What's new

Useless things about your day!

Have you broke down the cost/benefit of fixing your preheat versus buying more ether with this loss rate?
:flipoff2:
pistons are cut and the injector nozzles are far too large
besides, having good glow plugs and a good starter would require a good battery

with the sauce introduced through a hose directly to the intake manifold it pops over with about 2 crank revolutions

pistons are cut and the injector nozzles are far too large
besides, having good glow plugs and a good starter would require a good battery

with the sauce introduced through a hose directly to the intake manifold it pops over with about 2 crank revolutions

Seems like your steeping over dollars to pick up dimes.

I've been noticing that my cans of ether will leak slowly after I use them once, like 'set it down and a month later the top is full of leaked juice and there's only 1/3 of a can left'
maybe it's time to start looking for some sorta miniature sure-shot type apparatus?
Something else is fucked up. I've never had that happen and I have cans that sit beside various equipment that only gets used seasonally (snow blower, lawnmower, etc)

Something else is fucked up. I've never had that happen and I have cans that sit beside various equipment that only gets used seasonally (snow blower, lawnmower, etc)
dunno man, it's been a couple brands
napa, penray, FVP, and solder-seal
btw, those are listed in their relative spiciness, weak to strong

Seems like your steeping over dollars to pick up dimes.
well I can see your point in my worrying about buying a $40 sure-shot can to avoid wasting a $5 can of ether
but that's exactly the kind of retardation that makes my world go around

well I can see your point in my worrying about buying a $40 sure-shot can to avoid wasting a $5 can of ether
but that's exactly the kind of retardation that makes my world go around

when you knock that sure-shot off the table and fuck up the tip. Dont drill it out with 1/16" drill. Its a bit much:laughing:

dunno man, it's been a couple brands
napa, penray, FVP, and solder-seal
btw, those are listed in their relative spiciness, weak to strong
I assume Supertech is off the chart on the low end. :laughing:

dunno, don't often find myself in walmart

I kinda like the weaker stuff, it makes less "bad noises" when you misjudge the engine's temperature
Ever try some of the more volatile brake cleaner or carb cleaner? 3M brake cleaner makes credible starting fluid without big racket

Napa is constantly running deals on it that makes it about as cheap as super tech from Walmart. At least around here.
One local store buys it by the multiple pallet loads so they can run that special going year round

Thats all I used to buy. Just because it actually did something and a can lasted longer. Been a while since I saw it on sale though

Ever try some of the more volatile brake cleaner or carb cleaner? 3M brake cleaner makes credible starting fluid without big racket
I've heard they don't make the good stuff (iirc the part number ends in 888?) any more, now they only make the VOC restricted stuff that's shit

either way, it's what I use when the engine's hot, got a case squirrelled away back when it was 8 bucks a can
with a cold engine it... well it's better than nothing but not by much

I've heard they don't make the good stuff (iirc the part number ends in 888?) any more, now they only make the VOC restricted stuff that's shit

either way, it's what I use when the engine's hot, got a case squirrelled away back when it was 8 bucks a can
with a cold engine it... well it's better than nothing but not by much
Sure the low VOC isn’t a MN thing? I buy 6 cases a year and use it for consent fluid often, for gas and diesel applications. Also, $3/can:flipoff2:

Sure the low VOC isn’t a MN thing? I buy 6 cases a year and use it for consent fluid often, for gas and diesel applications. Also, $3/can:flipoff2:
looked around and 08880 shows discontinued everywhere I look
I know 08180 is shit and I doubt the 08179 even lower voc one is anything but worse

You know that shit comes in buckets right?
at that point I'd just be using the garden sprayer full of gasoline
when they got the good stuff at work it was easy to hog-trade with the owner

I buy a can at the grocery store about once a year. Some brand I have never heard of. Surprisingly cheap at about $2.50. Never had a can leak and works fine for the occasional mower and small engine I need it for.

Hopefully this works
20240409_180843.jpg

Is this only because its running on waste oil or does the car actually make power?
I really didn't intend to make my daily into another fast car but I kinda did

Bought it for scrap money and put seals in the IP to get it running,
ran it a while until it chewed up a lifter and put a valve into #3 piston, swapped the head and piston,
blew the turbo shortly after and drove it N/A with the spinny bits gutted out and the oil feed vise gripped
butted the top ring on #1 getting it too hot hauling 10 sheets of 2" styrofoam on the roof (intake dumps into 2 and 3 directly, 1 and 4 indirectly) pulled the head again and swapped #1
noticed a bunch of coke buildup in the combustion chambers and ordered some of that ceramic thermal barrier paint to try and keep the bowls hotter but it didn't show up in time to go in
shortly thereafter I ended up putting some fiat multiair dodge dart turbo on it which actually is pretty nicely sized for the engine if you want spool over top end
then #4 broke its second ring, turns out the top ring had been broken for quite a while, and the top ring land is the only one with a steel land where #2 and the oil ring are in bare aluminum which eventually mushed the second ring down into the oil ring under the combustion pressure
this put a good ring ridge in the block way too far down from the deck to ignore, so it got a block I had laying around already hogged out for .004" piston/wall clearance

at that point I had run out of usable pistons, so I hogged out the bowl on the one that had caught a valve and had to cut the other ones to match, hit them with the ceramic schmoop and tossed them in there
little while later #3 injector shit out its piezoelectric needle lift sensor, and I had some "big retard" ones all assembled on the shelf so they went in

now I'm waiting on the little tiny turbo to die so I can scab a TP38 on there from a superduty application, it's got the smaller housing but it might not be small enough

I really didn't intend to make my daily into another fast car but I kinda did

Bought it for scrap money and put seals in the IP to get it running,
ran it a while until it chewed up a lifter and put a valve into #3 piston, swapped the head and piston,
blew the turbo shortly after and drove it N/A with the spinny bits gutted out and the oil feed vise gripped
butted the top ring on #1 getting it too hot hauling 10 sheets of 2" styrofoam on the roof (intake dumps into 2 and 3 directly, 1 and 4 indirectly) pulled the head again and swapped #1
noticed a bunch of coke buildup in the combustion chambers and ordered some of that ceramic thermal barrier paint to try and keep the bowls hotter but it didn't show up in time to go in
shortly thereafter I ended up putting some fiat multiair dodge dart turbo on it which actually is pretty nicely sized for the engine if you want spool over top end
then #4 broke its second ring, turns out the top ring had been broken for quite a while, and the top ring land is the only one with a steel land where #2 and the oil ring are in bare aluminum which eventually mushed the second ring down into the oil ring under the combustion pressure
this put a good ring ridge in the block way too far down from the deck to ignore, so it got a block I had laying around already hogged out for .004" piston/wall clearance

at that point I had run out of usable pistons, so I hogged out the bowl on the one that had caught a valve and had to cut the other ones to match, hit them with the ceramic schmoop and tossed them in there
little while later #3 injector shit out its piezoelectric needle lift sensor, and I had some "big retard" ones all assembled on the shelf so they went in

now I'm waiting on the little tiny turbo to die so I can scab a TP38 on there from a superduty application, it's got the smaller housing but it might not be small enough
See, this is why you need a basement machine shop. You could get the same results with 9000% more time spent measuring and money spent on tooling. :flipoff2:

Friends of ours just moved.
They have a 6 year old and a 5 year old, both boys. The 5 year old races dirtbikes. The 6 year old doesn't. Last season, when he was 4, the younger one saw some older kids not playing nicely with our then 5 year old son. He came to our camp to tell us, then suggested a solution: "I go beat dem up!"
The 6 year old prefers to watch from the sidelines at races "so he can keep an eye on things and make sure everyone is OK." He will tell you that he'd rather not stand by the starting gate, "I don't really like loud noises."

So since they moved, the boys had to switch schools. Yesterday the younger one (named Maverick:laughing:) saw an older kid picking on his big brother, telling him that he wasn't allowed to play in a specific spot, pushing him around, etc. So the mom gets a call to come down to the school. Mav has been sent to the office, day 3 at his new school. He grabbed an 8 year old, threw him on the ground, and gave him a spanking for picking on his big brother:lmao:.

home stretch of my 1600 mile trip. fuck that makes the solo racers on a baja 1000 even more impressive. never have i done back to back 800 mile days driving. 200 extra miles then battle the terrain and other racers and sabotagers and the car itself.. new found respect to all of them from me.

almost beer time.. waiting on ferry then last 100 miles

I used a winch, tree saver, and snatch block plus got mud on my tires. I basically went wheeling.

Glad this tree is horizontal. Power company didn't seem to care it was in the lines (called twice a year apart). So I winched it away from the lines as I dropped it. Barely brushed the lines, but no sparky sparky so it's a win. I didn't take any pics of the rigging or dropping. Didn't want evidence if it went south.

20240412_200736.jpg
20240412_200618.jpg

20240412_200629.jpg

I'll chop it into 10' chunks and bring it to the town burn pile this weekend. Skid steer can carry the limbs up the highway so it's pretty easy work.

Last edited:
had to chop up this core support and widen it so the newer ac condenser would fit. 96 guts in a 90 van body. EVERYTHING is different in some way!
But its now a shorty with a 350/4l80 with 75K on it.

Attachments

• van front.jpg
    van front.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 2
  • van shorty.jpg
    van shorty.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • van shorty1.jpg
    van shorty1.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
Top Back Refresh