What's new
  • Check out our new Group Buy Program! We're kicking it off with Baja Designs! $10 Flat rate shipping no matter how much you order!

What did you do for your ford today?

All i can figure it that somehow unstuck the rings.....I bought it back later and it didnt use a drop of oil in 5000 mile changes..??:homer:

Gas engines are done at 90 psi per hole and down. 60 is a mostly dead hole. That engine should have 120 or better across the board. Could be heads, in fact, most likely culprit is heads.

If every hole on an engine is 90 psi or under, that’s when you almost can’t spin it fast enough to start it anymore.

We put new plugs and coil boots in it last night and fired it up. Still has a hard miss.

He wants to take it out and run it hard to see if it will clear up, but this is exactly why he parked it. LOL

Going to hook up Forscan to try and verify misfire counts with cylinder #3. Still never got a check engine light.

I know it is done, he still has hope. I have always tried to never squash hope in my kids.

We got 60-75 psi compression across the board except #3. Adding oil to random cylinders and rechecking we were getting over 200 psi.

Poor girl is just worn out.

We put new plugs and coil boots in it last night and fired it up. Still has a hard miss.

He wants to take it out and run it hard to see if it will clear up, but this is exactly why he parked it. LOL

Going to hook up Forscan to try and verify misfire counts with cylinder #3. Still never got a check engine light.

I know it is done, he still has hope. I have always tried to never squash hope in my kids.

We got 60-75 psi compression across the board except #3. Adding oil to random cylinders and rechecking we were getting over 200 psi.

Poor girl is just worn out.
Let him drive it around and go ahead and run it hard. It’s just a V10. Would he be interested in doing a leak down test? It would show him if the bottom end is ok and valves/guides are shot. Or if it’s rings and worn cylinders with all the blow by.

Let him drive it around and go ahead and run it hard. It’s just a V10. Would he be interested in doing a leak down test? It would show him if the bottom end is ok and valves/guides are shot. Or if it’s rings and worn cylinders with all the blow by.
Biggest problem is he can't decide what he wants to do with it. Deep down he knows it needs a new engine. But he also hopes he could sell it for $5k like it is. I keep telling him more like $1,500 or $2k. Maybe $5k if we throw a used engine in.

Driving it around maybe he will remember how rough it rode, how it has a sticky ball joint and steering will not center, the coolant reservoir leaks, and a whole list of other things he never fixed. It has been sitting long enough that is probably has a sticky brake caliper. Maybe a brake line is rusted through by now.

Basically he needs to remember how bad it really is. I think he is just holding on to dreams and fond memories. Normal 23 year old kid stuff.

That old excursion is a long way from the 2018 F150 he is driving now.

Biggest problem is he can't decide what he wants to do with it. Deep down he knows it needs a new engine. But he also hopes he could sell it for $5k like it is. I keep telling him more like $1,500 or $2k. Maybe $5k if we throw a used engine in.

Driving it around maybe he will remember how rough it rode, how it has a sticky ball joint and steering will not center, the coolant reservoir leaks, and a whole list of other things he never fixed. It has been sitting long enough that is probably has a sticky brake caliper. Maybe a brake line is rusted through by now.

Basically he needs to remember how bad it really is. I think he is just holding on to dreams and fond memories. Normal 23 year old kid stuff.

That old excursion is a long way from the 2018 F150 he is driving now.
Is this one of the ones you guys were doing a build on? Or is that a different son?

Is this one of the ones you guys were doing a build on? Or is that a different son?
They both have one.
Other son has the 6.0. Hope to paint the new body tonight or tomorrow. Then it is go time.

20231105_144907.jpg

I put the vacuum lines back on for one last smog in CA. Also put the baby tires on it so I can drive it until I can afford regearing.

IMG_6146.jpeg

IMG_6147.jpeg

I’m afraid this might be the look for a while since we’re home shopping and moving across the country by the end of the year. Needs these tires for when I ship the truck as well.

Oil change, cut and installed plexiglass to close in the topper after having both for a year. Topper was nearly free having no back glass and the hatch all bent up. Had to source a new piece of aluminum for the bottom.
20240921_155732.jpg

Got home from painting the oldest son's excursion Saturday to Find my youngest son has started yanking out the V10.

Was rather shocked. He usually doesn't start the projects all on his own.

He still thinks there is a cheap fix to it. Going to help him finish pulling it and let him tear it apart.

Can't imagine the cylinders are not worn out and a re ring kit would hold very long. Part shopping says $1000 for engine tech brand rebuild parts.
Had mixed luck with engine tech stuff.

Still hoping to talk him into a used one. You can get them with 150k miles for $1000 with warranty from junk yards.

20240921_180745.jpg

Got home from painting the oldest son's excursion Saturday to Find my youngest son has started yanking out the V10.

Was rather shocked. He usually doesn't start the projects all on his own.

He still thinks there is a cheap fix to it. Going to help him finish pulling it and let him tear it apart.

Can't imagine the cylinders are not worn out and a re ring kit would hold very long. Part shopping says $1000 for engine tech brand rebuild parts.
Had mixed luck with engine tech stuff.

Still hoping to talk him into a used one. You can get them with 150k miles for $1000 with warranty from junk yards.

20240921_180745.jpg
either way sounds like a go-getter:usa:

Next steps on the 75 F100: The timing chain smoothed it out a lot. Next issue is all the smoke at startup.

So much oil came out when I pulled off the valve cover, you would have thought I removed a full oil pan.

New valve seals - 2 down, 14 to go.
Holley .070 jet in the oil port
Cleaned out the clogged oil returns. There were pieces of umbrella seals packed in with sludge. The oil had to return through upper ports to the intake manifold.

IMG_0260.jpeg

IMG_0262.jpeg

How many miles on this one?
I don't know, over 250k. He bought it with like 190k on it.

Seems like 300k is the upper end of these v10 engines. So I expect everything to be worn out. He also loves to let it idle for long periods so that didn't help.

It is all lose. Ready for cherry picker tomorrow night.

I don't know, over 250k. He bought it with like 190k on it.

Seems like 300k is the upper end of these v10 engines. So I expect everything to be worn out. He also loves to let it idle for long periods so that didn't help.

It is all lose. Ready for cherry picker tomorrow night.
I'm interested in seeing what the cylinders look like, if it gets that far.

Got the new carb on the EB dialed in and running smoothly. I also swapped out the cracked steering wheel and replaced the valve cover bolts with some better fasteners. The cylinder heads look nice and clean. Other than needing a new battery its ready to hit the road and put it up for sale.

20221203_123852.jpg
20180707_145709.jpg
20180704_113833.jpg
Nice, what does eb like that go for now?

Working on this V10 Ford, Kind of interesting, is this normal?

The cylinder, every cylinder is .001-.002" wider than it is tall. This is a 130k motor with a dropped valve. We don't have the 250K motor apart yet. Going on the stand later today.

But no where is there more than .002" wear so a re ring should work good.

The bearings and crank look good of course.

The cylinder with the dropped valve is borderline. I can see the scratches, I can feel the scratches. I would bore it, but maybe we should try to hone it first?

Need to get the other block apart to compare.

20240930_095356.jpg
20240930_095438.jpg
20240930_094335.jpg
20240930_095735.jpg

250k mile V10, spot checking bore measures the same, maybe better. We can measure .003" variance but .001" of that is actually less than the 130K mile block we measured yesterday.

Going to pull the rest of the pistons and measure all the bores on it. Inspect the pistons.

Can visibly see no reason for low compression on one cylinder. Yet. Head looks fine, piston looks fine from the top.

Did not expect that. So next question, new valves? Re do the heads? Or grind them? Or run them?

20241001_090839.jpg
20241001_090754.jpg

Pulled the rest of the old rubber mat off the driver side and found some not great looking floor, guess I'm going to have to patch this side too before the sound deadening and carpet show up :shaking:
1000020926.jpg
1000020928.jpg

Drug the explorer sport trac into the shop to start tear down into a wheeler.
Then I measured the wheelbase. 126” stock. Fitting 42” rubber under there is going to stretch that to -140” if I don’t completely chop the firewall.
Starting to wonder if this is the rig I should build. I can put a tranny in it and flip it for at least double what I have in it.

Opinions? This will be a mostly snow wheeler with occasional trips to Moab and Sand Hollow.

In a twist of events. Pulled apart the 250k mile block.

First thing, piston ring, second ring broken on cylinder 8. There were also some very sticky rings, but so hard to tell if they were stuck before you popped them out of the engine.

then we found a few cylinders way out of spec.

I think this was the worst. When I measure the cylinder front to back it seems okay, pretty normal. Not really any taper.

Turn the tool 90 degrees and it is .015" out of round.

Not okay.

So now we are back to tearing apart the 130k mile block the rest of the way to re measure it.

20241002_110327.jpg
20241002_111351.jpg
20241002_111406.jpg

Drug the explorer sport trac into the shop to start tear down into a wheeler.
Then I measured the wheelbase. 126” stock. Fitting 42” rubber under there is going to stretch that to -140” if I don’t completely chop the firewall.
Starting to wonder if this is the rig I should build. I can put a tranny in it and flip it for at least double what I have in it.

Opinions? This will be a mostly snow wheeler with occasional trips to Moab and Sand Hollow.
I’ll bite:
Snow - full size pu with big block a flat bed and chopped front fenders
Moab/Sand Hollow - mini truck tubed out or let it raisin like a Toyota.

Top Back Refresh