What's new

Who has their CDL?

Lol all the dump truck drivers mixer drivers ect gets paid overtime after their 40 around here. If you don’t pay your drivers ot after 40 I don’t feel sorry for you guys being short on help.

Just because you don’t have to doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. You should see the farm kids when they get their first check with ot on it.
We get overtime after 8 hours and/or over 40hrs in a Sunday to Saturday period. So can end up working 3 days of 12 hrs and have 12 hours of OT. State law.

We had a guy that was smoking weed WHILE running water truck. I suspected it, not like the smell can be hidden, but I was a new hire and didn't want to start something.
We started back up a month or so ago and I asked where that guy was. I only work there on my off time from my main job, so I rolled in a few weeks after they started. He ended up popping hot on a "random" piss test a few days into the season. Mechanic said he and the boss had pulled him aside last year and given a "last chance" talk. Mechanic was working on the truck and found weed and a few roaches on the floor.

Getting popped for drugs is a sure fire career killer for any CDL work. Sure you can do the programs, but few outfits are interested in hiring someone with that on their record. Especially here in AK where most truckers are a bit higher caliber than the mega carrier "drivers" in the L48.

Hell I got told no at an interview because I ground gears a bit on a truck I'd never seen 10 mins before that. 45 ton Side dump and a Super 10 speed which I'd never run (run 8, 9, 13, 18, 5&4, 4&4, put never a 10)

Last edited:
Not really, where blood alcohol level for OWI is usually 0.08

For a CDL holder it is 0.04 doesn't matter if you are in your personal vehicle or your truck.

Common misconception, and I won't speak for all states, but federally (and many states) the 0.04 is while operating a CMV. CDL holders operating non-CMV have the same blood alcohol standards as non-CDL holders.

Another truck side not. When I was hired I was put into a '17 Mack that constantly had issues, was told that when I upgrade they are getting rid of the truck. Evidently from brand new the truck always had an issue or two. Just found out that we are keeping it because trucks are just not available. My boss said three years ago they would have set it on fire and walked away from it.
We have a few trucks beyond retirement dates, but can't get replacements. We have 3 trucks that wrecked over the winter that can't get replacement cabs, so they have been sitting at the body shop for months doing nothing but burning money. A 4th at that body shop was inside when the body shop burned down, so that one is a goner. 4 got decommissioned for trade-in upon promise of new trucks being delivered in March... pushed to May... now pushed to August. One in the middle of an insurance fight, as it was towed in to a repair facility for an ignition wiring issue and the tow company didn't remove the drive shaft. It was discovered to be a warranty repair, so another tow company came to take it to the dealership. He noted the shaft still in it, so he decided to pull the axle shafts. That's all fine and dandy, if you pull all four, but the doofus only pulled the front drive axle's shaft. Tow company one's insurance owes us a transmission, and tow company two's insurance owes us a differential and power splitter unit. Total bill between the two is $42k, and they are playing hardball, of course.

Yeah, we're 9 trucks short, and have several more over the 450,000 target trade-in date (one is about to cross 500k). Nothing I can do but tell the guys they will get the new trucks as soon as Daimler Trucks shits out a couple new ones.

Makes my life easier in a way, as I can be choosy on new hires. I only have 3 trucks I can put folks in, and one is spoken for on the 27th (respectable guy wants to give current employer notice, and that's great). Once a pair of O/O's trucks finish repair (one next week, and the other might be a never), I will have 1 or 2 more trucks I can issue out.

We get overtime after 8 hours and/or over 40hrs in a Sunday to Saturday period. So can end up working 3 days of 12 hrs and have 12 hours of OT. State law.

We had a guy that was smoking weed WHILE running water truck. I suspected it, not like the smell can be hidden, but I was a new hire and didn't want to start something.
We started back up a month or so ago and I asked where that guy was. I only work there on my off time from my main job, so I rolled in a few weeks after they started. He ended up popping hot on a "random" piss test a few days into the season. Mechanic said he and the boss had pulled him aside last year and given a "last chance" talk. Mechanic was working on the truck and found weed and a few roaches on the floor.

Getting popped for drugs is a sure fire career killer for any CDL work. Sure you can do the programs, but few outfits are interested in hiring someone with that on their record. Especially here in AK where most truckers are a bit higher caliber than the mega carrier "drivers" in the L48.

Hell I got told no at an interview because I ground gears a bit on a truck I'd never seen 10 mins before that. 45 ton Side dump and a Super 10 speed which I'd never run (run 8, 9, 13, 18, 5&4, 4&4, put never a 10)
You wouldn’t believe how many guys smoke weed and drive around California, it’s impressive. And nobody seems to get caught, probably because of those new dab pens or whatever. Nobody I have to deal with really so to each their own. And as far as a super-10? I’d like to try one, has to be weird, I’ve seen them in the auction yard, but never driven one. Seems like a corny way of eliminating the range selector.

Yep. Get tested once a month for awhile, then nothing for a year or so.
Manager looked into the CBD stuff and found that testing positive even with zero THC happens. Test is not for THC, it is for canniblods(sp).
Close, but not quite.

The test is for the metabolite of THC, not THC itself. The reason CBD use can be dangerous is that in most states, CBD products are legal for OTC sales with less than 0.3% THC.

I have used THC gummies in the past and passed the wiz quiz, because I researched and only used products guaranteed 100% THC-free or 0.0% THC guaranteed.

Close, but not quite.

The test is for the metabolite of THC, not THC itself. The reason CBD use can be dangerous is that in most states, CBD products are legal for OTC sales with less than 0.3% THC.

I have used THC gummies in the past and passed the wiz quiz, because I researched and only used products guaranteed 100% THC-free or 0.0% THC guaranteed.
Thank you. And interesting, now to get my nerve up. Any brands stand out? Are there even brands of this stuff?

Common misconception, and I won't speak for all states, but federally (and many states) the 0.04 is while operating a CMV. CDL holders operating non-CMV have the same blood alcohol standards as non-CDL holders.

Am I reading that right? You think you can have a .04 bac while operating a cmv? Because afaik the limit is .00 while operating and .04 when not operating a private vehicle.

Edit: Im looking at 392.5 in the fmcsr and it doesn't say anything about .04

Last edited:
Implementation Guidelines for Alcohol and Drug Regulations - Chapter 7 | FMCSA

The FMCSA regulation prohibits you from allowing a driver with an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater to perform any safety-sensitive functions until he/she has been evaluated by an SAP and has passed a return-to-duty test. A driver with an alcohol concentration of 0.02 or greater, but less than 0.04, must be removed from duty for 24 hours.

Am I reading that right? You think you can have a .04 bac while operating a cmv? Because afaik the limit is .00 while operating and .04 when not operating a private vehicle.

Edit: Im looking at 392.5 in the fmcsr and it doesn't say anything about .04

My intent was to state that BAC limits are the same for CDL and non-CDL holders in a non-CMV.

When researching that to make sure before posting, multiple states list 0.04 for a CMV, and the below screenshot for federal: Screenshot_20220620-130130.jpg

As far as I know, it's 0.04% here if you have a CDL. Doesn't matter if you are in a Geo Metro or a 200,000lb Kenworth.

At their discretion a trooper can put someone out of service for anything over 0% too. In other words, no beer with supper and hopping in a truck.

Implementation Guidelines for Alcohol and Drug Regulations - Chapter 7 | FMCSA

The FMCSA regulation prohibits you from allowing a driver with an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater to perform any safety-sensitive functions until he/she has been evaluated by an SAP and has passed a return-to-duty test. A driver with an alcohol concentration of 0.02 or greater, but less than 0.04, must be removed from duty for 24 hours.

Good to know. I didn't know about the 0.02-0.04 removal from duty (reads as without DUI charges). Obviously should be 0.00 before firing up a rig, but good to know the law's definitions.

As far as I know, it's 0.04% here if you have a CDL. Doesn't matter if you are in a Geo Metro or a 200,000lb Kenworth.

At their discretion a trooper can put someone out of service for anything over 0% too. In other words, no beer with supper and hopping in a truck.

Just out of curiosity, I searched for AK's laws and looks like they're also based on vehicle driven, not license held.

Page 4 of https://public.courts.alaska.gov/web/forms/docs/pub-11.pdf

Mentions the difference in chemical test failures by blood levels for the different charges, and page 6 further defines DUI-CMV, mentioning operating a CMV, not being a CDL holder.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-131422.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-131422.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220620-131322.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-131322.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1
Good to know. I didn't know about the 0.02-0.04 removal from duty (reads as without DUI charges). Obviously should be 0.00 before firing up a rig, but good to know the law's definitions.

Just out of curiosity, I searched for AK's laws and looks like they're also based on vehicle driven, not license held.

Page 4 of https://public.courts.alaska.gov/web/forms/docs/pub-11.pdf

Mentions the difference in chemical test failures by blood levels for the different charges, and page 6 further defines DUI-CMV, mentioning operating a CMV, not being a CDL holder.
Interesting. It was really drilled in when I went through training for my CDL that it didn't matter what the vehicle was, that CDL holders were held to a higher standard.

To be honest I've never looked into it. I rarely drink to begin with, like a 12 pack might last me 6+ months aside from a rare around the campfire with friends situation, so it's a non issue for me. Last beer I drank was maybe New Years... I can't even remember.

Interesting. It was really drilled in when I went through training for my CDL that it didn't matter what the vehicle was, that CDL holders were held to a higher standard.

To be honest I've never looked into it. I rarely drink to begin with, like a 12 pack might last me 6+ months aside from a rare around the campfire with friends situation, so it's a non issue for me. Last beer I drank was maybe New Years... I can't even remember.
At the time the law came out there was no designation between personal and commercial vehicle. There has been an interpretation clarifying since.

I earned a DUI several years ago driving a pov. Lawyer tried several things, cop tried getting it down to reckless driving. County Att. kept saying CDL is held to higher standard, only concession was to not push for .04 as starting point.

I have a roadskills test for Friday with a truck driving school, class A and air brakes, $350 in their truck, 10 speed, 5 then flip the lever and 6-10 I guess. I also need to show I can double clutch, whatever the fuck that means. I've driven an old kenworth with a lowboy all over a mine site, but never in traffic, so hopefully whatever breakfast burrito I bring this guy gets me some leeway :laughing:

Tap the clutch once to take it out of gear and the second time to put it into the next gear, quick like tap-tap.
Sort of... make sure you are only tapping it half way down. The clutch brake is only about the size of a coffee can lid and only designed to stop the transmission itself from spinning. Pushing in to engage the clutch brake while moving is a way to quickly burn it up.

Sort of... make sure you are only tapping it half way down. The clutch brake is only about the size of a coffee can lid and only designed to stop the transmission itself from spinning. Pushing in to engage the clutch brake while moving is a way to quickly burn it up.
Ran a dumptruck almost all winter that had no clutch brake. Was mildly annoying waiting for the trans to spool down to be able to back up.

Leave it in gear and press the clutch when coming to a stop? :idea:
We would wait in line for the loader, so sitting in neutral, then had to back up to teh snow pile. Or sometimes pull forward, depending on the property.

It ended up getting fixed at the end of the season. I'm guessing it was smoked from a few drivers trying to run it like a car and punching the pedal to the firewall at each shift.

Was "my" truck... late 90s T800 with 500 CAT 3406 and 18 speed.

I have a roadskills test for Friday with a truck driving school, class A and air brakes, $350 in their truck, 10 speed, 5 then flip the lever and 6-10 I guess. I also need to show I can double clutch, whatever the fuck that means. I've driven an old kenworth with a lowboy all over a mine site, but never in traffic, so hopefully whatever breakfast burrito I bring this guy gets me some leeway :laughing:

You might wanna see if you can practice a bit before taking the test :laughing:

Congratulations. I think a lot of it has to do with the examiner.

My first attempt the guy was pretty cool. He was asking me about the truck and the company that owned it and was pretty easy going. At one point I got a bit flustered and he just told me to take my time. I would have passed except that I hit a curb on a turn. It was a right hand corner, traffic was coming the other way on both the street I was on and the one I was turning into, and I tried to do the best I could. I really should have just waited until traffic cleared and I had a better chance.

Went back just for the on road test the second time (having passed the pre-trip and parking) and the guy I got that time was a pain (to put it nicely). He was just business and as soon as we're out on the road he starts asking me about road signs we just passed. It's part of the test and the first guy did it too - a few times. But this guy is doing it through the whole test and often when I'm trying to do something else - checking traffic to change lane, looking around to make a turn, coming up to an intersection, etc. With all of that I apparently went over a crosswalk instead of stopping before it, took too long to get into the next gear, and was just flustered. Failed it. He said I wasn't in control of the vehicle.

Third time was back with the first examiner. It was about a month and a half later what with scheduling. He was pleasant again, but didn't ask the questions about the truck and company. Things went smoothly and after completing the turn I fucked up on the first time he just said "That was much better." He remembered the first time.

My guy was pretty cool, I'd had a class B years ago, got it from a 3rd party place, guy was cool, then had to go back 2 months later to retest with air brakes, as that's the service truck that popped up at work, that time I went to the state office and got a hardass who likes to fail people, but I was on point that time.
This time I went to a 3rd party place and the guy was cool, I nailed the pre trip, he knows I'm not ever gonna be in an 18 wheeler, I really just want the ability to pull trailers with a service truck, or maybe a hotshot rig, so I think he cut me some slack on my backing up skills and grinding gears

Ok, so you weren't going into it blind. The "I also need to show I can double clutch, whatever the fuck that means." sort of implied that you weren't quite up to speed with things.
Maybe blind, but didn't used to be blind is a better description...
I spent a month or two in a topkick 6500 with a cat and a 6 or 7 speed, then retook air brakes test in an ugly 83ish GMC 33k truck, old and ugly, but had an Allison and AC, pretty baller for a 24 year old field mechanic:laughing:
After that I went to a closed property (approximately 100sq miles) and let my CDL lapse, and was one of a handful of guys that would run the 18 wheeler with the hydraulic dovetail. It was gravy and fun, and nobody else wanted to do it. I always floated the gears, and knew the shift points on that particular truck, but even that was almost 3 years ago, and involved driving on 100' wide dirt roads, left hand traffic:laughing:

So I guess my walk around was strong, but my driving was all false confidence luck and you tube talking points. Go straight and turn late:laughing:

Top Back Refresh