What's new

What did you do to your GM today?

Spent an embarrassing amount of time swapping the pickup coil in the distributor, then realizing I hadn't noted #1 position on the cap before yanking all the wires off.
Got that straightened out, set the timing, and it still runs like shit.
Leaning toward - EGR (hung open?), TPS (wonky signal), IAC (probably not, but hey, maybe?), or Fuel pressure regulator/ injectors (truck sat for 8+ years. probably should replace them just because).

Spent an embarrassing amount of time swapping the pickup coil in the distributor, then realizing I hadn't noted #1 position on the cap before yanking all the wires off.
Got that straightened out, set the timing, and it still runs like shit.
Leaning toward - EGR (hung open?), TPS (wonky signal), IAC (probably not, but hey, maybe?), or Fuel pressure regulator/ injectors (truck sat for 8+ years. probably should replace them just because).
What year?

What year?
1987 V2500, 350 TBI, SM465/ 208
It runs, but has a lope like a full race motor.
It's been sitting 8 years.
Has:
New fuel pump/ tank/ lines/ filter.
New plugs/ cap/ rotor/ wires/ pick-up coil
New MAP
New Coolant Temp Sensor
Just checked/ zeroed timing with harness disco'd.

I'm expecting a new ignition coil in a bit (but I don't expect that to change anything)
I am leaning toward a vacuum leak, or bad injectors/ FPR. It's pouring rain today, and I don't have a roof over it, so any diagnosis will need to wait for better weather.
My plan is to check vacuum, and assuming it's ~16inHg, I'll verify TPS voltage, and EGR valve action.
Also plan to verify fuel pressure.

Has:
New MAP
New Coolant Temp Sensor

I'm expecting a new ignition coil in a bit (but I don't expect that to change anything)
I am leaning toward a vacuum leak, or bad injectors/ FPR. It's pouring rain today, and I don't have a roof over it, so any diagnosis will need to wait for better weather.
My plan is to check vacuum, and assuming it's ~16inHg, I'll verify TPS voltage, and EGR valve action.
Make sure that the knock sensor and wire/ connections are in good shape. It's probably melted where it runs through the heat shield by the bellhousing and exhaust manifold. Keep it away from the spark plug wires, they will cause interference with the knock sensor.

same as yesterday
20230104_141548.jpg
nuthin

Developed a pretty good vibration yesterday. Need to drive a little more, but it feels like the TC might be giving up to the ghost. Truck has a 8 spd, and it’s a common issue.

Oil change on the 8.1L Yukon. I still haven't figured out a good way to get the filter out without making a huge mess.

Got my big block back from the machine shop on friday. All steering parts on order. Soon as I get the 2wd steering box from the jy, button up the steering and suspension on the front end and set up my assembly area for the engine it's probably time for another build thread update.

Has:
New MAP
New Coolant Temp Sensor

Updates and cause/ solution here:

The Chronicles of Woodley... 1986 Chevy K20

Last edited:
I'll keep it in mind. I need to get this truck back together asap, it's tore apart. I didn't realize that the manifolds were cracked under the shields otherwise I would have taken different routes to repairing it. If these fail I'll do better research.
But the pump hoist is taking priority and it's also half torn apart. Something is wrong with the clutch doesn't disengage :homer:.
I can get 8.1 stock headers if that would fit on your 454? I'll snap a picture of it later to show full design of it

I can get 8.1 stock headers if that would fit on your 454? I'll snap a picture of it later to show full design of it
I have no I if they are interchangeable. This truck is also equipped with a.i.r. so it needs provisions for those tubes.

Got the engine block painted, and passenger side front leaf spring is cleaned, painted, and reassembled. Now have to take the driver side back off again and move the perch. Not sure why, but the driver side spring really doesn't want to line up with the spring mounts all of a sudden :confused:

Top Back Refresh