What's new

Useless things about your day!

ain't they got a lotta voltage going though them?

make a tub to dunk it in something like transformer oil
maybe a really clean and dry mineral oil would be easier to get, like vacuum pump oil...
Nothing crazy, it's reading the raw arc voltage so usually around 125v.

Hopefully they send me out a new one under warranty quick and not spend 2 days of phone diagnosis. I hate being down.

Did the Grom vline2 install today.
Minor pita.
I need to hit them up and see if they'll sell me the connector that goes to the factory USB in the center console so I can make a cable to connect that back to the vline. Their install just leaves it disconnected but it was a nice thing to have for hidden phone charging.
IMG_20240623_133052307.jpg
IMG_20240623_140400834.jpg
IMG_20240623_140849379.jpg

I also need to see if I can set up an app to use it as a dashcam, but waiting on my upgrade to Android 12 before I start ducking with any of that. It has two cameras inputs and an SD card slot so my hope is to run front and rear cameras into it and save video to the card.
They acted like nobody ever tried it when I asked. I think they should add the functionality as it would be a nice selling point. If that works then I have to route camera wires and figure out where to hide cameras.
There's no hiding the spaghetti mess of harnesses but at least you can't see it from the seat.
IMG_20240623_160311480_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240623_160259814_HDR.jpg

She has however lost the ability to store her 90s sized CD wallet in there.

Or find out what they use in the south where its really humid. I have no idea
Shops built deep into a hill so it's really cool inside, open up for the fan to exhaust the room on a hot humid day and everything gets to sweating. That control doesn't seem wet, but I've only had these die under that condition.

Shops built deep into a hill so it's really cool inside, open up for the fan to exhaust the room on a hot humid day and everything gets to sweating. That control doesn't seem wet, but I've only had these die under that condition.
Easy to take apart? May want to just hose it all down with corrosionx.

Oh right you gotta worry about air quality now, dang

Easy to take apart? May want to just hose it all down with corrosionx.
betting they let the smoke out when the plasma arc voltage decides to find a better path home

Oh right you gotta worry about air quality now, dang

betting they let the smoke out when the plasma arc voltage decides to find a better path home
It's still sorta working. I watch it reading normally and it drops to some erratic low voltage at random, so I guess maybe I can dry it out, spray it and see before it's totally smoked.

Ok, I've somewhat dealt with this on a redneck level.

You've got cool shop interior (closed) with hot humid outside. Open the shop and it sweats. My last shop did this in spring and fall here before I insulated the walls. I could go out there on a warm April day (or November etc), open all the doors, and 2 hours later the floor would be soaked. Shit dripping off the ceiling. All bare metal turns orange.

I fixed it temporarily by running a little 20" shop fan 24/7. Just randomly blowing through the center of the shop. 30x60x14. I have no idea how or why this worked, but it worked. Never sweated again as long as the fan was running. Hopefully a science person can explain.

I fixed it temporarily by running a little 20" shop fan 24/7. Just randomly blowing through the center of the shop. 30x60x14. I have no idea how or why this worked, but it worked. Never sweated again as long as the fan was running. Hopefully a science person can explain.
It moves the air out just fast enough so that there is never a huge temp/humidity differential.

Shit needs more than a couple degree temp differential to sweat.

It moves the air out just fast enough so that there is never a huge temp/humidity differential.

Shit needs more than a couple degree temp differential to sweat.
everything in the shop's still 20 degrees colder than the dew point outside

unless the fan was defeating the insulation and bringing the inside temperature up to above the dew point outside

welded out the bottom of the tine bucket thing
used my newest ground lead, picked it up for cheap because the ends were a bit green, was thinking about cleaning them when I was hooking them up but decided to just monitor it and forgot all about it
noticed the welder needing a lot more voltage than normal to burn back than it normally needs, shoulda clued me in
smelled hot plastic when I was done and oh hey both the lc40s are just about smoking, one of them melted the plastic jacket a little bit, fuck

shoulda wire brushed the shits to begin with, oh well

welded out the bottom of the tine bucket thing
used my newest ground lead, picked it up for cheap because the ends were a bit green, was thinking about cleaning them when I was hooking them up but decided to just monitor it and forgot all about it
noticed the welder needing a lot more voltage than normal to burn back than it normally needs, shoulda clued me in
smelled hot plastic when I was done and oh hey both the lc40s are just about smoking, one of them melted the plastic jacket a little bit, fuck

I have started making a point to do stuff like that when I think of it. Entirely for that reason. When I need it, I want to grab it and use it- not have to fix it to use it, or have to think about what I wanted to 'check'. It makes more work, but I have found I am actually more prone to do a job now that I know I can just grab the tools and do 'that' job and only that job.

Its a love hate relationship I have with my internal self ha :beer:

everything in the shop's still 20 degrees colder than the dew point outside
Yeah it can happen but it's way harder to achieve such big temp differentials if the "old" air isn't stagnant acting like insulation.

Shit don't sweat nearly as frequently in my outbuilding that doesn't hold air at all nearly as frequently as it sweats in the one that leaks less air.

We're talking like front end loader counterweight vs milling machine here so it is a pretty even comparison.

Ok, I've somewhat dealt with this on a redneck level.

You've got cool shop interior (closed) with hot humid outside. Open the shop and it sweats. My last shop did this in spring and fall here before I insulated the walls. I could go out there on a warm April day (or November etc), open all the doors, and 2 hours later the floor would be soaked. Shit dripping off the ceiling. All bare metal turns orange.

It sweats because the cool surface condense hot, moist air.

By moving air ,the temps of the air, & the temp of the surface become close enough not to sweat.

I can go into humidity and how it’s measured. Relative humidity , the moisture the air can hold, relative to the temperature of the air . But what really gives you insight is if you measure it in DEW POINT, the temperature at which the moisture in the air will condense on a surface. Dew point is really a better way to discuss humidity. Because it’s not relative to the air temp.

At least that’s my guess on what you’ve got going on.

Last edited:
Ran down to the shop yesterday to try and get caught up on a few jobs. Ended up spending the day going through bolt bins and organizing the shop instead. So spent today getting caught up.

Oh well. Least tomorrow wont be a shit show...I hope:laughing:

It sweats because the cool surface condense hot, moist air.

By moving air the temps of the air and the temp of the surface become close enough not to sweat.

I can go into humidity and how it’s measured. Relative humidity , the moisture the air can hold, relative to the temperature of the air . But what really gives you insight is if you measure it in DEW POINT, the temperature at which the moisture in the air will condense on a surface. Dew point is really a better way to discuss humidity. Because it’s not relative to the air temp.

At least that’s my guess on what you’ve got going on.
Sounds good to me. All I know is certain wild temp swing days, no fan, I could go in there and bust my ass on a soaked floor. Little fan on low blowing down the middle fixed it. No more ceiling/ floor sweat, indoor humidity was noticeably less.

The roof was insulated but walls and doors weren't. I soon studded out the walls and insulated it and insulated the doors and it never sweated again.

I drove 50 mi for a $50 craigslist electric concrete saw
it had sold minutes before I even got in the car, at least they were nice enough to tell me that
when I got there
Drove a couple hours for a nice aluminum flat back canoe. Call the number to tell them I'm outside like planned. Got told someone bought it the night before despite specifically discussing that with the seller the previous night and being assured they would not do that. In retrospect I should've seen what a Lesbaru would do to their landscaping. She'd probably have never done that shit again if I did.

INB4 one of the four usual scumbags shows up to tell us how lying through your teeth is perfectly ok.

In retrospect I should've seen what a Lesbaru would do to their landscaping. She'd probably have never done that shit again if I did.

That reminded me of a useless story.

Back in younger days my friend and I went to a little party at his sort of gf's house. I got a bottle of Dubra and we started day drinking. I'm playing with a chick in the pool and my friends gf says not to let her drink more she's got a problem. :redflag: She wants to go get more beer so the two of us jump in my jeep and go pick up a few 12 packs.

On the way back she says let's prank my friend, we always mess with each other. Pull in the drive and she's all like do donuts in the yard. So I tear it up. Grass, flower beds it was kinda fucked. Tells me to stop and jumps out. Standing in the yard she screams fuckin cvnt and blows out the house bay window with a beer bottle. So I realized this wasn't a just messing with a friend deal. :laughing: Got her and I the fuck out of there. She left me with her phone and a wallet pic of her in lingerie on her horse.

That was a fun one.

Top Back Refresh