reasonably light.
its pretty hard to find 5.0 exploders around my area as im always looking for one. even just a set of used gt40 heads go for close to price of some aftermarket heads

AL heads 1200
cam lifters chain springs 500
Misc. 300
$2000 for ~300-350 hp, 350 tq

347 kit 1200
AL heads 1200
block machining 500
cam lifters chain rockers rods 1000
Misc. 300
$4200 ish to get ~350-400hp, 400tq
forgot that im in Canada so pricing is little off. im looking at the Promaxx heads and with new rockers its about 2000 for a set. cam set up with related parts is 700. id be more then happy with 300ish hp in this truck for the wheelling its going to be seeing

he has a complete v10 parts truck. even then hes talking about just taking that truck and building Welfare 2.0 with it. would back half it and try and drop some weight then just swap his 5.4 and trans ect in to that chassis. or build a sport trac with his diffs

Put the 5.4 in the V10 truck? Is the V10 blowd up?

Guess I can harass you in the buggy thread? :flipoff2:

What's the new plans?

Guess I can harass you in the buggy thread? :flipoff2:

What's the new plans?

that thread is still dead. new plan is less trail more race now that i have the Merc to trail ride. so want to move the rad and fuel cell and go with 16" rear shocks to gain more travel. to get the extra travel i need to fix the short rear drive shaft so that means going to a 205 over the 271 tcase. to get gearing back will swap the c6 trans for a 6r80, already have the controller and harness just need the rest of the parts for the swap

that thread is still dead. new plan is less trail more race now that i have the Merc to trail ride. so want to move the rad and fuel cell and go with 16" rear shocks to gain more travel. to get the extra travel i need to fix the short rear drive shaft so that means going to a 205 over the 271 tcase. to get gearing back will swap the c6 trans for a 6r80, already have the controller and harness just need the rest of the parts for the swap

I really like the idea of the newer 6 and 8 speed autos for a crawler. The ~4:1 1st is a huge difference over the old ~2.5:1s while not sacrificing top end in low range.

6R is a game changer for sure. Can do 100 mph in low range with 0.69 6th. (4.10/40s)
Could never go back to 3 spd.

Just money

and yes you are delinquent on the buggy.:flipoff2:

6R is a game changer for sure. Can do 100 mph in low range with 0.69 6th. (4.10/40s)
Could never go back to 3 spd.

Just money

and yes you are delinquent on the buggy.:flipoff2:
you doing the install with such a good wright up was the pushing factor for doing the swap for sure. will be nice to use 4low and not be banging limiter in 3rd. even with going to a 205 and loosing some gearing there i will gain more in the trans and be deeper then im currently.

looking at this adapter as little cheaper and dont have the big converter spacer while still using the v8 trans and can get it unlike the Performance auto v6 one

and yes very delinquent on the buggy as 661 days since ive worked on it, as its currently an expensive storage unit in my shop :homer:

you doing the install with such a good wright up was the pushing factor for doing the swap for sure. will be nice to use 4low and not be banging limiter in 3rd. even with going to a 205 and loosing some gearing there i will gain more in the trans and be deeper then im currently.

looking at this adapter as little cheaper and dont have the big converter spacer while still using the v8 trans and can get it unlike the Performance auto v6 one

and yes very delinquent on the buggy as 661 days since ive worked on it, as its currently an expensive storage unit in my shop :homer:
Sweet! Added to the wishlist. You got me thinking I'll be putting a 6R80 behind my 400 in the next year or so..

Ironically I was just reading this , and its highlights the pitfalls of the PA kit on a SBF, not sure if the BBF is better. Food for thought

Ironically I was just reading this , and its highlights the pitfalls of the PA kit on a SBF, not sure if the BBF is better. Food for thought
ya have heard that about the sbf one. doesnt seem to be an issue with the bbf version but sounds like the wait time on the Performance Automotive one is crazy long and im not a fan of the stud adapters for the converter as well. the Performance Adapters one i listed above seems to be pretty new to the 6r80/bbf game but looks to be better quality and i emailed them and got a reply in minutes while i still cant get a reply from PA.

How does the 6r80 rank vs a c6, e4od, 4r100?

My gut reaction is why a "1/2t" trans, but I guess they came with almost 400hp and ~12k lb tow rating from the factory.

6R80 is the best option in ford trans right now as its size is almost same as c6 and 4r70w, the e4od and 4r100 are very big and long trans. the 5.0 truck guys are doing boosted 1000hp through a stock 6r80 no problem and can get rebuild kits for 1500hp so no problem there at all

6R80 is the best option in ford trans right now as its size is almost same as c6 and 4r70w, the e4od and 4r100 are very big and long trans. the 5.0 truck guys are doing boosted 1000hp through a stock 6r80 no problem and can get rebuild kits for 1500hp so no problem there at all

I guess I can beat on the wife's truck a little harder now :laughing:

I like the 6 speeds a lot. I'm going to put one in my crawler one way or another. Had been leaning towards the 6l80e, but maybe I'll dive into these more.

Edit: apparently they are sister transmissions?

Who would have thought ford and gm would partner on transmissions :laughing:

Yup, codesigned the 6 speeds together.

Weird what happens when the government buys auto manufacturers and forcing harsher ratings down their throats :shaking:

Rant over, the 6spds are pretty sweet. 6r140 will be sweet when the controllers become common for them

My 11 expedition has a 6R80 behind the 5.4, compared to my 05 F250 with 5.4/5R110, the expo moves right along

Top Back Refresh