What's new

Useless things about your day!

What's the entry fee for 486's concrete death trap house of terror tour? I'd probably pay it.
I tried to go visit when my brother lived relatively close but no luck. I think he actually lives in a mansion in St Paul.

I might try again if I make a fishing trip in that general area before winter this year.

steel siding
In that case I think you need something to resist the wind forces on the end walls that are trying to fold the whole thing over.

You're basically building an old post and beam house. Some of your highway cable railing rebar and turnbuckles making an X on the back wall of the end racks would probably be more than enough.

You probably could get away without it but I think it will move enough to cause issues over time from things moving and loosening up and that's stupid when even the most petty reinforcement would make it a complete non-issue.

Don't see many houses framed with much triangulation...
They stopped doing that when the walls started having enough studs in them that nailing the siding to those studs did the job well enough.

Look at any early 1800s house. It will almost certainly (i.e. every one I ever looked at to that extent did) have the corner posts triangulated to the sill.

I got stung by a wasp like asshole as soon as I closed my front door this more. Good morning world!

Edit, it was a yellowjacket

Last edited:
What's the entry fee for 486's concrete death trap house of terror tour? I'd probably pay it.
Mostly just a matter of "I don't trust anyone to not be feds"

I am eventually going to need to get the fuck over that in the next few months though, gotta pour another floor before the ground freezes and I just don't got it in me to do it alone again, it was easy when I'd spent the entire previous two years digging, but that level of conditioning ain't no more

I called City Hall and got the number for the Court Clerk. There was no listed # for the prosecutor listed on their website and the City Hall operator claimed to not have it either. She did give me the court clerk's number though so I called her and left a VM stating that I recieved a speeding ticket and wanted to talk about getting it reduced to a non moving violation. We'll see if I get a call back. Would like to bypass the good ol' boy club of attorneys if I can.
Update to this. found my docket on Case.net and got the prosecutor's #. called her and asked to plead down to a non moving or something. She informed me that she can't plead it down with an unlicensed person. ie if you aren't in our club we can't talk to you. you gotta pay the cost of the fine or pay one of our people to do what I can do, but wont. :shaking:

fine is $103 and 3 points I think. last ticket I got for 17 over (52 in a 35) in the same town ironically cost me $350ish. fuck!

Looking on zillow, and I see this. How that wouldnt drive somebody insane, I do not know:laughing:

1721237473636.png

Got to thinking.

I want shelves on the side of my pole shed, so I'll probably have pallet racking up at some point.
I could just build that wall out of pallet racking.

Stick some wood purlins on it with carriage bolts to hold tin on, run a 2x12 along the top to set the trusses on...

Am I being retarded? That racking has ridiculous load ratings, way more than I'd need.
i was going to build one with 12' pallet racking down the east and west wall. no purlings at all, just screw to the cross bar in the middle and light angle top and bottom.

They stopped doing that when the walls started having enough studs in them that nailing the siding to those studs did the job well enough.

Look at any early 1800s house. It will almost certainly (i.e. every one I ever looked at to that extent did) have the corner posts triangulated to the sill.
Yes and no- not sure it has to do with the amount of studs vs the sheathing material and fasteners, but yes on old houses there would be corner triangulation, but not over the whole span of the face wall. At least not in the ones I have worked on/seen.

I think the wall triangulation went away with the switch from board sided to plywood.

Some anything x brace on the racking and done. 1/8 flat stock or something. If your sheet siding isn't 32g rice paper corrugated then just screwing it right to the rack so it's in plane is probably fine.

Got to thinking.

I want shelves on the side of my pole shed, so I'll probably have pallet racking up at some point.
I could just build that wall out of pallet racking.

Stick some wood purlins on it with carriage bolts to hold tin on, run a 2x12 along the top to set the trusses on...

Am I being retarded? That racking has ridiculous load ratings, way more than I'd need.
search Garage Journal Forums. I've seen builds with multiple walls from pallet rack on there.

no purlings at all, just screw to the cross bar in the middle and light angle top and bottom.
That's looking pretty good in my mind's eye
have to do some funky stuff with flashing at the bottom to keep the mice and shit out (no rat board) but that does seem like the way to go. Don't gotta have a shelf every 4' or whatever, just have the cross bar on the wall side but not on the interior side...

I shot my first-ever Steel Challenge pistol shoot this morning. Weather was perfect. I sucked, and got second to last place in my class. Had an absolute blast. I’m going to try to head out to the gun club every Saturday that I’m in town and the weather is tolerable to see if I can get out of last place. :homer:

Some of my issues were simply procedural dumbassery, but most of it was my low hit accuracy.

I shot my first-ever Steel Challenge pistol shoot this morning. Weather was perfect. I sucked, and got second to last place in my class. Had an absolute blast. I’m going to try to head out to the gun club every Saturday that I’m in town and the weather is tolerable to see if I can get out of last place. :homer:

Some of my issues were simply procedural dumbassery, but most of it was my low hit accuracy.

Maybe you just have to adjust your viewpoint.

bb.jpg

Top Back Refresh