What's new

Win!

can a blow up expert explain the process of the sparkly cord
why it goes all over then zooms off, then it all booms at once

I know accent guy explained it, but I'm just not getting it :laughing:

Different fuse burn rates from main line to the various branches.
A ton of math involved to ensure equal detonation.

So they used the old school det coord for this explosion. So this stuff was designed to be used for blasting rock in quarry’s. When you blast rock you want to have a 2-3 millisecond pause between each hole to give the rock time to move and make a better blast.

Now to do this you run the mainline around to all the holes in the order you want it to fire. The rate at which the mainline burns is the timing between holes. When the main line burns past where each hole is starts the burning for each hole. Each hole has delay before they go off of 17-20 milliseconds.

This allows the main line to be burning way far away before the hole pops cutting the main line.

So the problem is to get all the holes to go off at the same time you need to do some fuckery. The timing of each of the sticks only come in a few different delays 17 ms 20ms ect. So I’m guessing what they did was bunch as many of the say 25millisec delay fuses in one spot then they need to burn up the correct time (length of main line) to match the first set with the next set of delays say 22millisecs and so on.

So when you see it burn off camera that’s where they had the extra main line laying so it wasn’t lying on top of itself (cut itself when burning) to use up extra time to match the last few sets of delays.

They only make so many delays so you don’t get every millisecond delay from say 25 to 0. You get 25 21 17 ect. They did the math right as the car disappeared.

Now if they would have used electric timers it would have been way easier, that is if the computer allowed you to set all the charges off at once.

Pretty cool

So they used the old school det coord for this explosion. So this stuff was designed to be used for blasting rock in quarry’s. When you blast rock you want to have a 2-3 millisecond pause between each hole to give the rock time to move and make a better blast.

Now to do this you run the mainline around to all the holes in the order you want it to fire. The rate at which the mainline burns is the timing between holes. When the main line burns past where each hole is starts the burning for each hole. Each hole has delay before they go off of 17-20 milliseconds.

This allows the main line to be burning way far away before the hole pops cutting the main line.

So the problem is to get all the holes to go off at the same time you need to do some fuckery. The timing of each of the sticks only come in a few different delays 17 ms 20ms ect. So I’m guessing what they did was bunch as many of the say 25millisec delay fuses in one spot then they need to burn up the correct time (length of main line) to match the first set with the next set of delays say 22millisecs and so on.

So when you see it burn off camera that’s where they had the extra main line laying so it wasn’t lying on top of itself (cut itself when burning) to use up extra time to match the last few sets of delays.

They only make so many delays so you don’t get every millisecond delay from say 25 to 0. You get 25 21 17 ect. They did the math right as the car disappeared.

Now if they would have used electric timers it would have been way easier, that is if the computer allowed you to set all the charges off at once.

Pretty cool
Its almost like you break rocks for a living.

Have you seen the programable blasting cap$? Once everything is programed and charged, the fire signal is sent and the wiring can be cut free.

Have you seen the programable blasting cap$? Once everything is programed and charged, the fire signal is sent and the wiring can be cut free.
Yup they are awesome. I used to use them in my quarry. They would have gotten to pricey to double cap the holes. So we went back to old stuff and double caps and are getting a better shot because of it.

I think I have a post or two about them in my thread somewhere.

Yup they are awesome. I use to use them in my quarry. They would have gotten to pricey to double cap the holes. So we went back to old stuff and double caps and are getting a better shot because of it.

I think I have a post or two about them in my thread somewhere.
I'm gonna come up there and watch you blow shit up some time.

cause i like blowing shit up.

I'm gonna come up there and watch you blow shit up some time.

cause i like blowing shit up.
Lol you more than welcome to. It’s pretty uneventful. A half day dropping detonators in the holes, hooking wires up and shoveling stemming.

Then push a button and in 2 secs 20,000 ton of rock is in a pile lol. Then a 25-30k bill comes in the mail a week later :lmao:

Lol you more than welcome to. It’s pretty uneventful. A half day dropping detonators in the holes, hooking wires up and shoveling stemming.

Then push a button and in 2 secs 20,000 ton of rock is in a pile lol. Then a 25-30k bill comes in the mail a week later :lmao:
yeah, but you see it on the regular.

I'm sure I would be impressed.

Is the expensive part of blasting being licensed and all the insurance or the materials to do the job? I am sure the machine to drill the holes is super cheap too. :laughing:

Is the expensive part of blasting being licensed and all the insurance or the materials to do the job? I am sure the machine to drill the holes is super cheap too. :laughing:
It’s the materials to do it. 20,000 lbs of anfo emulsion 2-300 detonators same amount of caps ect. 3-4,000 feet of 3” hole that needs to be drilled with a million dollar drill ect .

Pretty cool
and that makes sense
thank you :beer:

They use 1 pound charges of what looks like a plastic explosives. We actually use two now. One at the bottom of the hole and one at the top. They way the whole column of anfo gets lit before the to click moves.

Orange thing is the booster and the small skinny thing is the cap. This on is a electric cap which gets programmed to the correct time to go off.

The anfo is pretty awesome stuff. It has the fertilizer pellets suspended a expanding foam liquid. That way when they toss the plug in from the top the anfo expands into all the voids.

I get orica to fill the holes. They make everything to do the blasting for themselves. They have a proprietary blend for the emulsion and their caps and computer are their own design. I’m very happy with their product.

30FD3F6E-2F0A-4031-992B-841D06CC67F4.jpeg

8AE18945-4199-4932-B357-2E89CBF6BAE6.jpeg

pentex sounds kinda like PETN, so its the same shit that's in detcord, neat

all that shit's real interesting, just sucks that they passed a fuckton of infringements in the '70s and '80s

Shipping to 95955?
Lol they are very strict on the accounting of those guys. They need to maintain logs of every booster cap pound of anfo. I’m sure it’s a log like the ffa guys need to keep. The .gov is all up in there business.

It’s the materials to do it. 20,000 lbs of anfo emulsion 2-300 detonators same amount of caps ect. 3-4,000 feet of 3” hole that needs to be drilled with a million dollar drill ect .
So with the ammo shortages was your supply chain affected? Did prices jump as they did for ammo?

Top Back Refresh