What's new

Who has their CDL?

Drivers are exempt from the FLSA... AKA: Most are paid straight time or OT after something like 50 or 60 hours. Finding a job that pays OT after 40 is rare in most of the country.
Lol all the dump truck drivers mixer drivers ect gets paid overtime after their 40 around here. If you don’t pay your drivers ot after 40 I don’t feel sorry for you guys being short on help.

Just because you don’t have to doesn’t mean you shouldn’t. You should see the farm kids when they get their first check with ot on it.

Lol all the dump truck drivers mixer drivers ect gets paid overtime after their 40 around here. If you don’t pay your drivers ot after 40 I don’t feel sorry for you guys being short on help.

Just because you don’t have to doesn’t mean you shouldn’t.
We're not short on help at all. Our hourly positions all have a waiting list, except for yard spotters. They get OT at 40, its just that opportunity is disguised as actual work.

What we're short on is trucks. 4 new ones were supposed to be here in March. Then May. Now the dealer is saying August. We already decommissioned the 4 trade-ins for the deal, now we're stuck without them. I could put 4 good drivers in them next week if they were to miraculously arrive... its funny how little trouble a company has recruiting drivers when they are fairly compensated and all the drivers are fully bought-in on the situation (good pay, respect, good equipment, actually being paid what's owed on time, home whenever they want, no max 4-day home rule, etc.).

Drivers are exempt from the FLSA... AKA: Most are paid straight time or OT after something like 50 or 60 hours. Finding a job that pays OT after 40 is rare in most of the country.
Drivers at work get OT after 40. OT after 10 in a day in case it rains out.

On the truck issue, we just replaced an engine in one, whereas in the past we would have sold it. We ordered 12 from Mack and KW that were supposed to be here in January/February, then we were told March/April. Its now the end of May and we've only taken delivery of six of them.

Work surprised the shit out of me, I was in line to get a '19, '20 or '21 upgrade to my POS Mack. They handed me the keys to a '23 KW T880 yesterday. Quite the upgrade other than the Meritor adaptive cruise/auto brake bullshit.
Pics?

I drive a 1980 GMC General :eek: at least it has 6" stacks with no mufflers.:lmao:

Can anybody give me a rundown on CDL and legal marijuana?

At what point do you get drug tested?

I intend to get my CDL this month, haven't used weed in months, if i get my CDL and don't get a CDL job, am I gtg? Then just quit if / when I go to work for somebody using my CDL?

How about I want to get buzzed on the weekend and tow my personal 14k trailer with my pickup on Wednesday?

Test is not for THC so much.. It is for cannibolds (sp) .CBD with no THC will be positive. It gets in the body fat and lasts for days or longer if a regular user.

Test is not for THC so much.. It is for cannibolds (sp) .CBD with no THC will be positive. It gets in the body fat and lasts for days or longer if a regular user.
Up to a month plus depending on how much fat you have on you.

I intend to get my CDL this month, haven't used weed in months, if i get my CDL and don't get a CDL job, am I gtg? Then just quit if / when I go to work for somebody using my CDL?

How about I want to get buzzed on the weekend and tow my personal 14k trailer with my pickup on Wednesday?

If you don't get a job, you should be fine.

Drug testing is through your employer (or mandatory consortium if an owner/operator). If you aren't employed operating a commercial motor vehicle you won't be subject to random testing.

As for towing a personal 14k trailer, as long as it doesn't fit your state's definition of a commercial motor vehicle you're fine. As a thread derail: a 14k trailer is classified different state to state / maybe federally and can be a confusing mess to figure out on the side of the road with a trooper as to what license / medical card/ DOT numbers are required.

You get drug tested before working in a safety-sensitive position (driving a truck, etc.). You also get put in a random pool for quarterly draws. Sometimes I come up every quarter in a year, sometimes I come up once in two-three years. Computer-generated, randomized by number, not names. If you work for yourself, you are required to submit to a testing consortium for random draws and give them a "pre-employment" sample.

So yeah, you can smoke with a CDL, you just have to quit at least a month before working with it, either for yourself or someone else.
And of course you have to answer "NO" to illicit drug use/abuse on your CDL Medical Card long form questionnaire. Once again, you need the card to get the CDL, but if you aren't actively using it for work, you can self-certify with the state as "Intrastate Exempt" and let the card lapse. You damn well better get a new physical and re-certify "Interstate Non-Exempt" before hauling a single load, though. Do it a couple weeks in advance to ensure the state gets it uploaded and updated, because you will be put OOS if it still shows Intrastate Exempt and you are hauling commercial freight. Nice fine, and serious PSA points.

I let my card lapse last year when I had a vision issue and knew I couldn't pass the medical exam I had coming up in 90 days. I self-certified, then was about to go get a new card 7 months later when covid kicked my ass and put me in the hospital for a few months with a nice coma nap along the way. After heart surgery last month, I finally went back out and passed my physical... only got a 1-year card this time, as the doc didn't want his name on the line if something happened with the implanted device and I killed a bus full of nuns in a semi.

We are not in a state where it is legal, but we have branches in states where it is legal and get this argument all the time.

It is not legal, you cannot drive.

Argue it all day long, but in the end a failed drug test for any reason means rehab or job loss for us.

We are subject to randoms. I may go a couple years, then get selected 3 times in a year, you just never know. We have a computer program select our randoms.

BUT also at any time in a towaway/injury accident the driver is required to be tested.

Then if your supervisor thinks you are high he can send you in without warning, but that has never happened for us.

We are not in a state where it is legal, but we have branches in states where it is legal and get this argument all the time.

It is not legal, you cannot drive.

Argue it all day long, but in the end a failed drug test for any reason means rehab or job loss for us.

We are subject to randoms. I may go a couple years, then get selected 3 times in a year, you just never know. We have a computer program select our randoms.

BUT also at any time in a towaway/injury accident the driver is required to be tested.

Then if your supervisor thinks you are high he can send you in without warning, but that has never happened for us.
Yep. Get tested once a month for awhile, then nothing for a year or so.
Manager looked into the CBD stuff and found that testing positive even with zero THC happens. Test is not for THC, it is for canniblods(sp).

Something someone else brought up.

If you fail, it follows you. You can't just quit and move onto the next company. I that is what they call the clearing house.

We had one guy get around that and I will tell you how.

When you fail the first thing that happens is the doctor is supposed to call you to try and determine if there is any acceptable reason for failure.
In one case we had a driver eat poppy seed muffins for breakfast, doctor was convinced that was enough, but take into account the driver had already worked for us for 30 years and was about 60 years old. So I am sure he was also profiled.

We had another driver get called, we only knew because the doctor called here to work looking for him since he didn't answer his cell phone. He didn't answer his phone because I am sure he knew he failed.

Since he quit and never completed the interview with the doctor he never officially completed the drug test and it was not reported.

Poppy seed muffins is total bs no? I have heard that only will happen if you eat handfuls of poppy seeds.

Google has mixed results.

Funny though because I had a poppy seed muffin this morning. :laughing:

Poppy seed muffins is total bs no? I have heard that only will happen if you eat handfuls of poppy seeds.

I have no idea if it is BS or not. That was just what the driver and Doctor agreed upon and the story we got for his failed test.

2-4 days for opiates to 'clean' is quite forgiving.

Seems to me your laws steer pro drivers to alcoholism and other hard drugs :flipoff2: similar to our canuckistan oil patch, logging, etc.

Recently hired a guy that flat out said he had just smoked before taking his pre employment.

He passed.

Even he is trying to figure out how.

Another truck side not. When I was hired I was put into a '17 Mack that constantly had issues, was told that when I upgrade they are getting rid of the truck. Evidently from brand new the truck always had an issue or two. Just found out that we are keeping it because trucks are just not available. My boss said three years ago they would have set it on fire and walked away from it.

Seems to me your laws steer pro drivers to alcoholism and other hard drugs
Pretty much. I can chug a liter of vodka tonight and as long as I’m sober when I report it’s perfectly fine. Can’t sleep tonight so I take a gummy and get a good nights rest and report sober in the am well… If I test positive ill lose my job or be forced into rehab lol.

Another truck side not. When I was hired I was put into a '17 Mack that constantly had issues, was told that when I upgrade they are getting rid of the truck. Evidently from brand new the truck always had an issue or two. Just found out that we are keeping it because trucks are just not available. My boss said three years ago they would have set it on fire and walked away from it.

Yup, And all of a sudden people are fixing 6.4 Ford's and 3.0 Toyota's, clown world

Seems to me your laws steer pro drivers to alcoholism and other hard drugs :flipoff2: similar to our canuckistan oil patch, logging, etc.
Not really, where blood alcohol level for OWI is usually 0.08

For a CDL holder it is 0.04 doesn't matter if you are in your personal vehicle or your truck.

For a CDL holder it is 0.04 doesn't matter if you are in your personal vehicle or your truck.
And this makes any vehicle registered in your name a fuckin magnet for fishing stops.

These days much every PD computer system pulls up the registered owner's license info the second their ALPR reads a plate. By the time they walk up to your door they already know whether your license is expired or if you got a warrant out. If they're sitting there with their ALPR on scanning everything that goes by they can and will pick and choose which cars to fishing stop based on whether or not they can write some other papers violations type ticket. So if you have a CDL and therefore an easy target for a DUI they will be much more inclined to stop you because if they're out fishing they already know you're an easier target.

And this makes any vehicle registered in your name a fuckin magnet for fishing stops.

These days much every PD computer system pulls up the registered owner's license info the second their ALPR reads a plate. By the time they walk up to your door they already know whether your license is expired or if you got a warrant out. If they're sitting there with their ALPR on scanning everything that goes by they can and will pick and choose which cars to fishing stop based on whether or not they can write some other papers violations type ticket. So if you have a CDL and therefore an easy target for a DUI they will be much more inclined to stop you because if they're out fishing they already know you're an easier target.

^^ That's exactly why I didn't want my CDL.

^^ That's exactly why I didn't want my CDL.
While all of that can be true, I have had the exact opposite effect. I think because I am an old white guy LOL

When I get pulled over for doing something stupid I am usually told, "I am going to ticket you for this instead so it doesn't screw with your CDL"

Which usually ends up being a non moving violation like seat belt. LOL

I have even gotten off with verbal warnings.

Few years ago I was coming back from looking at used trailers in Wisconsin. Flying across southern Minnesota, Only one on the interstate. Probably running 85 mph, 11pm at night. I was playing on my phone. No seat belt. Got pulled over.
Surprise right?
Officer comes up and says know how fast you were going? I said nope I wasn't paying attention because I was playing on my phone.
He laughs, takes my papers back to his car.
Comes back and says, slow down and put your seat belt on. Have a good day.

I didn't know what to think. Was this a trap or something? LOL

... So if you have a CDL and therefore an easy target for a DUI they will be much more inclined to stop you because if they're out fishing they already know you're an easier target.

All I can say is I'm glad its not like that north of your border.

Top Back Refresh