What's new

Who has their CDL?

Baconator

Member Number
I probably should get a CDL, I have a small business involving machinery that I tow around with a 1 ton pickup and a 20klb gooseneck.
Truck/Trailer/Machine is typically pushing 26000lbs and probably get over that number easily.

Ive noticed that the DOT has been pulling pickups with trailers over on state highways I frequent, and have been told they are enforcing the 10,000lb trailer CDL requirement now.

Anyway it is time, I dont like stressing over stupid shit that I can solve. All of the info I can find out there is for 18 wheeler type trucks, wondering what I need to be prepared for to get a CDL with a 1 ton truck, and what others experiences might be.

I have mine. Sounds like you're making money with trailers over 10K. I'd get one, at least a B.

I have an A. I figured if I were going to do it, I should be able to drive anything.

What's your question?

I have mine. Sounds like you're making money with trailers over 10K. I'd get one, at least a B.

I have an A. I figured if I were going to do it, I should be able to drive anything.

What's your question?

Id probably want a Class A, as I thought Class B was for straight trucks/Dump Trucks.
Just wondering what the process looks like, did you get a permit and actually drive around with someone to learn? Ive been pulling trailers since before I got a drivers license, so I feel pretty confident in that.
Can you go test in your own truck? Mine is just a 3500/Gooseneck. The requirements seem the same for a Semi or 1 ton truck, so I am wondering if they are going to make me test in a semi?

This subject gets a little muddy at times. Dont confuse a dot 10k lb registration with needing a cdl.

A cdl is needed based in weight of the max weight of a truck and trailer.

The dot thing is a commercial lisencing thing for interstate commerse.

These r 2 very seperate things that very often cross over.

In your case since u r making money while towing or with the equipment u tow, i would get legal. If that requires a cdl, get it, if it requires dot numbers, get them. The fines are very steep.

Look online for a place in your area that offers assistance in getting your license. There’s a guy in our area that will take a group of people (usually 3-6) and spend a couple hours with them going over inspections and prep, then give them an hour or so to practice with his straight truck or day cab depending on what test you are taking, and then take you to the DMV for the driving test using his equipment. He has a very high pass rate. You just have to have the written part passed before you go to him.

Id probably want a Class A, as I thought Class B was for straight trucks/Dump Trucks.
Just wondering what the process looks like, did you get a permit and actually drive around with someone to learn? Ive been pulling trailers since before I got a drivers license, so I feel pretty confident in that.
Can you go test in your own truck? Mine is just a 3500/Gooseneck. The requirements seem the same for a Semi or 1 ton truck, so I am wondering if they are going to make me test in a semi?

I own my truck, a W900 and 53' trailer. I also drove a lot of big vehicles in the Army.

Test in whatever max vehicle you want to drive, as they can limit you to that vehicle. So if you ever move off your 1t, you could have to go re-test to drive a Class 8. Same with air brakes, etc.

Depending on where you are, the driving schools have the best relationships with the State Police that do the testing (here in NH). So I paid an instructor 300 to sit in the passenger seat, who said nice things about me and bull shitted with the cop while I went through the pre-trip inspection on a brand new truck and trailer.

In NH, the pre trip inspection is the worst. If you have a POS, you're not getting a commercial license.

Class B is weight ratings of vehicle. In NH, it's also commercial meaning you make money driving a vehicle over 26K lbs. It also allows endorsements like school bus or over 15 passengers.

I have a class A CDL, with tanker and double/triple trailer endorsements. It varies from state to state on the 10k trailer thing, some states go by the total gvwr of the combination, others specifically state a trailer over 10k.

i know in WA any commercial use of a trailer over 10k you need a CDL. also need for CDL is all about rated load not actual. and so towing that 20k trailer empty would require a CDL. i'd have to double check but i think if your caught with a load on that trailer without a CDL its not just a traffic charge, its criminal!

the 10k trailer rule gets kinda muddy if its not registered under a business. but with what you have going it flagrant. i know skagit and whatcom couties in WA have had lots of enforcement lately. lots of landscapers and contractors with dump and equipment trailers getting popped.

also i should also get my cdl, but never get over 26k in towing or weight rating, and everything i drive isnt registered under the bisiness. no company stickers on the trucks either.

Last edited:
I’ve got mine. As Grendal states, they will put endorsements on your license. I can’t do tractor trailer. I didn’t have a truck to test in. I am endorsed for air brakes and trailer. You step up to to other things like tamker/fuel endorsement etc. Get the highest you think you will ever drive. You just have to test in that equipment.

Now, you have to test in a fifth wheel truck if you want to be legal to operate one.

I have a class A with tanker endorsement. I mainly drive a dump truck with a trailer in tow.

The dodge 4500 service truck pulling a 16k trailer required a DOT physical, but I needed that for the cdl anyway.

You need to learn the walk around (you need air brakes for that) , for a full class 1 lic....
Just study the dmv manual and play with the loaner tractor to get the walk around committed to memory.

There are several classes of cdl non commercial above class c, read up on whatcha need.
Btw
The bac levels are much tighter for cdl holders!

Most All the above pertain to your querry!
Find out dot\dmv regs where you will work\play then choose a lic. Grade.
Btw the dot fines aint fun, without a proper license.

Last edited:
i know in WA any commercial use of a trailer over 10k you need a CDL. also need for CDL is all about rated load not actual. and so towing that 20k trailer empty would require a CDL. i'd have to double check but i think if your caught with a load on that trailer without a CDL its not just a traffic charge, its criminal!

the 10k trailer rule gets kinda muddy if its not registered under a business. but with what you have going it flagrant. i know skagit and whatcom couties in WA have had lots of enforcement lately. lots of landscapers and contractors with dump and equipment trailers getting popped.

also i should also get my cdl, but never get over 26k in towing or weight rating, and everything i drive isnt registered under the bisiness. no company stickers on the trucks either.

I can claim farm right now, as I never get 150miles away from home and the equipment I tow isnt out of place for farm and I do have a "farm" but thats a gray area and Id like to be 100% legit.

I can claim farm right now, as I never get 150miles away from home and the equipment I tow isnt out of place for farm and I do have a "farm" but thats a gray area and Id like to be 100% legit.

I have mine, class A. I work in WA quite a bit and know alot of guys who have the "farm" license and the cops seem to leave them alone as long as they are within the 150 mile area. What state do you live in? Do you cross state lines hauling? Do you run your farm as a business?

I have mine, class A. I work in WA quite a bit and know alot of guys who have the "farm" license and the cops seem to leave them alone as long as they are within the 150 mile area. What state do you live in? Do you cross state lines hauling? Do you run your farm as a business?

Im in CO, I dont cross state lines.
My farm is a business for my property taxes, it is a stretch to claim the machinery is used on the farm, but could probably talk my way out of it on the side of a road. Either way I know I need one.

I'm working on my Class A CDL right now. I've passed the knowledge (written) exams and am practicing for my skills (pre-trip inspection and actual driving exams). I have access to single axle and tandem axle tractors and a range of trailers.

Other than having access to the rigs, I also have the opportunity to drive for the company if I get my CDL - and possibly borrow a rig here and there if I need to move/haul something (they have a flatbed trailer that could come in pretty handy). Pennsylvania has also been cracking down on things. As mentioned above, the 10K and 26K issues as well as "commercial use" stuff. I have a skidloader and mini-ex that just screams out "general contractor" when I'm hauling them someplace. I'm also hearing more and more people talking about questions of prize money and such if they're hauling anything from horses to cars to off-road vehicles.

For the knowledge exams, I paid for https://driving-tests.org/

For me, it was worth it. It's basically the same format when you go for the exam - sit down at a computer and do multiple choice. I went through all the Driving Tests exams here and there when I had some spare time and then did the marathons again before going in for the test. Got all the answers right. There are free exams online, but this was pretty comprehensive. For me, the money spent was worth saving time.

I've been watching YouTube videos on the pre-trip inspection and the parking maneuvers. Here's a pretty comprehensive one for the pre-trip inspection: https://youtu.be/EfW615ZnELE

I'd be interested in hearing from those who have recently taken the skills exams. What kinds of things did they fault you for on the road test? Other than the basics of the parking tests such as running over cones, not getting it fully in the space, too many pull-ups or vehicle exits, were there other faults they called you on? And other than missing items, were there things they faulted you for on the pre-trip inspection?

For example, I've been told (and I think it was in that video) that you have to tell the examiner to put on his seatbelt or they fault you for not making sure your passenger abides by safety measures.

Last edited:
I probably should get a CDL, I have a small business involving machinery that I tow around with a 1 ton pickup and a 20klb gooseneck.
Truck/Trailer/Machine is typically pushing 26000lbs and probably get over that number easily.

Ive noticed that the DOT has been pulling pickups with trailers over on state highways I frequent, and have been told they are enforcing the 10,000lb trailer CDL requirement now.

Anyway it is time, I dont like stressing over stupid shit that I can solve. All of the info I can find out there is for 18 wheeler type trucks, wondering what I need to be prepared for to get a CDL with a 1 ton truck, and what others experiences might be.

In NC, if i recall right, there's such a thing as a class A CDL where you're not licenced to drive an 18 wheeler, but you're licensed to drive a truck and trailer like you describe for commercial purposes and it's required if you're over whatever the weight limit is. If i was going to take the CDL test for a Class A I'd find someone you know with an 18 wheeler and get the legit version just to have it. A guy I know here who hauled a huge horse trailer that needed the "civilian class A" or whatever it's called, and he just took the written test, got his learner's permit, and drove my 18 wheeler enough to go take the test and pass it. This was ten years ago or so, I have no idea what the current laws are so I may be way off base now days.

I've got an AK state class A.

I got mine on the military skills waiver program. Got my CO ust had to take the written test and they gave me a license.

I do have an air brake restriction though. I probably should have automatic only and tag axle only restrictions too, but they didn't give me them and I didn't say shit about it.

I was towing a 14k boat trailer with an F450 for work so it counted.

I'll probably never use it for anything more than pickup truck or maybe MDT size stuff.

I went and got it because I didn't want to find myself in a situation like Mike Belben did and have to drop and surrender a trailer going through a picky state. Plus it may be helpful in job applications later too.

I'll probaby go back and the the air brake restriction removed when I move back to AK in a few years.

Patoyota, the guy I did my driving test with was pretty damn tough. He drove gas tanker his while life then retired and went to work for the state as an emergency highway guy that helps people with stalled cars, wrecks on the freeway etc. So he was friends with all the HP troopers. I got one thing wrong on the walk around inspection. I couldn’t tell him I needed to have three points of contact when stepping up on the (Catwalk!) getting into the truck. No it’s not a running board! It’s a catwalk! Then he made me back my 30’ equipment trailer around a 90 degree turn an stop within 2’ of the end cone he had setup. He then did the road test and a light turned yellow on a fifty mile an hour stretch. I locked em up and slid to a stop. He turned to me and said: truck and trailer have good brakes. If you would have ran that yellow I would have failed you!:eek: I hope you don’t get someone like him!:grinpimp:

It's all state dependent. I put off getting my CDL because I can skirt and operate in the gray area. Not worth the trouble for me, I'd rather pay an overweight ticket then deal with DOT BS. With class A, it goes on your record and insurance gets fucked.

Let's keep the "I know a guy who" hypothetical guesstimate bullshit outta this , op is looking for "do I need" tech info.

how bout it?

yea wee'z in shit shat!

I got my class A when I turned 18. Took the test with a dump truck and tag trailer. Bitch made me back that rig into a 90 degree loading dock with cones placed like it was between two other trailers. I fucking got it on one pass and she looked at me and said wtf you didn’t need to do it in one pass. I told her I have been getting screamed at for the last summer by my dad while backing this thing in narrow driveways to unload our excavators. I learned to get it in one try and within a foot of where my dad was standing.

I would get your license as soon as possible. In the next year or two they are changing the laws in my state to force you to go to one of those stupid trucking schools to get your license. No more do it on your own.

As to weather you need the license or not is if the combined gvw of truck and trailer (not loaded weight just the ability to haul) is at or above 26,000 and the hauling is done for the engaging of commerce you’ll need it.

In my state you do not need a cdl and can drive anything if your working for a farm. The only catch is you can only be hauling the farms property and the payload is only used for the farm your working for. Hauling other farmers grain = you need a cdl. Hauling other farmers equipment = you need a cdl. Hauling your farms excavator to dig a neighbor’s basement = you need a cdl. So that is a very fine line to thread.

Good luck if you do take a test make sure you get the best license you can. Take a semi and trailer with air brakes and a manual trans. That way you can do anything.

I got my class A when I turned 18. Took the test with a dump truck and tag trailer. Bitch made me back that rig into a 90 degree loading dock with cones placed like it was between two other trailers. I fucking got it on one pass and she looked at me and said wtf you didn’t need to do it in one pass. I told her I have been getting screamed at for the last summer by my dad while backing this thing in narrow driveways to unload our excavators. I learned to get it in one try and within a foot of where my dad was standing.

I would get your license as soon as possible. In the next year or two they are changing the laws in my state to force you to go to one of those stupid trucking schools to get your license. No more do it on your own.

As to weather you need the license or not is if the combined gvw of truck and trailer (not loaded weight just the ability to haul) is at or above 26,000 and the hauling is done for the engaging of commerce you’ll need it.

In my state you do not need a cdl and can drive anything if your working for a farm. The only catch is you can only be hauling the farms property and the payload is only used for the farm your working for. Hauling other farmers grain = you need a cdl. Hauling other farmers equipment = you need a cdl. Hauling your farms excavator to dig a neighbor’s basement = you need a cdl. So that is a very fine line to thread.

Good luck if you do take a test make sure you get the best license you can. Take a semi and trailer with air brakes and a manual trans. That way you can do anything.

Lol, I got the alley dock and parallel park with mine years ago with a 48’ on my test........

Non-commercial class A in NC here. Class a is class a here, and although I took the driving test in a f550 with a tag trailer I have no restrictions printed on my license. Test is the exact same commercial vs noncommercial.

Written test was easy. Driving test was easy enough. Don't have to do medical or maintain a log book or stop at highway weigh stations with noncommercial. Other than that, I understand it to be the same as any class 8 driver.

Non-commercial class A in NC here. Class a is class a here, and although I took the driving test in a f550 with a tag trailer I have no restrictions printed on my license. Test is the exact same commercial vs noncommercial.

Written test was easy. Driving test was easy enough. Don't have to do medical or maintain a log book or stop at highway weigh stations with noncommercial. Other than that, I understand it to be the same as any class 8 driver.

Mmm I don’t think so. If you run commercial you have to do a dot medical at least every two years. So they are different.

Reactions: Clb
Let's keep the "I know a guy who" hypothetical guesstimate bullshit outta this , op is looking for "do I need" tech info.

OP posted "wondering what I need to be prepared for to get a CDL with a 1 ton truck, and what others experiences might be."

A little different from "do I need"...

Seems like others are giving experiences. Yes, some of it is second hand.

Here's a flowchart I was given the other year. The State Police put on an FAQ session at one of the local trailer shops. Although it is a "CDL Flowchart" and states "No CDL needed" at the bottom of the chart, it is really about determining the classes. Whether you're non-comm or comm is a separate question of whether you're "doing business" or not.

CDL Flowchart.png

Mmm I don’t think so. If you run commercial you have to do a dot medical at least every two years. So they are different.

He said "Test is the exact same commercial vs noncommercial."

Beyond the testing itself, there are a number of differences between CDL and non-comm of the same class - hours of service, med card, etc.

He said "Test is the exact same commercial vs noncommercial."

Beyond the testing itself, there are a number of differences between CDL and non-comm of the same class - hours of service, med card, etc.

I misunderstood what he was saying I guess.

I have my A with no restrictions and all endorsements except P, because fuck driving people. As the other guys have said get the biggest you can, that way you don't ever have to worry about it again. I went to the 160 Driving Academy that operates out of our community college to get mine, went as a full time student for 5 weeks. The book stuff was super simple and so was the driving part. My one teacher only taught the pre-trip and he instilled in us the importance of getting it right. I'm glad I did it, I love driving for pay.

Top Back Refresh