Threads:
Discussions:
Photos:

Latest posts

Latest photos

Group events

Irate Motorcycle Group.

What you do to your MC today?

350sx riding single track like a jackass. What kinda mileage can I expect from a tank of fuel?

I remember you talking about your pops getting that bike. What year is it again? Generation and tank size are good indicators of range :flipoff2:

Its a 16. Tank sure looks small on it

We went an rode and he's mentioned a few times now that maybe he bought the wrong bike.

Have a buddy getting ready to sell a 300. See what happens this weekend but I might end up with the 350.

Its a 16. Tank sure looks small on it

We went an rode and he's mentioned a few times now that maybe he bought the wrong bike.

Have a buddy getting ready to sell a 300. See what happens this weekend but I might end up with the 350.
Googler says 1.8gal on the sxf. 350s get unbelievably good fuel range if you don't ride them on the pin all the time, but I still wouldn't trust much more than 45 miles on it without a tank upgrade.

I kinda had a feeling he wasn't going to like that bike. Motocross models and woods riding generally don't mix for older dudes who aren't trying to run the ragged edge. an xcf-w probably would have been better, but then again, a 300 will also serve nicely.

40ish is an average ride but 60 miles does happen, then theres hill climb days....so need a bigger tank.

I kinda had a feeling he wasn't going to like that bike.

Yea im not suprised either. Talking with him his last bike was a drz400. Fucker had it geared 11/53!

I had a hell of a time on the 450 this weekend. Intended to swap the piston and complete the whole job on saturday. Ended up dropping a head bolt washer down into the crank case while reassembling and had to pull the engine the rest of the way out of the frame, turn it upside down and shake it like a paint can until the thing finally popped back out, so it spent saturday night with the engine torn apart sitting on the floor instead of being in process of being put back together. Fuuuuuuuck.

Made decent headway on sunday though, engine is back together and mounted in frame, wiring harness is all ran again. Just needs cooling system (putting new radiators on), intake, and fuel tank now. Not that bad but still way more of a pain in the ass than I had anticipated. :shaking:

How many hours you getting out of a top end ?
Generally speaking as many as I want. My 2015 YZ450 went all the way to ~310 hrs before I did the top end and even then, the piston and cylinder were in great shape.

This bike ingested a fair amount of dust at around 80 hours and I felt like it'd been starting to run slow recently, so I bit the bullet at ~140hrs.

I probably would've pushed it to 200 if it was still running strong.

My buddy bought a 350 off an Irate member a couple years ago. That thing is QUICK. Good luck with your purchase!

Need to get it set up for the woods. Will snag an XC fuel tank at some point, Probly stick a 18" rim on it once this tire is smoked.
Resized_20230124_071036_1785931148310168.jpeg

Sexy! I'm getting one of those next to see if I want to make the grand switch away from yamaha.

The 350s I've ridden make me question everything. They're incredibly light, nimble, they start easy, they're reliable, and they're total rockets when revved and shifted properly. 10/10.

I'm getting an XC though. I dont have to build mx bikes into desert bikes anymore so I'm not gonna :flipoff2:

This bike has a pretty funky feeling clutch. Popped the top off the master cylinder an there's a bunch of rubber pieces floating in the fluid. Thinkin that's probly not helping anything

So my forks are right at 110psi and the thing is brutal. My buddies XC runs at 135 and its about perfect

Will be a few days till I can mess with the bike. But is the valving that different between the sx an xc? Or did this clown just fuck up things with the clickers?

It is definitely going to feel stiffer than an XC, though I wouldnt think the difference would be earth shattering. Does that thing have the dreaded 4CS's on it or newer air forks?

If you're having comfort issues and know your air setting clickers would be the very first place I'd start digging around.

It's also an older model and the air forks have been steadily improving over time. Could he the difference in tech you're feeling. Idk though.

I completely fucked the dog on my top end rebuild last weekend but got the bike all back together, changed out a pinched rear tube, and took it on its maiden voyage with the new piston today. Man am I glad I did that before KoH and before my first race of the season next weekend. It RIPS! Fun times.
20230121_140724.jpg
20230121_145458.jpg
IMG_0198_exported_7863008400878946040.jpg

It is definitely going to feel stiffer than an XC, though I wouldnt think the difference would be earth shattering. Does that thing have the dreaded 4CS's on it or newer air forks?

If you're having comfort issues and know your air setting clickers would be the very first place I'd start digging around.

It's also an older model and the air forks have been steadily improving over time. Could he the difference in tech you're feeling. Idk though.

I made it about 2 miles from the truck before I said fuck it and turned back..... Put 40psi in the front tire and thats bout what it felt like.

Power was weird too. Didnt have shit unless you grabbed a handfull

i wanna say it has the AER48 forks? But im not positive. Forks are bottomed out in the tripple clamps. Didnt bother to mess with the clickers today. I was just disgusted with the thing.

I made it about 2 miles from the truck before I said fuck it and turned back..... Put 40psi in the front tire and thats bout what it felt like.

Power was weird too. Didnt have shit unless you grabbed a handfull
Those both sound pretty standard for a 4 stroke MX bike in the woods to me. I've never been on a bike in PNW trails with a motocross spec fork that worked well without a revalve. MX bike power delivery is always tilted more to the high revs than the off-road models. I don't know about them European space machines but on the Japanese bikes the cams and often cylinder head are different between the off-road and MX models.

A suspension revalve and a Rekluse would go a long ways toward making that 350 more enjoyable in the woods.

Had a 540sx a while back and while it was twitchy in the slow stuff, it didnt beat the hell out of you.

Zero interest in a recluse

A revalve would go a long ways to making it better. That said, its not really a bike that I wanted to start with. And it is a lil more clapped out than I first thought

If I can get my money back out of it, I will.

Had a 540sx a while back and while it was twitchy in the slow stuff, it didnt beat the hell out of you.

Zero interest in a recluse

A revalve would go a long ways to making it better. That said, its not really a bike that I wanted to start with. And it is a lil more clapped out than I first thought

If I can get my money back out of it, I will.

My CRF450L is like that—really a pretty comfy ride, but twitchy in the slow stuff. I have a Steinle flywheel weight that I’m planning to install to see if that helps with that. I love the power, but want it a bit more user friendly, so my thought was displacement with some stuff to make it rev a bit slower, up and down. It’s much heavier than the bikes you guys are talking about, but it’s a very universal street legal model.

And all I did to it this weekend was to carve up the license plate bracket. I didn’t take a before pic, but it hung down at least 6” further than this and 5” further rearward. I need to do some more tweaking, since it’s obviously crooked now…. :homer:

Anyway, now I can use my handy moto stand/dolly.

F6AD2E89-041B-4689-B386-8DFAAEBA7C3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Been super busy with work, took today off so I could finish getting the Beta ready to go for Sumter NEPG on Sunday.

Mounted up some fresh tires, MX33 front and IRC M5B rear. Ordered new mousses for them but they got delayed in shipping :shaking: Just stuck the newest ones I had in there. Rear feels softer than I'd like but the front is fine still.

20230203_143042-XL.jpg

Before installing those wheels on the bike, I put the rear linkage back together. This is when shit went sideways :mad3:

20230203_164247-L.jpg

Apparently it has been cracked for a while and snapped off when I went to tighten it

20230203_164224-L.jpg

So great, wtf do I do know. I started to inventory what I had to do to get the poor ol' Husky back together. I robbed the front end off for the Beta and it has just been crying in the back storage/crap collection area since :laughing:

20230203_164755-X2.jpg

Well, I've used a lot of parts from the Husky on the Beta anyway, I wonder if the linkage bolts are the same?

Whew.

20230203_165558-L.jpg

Beta is all back together now and loaded up.

Took both bikes out to the moto track since they just made us a fresh layout for the new season. Had a blast on the 450
Blew the 250 up :homer:

Not sure what went wrong. Warmed it up for a few minutes, started throwing down laps, and about midway through the second lap it bogged out and died.

10 seconds after she died I kicked it over and it fired back up. Still seems to run the same, but tons of bearing whirr coming from the bottom end. Guess I should've freshened up the bottom end while I was in there during the build :lmao:

Last edited:
Serviced the race wheels to prep for KoH.
Lubed front bib, reinstalled with same tire
Was planning on reinstalling rear bib as well, but it has the sides of the bib chopped off like it was hit with scissors for quite a bit of distance around one side. Explains the instability problems I was feeling with it. Installed a new Wig Racing Dirt Hoe in 140/80 flavor and a UHD tube. Hopefully that gets me through a few races with no issues.

Bummer about the bike, having a spare one is kinda nice

Have you ran those tires before?
I've run the scoop and the z-series before, this is the first try with this tread pattern.

The z-series is a decent tire with a nice soft compound, great for dry rocks. Carcass is super flimsy though, I got a lot of pinch flats on that tire.

The scoop kicks ass. It's a sand tire with tons of forward drive but the compound is really tough so it lasts forever.

Interested to see how this one does. If it wears anything like the scoop I'll keep buying them for throwaway tires.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to know what you think of them, Its a good looking tire.

Top Back Refresh