Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

What you do to your MC today?

Mounted a radial master cylinder on the supermoto today. I was never happy with the feedback from the stock brake set up and always thought it should have a little more power. I upgraded the rotor and pads which helped, but not enough, hence the master cylinder swap and goodness gracious does it have more power. Before grabbing as much brake I could would bring the rear off the ground a little, now there is a genuine concern of going over the bars. It will take some getting used to.
20230211_143319.jpg

Rode today, took dad on some single track that he had no business being on yet.

He hooked a tree, tore off a shroud, bent up the radiator guards as well lol.

Finding a set of shrouds for a '12 husaburg te300 isnt looking that promising

Zip tied on the rad shroud I half ripped off last weekend and swapped to some half worn tires to go do trail work.

Had an ice storm a few weeks ago which brought down a bunch of trees. These trails are not open for moto use, but the club gets a pass from the forest service since we take care of these problems for them.

Frustrating thing with the club is we cap at 150 members, but it seems it is always the same 4-6 people doing all the work. They did recently change the rules that if you don't do any work days your next years dues will be higher. Didn't seem to change anything.

This was the worst spot. Multiple trees tops across the trail.

IMG-20230211-WA0010-X3.jpg

IMG-20230211-WA0009-X3.jpg

IMG-20230211-WA0005-X3.jpg

That's cool USFS let the club use it. Makes a good day or 2 out of it to clear up. Keep up the good work fellas

So can your club ride those trails whenever? Or just when doing trail maintenance?

So can your club ride those trails whenever? Or just when doing trail maintenance?

Really just for doing maintenance. Maybe a few times here and there just to be sure the trails are still clear :laughing:

Also they do some horse enduros here so we do all the trail marking/clean up for those events plus run ahead of the horses during the events to make sure the trails are still clear and the locals haven't ripped down our markers :shaking:

Started wiring up the dual sport kit on my KDX, need to decide on a 12v battery to run the signals and tail light yet but I got the new headlight and switch wired up to the bike anyway. That involved starting it for the first time in at least 6 months which was a struggle. My buddy went and bought a husky 300 so now I've got someone to ride with, need to get this thing buttoned up.

PXL_20221006_012918424.jpg

Got both bikes cleaned up, The 300 doesnt clean up all that much though:laughing: Need to swap out a hub, a bent rotor, its due to freshen up the suspension again.

Supposedly the 350 is sold, have not seen any money yet though
Resized_20230212_165918_580445837991983.jpeg

Which kit are you getting?

Howd you like the bike?

Holy shit its amazing compared to the yzf. The push button kickstart is spectacular.
Gonna have to get used to the 2 stroke kick, instead of the grunt of the 4 stroke. Needs a cheater tire out back. Dropping to about 8psi did a lot to help, but still spun a lot. I think I'll move the bars to the front mount, stretch the cockpit out a little more. I need to slide the levers in a bit too, I like catching the end of the lever with my finger, not the middle.

Basically need to get it dialed in for the set up I like to ride.

Emperor does a kit with the pipe guard skid plate, rad braces, mesh mud guard for the pipe, and full wrap hand guards. $1000cdn all in.
I swore up and down I'd take it easy today, got my stitches outta the hand pre ride and tore my hand open yard saling the bike on a trail called parachute hill:laughing: stupid steep with all kinds of ugly roots and shit on it. One of the guys that came out today is a hare scramble champion, he took 5 runs at it and made it twice. My 5 year old on his ttr50 took 1 run, looped the bike onto himself and earned an ice cream cone on the way home for trying it:smokin:.

$1k wtf?

Bark busters
Skid plate
Radiator guards
And maybe a pipe guard, dunno if I would buy one again.

Been a while since I bought guards but $1k sounds pretty steep

If I don't have a pipe guard I'll be blowing it back out every monday:homer:.

Remember it's canadian bucks too, they're smaller than yours:laughing:.

I'll see if I can find a good parachute hill video.

Looks like a fun hill.

Never saw a skid plate like that before. Interesting

Looks like a fun hill.

Never saw a skid plate like that before. Interesting

It's what most of the guys I ride with run.

Did some slightly shifty shit today and got a full street legal plate for it. Not gonna be commuting on it (I mean...probably), but it'll be nice to be able to make the odd beer run, or go trail to trail on the road.

Mounted a radial master cylinder on the supermoto today. I was never happy with the feedback from the stock brake set up and always thought it should have a little more power. I upgraded the rotor and pads which helped, but not enough, hence the master cylinder swap and goodness gracious does it have more power. Before grabbing as much brake I could would bring the rear off the ground a little, now there is a genuine concern of going over the bars. It will take some getting used to.
20230211_143319.jpg
How are these sized? Do they take into account caliper piston count/piston area?

Would swapping out the very wooden feeling stock Nissin master on something like a non-abs '18 SV650 net any gain in performance with the stock calipers? I guess I'm mostly looking for more modulation, I know the stock 2-pot axial calipers can only do so much power wise no matter what is driving them.

How are these sized? Do they take into account caliper piston count/piston area?

Would swapping out the very wooden feeling stock Nissin master on something like a non-abs '18 SV650 net any gain in performance with the stock calipers? I guess I'm mostly looking for more modulation, I know the stock 2-pot axial calipers can only do so much power wise no matter what is driving them.
I farmed out the research to a friend with the same bike because he is much more thorough in his research so I went on his recommendation :laughing: The size is 14mm on mine for a single four piston caliper. I can't speak to how much modulation I've gained because I only have a couple of short test rides on it, but Sunday is looking nice so I'll get a ride in this weekend. I can't see how you wouldn't gain power even with stock two piston calipers. Now I can put the bike on its nose at fifty mph with one finger, that wasn't happening with the stock master cylinder. With a quick search I found svracingparts.com and they have what looks like a direct replacement radial master cylinder for $240. Have you changed pad compounds or swapped rubber lines for steel braided?

Rode today, took dad on some single track that he had no business being on yet.

He hooked a tree, tore off a shroud, bent up the radiator guards as well lol.

Finding a set of shrouds for a '12 husaburg te300 isnt looking that promising

Well the only shrouds he could find came in a full plastic set. So he sent $500 to Slovakia and has his fingers crossed that that is actually a place

Ugh, that hurts.

I've been debating selling my 09 Husky due to parts getting scarce. It really just sits in the back room collecting dust as it is.

Everything else on that bike besides the tank, looks to be 08-10 ktm plastic. So pretty easy to get. But those damn shrouds......

Fiddle fucking with the 350 today. Mainly just playin with the suspension, trying to get this thing rideable

This doesnt help anything
Resized_20230219_114545_825801408591182.jpeg

Supposedly when my dad picked up this thing. The guy said he had another set of forks for it, that were in storage, an he would bring them by after the holiday.

Dad isnt pushy at all, so he never got the forks. But I'm guessing this is why that guy picked up another set of them

I farmed out the research to a friend with the same bike because he is much more thorough in his research so I went on his recommendation :laughing: The size is 14mm on mine for a single four piston caliper. I can't speak to how much modulation I've gained because I only have a couple of short test rides on it, but Sunday is looking nice so I'll get a ride in this weekend. I can't see how you wouldn't gain power even with stock two piston calipers. Now I can put the bike on its nose at fifty mph with one finger, that wasn't happening with the stock master cylinder. With a quick search I found svracingparts.com and they have what looks like a direct replacement radial master cylinder for $240. Have you changed pad compounds or swapped rubber lines for steel braided?
Interesting! Thanks - that led me to googling up this super interesting can 'o worms -
"Example: 19x16 Billet Non-Folding Radial Brake Master Cylinder

19x16:
This specification indicates two values. The first value is the diameter (ie. bore) of the cylinder in millimeters - it is usually 16mm or 19mm. In this case, the diameter is 19mm. The second value is the inter-axis (ie. distance) between the lever's pivot point and the plunger that pushes into the cylinder - it is usually 16mm, 18mm or 20mm. In this case, it's 16mm.

Now that we know what the numbers are, let's figure out what they mean in terms of braking performance. When you are selecting a master, you need to understand that these values trade-off braking sensitivity and braking power.

For the cylinder diameter, as that value increases, you increase your braking power. As you increase the diameter, you increase your cylinder size and increase the volume of brake fluid that you have to compress. This creates a dampening effect that allows you to better modulate the amount of brake pressure. As a general rule of thumb, you would use a 16xXX for a single caliper set-up anda 19xXX for a dual caliper set-up. Of course, there are always exceptions - for example, the stock master cylinder for Yamaha R1's and R6's (which are made by Brembo) use a 16xXX set-up, despite the fact that they have dual front calipers.

For the inter-axis value, as that value increases (ie. the distance gets longer), you are decreasing your sensitivity and increasing your brake power. I don't want to get into the technical aspect or into the physics of it...that's not the goal of this article. If you feel like you need to know more, I would recommend you search Google or How Stuff Works. In a general comparison between a 19x18 and 19x20 configuration (the most common configurations for sportbikes), a 19x18 has more feel but has a little more lever travel than the 19x20. A 19x20 configuration has more braking power and requires less distance to completely pull in the lever."

credit: Overview of a Brembo Master Cylinders.

Long story short I got some reading to do. Hadn't heard of that site you mention but looks like some good leads on there from people that have already done all the homework. Appreciate the food for thought!

Last edited:
Dropped the 350 off to get the forks fixed and valves adjusted. Am I the only person that gets gets annoyed if there's a new guy behind the counter?

Also broke down and ordered another box of grip studs

Went to go swap the spokes out on the front trail wheel so it would match the back and found out the spoke kit I've had laying on the shelf for a few years now is for my dad's CRF250x instead of a Yamaha. Denied!

thats like when I figured out that KTM and the tusk brand spokes used a different thread:shaking:

Top Back Refresh