What's new

'05+ Ford Super Duty Dana 60 Axle Tech & Info

I'm running 16.5" H1's with 3.5" backspacing stamped steel centers on my 06 D60. Caliper clearance is tighter than a nun's legs on Christmas, but they fit without grinding.

Are you running high steer? If so which one? How much clearance?

I'm not sure if anyone on here is running the emf ball joints, I just bought a set today after bending spicer and mevotech uppers last weekend. They are very nice looking and the machine work is quality, however, the dust boots are hard plastic. This will be an issue for anyone running caster/camber bushings in the c that put the stud at an angle to achieve the setting. I am going to pick up a 3/4, 1 ,1 1/4, 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 degree adjusters and be using the highest version that keeps the stud straight as I want as much caster as possible to run pinion angle higher than it is. I will also be trying to find some rubber dust boots for them.

I'm not sure if anyone on here is running the emf ball joints, I just bought a set today after bending spicer and mevotech uppers last weekend. They are very nice looking and the machine work is quality, however, the dust boots are hard plastic.

This will be an issue for anyone running caster/camber bushings in the c that put the stud at an angle to achieve the setting.

I am going to pick up a 3/4, 1 ,1 1/4, 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 degree adjusters and be using the highest version that keeps the stud straight as I want as much caster as possible to run pinion angle higher than it is.

I will also be trying to find some rubber dust boots for them.

Good to know.

Please keep us posted on your progress. :beer:

Little update on the EMF balljoints. I found that 1° bushings just offset the upper without having the joint swivel, with these, their included dust covers will work. anything beyond that and they will not
20200530_093548.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20200530_093548.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.8 KB ID:	21942
. EMF is working on a solution, so far I have found a couple of energy suspension dust boots that have close dimensions and will arrive tomorrow. I will probably stick with the 1° bushings regardless since I beat on this thing and I think the 2.5° bushings I ran previously contributed to me bending my upper studs.

20200530_093548.jpg

20200529_182541.jpg

Last edited:
Are you running high steer? If so which one? How much clearance?

I'm running a really early Jesse Haines Fab kit. Plenty of clearance with the 3.5" BS H1s, but I had minor issues with the set of OEM 18" steelies I bought for rollers. Picture of the aforementioned nuns legs clearance attached as well.

IMG_20200602_111413.jpg

IMG_20200602_111433.jpg

Is there enough meat on the caliper there to grind and gain some clearance?

From what I saw in the old PBB thread with guys grinding them, I think so, I didn't grind mine though. There's also a couple brackets from various vendors floating around now to put Wilwood calipers on the 05+ stuff if you really needed more.

Just an FYI, you can not use seals-it axle seals on these unless you feel like opening up the id of the seal housing, the 1.57" sealing area will not pass through it. If you are planning on using them for your build you can just omit that on your custom shafts. Also the fit of their 2.625 housings are a little too loose in the bore of the case on these axles for my comfort.

Anyone have any experience with the cheaper unit bearings? Would I be asking for trouble or do they hold up fine?

Anyone have any experience with the cheaper unit bearings? Would I be asking for trouble or do they hold up fine?

No experience with cheapies, but with timkens being available for about 200, I wouldn't bother with the unkown chinesium. I have had experience with timken warrantying out a set of jk unit bearing that were abused for over a year.

I'll go with the newbie questions for someone 'stuck' in the kingpin ecosystem(four Dodges across three rigs) to go to 2005+:

7) Worth going from WelderBill knuckles?

Anyone who has never run Bill's knuckles will never understand this unfortunately

And even some people that have em don't get it.

We have Bills Knuckles in everything and even bought some of his very first ones.

His stuff is top notch and he's a hella cool guy...

Love me some Welder Bill stuff!

If Bill took the time to lay out some of this BJ stuff and get it out there people wouldn't buy REID or TG and they wouldn't be paying for machine work on crappy cast knuckles.

Unfortunately he just doesn't have the money layin around to sit on 10 plus sets of knuckles while everyone Heems and Haws over their shit instead of just buyin quality stuff.

Ya they cost a bit more...But you get something different ...They're one offs and tuned right there in his shop.

Best money I have ever spent...Flat out.

Last edited:
7) Worth going from WelderBill knuckles?
<snip>
We have Bills Knuckles in everything and even bought some of his very first ones.

His stuff is top notch and he's a hella cool guy...

<snip>

Ya they cost a bit more...But you get something different ...They're one offs and tuned right there in his shop.

Best money I have ever spent...Flat out.
Thank you for taking the time for all that typing :) I LOVE dealing with Bill for my axle needs.
I've got an HP WelderBill axle in a project. I just keep jumping on and off the fence on whether to 'bail' from the king pin system. I'm fairly certain that Bill's knuckles are much stronger than any other aftermarket knuckle and maybe stronger than the SuperDuty knuckles. I had only heard of one failure and that was Camo(ripped steering arm)

6) Worth going from 35 spline yukon chromo?
Two of my axles are 3430 chromo with Yukon locking hubs. One is stock with spicer 35 spline outers.

Thank you for taking the time for all that typing :) I LOVE dealing with Bill for my axle needs.
I've got an HP WelderBill axle in a project. I just keep jumping on and off the fence on whether to 'bail' from the king pin system. I'm fairly certain that Bill's knuckles are much stronger than any other aftermarket knuckle and maybe stronger than the SuperDuty knuckles. I had only heard of one failure and that was Camo(ripped steering arm)

Two of my axles are 3430 chromo with Yukon locking hubs. One is stock with spicer 35 spline outers.

Bill told me about one other bit while I was up there one of the last few times...A bent knuckle or something of the sort...Rigged it up in the press and tuned it up, made it work again.

One other thing...If you watch carefully they show up on CL because people think they're some Booty Fab shit...

ALL BOOTY:flipoff2:

Snatch em up if they pop up.

On another note. got some 03 knuckles back for WONTONJEEP from WEAVER FAB.

Billy Bad Ass stuff...Last Ca set lol...He's movin to Tennessee.

BUY WEAVERS STUFF FAWKERS:flipoff2:

Not sure if it's been said yet, but 16" wheels will hit the brakes on newer axles. I tried to put my factory 2005 roller wheels on my 2016 axles and it just won't fit

Not sure if it's been said yet, but 16" wheels will hit the brakes on newer axles. I tried to put my factory 2005 roller wheels on my 2016 axles and it just won't fit

you meen 2004? 2005 and up require 17's. 16" wheels not an option on 4x4 05+ trucks. I do suppose you could have grabbed 2x4 wheels might have still been 16's

you mean 2004? 2005 and up require 17's. 16" wheels not an option on 4x4 05+ trucks. I do suppose you could have grabbed 2x4 wheels might have still been 16's

its from a 2005 excursion. they still used leafs. I found some 18s for 80$ so its all good now.

Huge thanks for putting this together everyone. I just finished stripping my first 05+ SD axle. It's a pain, I wish I borrowed a porta-band. I used:

- Plasma Torch
- Sawzall
- cutoff wheels
- 4" & 7" grinders
- BFH

Took me about 8 hours. I spent a lot of time on the driver side castings that could have been avoided with a porta-band.

Anybody adapt the mount to run a more standard coil on these while keeping the factory radius arm brackets?

Buddy is going to swap one into his Bronco, and I would like to pick one up to update the 60 in my Ranger someday.

I already know the answer is coilovers :flipoff2:

Anybody adapt the mount to run a more standard coil on these while keeping the factory radius arm brackets?

Buddy is going to swap one into his Bronco, and I would like to pick one up to update the 60 in my Ranger someday.

I run XJ coils on my '99 Ranger with James Duff fullwidth coil buckets with very little coil lean. I may one day explore a little stiffer coil but for now they work great.

On my project, (which started as a Bronco) I just bolted the perches and springs from the TTB on the 60. (Same threads) The springs definitely leaned, but it worked. I changed to air bags later, so can't comment on the ride.

This is a bit of an idiot newb question but if you go with matching F/R Ford axles, does anyone sell a rear hub already machined with the tone ring (52 tooth preferably) pressed on?

It's not a big deal to get it machined down, was just curious if someone sold something already done.

This is a bit of an idiot newb question but if you go with matching F/R Ford axles, does anyone sell a rear hub already machined with the tone ring (52 tooth preferably) pressed on?

It's not a big deal to get it machined down, was just curious if someone sold something already done.

I guess I'm going to ask a idiot question. When you say matching, do you mean front 60 and rear Sterling? If so, the tone ring is all ready in the sterling with a speed sensor. Maybe you are talking front and rear 60's. (Rear steer) if so your question makes more sense. And, I'm sorry, I have no answer.

I guess I'm going to ask a idiot question. When you say matching, do you mean front 60 and rear Sterling? If so, the tone ring is all ready in the sterling with a speed sensor. Maybe you are talking front and rear 60's. (Rear steer) if so your question makes more sense. And, I'm sorry, I have no answer.

I do mean front 60 rear Sterling. I thought it depended on the year of the rear axle. I see 2008-2009 rear's (Sterling) with the big tone ring on the carrier and some newer ones with the tone right on the hub. Artec and a bunch of others have 52 tooth and 60 tooth tone rings that get pressed onto the Sterling hub so you can have working ABS/Speedo/Etc. and not mess up the computer. All that is specifically for a JK.

JK stuff works plug and play on Gen 2 Nissan stuff (Frontier and Xterra) so by my way of thinking, if it works for that then it'll work for me and I can have a dash not looking like Christmas morning.

I do mean front 60 rear Sterling. I thought it depended on the year of the rear axle. I see 2008-2009 rear's (Sterling) with the big tone ring on the carrier and some newer ones with the tone right on the hub. Artec and a bunch of others have 52 tooth and 60 tooth tone rings that get pressed onto the Sterling hub so you can have working ABS/Speedo/Etc. and not mess up the computer. All that is specifically for a JK.

JK stuff works plug and play on Gen 2 Nissan stuff (Frontier and Xterra) so by my way of thinking, if it works for that then it'll work for me and I can have a dash not looking like Christmas morning.

Not aware of the tone ring on the hub. I guess it's part of the disc brake? I suppose they have one on both sides so the computer can tell which wheel is spinning or locked? Sounds unnecessarily complicated to me. But I guess that's where the world is going.

The later axles, 2011+ I believe, but could be mistaken, have 4 channel ABS/stability control systems and have the sensors at the wheels on the Sterlings, although I am not sure if this is true across the board. I think some axles had them and some did not. The older stuff is definitely a single tone ring on the carrier. I don't know enough to answer westracing01's question though.

The later axles, 2011+ I believe, but could be mistaken, have 4 channel ABS/stability control systems and have the sensors at the wheels on the Sterlings, although I am not sure if this is true across the board. I think some axles had them and some did not. The older stuff is definitely a single tone ring on the carrier. I don't know enough to answer westracing01's question though.

Correct, 2011+ hubs have tone rings already on them and will swap onto 99+ sterling axles, I have some on an 08 rear axle. They are 55 tooth tone rings. IF you rung 2011+ front unit bearings, they will also have the same tooth count. I am running this setup on a jk and it works well, just needed a slight adjustment to the tire size in the tuner to compensate and make the speedometer read perfect.

Top Back Refresh