What's new

What did you do to your GM today?

total newb Want this?
20221210_132843.jpg
20221210_132829.jpg

That looks exactly like the one that was on my truck, which I apparently threw out.

Went out and started it, it has berry sitting for atleast 6mo...
20221218_162022.jpg

I pulled this out for total newb but he knows how I am about shipping stuff off so....
20221218_161733.jpg

Slowly destroying it over a simple job...
'89 c3500 7.4 400 turbo...
(I had a coworker doing the teardown)

The torque converter shield started rubbing the flexplate to converter bolts. The exhaust had to be removed to remove and inspect the shield. A stud broke off in the manifold :homer:, whatever it needed manifold gaskets anyways. I wasn't paying close enough attention and he destroyed the oil dipstick:homer:, shame on me. While removing the passenger side exhaust manifold he broke a bolt off in the head, ¼" Recessed:shaking:.
While trying to remove the a.i.r. injection piping I broke a tube nut, fawk!.

We got everything removed from the engine and I tried to remove the broken bolt...
I made a small sleeve out of a piece of steel fuel line to keep the weld off of the head. I then welded a washer to the broken bolt and a nut to the washer.
20221226_153533.jpg

That didn't work.
20221226_153728.jpg

The second attempt of the same resulted in the hole being filled with weld:homer:.
I was able to locate and drill a ⅛" hole through the middle of the weld & bolt, but when I tried to drill it out to the size for a ⅜" N.C. tap I couldn't drill through the grade 8 bolt :homer:. I ended up walking off center effectively ruining any chances of drilling the bolt out.

Today I blew it out with a small cutting torch tip and chased the threads with three taps tapered, bottom & plug.
20221227_085504.jpg

Bolt is out, hole is clean and the threads are good.

Upon further investigation both exhaust manifolds are cracked :shaking:, we'll see how big block dorman's hold up...

Parts all ordered besides what I had in stock.

Did some work to make some room in my work area and freed up some time to clean up the gasket surfaces and combustion chambers for the BBC. Those carbon deposits are deceptive, they look hard and dry, but when you brush them off the dust is super oily and nasty. I'm filthy. Also cut the ball-and-socket joints off my headers and TIG'd some V band clamps onto them. I suck at TIG welding.
20221227_142137.jpg
20221227_143136.jpg
20221227_153421.jpg
20221227_153426.jpg

I guess it sort of counts, but I put new plug ends on the snow plow wiring harness. Both truck and plow side. The wires had fatigued and starting breaking at the plug on both sides.

Replaced the mirror.
20230101_172943.jpg
Why not just replace the glass and save yourself most of the work?

Id use v bands if i could ever find them beyond random overpriced diesel internet stuff.
Stop buying 4" brodozer exhaust bullshit and you can find them priced reasonably :flipoff2:

I agree flanges aren't nearly as bad as everyone says. I think most of the problem comes from dumb old men barely more than hand tightening the bolts on their header collector and blowing out the gasket. In the sizes I usually deal in V-bands are the same price or a hair cheaper and not having to give a F about the rotation on the pipe is nice.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 8.49.41 AM.png

Why not just replace the glass and save yourself most of the work?
I was in a car accident. Luckily I was able to mostly drift around the other truck, that turned in front of me. The mirror had broken internals, the other guy bought it.

To remove a mirror off of this year truck, you remove a small plastic cover, three nuts with captured washers and a wire connector.

I’m building shifters for the borg and doubler, painted the front axle, built a hidden winch mount and warn xd9000i winch. The 32 spline 203 input I ordered from ORD just shipped so all this can go together for real soon. Found Some factory 17s and good BFGs to get me on the road, 37s is the long term plan.
357FDD74-9D2E-4EEC-82DD-4584F3DBDF08.jpeg
21D48A42-60FB-43E3-9D7A-A38AD6689348.jpeg
715E25F2-801A-40FE-81EB-CA917CDAD967.jpeg
098EE659-FCBF-4599-9689-707E2DD26FA4.jpeg

M92PV4U you sure like getting exhaust manifold cracking in pieces

My wheel cylinder grenade on the s10, fun times

Not bad for 294k I guess

20230102_162614.jpg

:homer:

What do the shoes look like? Is there a deep groove in the drum?
Your 350 header holding up good still?

I'll take pic but shoes are toasted, metal to metal. Other side is fine but will replace all brake components

Your 350 header holding up good still?
Yeah, still doing good. This 454 got dorman manifolds, we'll see how they hold up :homer:.
I'll take pic but shoes are toasted, metal to metal. Other side is fine but will replace all brake components
That's what I figured, mine blew out, p.o. let the drums go too far and the adjusters were frozen.

Yeah, still doing good. This 454 got dorman manifolds, we'll see how they hold up :homer:.

That's what I figured, mine blew out, p.o. let the drums go too far and the adjusters were frozen.
Want me find some stock 454 headers and get them ceramic coated as I'll bring back in nor cal mid Feb. I think it's like $25 to $40 per header for ceramic coating.

Want me find some stock 454 headers and get them ceramic coated as I'll bring back in nor cal mid Feb. I think it's like $25 to $40 per header for ceramic coating.
I'll keep it in mind. I need to get this truck back together asap, it's tore apart. I didn't realize that the manifolds were cracked under the shields otherwise I would have taken different routes to repairing it. If these fail I'll do better research.
But the pump hoist is taking priority and it's also half torn apart. Something is wrong with the clutch doesn't disengage :homer:.

Top Back Refresh