What's new

Ttb steering?

Arickvan

PBB transfer
Member Number
Loc
Oakley CA
Y'all ever seen a steering setup like this?

I saw it at the hammers this year
PXL_20230208_170016640.jpg
PXL_20230208_165945216.jpg

Ya I'm curious, I know steering for those ttbs is never super ideal
The tie rod to the wheels are the same length, but they are not as long as the pivot arms. So I would imagine toe in/out would change evenly which is good, but still create an uneasy steering feel when landing after a large bump.

That's the D50 steering. It doesn't work well, not any better than stock.

If somebody tried to do that on a 44, it would be comical.:lmao:

That's the D50 steering. It doesn't work well, not any better than stock.

I think it's better than stock D50 y steering. That center pivot bar multiplies the steering distance; I predict it can steer more angle than stock, or at least quickens the ratio.

I think it's better than stock D50 y steering. That center pivot bar multiplies the steering distance; I predict it can steer more angle than stock, or at least quickens the ratio.
It's all about the bumpsteer. The P side will be better than stock, the D side will be about the same. Toe change will go "in" in bump and droop where the stocker is close to zero in bump and way in in droop. Pick your poison.

I reckon bumpsteer is minimized overall because the lower links are level... much like push/pull steer on a solid axle minimizes bumpsteer when the drag link is level.

Would be cool if the owner randomly chimed in for a commentary :smokin:

You're still going to get bump steer with the "half swing set" but it looks like it's centered on the ttb pivot point, so it should be "better" :confused:

Here's solo motorsports swing steering for comparison to a full swing set style of steering
Single-Swing-Steering-Ford-Bronco-F-150-13-515x381.jpg

I reckon bumpsteer is minimized overall because the lower links are level...
No. What you want on a TTB is for your steering pivot points to be inline with the pivot axis of the beam/radius arm. Level has nothing to do with it. D50 beams are shorter than D44 beams. This will make the steering pivot points closer together, but not that close. In reality, the pivots would need to be about a foot apart and up a little.

Well I mean it's still a ttb :flipoff2:

Would that swing set style be the most ideal setup for a d50?
Yes. On my 97 F250, I converted it to coils and did a swingset. Drove really nice after that. I was looking for pics but I don't think I have them any more.

Yes. On my 97 F250, I converted it to coils and did a swingset. Drove really nice after that. I was looking for pics but I don't think I have them any more.
What did you use to convert it to coils? I saw that one of the go-fast desert truck places has a D50 coil conversion kit, but it's $$$$$. I can't help but think there should be an easier junk yard way.

What did you use to convert it to coils? I saw that one of the go-fast desert truck places has a D50 coil conversion kit, but it's $$$$$. I can't help but think there should be an easier junk yard way.
Made coil buckets and used 3" coil over springs. Way easier to swap rates. I converted my 2000 over to 3" springs for the same reason.

You could also get the coil buckets from a 99-03 f250 2X and bolt them on. Spring selection for those sucks balls though. I was running 650# springs.

Essentially this is a super lazy swing steering. To do it correctly would be 2 swingers but this works and is probably as effective as stock for bumpsteer. Those are D50 TTB beams so the 2 swingers only need to be a couple inches apart to get proper geometry but more work that they wanted to do clearly

Made coil buckets and used 3" coil over springs. Way easier to swap rates. I converted my 2000 over to 3" springs for the same reason.

You could also get the coil buckets from a 99-03 f250 2X and bolt them on. Spring selection for those sucks balls though. I was running 650# springs.
Don’t know why it’s never crossed my mind to use coil over springs.

What did you do for radius arms?

If any of you are on the GarageJournal, you probably know of Gregor(Sakamura or something like that is his login). Anyway, super picky, smart guy. One of the few times I've seen him lose his cool is when he had his E-series van converted to 4WD. Done by a PAC NW guy who is in a wheelchair from his duty in the sandbox, does these conversions. Gregor had death wobble. Talked to the guy who did the conversion, didn't go into much detail but took the van elsewhere, which implies he was already starting to be... on edge. Had changes made by someone who sounded a little like he was shooting in the dark, and came back on the board saying it was not fully fixed, didn't want to talk about it, and hasn't brought it up since, but put some considerable mileage on it...(?)
So anyway, I'm smart about lots of things, but not this.
What do we know able death wobble on Eseries van conversations? and is the instagram uber-welder's dual vertical links - or any of this- going to help put that to bed? Not going to quote you to him, just me trying to get smarter.

If any of you are on the GarageJournal, you probably know of Gregor(Sakamura or something like that is his login). Anyway, super picky, smart guy. One of the few times I've seen him lose his cool is when he had his E-series van converted to 4WD. Done by a PAC NW guy who is in a wheelchair from his duty in the sandbox, does these conversions. Gregor had death wobble. Talked to the guy who did the conversion, didn't go into much detail but took the van elsewhere, which implies he was already starting to be... on edge. Had changes made by someone who sounded a little like he was shooting in the dark, and came back on the board saying it was not fully fixed, didn't want to talk about it, and hasn't brought it up since, but put some considerable mileage on it...(?)
So anyway, I'm smart about lots of things, but not this.
What do we know able death wobble on Eseries van conversations? and is the instagram uber-welder's dual vertical links - or any of this- going to help put that to bed? Not going to quote you to him, just me trying to get smarter.
Are you talking about the superduty straight axle conversion?

The biggest mistake most people make when doing that is getting caster wrong by pointing the pinion at the t-case yoke. With radius arms it’s easy to get piss poor handling characteristics. Then to top it off, the people doing the “fixing” are usually attempting bandaids to make it seem ok because it’s a lot of work to rotate the whole housing back after the fact of the initial build.

Pretty sure that was a 05 up straight axle swap. Older frames need some reinforcements to take the side loading from the track bar. Combine the noodley frame with poor castor and you get a really fun package.

Update, small note from the owner of the van on Instagram was that it's not perfect but the steering is better now, and he used to bend tie rods in half while crawling from the torque load

Top Back Refresh